PDA

View Full Version : [Wushu] Example of Play

Kiero
2008-11-23, 09:46 AM
What follows is a fully-worked scenario for Wushu, a rules-light roleplaying game which I have lots of time for. It appears at the end of Wushu Open Reloaded (http://www.story-games.at/wushu/open_reloaded.pdf) to show how the game flows in a real face-to-face game. That flow is one of the things, besides the Principle of Narrative Truth (what the player says happens does, right there and then, and without any dice needing to be rolled) that is distinct about Wushu.

For clarity OOC dialogue is in normal text like this, all IC dialogue is in italics.

Characters

First up, the characters. There's the GM and three players, Alice, Bob and Chris (A, B and C!). They're playing a D&D-esque fantasy game.

Alice is playing Thorgan Hearthstone, a male cleric. His Traits are as follows:
Blessed Words 5 - Inspirational speeches, cleric magic, turning undead.
Soldier of the Temple 4 - Fighting in heavy armour.
Builder 3 - Knowledge of structures and construction.
Vows and Strictures 1 - Can't use edged weapons, must pray daily.

Bob is playing Althea a female sorceress. Her Traits are as follows:
Mistress of the Mysteries 5 - Indirect magics like conjuring and enchantments
Eldritch Ass-kicking 4 - Direct combat magic.
Of Noble Stock 3 - Giving commands and expecting to be obeyed.
Powerless Without Words and Gestures 1 - Needs to be able to speak and move to use her magic.

Chris is playing Walks-in-Shadows a male ranger. His Traits are:
Secrets of the Wild 5 - Tracking, bushcraft, stealth and so on.
Skirmisher 4 - Fast-moving combat.
Uncanny Insights 3 - Seeing and perceiving things others cannot.
Taboos 1 - Collection of things he won't do, including using a sword and killing non-combatants.

The characters are an adventuring party who have been tasked with rescuing villagers who were kidnapped by a cult. They've tracked the cult down to a grove deep in the woods. This is the final conflict of the game.

Setup

GM: You track the cult down to a glade deep in the forest. They are assembled in a kind of service, all robed and hooded in red. Only their leader, conducting the service has his hood down. The five villagers are staked out on the ground, the sounds of their sobbing and plaintive calls for mercy carry across to where the thre of you are hidden. The congregation begin a chant and something flashes in the cult leader's grasp - a sacrificial dagger!
A: Sounds a bit like the end of Brotherhood of the Wolf.
C: Kind of what I was thinking too.
GM: It was the red robes, wasn't it?
B: What's the scene goals here?
GM: Alright, getting to it, there's the Cult Leader who's a Nemesis. He's using Charismatic Speaker 5 and Demon-summoning Magics 4 in the main. He has 4 Chi.
B: The caster is mine!
GM: The cultists are an 18-point mook Threat Rating with a Yin toll of 1. There's a Secondary Goal attached to making the captives safe, that's a 6-pointer with a Yin toll of 1 not to cause any complications that might harm them. Might add more stuff as we go, depending.
C: Let's get at them!
GM: Hang on, the dice cap for the scene is six. Now go!

Round 1 - Describe

A: Stepping out into the glade, I draw a deep breath and proclaim: "This foul business ends here and now!"
C: Very cleric-y! While Thorgan draws the cultists attention towards him, Walks-in-Shadows ghosts off to one side between the trees, moving into a position on the group's flank.
GM: Hooded heads turn towards Thorgan and the cult leader looks up from the captives.
B: Althea joins Thorgan, standing a pace behind his left shoulder, a nimbus of power playing around her hands.
GM: The leader shrieks out "Kill them, kill them both!". Cultists reach for weapons underneath their robes and charge at Thorgan and Althea.
C: The ranger nocks an arrow and snipes at the cultists left guarding the captives. He drops one and puts an arrow through the hand of a second reaching for a weapon.
B: Althea gestures and a lightning bolt zaps the cult leader dead.
A: Veto! You can't take the leader out without even knocking his Chi down!
GM: She's right, you're going to have to amend that Detail.
B: Alright. Althea gestures and a lightning bolt streaks towards the cult leader.
GM: A wild-eyed cultist throws himself into the path of the bolt. "Witness the power of our faith!" the leader calls out as he begins to work magic of his own.
A: I brace myself for the first wave of them, shield forward and hammer held aloft and still. As the first one comes at me, I parry his stroke with my shield and knee him in the groin, crushing his head with my hammer.
B: "Keep them off me" Althea says to Thorgan readying a counter-spell.
A: "I'll do my best" I say to Althea, before headbutting a cultist who tries to grapple with me.
C: Cool image, lone fighter holding back the tides while the mage dukes it out with the cult leader.
A: "Now lets see what this poor excuse for a sorceror has up his sleeve." Althea adds.
GM: Nice pass too, dialogue earns Details just the same as description of stuff. "There are only two of them, cut them down and nothing will stop the glory of our master coming into this world!" The cult leader says as he continues to weave his magic. I think that's more than enough description to move on to resolving this round. Everyone at least reached the six Details if not more.

Round 1 - Resolve

GM: What are you targeting, what Traits are you using, and how are you splitting your dice?
C: I'd say mine was mostly Skirmishing 4, I'm going after the Secondary Goal to free the captives. I'll split my dice 4 Yang, 2 Yin.
A: I started off with some speechy stuff, but that was mostly fighting, so Soldier of the Temple 4, split 5 Yang and 1 Yin against the mook threat.
B: Eldritch Ass-kicking 4 against the Nemesis, I'll go with an even split this time around. What are you using for the cult leader?
GM: There was a bit of magic, but it was mostly talky stuff, exhorting his followers and all that, so Charismatic Speaker 5. I'm going with a 4 Yang, 2 Yin split.
A: Let's roll then.
*clatter*
B: I got 3,3,5 on my Yang and 5,1,4 on Yin. That means two of each flavour.
GM: I rolled 1,3,6,5 for Yang and 3,6 on Yin. So 3 Yang one Yin - so Althea and the cult leader both lose a point of Chi.
A: I rolled 1,6,2,5,1 on Yang and 1 on Yin. So I got the Yin success I needed to cover the toll and cut the mook Threat Rating by my three Yang successes.
C: I got 1,3,4,3 on Yang and 1,6 on Yin. So no complications with that Yin success, and I bring the Secondary Goal down to 2 points. Nice.
GM: OK, on to the next round. Just to recap, the mook TR is now 15/1, the captive secondary goal is 2/1 and the cult leader, and Althea have lost a point of Chi.

