PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale (3.5)

Djibriel
2008-11-23, 07:49 PM
'Kay, so I can't sleep, and I read Battle Royale the other day. I started wondering what classes best represented the main characters of the manga, and how much fun playing Kiriyama (the main antagonist) would be.

For Kiriyama, I think Factotum fits him best (what with him being so intelligent and all, and being able to mimic other people). But is there something to represent his absence of remorse and empathy in 3.5? As a balanced Trait, I figured something that would make him immune to fear and charm effects but negate any kind of morale bonus. Would you call that a Feat, Trait or Flaw?

In addition (for those interested): Shuya Nanahara (Bard), Kawada (Ranger), Sugimara (Monk), Mitsuko Souma (Rogue), Mimura (Sorcerer, I guess). Rest of the lot just Commoner or Warrior with some quirks in some cases. What do you think?

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-23, 08:11 PM
Responding at random ...

Sugimara (Monk)

Given his wierd chi stuff, Swordsage would fit this better. Thats clearly a Strike of some sort. also he doesn't suck and is therefore not a monk

Mitsuko Souma (Rogue)

Disagree. Aristocrat or expert with high charisma. IIRC, she isn't tha badass - she's just willing to kill people.

Mimura (Sorcerer, I guess)

based on all the spells he casts? remember he fights as well.
I might say a rogue with good stats myself. Or an aristocrat or expert with a few levels under his belt.

Kawada (Ranger)

Possibly. maybe a multiclass ranger/fighter/bad ass

Shuya Nanahara (Bard)

I'll buy this. Mainly /cause he inspires everyone.

For Kiriyama, I think Factotum fits him best (what with him being so intelligent and all, and being able to mimic other people). But is there something to represent his absence of remorse and empathy in 3.5? As a balanced Trait, I figured something that would make him immune to fear and charm effects but negate any kind of morale bonus. Would you call that a Feat, Trait or Flaw?

Probably factotum, yes. And as for his sociopathic tendancys, I think your on the right track. Like maybe a modified version of mindless, where he can still think.

Rest of the lot just Commoner or Warrior with some quirks in some cases. What do you think?

don't think any of them are commoners, what with the modern setting. Experts/aristos/warriors IMO.

Of course, I wouldn't use DnD for this - If I had to use d20 i'd use modern, and if not ... maybe all flesh must be eaten.

OK, now I'm totally doing that.

Djibriel
2008-11-23, 08:24 PM
I'm not familiar with any other kind of Pen and Paper RPG, so I'm working with what I have, I guess.

Hardcore Souma as a Rogue is just because of Sneak Attack; she is, after all, very good at killing somebody very quickly once they're off-guard. High Charisma is a must obviously.

Mimura as a Sorcerer... there isn't any magic in Battle Royale, but Mimura is closest to it IMO. He does gather supplies for his big bang (material components), is Charismatic and has a useless side-kick that is more of a danger than an asset (familiar). Eh... Rogue works if you ban magic classes, as Mimura can do stuff. Also:

Crazy High Con. Fighting with your guts hanging out like that? How many bullets does he take anyway?

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-23, 08:37 PM
Hardcore Souma as a Rogue is just because of Sneak Attack; she is, after all, very good at killing somebody very quickly once they're off-guard. High Charisma is a must obviously.

I get your point - Just remember that she mostly fights noncombatants. With the high lethality weapons, the clearly low hitpoints of most of her victims, and the fact that none of them are playing the game, I think a lv 1 ncp lass is sufficient. First time she engages in a straight out fight with a skilled combatant, she's straight up murdered. Literally. Rogue gives her perhaps overly generous combat skills.

Mimura as a Sorcerer... there isn't any magic in Battle Royale, but Mimura is closest to it IMO. He does gather supplies for his big bang (material components), is Charismatic and has a useless side-kick that is more of a danger than an asset (familiar)

OK, I see what you mean. In that case, I'd say wizard/rogue. He's got the intellegent skills going on.

Crazy High Con. Fighting with your guts hanging out like that? How many bullets does he take anyway?

The joys of shortlived plot armour. I can't remember, but it's a good few.

SurlySeraph
2008-11-23, 10:22 PM
I would recommend using d20 Modern (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd) to stat out the characters, what with Battle Royale being a modern setting and all.

Also, you may be interested in this game (http://z10.invisionfree.com/SOTF_V2/index.php?act=idx).