View Full Version : OOTS Voice Casting Thread

Starscream
2008-11-23, 09:28 AM
I was having a spirited discussion the other day with a fellow Order of the Stick fan and it inevitably turned into a debate about :vaarsuvius:'s gender. She thought V to be male, I thought female.

In the end we ended up discussing not what evidence from the strips we could find to support our views (The Giant has actually been very good at leaving it ambiguous), but how we ended up with those impressions in the first place.

It had never really occurred to me to wonder how I arrived at my assumption, but in the end I decided it was because I watch way too many cartoons.

Relax, I'll get to the point sooner or later.

You see, in my head Order of the Stick is a cartoon. I imagine the characters moving between frames, and speaking with the voices of other characters I have heard. This always happens when I read comics. You can't tell me that Batman doesn't sound exactly like Kevin Conroy, for instance.

In the case of V, I had intentionally tried to assign him/her a mental voice that was too deep to be obviously female, too high to be obviously male (as well as somewhat monotonous and intelligent seeming). I ended up with one sounding rather like a cross between Raven from Teen Titans and Mandy from Billy and Mandy. Because those are both female characters voiced by women, my subconscious seems to have concluded that Vaarsuvius is a girl simply by the voice I imagine him/her with.

When I revealed this, we immediately began arguing about who would voice who in a hypothetical Order of the Stick animated series/movie.

The only voice we could agree on was James Earl Jones as Xykon (he even mentions he sounds like that in SoD). I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks the ideal Fantasy Voice Cast would be.

Here's a few of my own:
*Roy: Brett Butler, from Sealab 2021
*Vaarsuvius: Tara Strong
*Elan: Billy West

xelliea
2008-11-23, 09:54 AM
isnt there a thread about this already

Prime32
2008-11-23, 10:13 AM
isnt there a thread about this already
A lot of threads. From the day the comic started.

Starscream
2008-11-23, 10:22 AM
A lot of threads. From the day the comic started.

Only one I could find was more about live action actors. It does seem like the sort of obvious topic that gets discussed a lot. Everyone would like to see their favorite webcomics adapted somehow.

Just wait til I finish my xkcd screenplay, muhuwahahaha.

Quorothorn
2008-11-23, 02:07 PM
My only consistent opinion on VAing OotS is that some of the Pythons ought to be involved; the world suits them wonderfully.

Also--and this one is purely for the lulz--what about Christopher Lee for Thog? Imagine everyone's favorite half-orc all-bold dialogue coming from the voice of Count Dooku/Saruman/DiZ. EPIC.

Starscream
2008-11-23, 04:25 PM
Also--and this one is purely for the lulz--what about Christopher Lee for Thog? Imagine everyone's favorite half-orc all-bold dialogue coming from the voice of Count Dooku/Saruman/DiZ. EPIC.

As far as I'm concerned Christopher Lee can voice any character he likes. His voice is too awesome to deny any role.

As for the Pythons, maybe John Cleese as Redcloak?

Quorothorn
2008-11-23, 08:01 PM
As far as I'm concerned Christopher Lee can voice any character he likes. His voice is too awesome to deny any role.

As for the Pythons, maybe John Cleese as Redcloak?

Agreed on Lee: he should totally do more VAing. The world needs more of his incredible voice and presence in it (also, and I know I'm going fanboy-y and off-topic here, but I think he should have gotten an award for AotC: he saved that movie).

If Graham Chapman were alive, he should have been Roy (just look at his performance as King Arthur; Only Sane Man incarnate).

I was also thinking John Cheese (:smallwink:) would make a great Shojo, but I think your idea of Redcloak works too. Michael Palin as the polearm storekeeper, of course. The Terrys as the roaches. Eric Idle as one or both of the Hobgoblin commanders, especially if Cleese is Redcloak. These are all guesses, of course, that I might change my mind on later.

Babale
2008-11-23, 08:32 PM
Chuck Norris as Roy!

Salty
2008-11-23, 09:04 PM
Chuck Norris as O-Chul!

Fixed. :smallbiggrin:

The Extinguisher
2008-11-23, 09:32 PM
This has always been my favorite list.

:roy: - Bruce Willis
:elan: - Alan Tudyk
:belkar: - Johnny Depp
:vaarsuvius: - pick any emo singer. Any. :smalltongue:

:xykon: - John Cleese or Ray Wise. One of the two. Maybe both.
:redcloak: - Simon Pegg
:mitd: - Callumn Blue
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/Tsukiko.png - Kathy Coppolla
:roach: - Nick Frost

:nale: - Alan Tudyk
:sabine: - Helena Bonham Carter
:thog: - Ron Perlman

:miko: - Tara Sands
:Shojo: - Alan Rickman
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/O-Chul.png - Mandy Patinkin
:Julio: - Mandy Patinkin (From the past!!!)

Quorothorn
2008-11-23, 10:34 PM
This has always been my favorite list.

:roy: - Bruce Willis
:elan: - Alan Tudyk
:belkar: - Johnny Depp
:vaarsuvius: - pick any emo singer. Any. :smalltongue:

:xykon: - John Cleese or Ray Wise. One of the two. Maybe both.
:redcloak: - Simon Pegg
:mitd: - Callumn Blue
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/Tsukiko.png - Kathy Coppolla
:roach: - Nick Frost

:nale: - Alan Tudyk
:sabine: - Helena Bonham Carter
:thog: - Ron Perlman

:miko: - Tara Sands
:Shojo: - Alan Rickman
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/O-Chul.png - Mandy Patinkin
:Julio: - Mandy Patinkin (From the past!!!)