Round 2 - Describe

GM: More cultists join the fray against the increasingly threatened Thorgan, while a smaller number at the back turn their attentions towards the elusive threat of Walks-in-Shadows.
B: I want to rationalise my loss of Chi. Work with me GM, here goes. One of the cultists slips past Thorgan's diligent guard and makes for Althea, seeing an easy target. "I thought you were holding them!" She says to Thorgan.
A: "I'm doing the best I can!" I yell back, stoving in a cultist's chest with a solid blow.
B: As he raises his weapon, Althea gestures freezing him in place.
GM: In the heartbeat Althea's attention is off the cult leader, he strikes. Chanting a command word, shadowy tentacles rise from the ground, grapsing the sorceress. Their touch burns.
B: They burn through Althea's outer-most layers of magical protection, but before they reach her skin she utters the counter-spell, causing them to vanish.
A: My turn! Two of the cultists grasp the rim of my shield, trying to wrest it from me. Calling on the name of my god, I am infused with holy might, my armour, shield, holy symbol and hammer all glowing brightly. Momentarily stunned, the cultists fall back in fear. "The wrath of the pure is upon you." I declare, smashing one down with my shining hammer.
C: Walks-in-Shadows fires an arrow on the move, killing another of the guards, then casts his bow aside. Running into view in the clearing, a hachet in each hand, he charges headlong into the cultists angling his way.
GM: Cool. "Don't let him reach the sacrifices!" The cult leader screams gesturing in the direction of the ranger. The closest of them raises a weapon to Walks-in-Shadows.
C: Without even breaking his stride, the ranger ducks under the blow and cuts through the cultist's spine with an axe as he passes.
GM: The cult leader begins to chant, something Althea recognises as a summoning spell.
B: Althea calls out "Walks-in-Shadows, don't let him finish that spell!"
GM: Enough describing, lets resolve.

Round 2 - Resolve

GM: Usual drill.
A: Using my primary Blessed Words 5 this time, mostly buffing magical stuff. On the mook threat again, split 5 Yang 1 Yin this time.
C: Skirmishing 4, 3 Yang on the Secondary Goal, 2 on the mook threat and one against the Yin toll.
B: Eldritch Ass-kicking 4 on the Nemesis, 4 Yang 2 Yin.
GM: Nemesis is using Demon-summoning Magics 4, split even. Roll!
*clatter*
GM: I got 1,4,6 on Yang and 4,6,6 on Yin for 2 Yang and 1 Yin successes.
B: Ha! I got 5,2,4,2 on Yang and 2,2 on Yin for 3 Yang and 2 Yin. I lose nothing and the cult leader loses 2 Chi!
GM: So he's now down to 1 Chi.
A: I rolled 2,6,4,3,3 and 3, for 4 Yang and 1 Yin. Safe again and another chunk out the mook TR.
C: I got 5,3,2 on the SG, 1,4 on the mook TR and 5 on my Yin. So I lose a point of Chi, but the captives are safe and another 2 points out of the mook threat.
GM: Right, the mook TR is now 9/1, Chris gets to describe a Coup de Grace on the Secondary Goal at some point and the cult leader has only 1 point of Chi left. Soon as he goes negative, someone gets to describe a CdG on him. Now both Althea and Walks-in-Shadows have lost a point of Chi. Onwards!

Round 3 - Describe

C: I'm getting my CdG in now on the Secondary Goal. A guard falls dead on one of the captives, his belt knife within reach of the woman's hand. She uses it to cut the rope binding that hand, then in no time has it free and cuts the rest of her bonds. The cultists are busy with the interlopers and pay them no mind and she sets to work freeing the others.
A: Taking advantage of the momentary respite, I shield-charge the nearest cultist, pulverising his comrade before he can react. "Now Althea, hit them before they regroup." I roar.
B: Wasting no time, Althea forms the words of power and points at the cowering cultists. Sparkling motes glitter in the air for a moment, then a half-dozen of them topple to the ground, unconscious.
A: "What, no fireball?" I jibe Althea.
B: "I am capable of some subtlety, you know, priest." Althea retorts. "Besides we may wish to question some of them later."
C: The ranger parries the lunge of a spear with one axe, then takes the face off the owner with the other. He's working his way towards the cult leader as quickly as he can through his followers.
GM: There's a horrible keening sound coming from a patch of ground the cult leader seems intent on. As though the fabric of reality were being painfully parted. A pentagram appears in the soil, air shimmering like a heat-mirage above it.
C: Walks-in-Shadows swears, he'll never make it through at this rate. Drawing his arm back, he hurls one of his axes directly for the cult leader's head.
GM: The axe flies true, but strikes an invisible barrier inches away from skin, dropping to the ground importently. That'll do.

Round 3 - Resolve

GM: Call 'em.
B: Using Mistress of Mysteries 5 this time with some enchantment magics, on the mooks I guess. Go with a 5/1 split.
A: More butt-kicking with Soldier of the Temple 4, on the mooks, split 5/1 as well.
C: Straight Skirmishing 4 again for me, on the cult leader split 4/2.
GM: Cult leader is using Demon-summoning Magics 4, split 3/3. Roll 'em everyone!
*clatter*
GM: I get 3,2,3 on Yang and 2,1,2 on Yin for successes all across the board for the cult leader.
C: Mine's 4,2,3,2 on Yang, so four and 5,2 for one. That's a point of Chi each. He's on 0 I'm on 1.
GM: That means he's still in...just. Up to you if you want to rationalise that loss of Chi next round. Easy Detail.
A: I rolled 4,1,3,3,5 on Yang for all successes, but a 6 on Yin. So lose a point of Chi but take the mook TR down by 5.
B: I got 2,6,4,4,5 on Yang and 1 on Yin. So no loss of Chi and take the mook TR down another 3 points.
GM: To recap then, mook threat is a measly 1/1, Cult leader is on 0 Chi, and Althea and Walks-in-Shadows are both on 1 Chi. Only Thorgan still has a full complement of Chi.

