PDA

View Full Version : Magic Missile

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-23, 07:48 PM
Well I saw the other thread and it got me thinking about making a magical missile.

Step 1: Get a missile shaped body (32 feet tall is enough to qualify as gargantuan).
Step 2: Use Invisibility on the body.
Step 3: Make it permanent (which you can do since it's an object).
Step 4: Use Animate Object on the body (need CL 16 to animate a gargantuan body).
Step 5: Make Animate Object permanent.
Step 5: Give the now animated missile Wing's of Flying (as a creature it can now use them).
Step 6: Use Explosive Runes to fill a several thousand page book with Explosive Runes.
Step 7: Give the animated missile a wand of Dispel Magic at CL 5.
Step 8: Have the animated missile carry the explosive runes warhead to the target and then hit it with a dispel magic check, choosing to autofail it.

There you go, blowing up everything in a 10 foot area in 8 easy steps.

Now the reason you want a gargantuan missile is that it can carry over 500 pounds as a light load. This means that it can carry a stone with a disintegrate trap on it. This trap should be an instantaneous reset trap. The missile holds the trap in front of it and disintegrates whatever gets within 10 feet ahead of it. You now have a bunker buster missile.

The only problem is the warhead size. I'm toying around with way's of increasing it.

Fan
2008-11-23, 07:52 PM
Seems a little light on damage though.
Prehaps you should fill it with Anti Ossimum?

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-23, 07:54 PM
yay for broken readings of RAW!

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-23, 07:54 PM
Seems a little light on damage though.
Prehaps you should fill it with Anti Ossimum?

Yeah, but I'm trying to stick as much to the rules as possible. Technically nothing in the first post breaks any of the rules.

And it does deal several thousand d6 worth of damage to everything within 10 feet. It just doesn't hit the stuff 11 feet away.

Collin152
2008-11-23, 07:58 PM
And it does deal several thousand d6 worth of damage to everything within 10 feet. It just doesn't hit the stuff 11 feet away.

Until it gets there, anyways.

Needs more Quintessence coated Delayed Blast Fireballs.

Fan
2008-11-23, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but I'm trying to stick as much to the rules as possible. Technically nothing in the first post breaks any of the rules.

Prechance widen spell that?
Then shape it to be a sphere it is larger after all.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-23, 08:04 PM

Thought about the fireballs. Figuring out how to get them all to go off at the same time. I'm thinking a box filled with them that is then coated in quintessence and right before impact the missiles wipes off the cover of the box and they all spill out and go boom.

If D&D used realistic kinetic energy then I would put a ring gate on the front and combine it with my KEW weapons system. But that would only deal 20d6 to a single creature or object. Although I could run a hundred of those through at a time...

Collin152
2008-11-23, 08:06 PM
Maybe some Storm of Vengeance fallout...

AmberVael
2008-11-23, 08:07 PM
Surely there is a way to combine this with a Locate City Bomb? :smallbiggrin:

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-23, 08:08 PM
Surely there is a way to combine this with a Locate City Bomb? :smallbiggrin:

I would have to give the animated object class levels. Which is technically possible but not really in the spirit of the thing.

Flickerdart
2008-11-23, 08:24 PM
Craft an Undead in the shape of a rocket. Give it that thing of Fly and cast that spell on it which makes it explode when it dies...it gets killed from the fall damage it takes when it strikes the ground, and boom!

You could make these any size. I can just envision a Necromancer and an army of little undeads that go Macross Missile Massacre of everything. Anyone remember the Worms games and the Homing Pigeon? It's like that.

AmberVael
2008-11-23, 08:24 PM
...hmmm.
Imbue with Spell Ability could be a starting place, perhaps?
The problem is that Born of Three Thunders won't work...

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-23, 08:36 PM

And all the rogues just laugh.

AmberVael
2008-11-23, 08:41 PM
And all the rogues just laugh.
Damn you rooooogueeees!
*shakes a fist*

That brings up an interesting question. Is there any area based damage effect that one could add that wouldn't be based on reflex saves?

NEO|Phyte
2008-11-23, 08:45 PM
Damn you rooooogueeees!
*shakes a fist*

That brings up an interesting question. Is there any area based damage effect that one could add that wouldn't be based on reflex saves?

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head are Cold-based psionic powers.

Collin152
2008-11-23, 09:36 PM
Damn you rooooogueeees!
*shakes a fist*

Acid Fog?
Ummm...
Part of Storm of Vengeance?
Umm...

