PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Inn Names

Alcopop
2008-11-23, 08:45 PM
Ok guys, funniest, weirdest and most random inn names from you or a game you've played!

Heres mine (both from my GM)

The Prancing Soldier
A gay bar that had the best drinks in town. One character would always persuade another to go in there and pretend to be gay so that they could get the drinks. Hilarity Ensued.

The Leaky Wench
The dodgiest port town inn ever... ever!

Whadoyagot?

Flickerdart
2008-11-23, 09:06 PM
In a D20 Modern game, we had a "The Loading Bar".

Zeful
2008-11-23, 09:11 PM
In a D20 Modern game, we had a "The Loading Bar".
That sounds like it should be in Shadowrun.

adanedhel9
2008-11-23, 09:15 PM
A couple campaigns ago, my players seemed to get a kick out of "The Rusty Sickle", which I still don't find particularly funny.

Zeta Kai
2008-11-23, 09:17 PM
Actual inn/tavern names that have seen use in my games:

The Boiled Cat
The Wounded Whale
The Dead Duck
The Broken Egg
The Smilin’ Lion
The Drunken Whore
The Puking Peasant
The Bent Finger
The Boiled Weasel
The Burning Itch
The One-Eyed Willy
The Come-On Inn
The Cat ‘n’ Bucket
The Orc’s Bladder

My favorite name? The Bull’s Milk. Just think about it. :smallwink:

Deth Muncher
2008-11-23, 09:21 PM
In my Oriental Adventures campaign, I've got the seedier of the two inns in town called "The Enraged Panda."

Now think of Tekken 3.
:smalltongue:

Brauron
2008-11-23, 09:24 PM
My roommate uses, when he DMs, a McDonald's-like chain of taverns called the Drunketeria.

Akisa
2008-11-23, 09:27 PM
In my Oriental Adventures campaign, I've got the seedier of the two inns in town called "The Enraged Panda."

Now think of Tekken 3.
:smalltongue:

I think of PVPonline when I hear enraged panda...

BizzaroStormy
2008-11-23, 09:28 PM
"The Flaming Gnome"

just...*facepalm*

Collin152
2008-11-23, 09:44 PM
The Prancing Soldier
A gay bar that had the best drinks in town. One character would always persuade another to go in there and pretend to be gay so that they could get the drinks. Hilarity Ensued.

I'll try very hard not to be offended.
Very hard.

Two and a half words, people: Wok-on Inn.

Lycan 01
2008-11-23, 09:54 PM
I think for our next session my players will be starting in "The Generic Inn" or "The Cliche Tavern."

Xefas
2008-11-23, 10:00 PM
The current game I'm playing in has three taverns; each for a different division of the city.

The tavern in the upper-class sector is named "The Thirsty Fish", and the tavern in the slums is named "The Dizzy Priest".

I find both of those amusing, though the one in the middle-class area is pretty "meh".

Lerky
2008-11-23, 10:02 PM
The Dancing Fox Inn:smallamused:

ahzreal
2008-11-23, 10:08 PM
From a campaign I was in with my gnoll barbarian character: The Gnoll's Head, featuring an actual gnoll's remains. The tavern only stood for a few more rounds. ^_^

SurlySeraph
2008-11-23, 10:14 PM
The Twitching Modron, in Sigil.

Roderick_BR
2008-11-23, 10:14 PM
The Scream.

You understand when you go in, and see the barwomen :smalltongue:

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-11-23, 10:16 PM
Actual inn/tavern names that have seen use in my games:

The Boiled Cat
The Wounded Whale
The Dead Duck
The Broken Egg
The Smilin’ Lion
The Drunken Whore
The Puking Peasant
The Bent Finger
The Boiled Weasel
The Burning Itch
The One-Eyed Willy
The Come-On Inn
The Cat ‘n’ Bucket
The Orc’s Bladder

My favorite name? The Bull’s Milk. Just think about it. :smallwink:
Which is why, Zeta, you win at Everything DM

Here are some of mine.