Round 4 - Describe

GM: The cult leader finishes his incantation and the ground shakes and thunder rolls in the sky. A...thing materialises inside the summoning circle. Black as night with three glowing yellow eyes it is roughly the shape of a big cat with row upon row of spines upon its back. New Nemesis here if anyone wasn't clear.
A: "By all that is holy!" I exclaim marching to face this new threat. Brandishing my holy symbol high, it gleams with a pure light as I beseech my god to banish this abomination back to the plane from thence it came.
GM: The summoned thing roars in pain and levels its spines, a stuttering cough sounding as a volley come zipping Thorgan's way.
A: I level my shield, holding it firm as spines impact against it. Others patter off my armour, but fail to find a seam. One passes right through the shield and vambrace pinning my forearm. Pulling it all the way through, I whisper a prayer of healing that closes the wound as though it were never there.
B: "Walks-in-Shadows, stop the summoner." Althea calls out to the ranger.
C: "Anyone would think she was in charge." He mutters to himself as he cuts the last of the cultists in his path down. He draws his knife to replace the axe he threw in his left hand and runs at the leader.
GM: The cult leader's jaw distends and he spews forth a swarm of black flies. They stream towards Walks-in-Shadows, the biting, stinging cloud enveloping him.
C: Walks-in-Shadows closes his eyes and mouth, holding his breath and doing his best to ignore the pain. With gritted teeth he stumbles forward, a step at a time, towards the cult leader.
B: Althea focuses and sends a blast of wind towards the ranger, scattering the remaining cultists still in the fight before blowing the swarm clean off Walks-in-Shadows. She follows it with a lance of flame which vapourises the swarm in a gout of dirty smoke.
C: Neat! Walks-in-Shadows, now covered in livid boils, fights against the burning sensation in his skin and runs straight into the cult leader, knocking him flying with a shoulder-charge before he can form any more magics.
B: Back to the task at hand - the demon.
GM: If you're going after the demon too, I'll extend the cap for it.
B: Drawing deep into her reserves of strength, Althea seeks to unravel the bonds that hold the demon in this world.
GM: Roaring in irritation, it bounds towards the sorceress, accelerating alarmingly fast.
B: With a swipe of her hand, Althea peppers it with conjured bolts of energy, stopping it dead in its tracks. Thorgan takes advantage of the opening to charge into its flank. You're alright with that, A?
A: No probs, carry on.
GM: The demon takes a swipe at the cleric with its paws, disloding the spines from earlier and leaving rake-marks in his shield. Resolve!

Round 4 - Resolve

GM: The demon has 3 Chi and is using Otherworldly Predator 5 as its only Trait. I'll split its twelve Details equally between Thorgan and Althea. Going with 4/2 on each of them.
A: I'm going all out as well, a 5/1 split to do as much harm as possible, Blessed Words 5 again.
B: I'm putting a point against what's left of the mook threat, then splitting 3/2 against the demon. With Eldritch Ass-kicking 4.
C: Skirmishing 4 split 4/2 on the cult leader.
GM: He's using Demon-summoning Magics 4, split 3/3. Roll!
*clatter*
B: 4 on the mook threat to finish it, 1,6,3 for two Yang on the demon and 6,2 for 1 Yin. Oh dear.
A: 5,2,2,6,6 on Yang for three successes and 3 on Yin for one.
GM: I'll do the demon first, then you C. Against Althea 5,2,5,5 for four Yang and 2,5 for 2 Yin. So takes no hits on Chi and puts her on -2! That's a Coup de Grace. On Thorgan 6,4,3,2 on Yang for 3 and 6,5 for one Yin success. So it's down to 1 and so's Thorgan.
C: For Walks-in-Shadows I rolled 2,4,6,2 for 3 Yang successes and 3,2 for two Yin.
GM: He rolls 1,3,5 for two Yang and 5,3,2 for two Yin. No further harm to Walks-in-Shadows and he puts the cult leader on -1 for a Coup de Grace.
C: My second of the fight!
B: I did all the work, though.
GM: So to round up, Althea and the cult leader are out, Coup de Graces being given. Thorgan is on 2 Chi, Walks-in-Shadows on 1 and the demon on 2.

Round 5 - Describe

GM: With a stuttering cough the air between the demon and Althea is filled with spines. Not even her hastily-erected barrier of force can stop them all, and while most are stopped by her closest defenses one finds its way through to impale her gut. She falls to the ground, curling up in a ball around the projectile, clutching at it ineffectually, mouth working silently but not saying anything.
C: Beaten but not defeated, Walks-in-Shadows walks to where the cult leader fell. The man struggles to get to his feet, hands curling into mudras of power. The ranger's axe thuds into his forearm, fizzling the spell and he screams in pain. "Have mercy!" He wails pitifully. "As you would have done these innocents?" Walks-in-Shadows says as he closes. "I think not". He adds and the cult leader gasps and looks down to see the knife through his heart.
A: Might as well get mine in while I can, since I'm not in this round. Seeing their leader defeated, the fight goes out of the cultists. Those still under arms throw down their weapons and drop to their knees. They cross their arms across their chests in a submissive gesture and bow their heads, awaiting their fate. They make no move to assist the demon or get involved.
GM: The demon turns on Thorgan, slamming into him with its full weight and knocking him to the ground.
A: I keep a tight grip on my shield, protecting my face and vitals while trying to bring my hammer to bear.
C: Picking up a spear discarded by one of the cultists, Walks-in-Shadows draws to cast and sights along it. He hurls it with all his strength at the demon.
GM: The spear strikes the demon in its back, eliciting an ear-splitting roar of pain. Momentarily distracted from the prey underneath it, it half-turns towards the new threat and spits spines.
A: Taking advantage of the lull, I swing my hammer into its shoulder, crushing bone.
C: Diving to the ground to avoid the spines, the ranger lands next to the body of a cultist with one of his arrows through his breast. He rolls the man over himself absorbing the worst of the missiles.
GM: Howling in outrage, the demon swats at Thorgan, knocking him off his feet. Resolve!

Round 5 - Resolve

GM: Split evenly between the two of you as before. Otherworldly Predator 5, split 4/2 on each.
C: I'm going all-out this time 6/0, I'll take my licks. Skirmishing 4.
A: Someone has to survive this one to deliver the Coup de Grace. I'm going 4/2 with Soldier of the Temple 4.
*clatter*
GM: On Walks-in-Shadows 5,4,1,2 for four Yang and 2,3 for two Yin. On Thorgan 6,1,4,3 for three Yang and 3,6 for 1 Yin.
C: I got 3,1,3,2,4,2 for all six Yang successes! Go me! Course even while I've put it on -2, I'm on -3 so it narrates me out.
A: I got 2,4,4,3 for four Yang and 2,6 for 1 Yin. So I'm on 0 and it takes even more pain ending on -6!
GM: Only fair then that Thorgan gets the Coup de Grace here.

Round 6 - Closure

GM: Walks-in-Shadows feels a sharp pain in his left leg and as he tries to get up can't move it. His several spines have passed through his lower leg, pinning it to the ground. He feels dizzy and nearly vomits trying to pull one out and slumps back to the ground in his own world of pain.
A: As I get back to my feet, I prepare to receive the demon. At the last possible moment, I sidestep, bringing my hammer down with sickening force on its skull. Like a poleaxed bull it drops dead right there, dissolving into smoke and then blowing away.
GM: The villagers emerge from their hiding places and look nervously on their rescuers, all in a bad way.
A: "You're safe now, we will lead you back to your homes. But first I must tend to my companions." I say.

And there we have it. Make things clearer? Useful to anyone?

Saph
2008-11-23, 10:06 AM
Yeesh, that's a lot of jargon.

Well, good job on the demonstration, but it doesn't really sound like my thing. I prefer games where flowery description isn't linked to in-game effectiveness.

- Saph

Kiero
2008-11-23, 10:26 AM
Yeesh, that's a lot of jargon.

