PDA

View Full Version : Practiced Spellcaster (Feat Question)

Brett Wong
2008-11-22, 07:42 PM
If i were a wizard 1 and rogue 4 with the feat 'Practiced Spell-Caster' from C Arc and C Div, would I cast as a 5th level wizard? IE get spell per day, and known ect?

Aneantir
2008-11-22, 07:45 PM
If i were a wizard 1 and rogue 4 with the feat 'Practiced Spell-Caster' from C Arc and C Div, would I cast as a 5th level wizard? IE get new spells ect?

No. It says specifically that it does not advance progression, and only caster level for determining spell length, opposed Spell Resistance checks, and other such variables. You still only have level 1 casting.

Brett Wong
2008-11-22, 07:46 PM
Alight thanks ^^

theMycon
2008-11-22, 07:52 PM
No- it increases your Caster Level by four (up to True Character Level), not your spellcasting level. It seems like a difference made to be intentionally confusing, but them's the rules. I imagine it as "you're practicing the casting as you level, but not focusing on the class. Therefore, you gain the oomph, but not the extra knowledge.

All it does is change the variable effects dependant on levels of the spells you already have. You fire 3 magic missiles instead of one, spells with a range of 400' + 60' per level are 700' instead of 460', stuff like that. a Wiz 5 rog 4 with this would have fireballs that do 9d6 damage instead of 5d6, but you would still only have spells of level 0-3.

I think it also gives you that +4 to Caster Level Checks to overcome Spell resistance, but I don't have the book in front of me. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to confirms or deny.

Douglas
2008-11-22, 08:46 PM
I think it also gives you that +4 to Caster Level Checks to overcome Spell resistance, but I don't have the book in front of me. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to confirms or deny.
Correct. Practiced Spellcaster boosts anything and everything related to caster level except spells per day and spells known, the combination of which incidentally includes your highest spell level. The wizard 1/rogue 4 in the OP would get 3 missiles from Magic Missile, 5d4 damage from Burning Hands, 5 hours of Mage Armor, would roll 1d20+5 vs SR, would have a DC of 16 for dispelling his spells, etc., but would only have 3 cantrips and 1 1st level spell per day, plus any bonus slots from specialization and intelligence. He would not be able to cast any spells of 2nd level or higher.

theMycon
2008-11-22, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=theMycon;5341263I'm sure someone will come along shortly to confirms or deny.[/QUOTE]

I told ya so.