I like Tudyk.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-11-23, 10:37 PM
I could definitely see Roy sounding like Bruce Willis, but in my head he's always been closer to Will Smith. Elan is Neil Patrick Harris - go watch Dr. Horrible's if you haven't, the guy can sing like wow and if you want Nale and Elan to have the same VA, he's good at evil too. Umm...Kristen Chenoweth for Celia, Cate Blanchett for V, Dakota Fanning for MitD, and Morgan Freeman for Shojo. :P

Starscream
2008-11-23, 10:44 PM
I could definitely hear Will Smith as Roy and Neil Patrick Harris as Elan.

Dakota Fanning as the MITD?!

Too bad Pat Morita is dead, he would make the ultimate Shojo.

How about Tia Carrere as Miko? She voiced the Martian Queen on Duck Dodgers, and is pretty good at arrogant/sexy/tempermental.

MReav
2008-11-23, 10:47 PM
For some reason, I hear Christopher Collins (AKA: G1 Starscream) when Leeky gives his "Foolish girl! I am a Druid! I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class progression!" speech. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0346.html

Starscream
2008-11-23, 11:17 PM
For some reason, I hear Christopher Collins (AKA: G1 Starscream) when Leeky gives his "Foolish girl! I am a Druid! I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class progression!" speech. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0346.html

Wasn't he voiced by Chris Latta, aka Cobra Commander?

MReav
2008-11-23, 11:21 PM

Wikipedia put them as the same person.

Szilard
2008-11-23, 11:35 PM
Now that I think of it, Christopher Lee as Xykon would sound pretty cool.

Starscream
2008-11-23, 11:39 PM
Wikipedia put them as the same person.

That's weird, never knew he went by another name.

I've probably been watching too much Adult Swim recently, but I could hear mc chris, the high pitched nerdcore rapper as :roach:.

Maybe Sean Connery as :durkon:? Only voice work I can remember him doing is Draco from Dragonheart, but since he's retired from traditional acting, maybe he'd be willing to do it. He's got the right accent. David Tennant also has a nice Scottish brogue when using his natural accent.

I'd also love to get Bruce Campbell in there somewhere, because the world needs more Bruce. He'd make a decent :roy: with his deadpan snarkiness, but I can also imagine him as :belkar: shouting "I am a sexy shoeless god of war" in roughly the same tone as "This is my boom-stick!". Danny DeVito would likewise make a good Belkar.

Jim Cummings as either :thog: or :mitd:.

Cree Summer as :sabine:. Don't ask me why, I've just always heard her voice (well, one of them) in my head when reading that character.

Tress MacNeille should definitely be in there somewhere, but I don't know where. Maybe as Crystal.

I could definitely imagine Rob Paulson as :elan:, if the Billy West idea doesn't work.

I still can't think of a good Haley. Now it's going to bug me all night.

MReav
2008-11-23, 11:48 PM
That's weird, never knew he went by another name.

Well, the point I'm trying to make is: Leeky is Starscream.

starwoof
2008-11-23, 11:56 PM
I've always imagined Xykon as sounding like Jack Nicholson.

Niley
2008-11-24, 10:33 AM
A large part of those actors (like Tercelin Kirtley or Paul Bandey - both are from Dark Messiah) are actually from video games, not movies.

:elan: & :nale: Tercelin Kirtley
:vaarsuvius: Not sure.
:thog: Vin Diesel
:haley: Keira Knighley
:miko: Cate Blanchett
:sabine: Angelina Jolie
:mitd: Tom Hanks (no, really!)
:roy: Samuel Jackson
:redcloak: Dwight Schultz
:belkar: RIP Heath Ledger
:durkon: Sean Connery
:xykon: Paul Bandey
Shojo - Ian McKellen
O-Chul - Geoffrey Bateman
Kubota - Eddie Crew
Julio Scoundrel - Antonio Banderas
Celia - Barbara Weber

TerrickTerran
2008-11-24, 11:05 AM

Same person, unfortunately no longer with us. Too bad as he was great as both Commander and Starscream.

Scarlet Knight
2008-11-24, 11:12 AM
:roy: Michael Dorn
:durkon: Sean Connery
:haley: Keira Knightley
:vaarsuvius: David Bowie
:belkar: Joe Pesce
:elan:&:nale: Cary Elwes
:sabine: Angelina Jolie
:thog: James Earl Jones
:redcloak: Christopher Lee
:mitd: Tim Curry
:xykon: Christopher Walken
:roach: Michael Palin & Eric Idle
:miko: Lucy Liu
Julio Scoundrel - Ricardo Montalban

Flame of Anor
2008-11-24, 02:18 PM
:haley:: Felicia Day

Hydro Globus
2008-11-24, 02:50 PM
:roy: Michael Dorn

I already love the idea of Worf being Roy :)

RebelT
2008-11-24, 03:07 PM
:elan: = Robin Williams

"Oh, what a wonderful place!"

Starscream
2008-11-24, 06:32 PM
Same person, unfortunately no longer with us. Too bad as he was great as both Commander and Starscream.

You'd think I'd know this stuff considering my user name. I always just heard him referred to as Chris Latta.