PDA

View Full Version : The Summer Organization Contest!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-07, 09:52 PM
It's summer here in the Northern Hemisphere, and it's been a really hot one (at least in North America). So, both in honor and because of the brain-cell killing temperatures, and also of our recent board reorganization, I present the Summer Organization Contest.

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until midnight, September 1st (Eastern US Time, which makes it 4am GMT Sept 1st). Please remember, as always, to follow the contest guidelines (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11247707 71).

The Rules

1) Your organization cannot be an adventuring party. It should also have enough power or influence that it represents either something a PC would be interested in joining, or a reasonable adversary or ally for a party. (Note that this means you can make an organization that wouldn't be open to the majority of normal PCs).

2) Your organization must have some sort of relationship to heat or the summer. It can be in the name, the background, they could be connected to fire or a being of fire in some manner, they could oppose fire beings, anything. Get creative! (Note: Avoid references to the Silver Flame, or copying material created for that faith for the Eberron Campaign Setting. I'm very familiar with Eberron, and I will catch it, so don't try.)

3) Your entry must include the following
The name of your organization (preferably in big, bold letters at the top)
Flavor text - whatever you feel is appropriate. Please italicize.
General description
Purpose - a one or two sentence mission statement, describes goals and methods. The goal need not be some world-spanning scheme, just a reason the organization got together in the first place.
Alignment - the alignment of the organization as a whole, followed by acceptable member alignments in parantheses (if only those with the same alignment as the organization are admitted, just list organization alignment; if any alignment is allowed to join, put "All" in parantheses).
GP Resource limit/economics - how much the organization has available to it in regards to gear, hiring professionals, and so forth. Also, any speciail economic benefits for being a member (cheaper access to spells, for example).
Membership Requirements - how to become a member, what is required to remain a member, and any particularly noteworthy requirements to advance. Please include even if the organization would not normally be open to PCs. Birthright (eg. "must be a noble" or "inherited position") is a reasonable requirement.
Authority Figures (Name, Class(es), Levels) - the people who are ostensibly in charge. Please include a brief description.
Other Important Figures (Name, Class(es), Levels) - include a brief description
Racial Makeup - generally, break it down in percentages. For an organization that accepts only one or two races, put "<race(s)> only" (eg. "Elves and Half-elves only"). For those that bar one or two races, put "<race(s)> barred" (eg. "Gnomes and halflings barred"). If it's simply very unusual for a race to join - such as a goblin joining a knightly order - and not actively banned, don't list it as such.
Class make-up of other followers - Percentages, generally. For organizations that are exclusive to particular classes, follow the same pattern as with races.
Origins/history/lore - how the organization came to be, important events of their past. Preferably, include Knowledge check DCs for players to find out more specific information.
Adventure hook - please include at least one adventure hook for a party
The crunchy bit - each entry should include one piece of new "crunchy" content; please select from the list below. You may make more than one of these, but only one may be used for judging.
A feat (or a tree of up to three)
A spell or psionic power (or a set of up to three)
A magic, psionic, or mundane item (any gp value; may include artifacts owned, protected, sought, etc. by the organization)
An organization exclusive prestige class (3, 5, or 10 levels), if you're feeling particularly ambitious
OPTIONAL: You may also include Affiliation stats for your organization, as described in the PHB2. You may include these stats and another one of the "crunch" items since the PHB2 is not available for everyone.

4) Start the subject line of your entry with [Org], followed by the particular crunchy category your using - {Feat}, {Spell}, {Power}, {Item}, or {PrC} - followed by the organization name. If you're including Affiliation stats, put a "/A" after the other crunchy category.

5)When your entry is complete (and not before!) please post it to the entry thread (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11550021 23), and note which "crunchy" category your entering.

[hr]
Judging Categories
Best Overall
Best Articulation of the Theme
Funniest Organization
Best PC Organization (must be open to PCs joining up easily)
Best Ally Organization
Best Adversary Organization
Best Adventure Hooks
Best <Crunch> Feat (or Feats)
Spell (or Spells)
Power (or Powers)
Item
Prestige Class
Affiliation Stats Gorby's Seal of Approval (Staff Award)
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them to this thread.

This will hopefully give a nice mix of fluff and crunch for all you designers out there. Good luck!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-07, 09:59 PM
Two notes:

1) What do you guys think about one more "crunch" category? It would be including the organization stats for the affiliation rules out of the PHB2 (and thus would only be available for those with access to the book).

2) I will be at GenCon from the 9th to the 14th this month. I may be able to check the site from time to time, but don't count on me being around. Roland St. Jude will help out where and when he can with the contest, but some questions may have to wait until I get back from Indianapolis.