The Bloated Baby Inn
The Mexak Inn
The Crunchy Water Inn
The Fried Feces Inn

Pie Guy
2008-11-23, 10:19 PM
The Grappling Pixie:smallamused:

Ixahinon
2008-11-23, 10:27 PM
The Grappling Pixie:smallamused:

Wonder where you got that one. :smallyuk:

The Glyphstone
2008-11-23, 10:33 PM
I had an "inn" of sorts in my campaign called Thog Sells Beer. It wasn't an inn so much as a tavern, as it didn't have anywhere to stay, but it did have the best beer in the city, and was run by an Orc named Thog (obviously). The recipe was a secret, and my players became obsessed with sneaking in and finding out how the beer was made - for a while, they got it into their heads that it involved orc urine somehow:smallconfused:. Thog had VERY good security despite being Int 6, however, so they never did find out, and I never had to decide.

MisterSaturnine
2008-11-23, 11:02 PM
Mouth's Inn
The Mant Inn (if it only had a heart)
The Venials Inn
The Mysterious Hooded Traveler Inn (guess their clientele)
The Violent Cassowary
The Salad Inn (in a ToB-less campaign. The owner doesn't like Crusaders)
The Indignant Elephant

Please don't hit me for all the bad puns.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-23, 11:23 PM
"The Broken Drum."

...what?

Kroy
2008-11-23, 11:24 PM
The Half-Eaten Cat,
I'm serious!

Deth Muncher
2008-11-23, 11:43 PM
"The Broken Drum."
The Mended Drum.
...what?

Fixed that for you.

Szilard
2008-11-23, 11:47 PM
I sometimes put taverns in the middle of a dungeon. They were all called "On the Way Inn."

AngelSword
2008-11-24, 12:06 AM
After much joking in my campaign, the party came across a tavern known as "Angst." It was nothing but corners, and each corner was filled with a shady figure, leering at everyone else in the tavern.

In similar fashion, the party promptly set fire to it, armed themselves, and set to work at killing anyone who survived the blaze.

Fhaolan
2008-11-24, 12:18 AM
Once, the party was looking for a tavern. Not looking for adventure hooks, or anything like that. They just wanted to eat.

They spotted a Inn, and glanced at the sign swinging outside. It was a sheep, apparently a male one given the spiralling horns, eating from what everyone swore looked like a bowl of spagetti.

Ram & Noodle

I'll start running now...

Dervag
2008-11-24, 12:36 AM
"The Broken Drum."

...what?It can't be beat!

I'm going to go with "The Burning Ice Cube."

The name stirs up business, because anyone who tries to figure out how to make ice cubes burn will get so confused that they need a drink.

Zeta Kai
2008-11-24, 12:47 AM
It can't be beat!

That's a hilarious response to the name. I'm gonna use that. :smallcool:

Celeres
2008-11-24, 12:50 AM
prancing badger.

it became funnier when i finally got a badger out of my bag of tricks to represent it.

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 01:18 AM
That's a hilarious response to the name. I'm gonna use that. :smallcool:

Its actually the cannon slogan. The Mended Drum's is: You can get beaten.

I started a session in there once. all but two of the party were performing as a band, and a fight started in response to failed checks... everyone but the ranger (who went to find a Seamstress) got arrested by Detrius and Carrot. The Drum got broken again when Detrius' Peacemaker went off... Shortest lived party ever.

Quietus
2008-11-24, 01:21 AM
Two that come from one of my buddy's worlds :

The Bendy Purple Pot : Known for a drink of the same name, which acts as a nasty hallucinogen and is EXTREMELY addictive.
The Smoking Kobold Boots : I can't remember exactly what the schtick here was, but it amused me.

Virgo
2008-11-24, 01:31 AM
In our last session the party was doing some RP'ing and needed a tavern, so our DM quickly whipped up The Expedient Convenience. :smalltongue:

Waspinator
2008-11-24, 01:36 AM
Its actually the cannon slogan. The Mended Drum's is: You can get beaten.

