PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Help

Aramil Liadon
2008-11-23, 05:32 PM
A few friends and I plan to go out caroling this Christmas. I promised to learn a few carols on the trumpet before then, and things are going decently well. I have weak lips, but a little practice will surely fix that. The biggest catch so far, is the intrument itself.

When I go outside, the valves freeze up.
I assume it's a natural reaction of valve out to become more viscous when it cools down, but I kind of need to play more than 4 notes! And, worse yet, it's only 268K out there! By the time Christmass comes about, it will likely be no warmer than 255K, at best. Is there a way around this, or should I learn to sing?

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-23, 05:43 PM
contact the local branch of the salvation army - they are the masters of cold weather brass music ;)

FdL
2008-11-23, 07:12 PM
A few friends and I plan to go out caroling this Christmas. I promised to learn a few carols on the trumpet before then, and things are going decently well. I have weak lips, but a little practice will surely fix that. The biggest catch so far, is the intrument itself.

When I go outside, the valves freeze up.
I assume it's a natural reaction of valve out to become more viscous when it cools down, but I kind of need to play more than 4 notes! And, worse yet, it's only 268K out there! By the time Christmass comes about, it will likely be no warmer than 255K, at best. Is there a way around this, or should I learn to sing?

Besides your problem being a bit unusual, though understandable, I must admit I am intrigued as to why you express temperatures in Kelvin. Is that the usual way where you live?

Aramil Liadon
2008-11-23, 07:22 PM
Not at all, not at all. However, saying that it is -5 degrees is somewhat imprecise. I live in Celcius, but a mere long way to the south of me, temperature would be measured in Farenheit. This way, nobody except the scientests know what I mean, so it's a level field.

Szilard
2008-11-23, 07:29 PM
Besides your problem being a bit unusual, though understandable, I must admit I am intrigued as to why you express temperatures in Kelvin. Is that the usual way where you live?

I am wondering the same.

Wait, I see that you posted. I'm pretty sure everyone except most Americans would understand Celcius perfectly.

13_CBS
2008-11-23, 07:31 PM
I know a skilled brass instrument player who could lend you some advice. What instrument do you play?

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-23, 07:43 PM
I know a skilled brass instrument player who could lend you some advice. What instrument do you play?

I promised to learn a few carols on the trumpet before then,

snuck past ya!

13_CBS
2008-11-23, 07:59 PM
snuck past ya!

Whoops. :smallfrown:

In that case, I'll return with some sage advice.

BizzaroStormy
2008-11-23, 09:22 PM
I am wondering the same.

Wait, I see that you posted. I'm pretty sure everyone except most Americans would understand Celcius perfectly.

Actually its taught very early in a standard chemistry class in high school so most on this forum should be able to understand that you just subtract 273 to get the number in Celsius. The only problem is that then its in Celsius in a country where temperatures are expressed commonly in Farenheit and while there is a formula to convert one to another, its dificult for most to remember, let alone use in your head...anyway back on topic.

It sounds like a lubrication issue to me. Try using something rated for colder temperatures.

Jack Squat
2008-11-23, 09:44 PM
My brother plays Trumpet...he said to soak (10 minutes max) and scrub the valves with vinegar, scrub the holes out and make them nice and shiny, and make sure the inside of the valve case is clean.

Oil lightly every other day, even if you don't need it.

Maybe get one of those leather valve case covers and stick some hot hands there or something. It might help, might not.

...be sure to deck out your trumpet with a pack of battery powered christmas lights and tinsel :smalltongue:

EDIT: He said he uses Super C (hard to find) or Al Cass FAST (it's a clear bottle with a rocket ship).

@^ He may be over-lubing as well...that can gum up moving parts pretty well.

What Trumpet do you have?

AmberVael
2008-11-23, 11:42 PM
Having played a mellophone (to those who don't know- it is essentially a big trumpet. It is used commonly by french horn players for marching band, since you can't march well with a french horn) in all variety of temperatures and weather conditions, I can say while weather may contribute to an issue, I've never seen all the valves stick just because of cold.