Blue_C.
2006-08-07, 10:07 PM
I think adding an Affiliation section is a good idea, because why go half way and then stop?

But because not everyone has access to the PHII, I think making affiliation rules an optional portion, as a side contest, would be best. Though I'm sure anyone that wants to will be able to figure out the rules pretty quickly based on the entries of those who have the book.

Vaynor
2006-08-08, 01:22 AM
Awesome, humor here I come... ;D

One question, does the organization have to have a purpose/mission? ::)

Hydro
2006-08-08, 02:06 AM
Every organization has a purpose, even if that purpose is simply to serve itself or its leaders. Or to pursue some insane whim which for some reason is shared by every single member. ;)

The purpose could just be for fun. Think of the Jim Smith Society.

Oh, and great contest by the way, thanks as always.

Skyserpent
2006-08-08, 03:52 AM
YES!!!! Alright, let's get it started!
Questions:

How large would this organization need to be?

Would a Monastary count?

Could we make a Mundane Item rather than a Magical or Psionic one?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-08, 09:39 AM
A monastery would likely be fine. Doesn't have to be a world-spanning organization - a thieves' guild usually only influences one city or one part of a city, for example. Just so long as it has enough resources that it could pose a challenge for a party for a few levels, even if they're low levels.

I think I will add in the optional Affiliation challenge. As for mundane items... I suppose I should allow those. No reason not to.

Oh, and Hydro's dead on. The purpose doesn't have to be some grand scheme, but even the most random organization I can think of had a goal (sort-of). "Maintain our position of power" (Illuminati like group) or "prepare our souls for the afterlife" (like a monastery) would both be perfectly fine goals. So would "make ourselves filthy rich." Just needs to be some reason the group organizes.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-08, 01:06 PM
Man, I looked this over and my mind went blank...

*tries to kick his braincells into gear*

Elvaris
2006-08-08, 01:22 PM
Just to be sure, we can submit multiple entries, right? I'd like to at least try a serious entry one of these contests...

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-08, 02:48 PM
Woah. Its a pretty big coincidence, but just as I finish Brightly Burning, a contest with a fire theme comes up. Coincidence, I think not!

Everyman
2006-08-08, 04:05 PM
A prestige class?! I'm allowed to make a prestige class?!

SCORE! ;D

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-08, 04:05 PM
Just to be sure, we can submit multiple entries, right? I'd like to at least try a serious entry one of these contests...
You can, as per usual contest guidelines.

RobbieOC
2006-08-09, 12:51 PM
My assumption is this would be ok, but what if my crunch entry is a monster used exclusively by the organization, or at least automatically associated with it? I figured it wouldn't be too much of a stretch, but I also figured it's just polite to ask first. If not, I've got several other ideas that should suffice.

Hydro
2006-08-09, 05:30 PM
A monster wouldn't give you a shot at winning any of the existing crunch catagories. And if Gorbash made a new catagory just for monsters you'd probably be the only one in it.

A monster affiliated with the organization is a really cool idea, though.

RobbieOC
2006-08-09, 10:12 PM
A monster wouldn't give you a shot at winning any of the existing crunch catagories. And if Gorbash made a new catagory just for monsters you'd probably be the only one in it.

A monster affiliated with the organization is a really cool idea, though.

True enough. I'll just submit something else, then.

Sucros
2006-08-10, 06:28 PM
oooh. I like this topic. Now I've got something to keep my mind occupied while I'm at work

The Demented One
2006-08-11, 05:08 PM
How long is this sucker going to run for?

Roland St. Jude
2006-08-11, 05:49 PM
...The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until midnight, September 1st (Eastern US Time, which makes it 4am GMT Sept 1st). Please remember, as always, to follow the contest guidelines (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11247707 71)...

Mr. Moon
2006-08-13, 06:24 PM
So, would a class count as an organization?

Roland St. Jude
2006-08-13, 07:04 PM
So, would a class count as an organization?

At first blush, I don't think so. An organization might have a class exclusive to its members and/or a class it requires of its members, but the class itself is not the same as the organization. See the first post of this thread for the things an organization should include.

That said, what do you have in mind? I could see an organization that exists exclusively to indoctrinate folks into a particular class. You'd just have to write it up in a way that contains all the information in the first post.

Mr. Moon
2006-08-13, 07:55 PM
Basicly it's an Academy created so that members with a certain abilaty(the class) can gather to train, I suppose. The Academy was created after the class, but I suppose I could do it vice-virsa.