No more than any other RPG. Indeed a lot less than many RPGs have.

Well, good job on the demonstration, but it doesn't really sound like my thing. I prefer games where flowery description isn't linked to in-game effectiveness.

- Saph

It's not simply "flowery description", but genre-appropriate description that gives you effectiveness. Again not a great deal more than you'd be doing in any other game if you're doing more than talking purely in rules-speak.

Most of the variety is from the names of the Traits anyway, rather than terms the rules use.

But it's not for everyone, the point of the example is to showcase exactly what Wushu is about (which isn't always apparent from reading the rules) so people can tell right away whether or not it's their thing.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-23, 10:37 AM
Interesting. It's nice to have some concrete examples to look at. Thank you.

Kiero
2008-11-23, 10:51 AM
Interesting. It's nice to have some concrete examples to look at. Thank you.

Here's a non-combat one.

For absolute contrast to that other one, this will not only feature no combat, but it'll be semi-historical and grounded in reality too. It's a Republican Roman game, using ideas from Social Fu (http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/SocialFu). For one last wrinkle, it's a PvP situation, with two players competing with each other to close the scene out. Chi is renamed Dignitas, Yang is Dagger and Yin is Cloak.

In character dialogue will be distinguished by being in italics, with out of character dialogue in standard text. Traits are picked out in bold.

Setting/Scenario

It's early 66BC at Rome, specifically the People's Assembly convened in the Forum. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the Lex Manilia, proposed by one of the tribunes Gaius Manilius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Manilius), to take command of the war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Mithridatic_War)against Mithridates the Great (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithridates_VI_of_Pontus) from Lucullus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucullus)and give it to Pompey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompey).

It's not a law the Senate wants, Lucullus is one of their own, an aristocratic gentleman. He's also won many victories and riches, however he's unpopular with his soldiers and the common man. Pompey is the people's hero, fresh from victories all around the Mediterranean neutralising the pirate menace. It's a classic showdown of the upper classes against the lower orders.

The Characters

Alex (hereafter A) is playing Gnaeus Caecilius Metellus Nepos, a man of noble plebian descent from that hugely successful political clan, the Caecilii Metellii. He's one of the other tribunis plebes (there were ten).

Using a simplified version of that from Social Fu, his Traits are as follows:
A Name Everyone Knows 5 (his Politics Trait)
Trained in Athens 4 (his Rhetoric Trait)
Served as Contubernalis 3 (his Military Trait)
Aristocratic Hauteur 1 (his Weakness)

Bob (hereafter B) is playing Aulus Livius, an ex-soldier who served under Pompey in Spain, and a client and supporter of the great man. He's also a tribune and rival of Nepos.

His Traits are as follows:
Vir Militaris 5 (his Military Trait)
Agitator 4 (his Rhetoric Trait
New Man on the Rise 3 (his Politics Trait)
Unsavoury Reputation 1 (his Weakness)

Setup

GM: Alright this is the situation, both your characters are at the People's Assembly, to debate this law that will basically let the people stick one to the nobility.
A: My character doesn't want that. He's all about protecting his class and getting one over on populists and upstarts.
B: Livius is on Pompey's payroll and he's got no ties to the established nobility, so he's all for this one.
GM: Perfect, we've got a straightforward contest here, with both of you wanting different things. Stakes? As in what do you get if you win?
B: If Livius wins, the bill passes and he gets to shine.
A: If Nepos wins, the bill is abandoned and Livius is put in his place.
GM: And I guess if you're both narrated out, the meeting is inconclusive. Mechanics-wise, you've both got your 3 points of Dignitas. Swaying the crowd is a 10-point mook threat, with a Yin toll of 1 to keep their attention. You have to get that at all times. But at the same time you can have a stab at each other, so like in a Nemesis conflict you'll need to split your dice between dealing with your rival and keeping the crowd onside. Mechanically there's two ways you can win this one, either by reducing the scene goal first, or taking the other person to negative Dignitas. Clear?
A: Yep.
B: Crystal.
GM: Cap for the scene is five. To keep things varied, let's say you can only use your Primary once in this contest. I'll give a point of Dignitas back to anyone who uses their Tertiary, and two if you use your Weakness.

GM: The Forum is packed and the atmosphere is heady and charged, lots of effort has been made in getting as many people to come to this Assembly as possible. The two of you sit on behind the Rostra with the other tribunes of the plebs. A collection of stony-faced senators is gathered on the edge of the Forum, unable to take any part in these proceedings. The urban praetor takes the auspices, then signals for the Assembly to begin. Manilius stands first, setting out his legislation and his reasons for replacing Pompey. Then he opens the floor to the other tribunes to have their say.

Round 1 - Describe
GM: Right, over to you two.
A: As befits a man who sees himself as future consul, Nepos is the first to get to his feet-
B: But Livius isn't far behind him, not giving his rival an inch of advantage.
GM: The urban praetor frowns at two coming forward to speak at the same time, but does nothing.
A: "Quirites", Nepos says striking a classic oratorial pose and pitching his voice to carry, "do not let yourselves be deceived by the true nature of this bill. For this is not about Rome's glory, but the vanity of one man."
B: While Nepos draws a breath, Livius cuts in with his own distinctive voice, honed on the parade-ground. "How many more good Romans must die needlessly in faraway lands?" He says. "How many must suffer for the pride of men like Lucullus, who cares nothing for the lives of his men, only what they do for his own glory."
GM: The crowd stirs a little in anticipation, the rivalry between Nepos and Livius is well-known, they always relish a good argument.
A: Taking control of the agenda for a moment, Nepos changes tack. "Let us consider the enemy, Mithridates who styles himself 'the Great', enemy of Rome who butchered our people in Asia Province." The mood darkens a little as everyone remembers those dark days when the Pontic ruler took advantage of the Social Wars to invade Anatolia and Greece.
B: "I don't think any man of us here doubts this war needs to be fought, and Roman honour avenged." Livius replies. "But what is at issue is who should be leading this war." He's trying to bring the crowd's minds back to the central issue.
GM: Enough for this round, Resolve.