RPGuru1331
2008-11-23, 10:08 PM

I thought wands required UMD or the wand's spell on your spell list?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-23, 10:21 PM
I thought wands required UMD or the wand's spell on your spell list?

Rudimentary Intelligence from Dragon 327. Your animated object gets skill points and can thus cross class UMD. I knew I forgot to include something in my post.

RPGuru1331
2008-11-23, 10:24 PM
Neat. What is that though? A spell? Feat? Rule?

Zeful
2008-11-24, 02:18 PM
Damn you rooooogueeees!
*shakes a fist*

Power Word Kill, Wail of the banshee?

Draz74
2008-11-24, 02:40 PM

Dragonfire Adept Thunder Breath?

... hmmm, there's gotta be some simple instantaneous AoE damage spell with a Fortitude save somewhere.

Eldariel
2008-11-24, 02:44 PM
Mass Avasculate? Horrid Wilting? A crapton of Necromancy is AoE Will- or Fort. They're not the only ones either. There's a lot AoE for all saves in Magic.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-24, 02:48 PM
Mass Avasculate? Horrid Wilting? A crapton of Necromancy is AoE Will- or Fort. They're not the only ones either. There's a lot AoE for all saves in Magic.

Yeah, but most don't affect objects.

I'm really tempted to just combine this with my KEW system so that it deals twenty thousand d6 damage to a single creature or object.

Hmm, what's the grounds hardness and hitpoints?

AmberVael
2008-11-24, 03:20 PM
Why not just toss it all in? It's pretty crazy as it is, so why not make it explode a single target, blow up with explosive runes, and then add in some larger explosion that hits everyone in a big radius (include a non-reflex save to hit rogues).

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-24, 03:24 PM
*shrug*
Doesn't feel right.

hamishspence
2008-11-24, 03:24 PM
Not all animated objects have magic item slots, just as not all creatures have all magic item slots. Wings of flying need a neck to put them on. Though I suppose missile could have a narrowing below the warhead.

Bayar
2008-11-24, 03:42 PM
I love this quote:

If your construct is magic immune (ie, infinite SR), put Explosive runes (as many as possible) everywhere on your construct. Get someone to read it as needed or simply let the enemy read it.

Vinotaur
2008-11-24, 04:15 PM
Not all animated objects have magic item slots, just as not all creatures have all magic item slots. Wings of flying need a neck to put them on. Though I suppose missile could have a narrowing below the warhead.

All creatures have all item slots.

Zeful
2008-11-24, 04:16 PM
All creatures have all item slots.

Beholders don't have arm slots.

hamishspence
2008-11-24, 04:28 PM
Nor can an Awakened Snake wear boots. Even DMG and MM state this sort of thing, very clearly.

Jasdoif
2008-11-24, 05:55 PM
Hmm, what's the grounds hardness and hitpoints?Assuming a thirty-mile-high point on Earth's crust, made completely of stone, we're talking hardness 8 and 2,376,000hp.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-24, 09:46 PM
Assuming a thirty-mile-high point on Earth's crust, made completely of stone, we're talking hardness 8 and 2,376,000hp.

Hmm, not a problem at all then.

Yukitsu
2008-11-25, 01:20 PM
"Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them)"

I wonder what happens if a high spot character with a binocular reads it? Or a wizard using a scry ball?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-11-26, 09:06 PM
Very good. Very good indeed.

Now you just need to mount that missile on the spaceship you designed a while back for explosive fun.

Zeful
2008-11-26, 09:18 PM
Very good. Very good indeed.

Now you just need to mount that several hundred of these missiles on the spaceship you designed a while back for explosive fun.

Fixed it for you.

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-26, 09:30 PM
Y'know, when I was looking over the threads and I saw this one, for a second there I really thought this'd be about the first-level spell... and then I saw that this was by Tippy. :smallbiggrin:

If nothing else, a very interesting idea, Tippy.

Collin152
2008-11-26, 09:55 PM
"Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them)"

I wonder what happens if a high spot character with a binocular reads it? Or a wizard using a scry ball?

Blinded by explosion, hit themself in the face with their looking things and take the proscribed damage. Plus half of it again to their ego.

monty
2008-11-26, 10:12 PM
Y'know, when I was looking over the threads and I saw this one, for a second there I really thought this'd be about the first-level spell... and then I saw that this was by Tippy. :smallbiggrin:

If nothing else, a very interesting idea, Tippy.

