PDA

View Full Version : Best Virtual Tabletop

WinterSolstice
2008-11-23, 07:13 PM
I've had my eye on MapTool as an application to bring together my dispersed gaming group, but I would like everyone's opinion as to which Vtabletop app. is the best. Free apps. only please.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-23, 07:44 PM
I'm fond of OpenRPG (www.openrpg.com), but they've been having some issues with the automatic updates of late.

DrizztFan24
2008-11-24, 09:58 AM
MapTool rules. I use it with my undispered group. I even have it set up to read my TOS+ files so MapTool can keep track of my character on the map. Less flipping back and forth. You can also program macros into the button on MapTool, like attack rolls, saves, damage, spells, percentage, all that goodness. It really is quite nice. and continual updates.

ColdSepp
2008-11-24, 10:18 AM
MapTool rules. I use it with my undispered group. I even have it set up to read my TOS+ files so MapTool can keep track of my character on the map. Less flipping back and forth. You can also program macros into the button on MapTool, like attack rolls, saves, damage, spells, percentage, all that goodness. It really is quite nice. and continual updates.

I second this. I found it much easier then OpenRPG. Their are many, many features, but those not willing to use them don't have to. THey can get by fine with the basic use.

Artanis
2008-11-24, 12:48 PM
If you're going to use MapTool, use the most recent dev version, 1.3.b47. Previous versions have given my group connection problems. Also, make sure everybody is using the same version. On top of that, make sure to use the "remove all drawings" every now and then since the AoE tool, even when erased, starts to cause lag after a while.

Just to have it mentioned, there's also Gametable. It's pretty much the exact opposite of MapTool in that it's incredibly simple, which is both good and bad. You almost certainly won't be using it, but I figured it should at least be mentioned.

Also, no matter what you use, Tektek (http://www.tektek.org/index.php) is a VERY good place to get minis.

ColdSepp
2008-11-24, 12:51 PM
If you're going to use MapTool, use the most recent dev version, 1.3.b47. Previous versions have given my group connection problems. Also, make sure everybody is using the same version. On top of that, make sure to use the "remove all drawings" every now and then since the AoE tool, even when erased, starts to cause lag after a while.

Just to have it mentioned, there's also Gametable. It's pretty much the exact opposite of MapTool in that it's incredibly simple, which is both good and bad. You almost certainly won't be using it, but I figured it should at least be mentioned.

Also, no matter what you use, Tektek (http://www.tektek.org/index.php) is a VERY good place to get minis.

If you download the zip dev file, there will be three batch launchers, one bacic, one 512, and one 1 Gb. This is the amount of memory that you are allocating to MapTool. Be sure all the players use the same size, because it will always default to the smallest.

That is, even if the DM and all the players but one are using 1GB, if one person is using a smaller file, that is the size you have.

Taffimai
2008-11-24, 01:10 PM
I came across gametable (http://gametable.galactanet.com) a few years ago and I've been very happy with it. As to how it compares to the other options out there, I have no idea. Perhaps I'll find out by keeping an eye on this thread :smallsmile:

WinterSolstice
2008-11-25, 05:10 AM
I'm curious as to how character statistics translate into MapTool, most notably movement and Initiative.
Can players freely move about (making speed and positioning dependent on player trust) or is there a mechanic that prevents this?
Is the transition from exploration to combat relatively smooth, and is initiative order managed by the program?

Gaiwecoor
2008-11-25, 12:51 PM
Can players freely move about (making speed and positioning dependent on player trust) or is there a mechanic that prevents this?

Yes, the players can freely move about, but you can see what path they're taking and how much movement it costs them to get there. In essence, it lets you watch them as they move about the board, just like you were sitting at a table.

Is the transition from exploration to combat relatively smooth, and is initiative order managed by the program?

Again, it operates pretty much like the table. They can roll their initiative, then you are in charge of running things.

Of course, this is assuming there have been no major improvements since I last played with it. There very well could have been.

Gao
2008-11-25, 01:39 PM
I like maptools myself.

Artanis
2008-11-25, 01:55 PM
I'm curious as to how character statistics translate into MapTool, most notably movement and Initiative.
In addition to what Gaiwecoor said:

The default is that statistics are handled by the player. You can put your statistics into the character token thingy, but it doesn't do much more than just display them. There's macros that can make use of the stats, but they're pretty complicated.

However, and somebody has made a token that will do pretty much anything using the info you put in, including keep track of power usage and your inventory. It's a bitch and a half to set up, and I don't think it's worth the trouble myself, but if you really really don't want to manually type in [1d20+8] or whatever when you attack...

The transition from exploration to combat is as smooth as it can get. The DM is already handling the map-revealing, and he just says to roll initiative. There's also a tool that helps keep track of init: it won't do it automatically without macros (AFAIK), but the DM can put the players in it and it'll show who's up, who's coming up, where everybody is, etc.

Gaiwecoor
2008-11-25, 02:20 PM
Well, if we're branching out into the rest of the RPTools family, you're right. InitiativeTool (http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=inittool:intro) does a decent job of handling initiative, rounds and effect counters.

Huh ... CharacterTools (http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=chartool:intro) looks like it could be interesting. That wasn't there last time I checked the site. If it works like it says it does, it could make things bundle together nicely (CharTool, MapTool, InitTool).

Nazde Bahatur
2008-11-25, 02:24 PM
Check out Fantasy Grounds II, as well.
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/
It's the one my group is using, and we're content as it's real good stuff!