I started a session in there once. all but two of the party were performing as a band, and a fight started in response to failed checks... everyone but the ranger (who went to find a Seamstress) got arrested by Detrius and Carrot. The Drum got broken again when Detrius' Peacemaker went off... Shortest lived party ever.

Discworld references FTW.

For anyone not in the know, there's a series of fantasy novels, Discworld, that features the Broken Drum inn and that joke.

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 01:40 AM
Discworld references FTW.

For anyone not in the know, there's a series of fantasy novels, Discworld, that features the Broken Drum inn and that joke.

Yup. It was funnier since the only other Discworld fan was the already raging dwarf barbarian...

Alcopop
2008-11-24, 02:50 AM
I'll try very hard not to be offended.
Very hard.

Oh come off it, what’s offensive about that?

Anyhow,
Heres one i plan on using if the players ever stay to far off the story in my up coming pirate campaign.

The Plotting Hook
:P

Keep em coming!

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-24, 03:30 AM
I got "The Running Bard" from a random generator for a game a long time ago, and it carried over into other games with the group. At least once in every campaign, there'd be an inn with that name.

Handsome Rob
2008-11-24, 03:55 AM
The Nymph's Knickers and The Half Pint (run by a gnome)

SoD
2008-11-24, 03:58 AM
My first ever session...we ended up eating at the Groin and Spoon.

Muad'dib
2008-11-24, 04:45 AM
A DM of mine put on in a campaign called "The Flaming Sheep." We had demanded the name of the bar and forced him to make it up on the fly. We would keep coming back to TFS after every excursion out of the capital and eventually had our own wing added to the bar. The bartender started trying to sell it off whenever we would be out of town for over a week. The house special was a beer set on fire named the Flaming Sheep of course.

Shpadoinkle
2008-11-24, 05:11 AM
A DM of mine put on in a campaign called "The Flaming Sheep." We had demanded the name of the bar and forced him to make it up on the fly. We would keep coming back to TFS after every excursion out of the capital and eventually had our own wing added to the bar.

I am baffled as to why you would do that, yet thinking "That is awesome" at the same time. So I'm going to have to ask why exactly your group had thier own wing added, and what they did there?

Muad'dib
2008-11-24, 05:25 AM
I am baffled as to why you would do that, yet thinking "That is awesome" at the same time. So I'm going to have to ask why exactly your group had thier own wing added, and what they did there?

We had extra money laying around and decided we wanted a "home base." We basically just used it as a free place to sleep and keep our stuff (a little dangerous with the innkeeper trying to rent it out). One of the times he rented it out, he told us if we wanted it back we'd have to evict the tenant. It was a gnome alchemist, pathetically low level. We were all good-aligned though, so we tried to reason with the crazy little bugger. He ignored us and this irritated our NPC wizard of questionable ethical background. To speed things up he balefully poly morphed the gnome into a housecat whom we sent to live with an exile for safe-keeping (we woulda tried to change him back, but we had no PC spellcasters.)

Edit: I recall now, our party face had a forge set up as well so he could make scimitars in our living quarters... fun times...

Gardakan
2008-11-24, 07:22 AM
In my currently adventure i'm in a tavern called : If you can read that, you might suppose to have eyes...

serok42
2008-11-24, 07:35 AM
The Inn our party always hung out in in Waterdeep was "The Bloody Fist" we liked the name so much that once we became the lords of a city we had "The Bloody Fist 2" opened.

My dwarven Archivist also opened a tavern called "The Anvil and Hammered"

OverdrivePrime
2008-11-24, 07:45 AM
Every setting I've run games in for the last 15 years has had an interdimensional tavern and inn chain called "The Drunken Monkey" with a very tipsy monkey holding three mugs (one with his tail) on the sign.

The Drunken Monkey is so beloved, it has spread to the game worlds of my friends as well.