Round 1 - Resolve

GM: I think it's safe to say you both got the cap of five dice. What Traits are you using, and how are you splitting your dice? Remember you've got a choice of four places to put your dice; Dagger dice to sway the crowd, Cloak dice to keep their attention, Dagger dice to make your opponent look bad and Cloak dice to protect yourself from the barbs of your rival.
A: I want to take him out, so I'm going to put one into Cloak for the crowd and four into Dagger on Livius. Using Trained in Athens 4 to begin with, I'll save my Primary for now.
B: Trying to one-shot me, eh? Well I'm using my Secondary, Agitator 4, as well, splitting between all four goals, one Dagger and one Cloak on the crowd, one Dagger and two Cloak on Nepos.
GM: Alright, roll 'em.
*clatter*
B: I got a three on my Dagger for the crowd, which is a success and a six for Cloak, which isn't. A three on Dagger for him, which is a success, and a three and five for Cloak, which is one. So 1 and zero on the crowd and 1 and 1 in the duel.
A: And I got a three for a Cloak success on the crowd, and a four, two, one and five for three Dagger successes on Livius.
GM: Alright so summing that up, Livius loses a point of Dignitas from the crowd and two from Nepos, which puts him on zero Dignitas.
B: Damn, another point and I'd have been out already!
GM: Nepos meanwhile is safe from the crowd, and loses a point of Dignitas from Livius' barbs, putting him on two.
A: That puts me ahead so far.
GM: Scene goal is down one, courtesy of Livius, so it's on nine. To sum up then, at the end of round one, Livius is on 0 Dignitas and in a bad way, Nepos is on 2 Dignitas and the main scene goal is at 9. Let's hope this isn't your last one, Bob. If you like you can rationalise that loss of Dignitas by describing some setbacks. Same goes for you, Alex.
B: Easy Details, to be honest.

Round 2 - Describe
A: "So you would gloss over the wrongs done to us?" Nepos asks stridently, catching his opponent out for a second.
B: Livius is on the back foot now, and he hears the collective gasp of the crowd as they think this might be embarrasment for him. He feels his cheeks burning and knows his face has coloured with anger at having his words twisted. "No." He begins.
A: "I wonder if my colleague, lacking the pedigree of a Caecilius Metellus, fails to understand the bonds that tie all of us, great and small together."
GM: There are murmurs at Nepos' last point, it didn't strike quite the note he'd intended with the crowd.
B: Regaining some composure, Livius raises his voice. "It's true my family came from humble beginnings, my father was no great politician or land owner. I've had to get to where I am through hard work, something everyone who hasn't been born to luxury understands." He says raising a fist which emphasises the defined muscles in his arms and shoulders, plainly visible with the sleeveless tunic he's chosen to wear.
A: "Perhaps it is the will of the gods that men are born to the station they are, thus the best men are in place to guide the Republic, while still others see to other matters."
B: "Straight from the horses' own mouth, the gods ordain that he should have every advantage, while the rest of us get whatever scraps they deign to let fall our way." Livius says, working himself up into a righteous anger.
A: "With great power comes great responsibility, and with priviliege comes duty." Nepos responds. "My family has served the Republic honorably for generations, protecting our prosperity and way of life, stewarding Rome for future generations."
B: "Protecting your own prosperity, you mean, and keeping all the wealth to yourself."
GM: And I think that's enough, some great stuff there.

Round 2 - Resolve

GM: How are you splitting your dice, and what Trait are you using. Both got the full five again.
A: One on Cloak for the scene, two on Dagger on him, two on Cloak against him. Using my primary, A Name Everyone Knows 5.
B: One on Cloak for the scene, and the same split as Alex, but using A New Man on the Rise 3, so I regain a point of Dignitas.
GM: Dice!
*clatter*
A: I got a six for scene Cloak, so no successes there. In the duel, 3 and 2 on Dagger and 5 and 6 on Cloak.
GM: So Nepos loses a point of Dignitas from the crowd, and gets two Dagger and one Cloak successes against Livius.
B: I got lucky, all aces! A one on my Cloak for the scene for a success, and againt Nepos a 3 and 2 on Dagger, with a 1 and 2 on Cloak for all successes.
GM: Livius gets one back for using his Tertiary, doesn't lose one from the crowd, and with two of each type of success doesn't lose any Dignitas to Nepos, and stings him with one of his own. So to sum up, scene is still at 9 points, and now you're both on 1 Dignitas, so things are even. Alex you can't use your Primary again in this conflict. The contest is back on. Lucky escape for you there, Bob. Alex if you want to rationalise your loss of Dignitas in your narrative, you're welcome to.
A: Cool.

Round 3 - Describe

GM: The Assembly is definitely warming up now, street vendors are doing a roaring trade on the edges of the forum as people buy snacks to eat while they listen to the debate. The other tribunes are left wondering whether to join in the fray, or wait to see which way the crowd are going.
B: Livius presses on. "Lucullus has won some victories," he says bringing the discussion back to topic, "but he's done more plundering than fighting, enriching himself at the cost of Roman lives."
A: "And what would you know of fighting in the East?" Nepos asks.
B: "My father was a centurion with Sulla in the last war with Mithridates, and I've known my own share of combat." Livius says pulling up the hem of his tunic to expose a thigh. "Here is where an Iberian javelin pierced my leg in Lusitania, fighting against the rebel Sertorius." He adds showing a puckered scar. There are murmurs of assent in the crowd at his reference to physical bravery.
A: "You are not alone on this rostra in having shed blood for the Republic, all of us have served our time under the eagle." Nepos says airily, perhaps not as convincing as he could be. He knows talking of military experience was a mistake. "We must question why Gnaeus Pompeius desires this command. Has he not had enough glory already? Are there no ends to his ambition?"
B: "If he is the best man for the job, surely it is the right decision."
A: "But where will it lead? For hundreds of years our constitution has ensured that no one man gains too much power, becomes so great that no others may shine. Do I need to remind you of the dark days when a crazed Marius held sway over Rome and honest citizens were murdered in the streets?
GM: Cut! Let's Resolve.

Round 3 - Resolve
GM: Call them.
B: Using my Primary, Vir Militaris 5, one Cloak on the crowd, three Dagger on Nepos and one Cloak for myself.
A: Using Trained in Athens 4, one Cloak on the crowd, and two of each on Livius again.
*clatter*
B: 3 on the first one, on Nepos a 5,5,4 on Dagger and 6 on the Cloak, for two Dagger and zero Cloak.
A: 5 on the crowd-Cloak, 1 and 2 on Dagger and 2 and 6 on Cloak for two Dagger and one cloak.
GM: So Livius is safe from the crowd and holds their interest, Nepos loses a point of Dignitas putting him on 0. Then in the exchange Livius loses two points, putting him on -1, but Nepos also loses a point, so they're currently tied on -1. Which means you're both narrated out and it's a draw. Which means I get the Coup de Grace.

Coup de Grace

GM: Invoking the memory of Marius and his Bardyaei, mobs of freed slaves inflicting atrocities on any perceived enemy casts a pall on the proceedings. What previous animation and interest there might have been seems to dissipate, as though the expectant crowd finally lets out a held breath. Neither Nepos nor Livius is able to gain the momentum again, and eventually the meeting fizzles out without actually reaching the matter of a vote. The urban praetor closes the Assembly with the action that another will be scheduled when the calendar allows. Neither man really shone, nor did they disgrace themselves, and perhaps for a few days the Forum gossips will be repeating certain points made by either man, imagining they themselves had been the ones to utter it.
A: Appropriate in it's own way, I guess.
B: I thought you had me, that first round. Could have all been over then.
A: Got lucky with the dice, was all.
GM: So what are your characters going to do now?

kjones
2008-11-23, 11:15 AM
Man, narrativism is weird.