Actually, I was expecting some Cindy-esque build that can kill anything with a single Magic Missile. This is cool too, though.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-26, 10:27 PM
Actually, I was expecting some Cindy-esque build that can kill anything with a single Magic Missile. This is cool too, though.

Now that's impossible.

UserClone
2008-11-26, 10:30 PM
Wouldn't the wand be the one making the caster level check, as the object has no caster level? Also, where in the rules does it say you can auto-fail a CL check?

monty
2008-11-26, 10:37 PM
Now that's impossible.

Even for Cindy?

Collin152
2008-11-26, 10:54 PM
Wouldn't the wand be the one making the caster level check, as the object has no caster level? Also, where in the rules does it say you can auto-fail a CL check?

Let me answer your question with a question: Where does it say you can't?

UserClone
2008-11-26, 10:55 PM
If it specifically mentions that you can choose to fail a saving throw (and only saving throws are EVER mentioned in the RAW), is not the (strong) implication then given that you cannot choose to fail anything else?

Zeful
2008-11-26, 11:44 PM
Let me answer your question with a question: Where does it say you can't?

Given that it's a book of what's allowed, rather than what's not allowed (as a book describing what's not allowed in a rules system would have to be of a size approaching infinity and of a cost of the same size) it's easier to assume that if the rules don't cover it, you can't do it.

How ever it's a good thing to note that you can lower your caster level to the minimum required to cast the spell.

ashmanonar
2008-12-02, 12:47 PM
I love this quote:

Or have the world's funniest joke written on its sides, in the language they speak?

Oslecamo
2008-12-02, 01:04 PM
What hapened to the old good and simple trick of simply reducing a lot of lead balls, then use gate(transportation mode) to drop them over your enemy?

No cost at all, and just as letal. Rogues themselves will eventually roll 1 on their reflex save wince we're talking about hundreds of lead balls here.

Emperor Tippy
2008-12-02, 01:09 PM
What hapened to the old good and simple trick of simply reducing a lot of lead balls, then use gate(transportation mode) to drop them over your enemy?

No cost at all, and just as letal. Rogues themselves will eventually roll 1 on their reflex save wince we're talking about hundreds of lead balls here.

Oh, I use that as well. This is just something different.

Oslecamo
2008-12-02, 01:18 PM
Ah, ok, one gets eventually bored of crushing their enemies always in the same way.:smalltongue:

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-02, 01:25 PM
Aye, you can only annihilate a small city with a host of shadesteel golems or locate city bombs or anti-osmium planetcrackers a couple thousand times before it starts getting old.

Ryavis
2008-12-02, 04:07 PM
Would a more money-efficient delivery system be a colossal-sized crossbow? Use divination to find a person inside their bunker and shoot a hollowed-out brilliant energy colossal-sized crossbow bolt full of explosives. The bolt hits the target, it is destroyed because it is enchanted, and suddenly all the contents are on the floor. You wouldn't need to buy wings of flying, or pay for perminancied spells- no reason to make the bolt invisible, it will reach the target in 6 seconds anyway. Finding someone who can shoot a target from miles away with a colossal-sized crossbow might be a problem though...
Alternately, it'd be funny to fill a crossbow bolt like that with high-level characters. It'd be one epic way to get into an enemy fortress.

Of course, I don't actually have a DnD rulebook, so that plan is probably full of holes. I like the mental image though.

Tam_OConnor
2008-12-02, 04:42 PM
Ice Storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/iceStorm.htm), Energy Substitution to taste? No Reflex save area-effect damage.

mangosta71
2008-12-02, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I kinda expected the same.

It's an opposed roll. Pretty sure the rules say you can choose to fail any opposed roll.

Would a more money-efficient delivery system be a colossal-sized crossbow? Use divination to find a person inside their bunker and shoot a hollowed-out brilliant energy colossal-sized crossbow bolt full of explosives. The bolt hits the target, it is destroyed because it is enchanted, and suddenly all the contents are on the floor. You wouldn't need to buy wings of flying, or pay for perminancied spells- no reason to make the bolt invisible, it will reach the target in 6 seconds anyway. Finding someone who can shoot a target from miles away with a colossal-sized crossbow might be a problem though...
Alternately, it'd be funny to fill a crossbow bolt like that with high-level characters. It'd be one epic way to get into an enemy fortress.

Of course, I don't actually have a DnD rulebook, so that plan is probably full of holes. I like the mental image though.