There's a hookah bar that tries to compete with it called the Dizzy Duck, but they're nowhere close to the same quality and pricing. Plus, no one beats the Monkey's 'Shaven Ape Stout', beloved by Dwarves the worlds over.

Suleman
2008-11-24, 07:53 AM
Inspired by some traditional pubs naming themselves after a pair of animals... for example, Wolf And Stag, Sparrow And Badger and so on, I named one pub The Zebra And Walrus.

Telonius
2008-11-24, 09:10 AM
The Drunken Boar.

ShaneLeahy
2008-11-24, 10:12 AM
In an old Cyberpunk game, the players hung out at Old Bob's Sushi and Bait shop.

Desyth
2008-11-24, 11:07 AM
I read this one somewhere around these forums, so I can't claim credit, but I think it ranks right up there as one of the best.

The sign had a Ram sitting in a bowl with chopsticks in it, with what looked like long stringy hair on his head. The name you might ask? The "Ram-in-Noodle".

BardicDuelist
2008-11-24, 11:15 AM
The standard one that my old DM (with whom I played for years) used was "The Dead Troll Tavern." Once a year, they'd all get trashed and go troll hunting. It was my first campaign hook, actually.

I always liked "The Rail Station" in Eberron or Victorian campaigns.

One of my inns had a motto "Where bards begin their careers, always dreaming of returning to tell their stories."

Dacia Brabant
2008-11-24, 11:58 AM
In my old D&D group it was "The Beer Golem" run by an eccentric wizard who did, indeed, have a golem for its bartender. Naturally I had a good laugh a few years later when I played the NWN:HotU expansion that featured a tavern with a massive, intelligent golem as its proprietor.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-24, 12:10 PM
The Skanky Vampire

Random inn generator for the win!

tokonaut
2008-11-24, 02:24 PM
first inn was in a nice little town the bar's name was 'The Fuzzy Quarter staff.''

DiscipleofBob
2008-11-24, 02:39 PM
Let's see, for a pirate game, I had...

The Crow's Nest: A halfling ship that due to some unfortunate events got beached... on the top of an island mountain. Fast-forward years later and they've turned it into an inn for sailors. They have several paths built to the shore of course as well as a ski-lift for people to get up to the inn.

The Cheshire Cat: Pretty simple. Very well-decorated bar run by a pimp where his "ladies" were the staff.

Cactus Jack's: Never got to this one, but a much poorer, simpler bar out in the desert.

Thiel
2008-11-24, 03:22 PM
I've used "The Stoned Whore" and "The Burning Fox"
The latter obviously had this (http://abcdefu.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/firefox.jpg) picture on its sign.

Chunklets
2008-11-24, 04:14 PM
One of the conventions that has crept to our games, no matter what the system or setting, is that the name of an inn or tavern must be inversely proportional to the actual classiness of said inn or tavern. Therefore, an inn called "The Rotting Leper" should probably have crystal chandeliers. And vice versa.

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 04:19 PM
One of the conventions that has crept to our games, no matter what the system or setting, is that the name of an inn or tavern must be inversely proportional to the actual classiness of said inn or tavern. Therefore, an inn called "The Rotting Leper" should probably have crystal chandeliers. And vice versa.

so an inn named The Crystal Chandilers should have rotting lepers? are they the patrons, the staff or both?

AKA_Bait
2008-11-24, 04:20 PM
In a game I ran a while ago the PC's were holed up in an inn called 'The Idiot's Apprentice'. This was the townie bar in a section of the city dominated by a Wizard's College. Woe betide the student who wandered into that place...

CompositeSanta
2008-11-24, 04:25 PM
The Comatose Mongoose.

Chunklets
2008-11-24, 04:26 PM
so an inn named The Crystal Chandilers should have rotting lepers? are they the patrons, the staff or both?

Both, definitely! :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 04:31 PM
Both, definitely! :smallbiggrin:

:pukingsmiley:
What about aninn named Swanky McSwankertons Swanky Inn for Swanky Swanks?