Kiero
2008-11-23, 11:47 AM
Man, narrativism is weird.

This is categorically NOT narrativism. A game based on narrative is not narrativist.

Dogs in the Vineyard is narrativist. Sorceror is narrativist. My Life With Master is narrativist. The Mountain Witch is narrativist. This is nothing to do with overarching themes, or laser-focus on a particular mechanic to resolve a specific style of conflict, or any of the other things Nar games are supposed to feature.

It's simply a rules-light game. Note most Nar games aren't rules-light either, DitV certainly isn't.

Raum
2008-11-23, 12:20 PM
And there we have it. Make things clearer? Useful to anyone?A few questions if you don't mind. First, is it normal for the GM to tell metagame details to the players? You started the scenario by stating how much Chi (I'm guessing life / health related) the summoner had. Second, how does stopping the descriptive actions to resolve affect game play? Does it prevent building tension to a climax? Is there a reason they avoid the more turn based format of resolving each action as it happens?

It looks like an interesting system but, at first glance, it appears too 'metagamey' for me...similar to SotC. Like most games I'd probably have to play it to know what it's really like. :)

Kiero
2008-11-23, 12:53 PM
A few questions if you don't mind.

No problem. :smallsmile:

First, is it normal for the GM to tell metagame details to the players? You started the scenario by stating how much Chi (I'm guessing life / health related) the summoner had.

It's one of many things about the game that's purely choice of the GM/group. I prefer to have those sorts of things out in the open, and represent Nemeses Chi with a stack of poker chips. I've heard of other people representing them with sweets or the like, which the players get to eat each time they take them down.

You could have it secret behind your screen if you use one (I don't), and just declare when the player gets a Coup de Grace (which is a bonus bit of narration outside the usual flow anyway). I'm not sure it would work as well, though if all the scene goals are "blind", from the perspective of the players having little to go on, or sense of the pacing.

One point though, Chi isn't life/health. It's a measure of plot importance that's more abstract than just health. Running out of Chi doesn't mean you're injured/dead/incapacitated, just unable to continue contributing to what's going on for one reason or other. That's one of the points of the second example, demonstrated how Chi can function as "face" or reputation in a non-combat context.

Second, how does stopping the descriptive actions to resolve affect game play? Does it prevent building tension to a climax? Is there a reason they avoid the more turn based format of resolving each action as it happens?

It can do, if you feel like halting things at arbitrary points to get some resolution in is jarring for your immersion.

There is a reason why it's done that way - to encourage the kind of inter-mingled weaving of the narrative you see, and so that everyone rolls at the same time. In the first example, A and B did a lot of working off each other. One would describe a bit, then the other would pick up where they left off and do some more.

It's much easier (and IMO more fun) to come up with a round's narrative bit by bit, everyone pitching in ideas, riffing off each other and keeping it fresh, than plumping down a whole cluster in one.

Critical thing is what the players describe happening does as and when they describe it. They're not conditional on the rolls at all. The dice don't tell you "how well you did", but how significant your chosen actions were in deciding the course of the overall scene. You'll note there were no "I'll try to..." type descriptions.

It looks like an interesting system but, at first glance, it appears too 'metagamey' for me...similar to SotC. Like most games I'd probably have to play it to know what it's really like. :)

There's a lot less of the metagame than the likes of tagging and compelling Aspects in SotC. But yes, there are elements of it.

In fairness I'm not really seeing how that's any different to more traditionally structured games, which do have metagame elements that need to be enunciated. Only difference might come when people are so used to the system that they no longer have to speak them out loud.

Raum
2008-11-23, 03:23 PM
There's a lot less of the metagame than the likes of tagging and compelling Aspects in SotC. But yes, there are elements of it.

In fairness I'm not really seeing how that's any different to more traditionally structured games, which do have metagame elements that need to be enunciated. Only difference might come when people are so used to the system that they no longer have to speak them out loud.Interesting, thanks for the example and the explanation! I'll look for an opportunity to try it in play some time...

On the metagame issue, you're correct. Savage Worlds may minimize it more than most other games (a 4 is a success, so simply roll then narrate success or failure) but even it can be fiddly.

Kiero
2008-11-23, 08:24 PM
Interesting, thanks for the example and the explanation! I'll look for an opportunity to try it in play some time...

On the metagame issue, you're correct. Savage Worlds may minimize it more than most other games (a 4 is a success, so simply roll then narrate success or failure) but even it can be fiddly.

Just glad it was useful! In either direction, if it tells you "this is not for me" then it's served it's purpose. Same goes if you think "I could play this". Works very well for pick-up games where no one has prepared anything, since chargen is very simple and fast. Someone has even written a short article (http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/WushuPick-UpGames)outlining how you might do that. I've found it works.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-24, 04:30 AM
Chi is renamed Dignitas, Yang is Dagger and Yin is Cloak.
I like that.

This is categorically NOT narrativism. A game based on narrative is not narrativist.
Yeah, the terminology's a bit confusing there...

It's simply a rules-light game. Note most Nar games aren't rules-light either, DitV certainly isn't.
Eh, DitV isn't too bad once you strip away all the fluff and examples. You could probably fit a crib sheet for the player mechanics on, what, two, three pages?

I've heard of other people representing them with sweets or the like, which the players get to eat each time they take them down.
Damn.

It's much easier (and IMO more fun) to come up with a round's narrative bit by bit, everyone pitching in ideas, riffing off each other and keeping it fresh, than plumping down a whole cluster in one.
Unfortunately, I feel this is the bit that doesn't really accord with my particular needs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95629), due to the dependance on initiative order and frequent back-and-forth feedback.

I also have some general puzzlement with the resolution mechanism. I mean, why can't Livius simply keep riffing on his Vir Militaris trait by bringing up the subject over and over? Sure, it might be a bit of a non-sequitor now and again, but I don't see anything in the rules to penalise that- are you just relying on vetos/social contract here?

elliott20
2008-11-24, 05:19 AM
I think that's what the vetos are technically for. If your description is boring and uninspired, or repetitive, then people can always veto it and move on.

but over all, I think it does rely on social contracts in some form, as a player who just doesn't have it in him to pull out some description is just not going to do well in this game.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-24, 05:41 AM
I suppose that's true. All in all, very instructive.

Kiero
2008-11-24, 07:53 AM
Unfortunately, I feel this is the bit that doesn't really accord with my particular needs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95629), due to the dependance on initiative order and frequent back-and-forth feedback.

There is no "initiative order" in Wushu, everything happens simultaneously or in whatever order people speak. Back and forth is more of a face-to-face thing. For PbP play you can just have everyone give a single-post filibuster for their action for the round. That's how I do it, you can see my current PbP game here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=421215).