You mean a ballista? :smalltongue: Lot easier to find a crew to operate it than find a cooperative creature large enough and with an anatomy that would allow it to wield such a weapon.

kopout
2008-12-02, 07:43 PM
A tippy widget that spews uranium 238 attached to the head of a ballista bolt. When it hits , it beguines generating uranium and contuse to do so until it reaches critical mass and creates a fission reaction. Congratulations, it's a nuke!

monty
2008-12-02, 08:13 PM
A tippy widget that spews uranium 238 attached to the head of a ballista bolt. When it hits , it beguines generating uranium and contuse to do so until it reaches critical mass and creates a fission reaction. Congratulations, it's a nuke!

Uranium 235

Emperor Tippy
2008-12-02, 08:27 PM
Nah.

What you do is get 2 Ring Gate sets, make sure that 99 pounds of their daily 100 pound transport limit has been transported, and set them so that their openings face each other. You can Force Cage (the closed version) around the set up.

Then you take two 1 pound plutonium spheres and use the KEW system to accelerate them up to near light speed. Before sending both through the linked ring gates at the same time. You get a nuclear reaction contained within an impenetrable box. Which means that the nuclear reaction will continue until it has reached nearly 100% efficiency (meaning no real fall out). And then you wait for the force cage to expire. All the sudden that area is gone.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-03, 01:06 AM
You mean a ballista? :smalltongue: Lot easier to find a crew to operate it than find a cooperative creature large enough and with an anatomy that would allow it to wield such a weapon.Launch Bolt(SpC). I <3 Cantrips.

ZeroNumerous
2008-12-03, 01:13 AM
You mean a ballista? :smalltongue: Lot easier to find a crew to operate it than find a cooperative creature large enough and with an anatomy that would allow it to wield such a weapon.

Mount it on the back of a massive Animated T-Rex Statue that happens to look alot like this: Metal Gear REX (http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4882/1186192913896ul3.jpg)

kopout
2008-12-03, 05:04 PM
Mount it on the back of a massive Animated T-Rex Statue that happens to look alot like this: Metal Gear REX (http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4882/1186192913896ul3.jpg)

oh. the applications for animate object are endless, animate tanks and Statues with fire ball traps built into there fists come to mind .

Another_Poet
2009-10-23, 10:46 AM
The only problem with the proposed magic missile is losing the golem and the wings. That costs money!

Instead, build the missile structure but load it with auto-reset traps of spells that deal some other energy type of damage rather than Force. Simple fireballs are fine, or get more creative. I would put a few Symbols of Death in there too. All of the traps should be built onto a beam or column that is placed inside the missile but not physically attached to it.

Next, give the missile gloves of ghost touch. Instruct it to reach its animated arm inside its body (through a conveniently placed hole) and hold onto the column of traps.

Then give the missile a magic item that makes it incorporeal.

Boom, the missile is no longer damaged by its own traps and can fly about causing devastation wherever it likes you order. Give it the ability to go invisible for ease of delivery. Remember the traps can sill be destroyed, so abjure appropriately.

The only question is what the trigger type should be on the traps. I suggest mechanical trigger (auto reset of course) so the missile can simply push a button (with its glove of ghost touch) to activate them all at-will.

Periodically I would "retire" a missile to the Nine Hells just so I don't have to worry about them becoming sentient and turning against me. I know the rules don't allow it, but being paranoid is the first step to being a great dictator.

Zovc
2009-10-23, 10:50 AM
At what step does this become an evil act?

Douglas
2009-10-23, 12:25 PM
Dragonfire Adept Thunder Breath?

... hmmm, there's gotta be some simple instantaneous AoE damage spell with a Fortitude save somewhere.
Instead of a fort save, how about no save? Also, no SR and untyped damage. Hail of Stone. Needs lots of metamagic and (Greater) Arcane Fusion abuse to boost its 5d4 damage to meaningful levels, but it can be done. If you go epic, Enhance Spell makes it a lot easier.

Indon
2009-10-23, 12:28 PM
Why not just drop onto your target from a couple hundred feet up? The animated object takes at most 20d6 damage, and deals 1d6 damage per 10 feet dropped per 200 feet of weight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#fallingObjects).

Only downside is, you only deal it to characters, not to objects, making it, ironically, less natural-seeming in effect than the original design.

Edit: Okay, two downsides, as the landing damage is also limited to 20d6 per application... at least, if it drops over 10 feet. You might be able to stretch the RAW out to provide unlimited potential damage if it drops from only 10 feet up.