AKA_Bait
2008-11-24, 04:32 PM
:pukingsmiley:
What about aninn named Swanky McSwankertons Swanky Inn for Swanky Swanks?

Totally a dive bar. The moment someone new walks in the regulars should start taking bets on how long before they get stabbed.

Chunklets
2008-11-24, 04:35 PM
Totally a dive bar. The moment someone new walks in the regulars should start taking bets on how long before they get stabbed.

Definitely. At that inn they don't even bother putting the beer in kegs; they simply back the horse up to the bar and force it to drink lots of water. :smalltongue:

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 04:36 PM

So the Mended Drum?

AKA_Bait
2008-11-24, 04:39 PM
So the Mended Drum?

As I recall, cops were relativley safe at the Mended Drum...

Blackfang108
2008-11-24, 04:47 PM
"The Broken Drum."

...what?

Were two of the guards regular customers?

Or was there an inept wizard guiding a vaguely Asian tourist?

AngryRussian16
2008-11-24, 04:47 PM
Recently the party encountered "The Wandering Inn" in a 4e game

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 04:49 PM
As I recall, cops were relativley safe at the Mended Drum...

Only because of Detrius and his Peacemaker (A siege ballista he converted to fire a whole sheath of arrows at once and that he finger cocked), Carrots charisma (his cha modifier is 18), and Vimes' bloody mindedness (and what he'd do if you made him late to read 'Is That My Cow' to his son)... And because of how Angua acted at certain times of the month. (I'll let you speculate on that one)

AKA_Bait
2008-11-24, 04:52 PM
Only because of Detrius and his Peacemaker (A siege ballista he converted to fire a whole sheath of arrows at once and that he finger cocked), Carrots charisma (his cha modifier is 18), and Vimes' bloody mindedness (and what he'd do if you made him late to read 'Is That My Cow' to his son)... And because of how Angua acted at certain times of the month. (I'll let you speculate on that one)

I'm pretty sure that Nobby, Cheery, Colon and others (like Rincewind) have been able to drink there in peace as well.

Chunklets
2008-11-24, 04:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that Nobby, Cheery, Colon and others (like Rincewind) have been able to drink there in peace as well.

I seem to recall as well that nobody wanted to get crosswise of The Librarian in there, either. Wasn't there one occasion where somebody called him the m-word?

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 04:59 PM
I seem to recall as well that nobody wanted to get crosswise of The Librarian in there, either. Wasn't there one occasion where somebody called him the m-word?

And all the guards could go there cause if you messed with one, you messed with all of them. Rincewind was simply too unimportant to bother with, plus the Librarian liked him. A kid could go there for lemonade without fear, but thats just cause they had standards.

Deme
2008-11-24, 05:02 PM
I think my favorite inn name I've ever used was "the Frothing Pig."

It is very possible that it had a real frothing pig that no one ever saw: everything ended up at the Frothing Pig sooner or later, whether they wanted to or not. One of the characters lived there, though the rest had stable homes in town.

That same town had a wizard's guild...that basically consisted of one rather angry wizard, fighting to maintain the newly-established right to do magic by the book (wizards being persecuted in this world, with public opinion finally shifting, largely due to this guy's efforts when he was an adventurer)...he ran it out of his attic. It was a magic attic, mind you, but it was still this guy's attic.

Drider
2008-11-24, 05:05 PM
I had an "inn" of sorts in my campaign called Thog Sells Beer. It wasn't an inn so much as a tavern, as it didn't have anywhere to stay, but it did have the best beer in the city, and was run by an Orc named Thog (obviously). The recipe was a secret, and my players became obsessed with sneaking in and finding out how the beer was made - for a while, they got it into their heads that it involved orc urine somehow:smallconfused:. Thog had VERY good security despite being Int 6, however, so they never did find out, and I never had to decide.

You should have made the secret ingrediant "love+sunshine".

daggaz
2008-11-24, 05:07 PM
Surprised nobody has said it yet.. mine's always been "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe."