I also have some general puzzlement with the resolution mechanism. I mean, why can't Livius simply keep riffing on his Vir Militaris trait by bringing up the subject over and over? Sure, it might be a bit of a non-sequitor now and again, but I don't see anything in the rules to penalise that- are you just relying on vetos/social contract here?

You could use it over and over, provided you could keep coming up with different spins on it and not get repetitive. Otherwise it is social contract enforced via the Veto if people think you're abusing it.

There are optional rules around which Trait is used when. For example I often say in any conflict you get the first use of your Primary/5 Trait free, after that it costs you a point of Chi. You also get back a point of Chi for voluntarily using your Tertiary/3 Trait. And get all your Chi back for voluntarily using your Weakness/1 Trait.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-24, 08:08 AM
There is no "initiative order" in Wushu, everything happens simultaneously or in whatever order people speak. Back and forth is more of a face-to-face thing. For PbP play you can just have everyone give a single-post filibuster for their action for the round. That's how I do it, you can see my current PbP game here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=421215).
The thing is, in your examples there pretty clearly is an initiative order, in that the players take alternate turns speaking. Sure, I can just have players filibuster for their action for the round, but I guess I'd prefer to see the PBP example first.

There are optional rules around which Trait is used when. For example I often say in any conflict you get the first use of your Primary/5 Trait free, after that it costs you a point of Chi. You also get back a point of Chi for voluntarily using your Tertiary/3 Trait. And get all your Chi back for voluntarily using your Weakness/1 Trait.
Oh... yeah, I missed that.

EDIT: Yeah, registration required. I'll take a gander and get back to you.

Kiero
2008-11-24, 08:26 AM
The thing is, in your examples there pretty clearly is an initiative order, in that the players take alternate turns speaking. Sure, I can just have players filibuster for their action for the round, but I guess I'd prefer to see the PBP example first.

Well, only an order insofar as everyone can't talk at once. It's not one mandated by the system, just a case of whenever people jump in to say something.

Mechanically, everything takes place at the same time. Everyone rolls at the same time, and the effects at the scene level happen at the same time. So you can't have someone narrated out and their effect on the scene be nullified that round because it happens at the same time as they go out.

Oh... yeah, I missed that.

Actually you didn't miss it, it's not been written into Reloaded yet. One of those we've been talking about and some people use, but hasn't been added.

EDIT: Yeah, registration required. I'll take a gander and get back to you.

Oh, didn't realise the PbP fora were members-only. I thought it was public, but obviously not.

EDIT: If you're already looking at PbP games, thinking about it some completed ones might offer more insight. I usually run one-shot games that have about three conflict scenes in them and take a month all told. The first part of the one I linked before is here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=375144). Here's that other one (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=305949), the Star Wars game. I've got about three more that went to completion, but those are the coolest, IMO.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-24, 09:58 AM
Mechanically, everything takes place at the same time. Everyone rolls at the same time, and the effects at the scene level happen at the same time. So you can't have someone narrated out and their effect on the scene be nullified that round because it happens at the same time as they go out.
Yeah, but sometimes order is important- notably, during long conversational exchanges, (or if you ever try to introduce tactical dependancies in combat.) It might help if I could see the OOC threads- I'm having a little trouble following the underlying mechanics in play?

EDIT: If you're already looking at PbP games, thinking about it some completed ones might offer more insight. I usually run one-shot games that have about three conflict scenes in them and take a month all told.
Ah... ideally, I'd like to accelerate that to 1-3 conflict scenes per week. But that is a good potential model, so thanks.

Kiero
2008-11-24, 10:05 AM
Yeah, but sometimes order is important- notably, during long conversational exchanges, (or if you ever try to introduce tactical dependancies in combat.) It might help if I could see the OOC threads- I'm having a little trouble following the underlying mechanics in play?

There's nothing but chatter in the OOC threads. All the mechanics are in the spoilered text in at the bottom of the posts. Usually it's me setting up the scene goals, then keeping track of them, and the players saying what Trait they're using and what they roll.

In PbP I don't have separate Describe and Resolve phases, they're merged together. Each player does their own Resolve at the bottom of their post. Speeds things up.

Ah... ideally, I'd like to accelerate that to 1-3 conflict scenes per week. But that is a good potential model, so thanks.

You'd really have to press the pace with people posting multiple times a day. Usually I can get a round a day done, with one post from each player being a round. That seems to take a month to do three in total with linking dialogue and plot.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-24, 10:15 AM
There's nothing but chatter in the OOC threads. All the mechanics are in the spoilered text in at the bottom of the posts. Usually it's me setting up the scene goals, then keeping track of them, and the players saying what Trait they're using and what they roll.
Oh, so that's what the block boxes are!

In PbP I don't have separate Describe and Resolve phases, they're merged together. Each player does their own Resolve at the bottom of their post. Speeds things up.
Fair enough.

You'd really have to press the pace with people posting multiple times a day. Usually I can get a round a day done, with one post from each player being a round. That seems to take a month to do three in total with linking dialogue and plot.
This is partly why I've been hoping to adapt burning wheel combat mechanics- it mandates scripting your moves out several steps in advance, and combined with instincts/contingencies, and given the gritty combat mechanics, it could allow for the resolution of an entire fight scene in just one round of posts. I suspect that inability to parallelize conversation may also be a bottleneck here, so I was hoping to apply a similar approach.

How long do you typically spend on dialogue/plot linking, relative to combat? And how many rounds does the average combat last?

Kiero
2008-11-24, 10:31 AM
Oh, so that's what the block boxes are!

I probably should have mentioned that! :smallredface:

Fair enough.

It's a necessary concession to the format of PbP games. Also why I was keen to distinguish how a face to face game flows by comparison.

This is partly why I've been hoping to adapt burning wheel combat mechanics- it mandates scripting your moves out several steps in advance, and combined with instincts/contingencies, and given the gritty combat mechanics, it could allow for the resolution of an entire fight scene in just one round of posts. I suspect that inability to parallelize conversation may also be a bottleneck here, so I was hoping to apply a similar approach.

Best you can manage here (recognising there's no task-based limitation on how many actions you perform) is when players trust each other enough to play each other's characters - as far as dialogue and that sort of thing go. With my regular crop of players we're all happy to use each other's charaters and NPCs in their round's description.

How long do you typically spend on dialogue/plot linking, relative to combat? And how many rounds does the average combat last?

Funny thing about PbP games, I tend to find if there's no conflict (not just combat, but rather something involving dice-rolling) going on, the game can stagnate. So I try to limit it to a round of posts or two between conflict scenes.

Length of combat is based on the number you set for mook conflicts, roughly. There's a formula in Reloaded as to how you calculate it. Basically the threat is based on how many rounds you want it to go on for. I usually intend for three, acknowledging that it takes longer if you've got other things in the scene like Nemeses or Secondary Goals.