Roland St. Jude
2006-08-13, 08:31 PM
Basicly it's an Academy created so that members with a certain abilaty(the class) can gather to train, I suppose. The Academy was created after the class, but I suppose I could do it vice-virsa.

That sounds like it would work; in fact, it probably makes for a good story. You just need to detail the Academy, not just the class.

Mr. Moon
2006-08-13, 09:24 PM
Okay, I can do that. Thanks! ;D

Roland St. Jude
2006-08-13, 10:12 PM
Okay, I can do that. Thanks! ;D

You're welcome! I look forward to reading your entry!

Mr. Moon
2006-08-13, 11:20 PM
Urm... one last question. What's an "adventure hook"?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-14, 12:44 AM
Something that a DM can use to brainstorm into an adventure. For instance: "A mighty white dragon has stolen the powerful Solomirathius two-bladed sword, a relic important to the Order of Eternal Summer."

Roland St. Jude
2006-08-14, 08:59 AM

It's a description of how the PCs might get drawn into contact with the organization (e.g. the PCs are targeted as rivals or have been hired by the King to join and become double agents or need to rescue on of their siblings who has become "brainwashed" by the organization.) If you have seen or have access to a Dungeon magazine, each adventure in Dungeon gives a couple of these to help DMs see how PCs could get involved.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-14, 02:01 PM
What Roland and Fax Celestis said, and could also include missions the organization might send the PCs on if they were members or interested in becoming members.

Mr. Moon
2006-08-14, 08:23 PM
Soo... let me see if I have this right. It's basicly an campaign idea a DM could use?

Roland St. Jude
2006-08-14, 09:53 PM
Yes (although perhaps much simpler than that), it's just some way that the PCs might get involved with the organization. It could be for whole campaign or just for a single adventure.

Mr. Moon
2006-08-15, 02:24 AM
Ah... Once again, thanks! :D

Adjudicator
2006-08-20, 01:32 PM
One question:

When you said no adventuring parties, what about a business that sets up adventuring parties. For example, in one of my campaigns, the PCs work for a company that put them together in their party, but it also puts other groups together in different parties, basically securing contracts, quests, and missions from sources and then selecting and assigning adventurers to those jobs.

It's almost like a temp agency, though adventurers can stay on for the long haul, if they choose. Since I want to make it into an affiliation for my PCs anyway, I figured I'd tie it into the contest.

Would that be an acceptable entry?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-20, 04:04 PM
One would think so, but wait for Gorby's response.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-20, 06:02 PM
One question:

When you said no adventuring parties, what about a business that sets up adventuring parties. For example, in one of my campaigns, the PCs work for a company that put them together in their party, but it also puts other groups together in different parties, basically securing contracts, quests, and missions from sources and then selecting and assigning adventurers to those jobs.

It's almost like a temp agency, though adventurers can stay on for the long haul, if they choose. Since I want to make it into an affiliation for my PCs anyway, I figured I'd tie it into the contest.

Would that be an acceptable entry?
That sounds perfectly acceptable.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-24, 10:24 AM
Heyas, was thinking, how about adding a judging category for best adventure?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-24, 10:43 PM
Heyas, was thinking, how about adding a judging category for best adventure?
Bloody... did I go and leave that off? Bugger all.

Anyways, yes, indeed, one certainly should be added.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-28, 03:25 AM
Can we ask for advice on our entries? I've just finished my Golem Cube (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11558923 33) item entry, but I'm having trouble nailing the CR of its summoned creature and, consequently, how expensive I should tweak it.

I remember that last contest, everyone took a few days to critique each other's work and tweak it before the final judging.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-28, 02:25 PM
You can certainly ask for advice, and I always like it when contestants take the time to help each other make their entries better.

I think the best way to get that started is to offer some suggestions and praise in other entries, which will encourage those contestants to check yours out.

The Glyphstone
2006-08-28, 02:32 PM
What's the final deadline on this?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-28, 02:55 PM
The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until midnight, September 1st (Eastern US Time, which makes it 4am GMT Sept 1st).

Vaynor
2006-08-28, 06:04 PM
I just finished my item (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11550149 25) part of my entry, and I think I may have gone a little overboard on the powers it has. Would someone mind telling me what they think? Remember it has to be created by a god, with at least three specific salient divine abilities. ;)

The Glyphstone
2006-08-28, 07:09 PM
AWK! Missed that, gotta get GOING! :D

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-01, 12:05 AM
And that's it! Entry deadline has come and gone, and all Org threads are now locked. The Vote thread will be up tomorrow morning, when I'm actually awake.