PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Knights: Why no good Fort save?

Mad Wizard
2008-11-23, 12:10 AM
Would it be unbalanced to give Knights a good fort save? It seems to fit well with their fluff, and knights are generally considered to be sub-par, correct?

Edit: also, if you have any optimization advice for a Knight (besides the obvious "be a crusader,") put it here.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-23, 12:18 AM
Would it be unbalanced to give Knights a good fort save? It seems to fit well with their fluff, and knights are generally considered to be sub-par, correct?

Edit: also, if you have any optimization advice for a Knight (besides the obvious "be a crusader,") put it here.

Do you mean give Knights both Good Fort and Good Will instead of just Good Will?

Deepblue706
2008-11-23, 12:20 AM
If you wanna give a Knight a good fort save, I'd say that's fine. Although, then I'd give the Fighter all good saves (among a few other save boosts to other classes).

Mad Wizard
2008-11-23, 12:23 AM
Do you mean give Knights both Good Fort and Good Will instead of just Good Will?

Yes, they would have both. Their reflex save would be their only poor one.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-11-23, 12:27 AM
I dunno, knights are frankly a very good melee class as it is. I've played a few and seen a few played, and thanks to their D12 HD, and abilities that make it actually worthwhile to use a shield, they're damn tough to kill as it is. The poor Fort is basically their only weakness (aside from, you know, not being casters).

ChaosDefender24
2008-11-23, 12:27 AM
No, it's not.

EDIT: Because even with the Fort save, the Knight pales in comparison to its big brother the Crusader.

Flickerdart
2008-11-23, 12:32 AM
No, it's not.
How insightful.

But yeah, as a designated tank, they need good saves. To not die. Those saves they do not have. I mean, even Monks get all good saves. And...well, they're Monks!

Frosty
2008-11-23, 02:22 AM
Crusaders need good Fort saves for sure, maybe a few more bonus feats. Change Knight's Challenge to per Encounter instead of per day.

RTGoodman
2008-11-23, 02:25 AM
I think the point is that Knights are going to already have a huge Con bonus, which will probably MORE than make up for the +6 loss in the base Fort save.

I don't really like that idea though, and think it'd probably be fine to get Knights a good Fort and good Will save, and if not maybe one Good save and one average save (there are rules for that somewhere, but I can't remember where).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-23, 02:28 AM
Yeah, especially with their bonus feats, Knights generally have enough Fort to survive. Of course, I did see one die a couple weeks ago to a Destruction by. :smallannoyed: I even could have counterspelled if it wasn't for the AMF. :smallfurious:

KKL
2008-11-23, 02:51 AM
No it wouldn't, as Knights kinda suck anyways.

Jack Zander
2008-11-23, 05:16 AM
Fluff wise I'd say no, as everyone knows a Knight's only weakness is poison.

Thurbane
2008-11-23, 06:08 AM
You could always grab a couple of Paladin levels - not only do you add to your base Fort save, you also get your CHA bonus to all saves. If you are LN, maybe a couple of Fighter levels for some feats.