Jasdoif
2008-11-24, 01:10 PM
A few things.

First, you really need to underline or bold or size increase the link to that PDF in your first post. It's significantly clearer than the official Wushu document all around.

Second, looks very weird and very interesting at the same time. I suppose the two do go hand-in-hand, a good deal of the time.

Third, are PvP conflicts like the second example of play normally resolved with dice allocation announced to everyone? The analyst in me says that knowing how many dice are being allocated against you will influence how you allocate your dice.

Kiero
2008-11-24, 01:26 PM
A few things.

First, you really need to underline or bold or size increase the link to that PDF in your first post. It's significantly clearer than the official Wushu document all around.

Done! Made it bold, hopefully that should be easier to spot.

Glad you found it easier to read than Open; that was the basic intent in myself and a few others writing Reloaded. Dan wrote Open in a style that he found interesting, and as a primer for other people to write their own Wushu games (so far there's one published by someone else). We wanted something that was more accessible to people reading it.

Second, looks very weird and very interesting at the same time. I suppose the two do go hand-in-hand, a good deal of the time.

They can do, even if all it does is give you some ideas for things to do with whatever you're working on yourself, it's served its purpose.

Third, are PvP conflicts like the second example of play normally resolved with dice allocation announced to everyone? The analyst in me says that knowing how many dice are being allocated against you will influence how you allocate your dice.

It's another one of those things that's entirely down to group preference. You could declare them quietly to the GM, and reveal when you roll I guess.

Something to note there; PCvPC conflicts and PCvNemesis conflicts are identical.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-25, 12:58 PM
Agreed. It's quite nicely done.

Human Paragon 3
2008-11-25, 02:47 PM
Thanks for this example- I'd always kind of wondered how Wushu would actually play out. This has been very helpful, even if I probably will not play the system.

Kiero
2008-11-25, 03:15 PM
Thanks for this example- I'd always kind of wondered how Wushu would actually play out. This has been very helpful, even if I probably will not play the system.

Then it served it's purpose. :smallsmile:

elliott20
2008-11-27, 12:01 AM
it actually looks to me that Wushu, with a bit tinkering, can be an excellent way to run a PbP game.

Kiero
2008-11-27, 04:16 AM
it actually looks to me that Wushu, with a bit tinkering, can be an excellent way to run a PbP game.

Way ahead of you there, I can confirm that it certainly does. Though it does flow differently, by necessity in the format. I linked some of the games I'm running/have run in PbP with Wushu, upthread.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-27, 04:33 AM
The absence of initiative order is nice, but I don't think it's particularly well-suited to conversational exchanges or tactical dependancies. I mean, there basically aren't any well-known RPGs specifically built to accord with the needs of PBP gaming, but Wushu looks to be better at it than most.

Athaniar
2008-11-27, 05:33 AM
I've never heard of this game before, but it sounds interesting.

EDIT:

After reading the rules (http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/HomePage), I am now even more intrigued by this game. You can do almost anything you like with it, as long as you do it cool, and there is no need to memorize complicated rules.

Kiero
2008-11-27, 09:49 AM
I've never heard of this game before, but it sounds interesting.

EDIT:

After reading the rules (http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/HomePage), I am now even more intrigued by this game. You can do almost anything you like with it, as long as you do it cool, and there is no need to memorize complicated rules.

Did you read these rules I linked in the OP (http://www.story-games.at/wushu/open_reloaded.pdf)? They're much easier to read, and have all kinds of options besides what's in core Open.

It would be more accurate to say as long as you do it in genre, than simply "cool".

Athaniar
2008-11-27, 02:54 PM
I must agree that those rules are indeed more comprehensive, but now my neck hurts...

Kiero
2008-11-27, 05:10 PM
I must agree that those rules are indeed more comprehensive, but now my neck hurts...

Your PDF reader doesn't rotate? :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2008-11-27, 08:47 PM
Your PDF reader doesn't rotate? :smalltongue:It is kind of inconvenient to have to do that, you must admit :smalltongue:

Anyway, for those unaware, in Acrobat Reader (The version 9 that I have at present, at least) you can right-click the page and select "Rotate clockwise."

Vortling
2008-11-27, 09:05 PM
Thank you sir for writing up this play example. I may be looking into this Wushu system in the future.

elliott20
2008-11-27, 09:05 PM
I just rotated my screen. my coworkers thought I had a malfunction or something.

Great, now I want to play in a PbP Wushu game.

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-28, 12:03 AM
1st - thanks for the tip, my neck was killing me.

2nd - I think this system might be perfect for my best friend's fiance. She kinda got fed up and quit the BESM game, I think because of the lack of narrative control.

Kiero
2008-11-28, 08:05 AM
It is kind of inconvenient to have to do that, you must admit :smalltongue:

Anyway, for those unaware, in Acrobat Reader (The version 9 that I have at present, at least) you can right-click the page and select "Rotate clockwise."

I didn't put the PDF together, I just wrote most of it. :smallredface:

Thank you sir for writing up this play example. I may be looking into this Wushu system in the future.

Hope it gives you some ideas, at the very least.

I just rotated my screen. my coworkers thought I had a malfunction or something.

Great, now I want to play in a PbP Wushu game.

Cool. As I said, PbP games flow differently, I linked some of my own upthread (though you have to be an RPGnet member to see them).

1st - thanks for the tip, my neck was killing me.

2nd - I think this system might be perfect for my best friend's fiance. She kinda got fed up and quit the BESM game, I think because of the lack of narrative control.

As before, I hope you get something useful out of it. It can be harder for "seasoned" gamers to grasp than newbies.

Raum
2008-11-28, 01:30 PM
I didn't put the PDF together, I just wrote most of it. :smallredface:I would recommend a different format. It's not very printable as is. If you do leave the format the same, I'd recommend setting the default view so it's rotated and readable immediately.

Kiero
2008-11-28, 02:05 PM
I would recommend a different format. It's not very printable as is. If you do leave the format the same, I'd recommend setting the default view so it's rotated and readable immediately.

I'll recommend it for the new version. Makes sense to do that as you say for the sake of those without viewers that rotate.

Knaight
2008-11-29, 12:19 PM
Looks interesting, I might actually be playing this fairly soon. I didn't even know you could get Wushu for free, and the example piqued my interest.

Kiero
2008-11-29, 02:06 PM
Looks interesting, I might actually be playing this fairly soon. I didn't even know you could get Wushu for free, and the example piqued my interest.

You can get both original Open, and the slightly newer Reloaded for free.

It's only if you want the themed versions, with some special optional rules and their own examples of play that you get a pay-version. Besides Wire-Fu, Pulp-Fu and Wrd-Fu (along with Car-Fu, Gun-Fu and Cut-Fu supplements), there's Roanoke.