It may be, as Jack Squat says, over-lubing. You only need a light amount of oil, and adding more won't help, no matter the temperature.
And Hot Hands are amazing. I totally inserted those things into my gloves during cold seasons. :smalltongue: I'm not sure how much they would help, but they might be of some use.

thubby
2008-11-23, 11:58 PM
find a place that sells trumpets, ask them.

Szilard
2008-11-24, 12:11 AM
Actually its taught very early in a standard chemistry class in high school so most on this forum should be able to understand that you just subtract 273 to get the number in Celsius. The only problem is that then its in Celsius in a country where temperatures are expressed commonly in Farenheit and while there is a formula to convert one to another, its dificult for most to remember, let alone use in your head...anyway back on topic.

It sounds like a lubrication issue to me. Try using something rated for colder temperatures.

So it is 273, I have to remember that now.:smalltongue: I remember learning it in middle school but I've always forgotten the exact number.

And sure, people learn that, but most forget, like me.

Also, the only countries that commonly uses Farenheit anymore are the United States and some island in the pacific. (No, not Hawaii.:smalltongue:)

The formula is F=(9/5)C+32.

And yes, sounds like you are using too little/much valve oil.

RTGoodman
2008-11-24, 12:40 AM
Like others have said, give the trumpet a nice bath (which should make it pretty and shiny, too), and then hit it up with a good amount of valve oil. I, like Jack's brother apparently, preferred Al Cass valve oil and it's only a couple of bucks for a small bottle. Definitely DO NOT buy the valve oil called "Blue Stuff" - it'll ruin the horn if you've used clear valve oil before, and I personally just don't think it's that great.

[sWc]Konman
2008-11-24, 12:53 AM
like everyone else is saying, hit it with oil before you go out. it wont freeze as easy..

mangosta71
2008-11-24, 12:54 AM
Technically, 273.15 :smalltongue: I played low brass instruments in high school and college (specialized in trombone), and I used grease on the slide instead of oil. Was better lubrication, lasted longer, and didn't gum up the works nearly as much. You might ask the local music store about some of that. Only takes a tiny bit, so the little 5-oz containers will last you a long time.

Also, if you've never accompanied a choir before, remember that you'll probably need to play pretty softly to keep from drowning them out. Especially a small group. A trombone can match the volume of an 80 person chorus, and trumpets are more easily audible.

skywalker
2008-11-24, 01:27 AM
Technically, 273.15 :smalltongue: I played low brass instruments in high school and college (specialized in trombone), and I used grease on the slide instead of oil. Was better lubrication, lasted longer, and didn't gum up the works nearly as much. You might ask the local music store about some of that. Only takes a tiny bit, so the little 5-oz containers will last you a long time.

Also, if you've never accompanied a choir before, remember that you'll probably need to play pretty softly to keep from drowning them out. Especially a small group. A trombone can match the volume of an 80 person chorus, and trumpets are more easily audible.

Than a trombone? I think you're doing it wrong...

llamamushroom
2008-11-24, 01:34 AM
Than a trombone? I think you're doing it wrong...

I think he means more easily audible than a choir, which is true - a trumpet has a very piercing sound.

Anyway, I think that the cleaning idea sounds good, as well as switching to grease - I've got a couple of friends who used to oil, switched, and have been hooked ever since. Also, it'll make you just a little bit more like a saxophone player - those cork neckpieces can get pretty frict-astic.

13_CBS
2008-11-24, 09:23 PM
From a friend of mine:

Hmm... That's a sticky one (no pun intended). My best advice is to oil them with some blue juice beforehand when the valves are still warm, and work the oil in for a few minutes. Then when he's in the cold, keep the valves moving, and make sure he's not pushing them to one side.... If the valve sticking is a permanent thing, not just when it's cold, is there one in particular that's bad? If so there could be a jam somewhere, like from a slide pushed in slightly during a temperature change. My standpartner had that happen to him, and his second valve is being a serious pain in the butt.

It's not much, but hope that helps!

Aramil Liadon
2008-11-24, 09:51 PM
Hmm. Over-lubeing is definately not an isuue, although under-lubing might be.
I'll go try out some of these ideas, see how it works out. And thaks especially for the tip on playing softly; I'll try not to drown out eveyone else.