PDA

View Full Version : Are there any guides or tutorials for making molds of miniatures?

newbDM
2008-11-23, 03:27 AM
Hi.

Can the modelers here please tell me if you know of any guides or tutorials for making molds of miniatures?

I am currently close to finishing three models (two from total scratch), and I really do not feel like (or have the time) to try to make them again (I barely did well on these), especially since I need quite a bit of all of them.

I am a visual learner, so having pictures would be great to learn this difficult process.

Also, can you please tell me where I can get the necessary materials for all this? Preferably the best priced places?

Thanks in advance for any help!

turkishproverb
2008-11-23, 03:46 AM
If you buy a resin casting kit, they usually have decent directions.

Past that, I'll warn you that when making the mold and cutting the mold open again be very careful to keep the figurine centered properly so you don't end up having a hard time getting future figs out after production.

mabriss lethe
2008-11-23, 03:50 AM
depends on what sort of compounds you plan on using to make your copies. Some of them don't react so well with certain types of molding compounds.

newbDM
2008-11-23, 04:22 AM
If you buy a resin casting kit, they usually have decent directions.

Past that, I'll warn you that when making the mold and cutting the mold open again be very careful to keep the figurine centered properly so you don't end up having a hard time getting future figs out after production.

Isn't resin very fragile?

And I saw a set of of resin stuff at a local store last month. You don't get many models per $30-something worth of material.

Also, I did not buy it because I was worried about some space within the model's legs and the base. How does that end up working?

Models why I originally went to see that set:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/MyLv1chickens.png

There is a space between the chickens' legs, it's body, and the base, which I am not sure what would happen if I tried to mold them.

depends on what sort of compounds you plan on using to make your copies. Some of them don't react so well with certain types of molding compounds.

What? Sorry, I did not understand.

turkishproverb
2008-11-23, 04:39 AM
Isn't resin very fragile?

Not as fragile as you think, mostly they have less give. Still, it's fairly easy to learn to resin cast, they can be modded easily, and they're not weak, just a little stiffer than plastic.

And I saw a set of of resin stuff at a local store last month. You don't get many models per $30-something worth of material.

You don't get many models per $30 something worth of material regardless, and a major component of that cost is the materials to make the mold, which may be the stuff your looking at. The starter kit will be less than sixty bucks most places (and that includes alot of stuff besides the compounds needed to make molds and gunk). The refills will be around 30 for the molds mix (usually enough to do more than one or two figs) and 25-40 for the resin mix depending on the place you buy and amount.

Also, I did not buy it because I was worried about some space within the model's legs and the base. How does that end up working?

You'd need a more detailed tutorial, but the basics is that you have to know how you position the model in the mold to cut the mold properly.

Models why I originally went to see that set:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/MyLv1chickens.png

Ooh, nice. I want to order a regiment of chickens. :smallbiggrin:

There is a space between the chickens' legs, it's body, and the base, which I am not sure what would happen if I tried to mold them.

There would be a little bit of resin mold that would fill the gap until such time you opened the mold again and got the new figurine out. sometimes a thin layer of resin would leek through, but that happens on metal molds a bit too. It's easy to fix.

What? Sorry, I did not understand.

I think he means you use different methods and tutorials depending on the compound you make the mold and new castings of the models out of (IE: Resin, plastic, etc...)

newbDM
2008-11-23, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the info turkish. Much appreciated.

Oh, and is there a way to make more durable molds for resin? The employee at the local store here said that the mold would only last for about ten casts or so, and that I would only get about two figures out of it (which you just confirmed). At around $30 per mold set, and $25-$40 per resin set I don't think it is truly worth it. At least not at my college budget.

Also, how many models can you make with a resin set at $25-$40?

And do you know any good online places to get the stuff?

And I am glad you like the chickens. They are my abyssal chickens. :smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2008-11-23, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the info turkish. Much appreciated.

One is always glad to be of service.

Oh, and is there a way to make more durable molds for resin? The employee at the local store here said that the mold would only last for about ten casts or so, and that I would only get about two figures out of it (which you just confirmed). At around $30 per mold set, and $25-$40 per resin set I don't think it is truly worth it. At least not at my college budget?

1. Ten is probably a little conservative. main thing to remember is that the mold starts breaking down, becoming less precise after that.

2. I said you'd probably get more than 2 figs out of it. In the case of the chickens, I'd guess you could mold both at once and they'd still use up less than the materials to mold one figure. Though your going to want to use a different container than normal when making their mold.

3. That might be a little off, I'm not positive I'd have to check. And you do get a decent amount of resin per bottle.

Still, I know what you mean about college budgets.

Also, how many models can you make with a resin set at $25-$40?

I usually mold bitz/parts and accessories so it's hard to say from memory, but at average 35 MM size i think at least 4 for the small bottle. In the case of your Chickens, I'd imagine you'd get a minimum of a dozen. Still, it has been a while since i did whole minis.

And do you know any good online places to get the stuff?

Online? not offhand.

P.S. found some metal casting tips here (http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=565)

many of the same suggestions could apply to resin.

And I am glad you like the chickens. They are my abyssal chickens.

I like them very much. VERY much.