This should really be stickied as the last post... =)

Abbott
2008-11-24, 05:15 PM
I have a tradition to try to include the Mermaid and the Lamb, a frenchise brothel, in as many of my games as possible. I even have my characters seek it out sometimes, even when I'm not gamesmastering.

FMArthur
2008-11-24, 05:15 PM
"The Jolly Giant", whose logo was an image from one of my books featuring an enraged ogre attacking screaming villagers in a burning town.

evisiron
2008-11-24, 06:05 PM
I fondly remember "The Raging Kobold", mainly since the barman was a Kobold with levels in Barbarian.
He killed our elf when the inevitable brawl broke out.

Good times... :smallbiggrin:

RandomNPC
2008-11-24, 06:14 PM
Stager Inn
Drift Inn
Stumble Inn
Don't Go Inn

the first three are from the mideval fair i go to yearly, the last one is the one i want to open someday.

Doomsy
2008-11-24, 06:21 PM
If I remember right, Carrot was safe in a certain bar because in the very first book in the series he took down everyone in it.

Including the troll bouncer.

News like Constable Carrot travels fast.

As for inn names -

Hell With This - a tavern actually run by retired adventurers who said exactly that.

Hell And Back - The tavern across the street. Run by the party that kept going.

Oddly enough, the service and food was basically the same, but Hell And Back had a tendency to keep bursting into flames or having odd accidents.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-11-24, 06:30 PM
Actually, I remember having Ragar's Inn, and there would be an Ale Elemental that served drinks. Ragar's was a chain of Inns, all having a Ale Elemental. Some of the characters stole the Ale Elemental's core, which in my game was the link to the Elemental Realm that all have, and get drunk.

Draco Dracul
2008-11-24, 06:33 PM
If I remember right, Carrot was safe in a certain bar because in the very first book in the series he took down everyone in it.

Including the troll bouncer.

News like Constable Carrot travels fast.

Nit pick, Guards! Guards! is the 7th book in the series (though the first with Carrot) and Carrot was a Lance-Costable at the time.

Kris Strife
2008-11-24, 06:40 PM
Nit pick, Guards! Guards! is the 7th book in the series (though the first with Carrot) and Carrot was a Lance-Costable at the time.

He's now the captain of the city guards, dating Angua, and is a 6' cleanshaven dwarf.

The Faceless
2008-11-24, 07:22 PM
I may just have to steal this idea at some point. It sounds lots of fun.

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-24, 08:01 PM
In an old Cyberpunk game, the players hung out at Old Bob's Sushi and Bait shop.

Y'know, you've given me an idea for my D&D game...

Me: "You have reached the small town of Greencliff. The streets are-"

P1: "Whatever, we just make our way to the tavern and-"

Me: "That's the thing: you guys can't find a tavern."

P2: "Whaaaat?!?"

P1: "We start asking townsfolk where the tavern is."

Me: "Okay, you see a man dressed in-"

P1: "'Where can we find a tavern around here?!?'"

Me: "'Sorry, fellas, but there's no tavern here. Local adventurers have taken to hanging around the bait shop.'"

(The PCs head down to the bait shop.)

P1: "'Man, this sucks.'"

Me: "A half-orc dressed in furs acknowledges your lamentation. 'You're telling me...'"

The Glyphstone
2008-11-24, 09:57 PM
I may just have to steal this idea at some point. It sounds lots of fun.

If you do, tell me how it goes.

Collin152
2008-11-24, 10:27 PM
Oh come off it, what’s offensive about that?

Acting gay? Because we're so differant from the rest of humanity that you can't buy a drink without putting on a broadway musical!

Ravens_cry
2008-11-24, 10:40 PM
Acting gay? Because we're so differant from the rest of humanity that you can't buy a drink without putting on a broadway musical!
On the other hand. some homosexual people do seem to strive to fulfill the stereotypes. I am basing this on personal experiences, and from the people interviewed on the street on the show of Pink Planet
(http://www.pinkplanet.tv/register.php) (a travel guide show for homosexuals). I am in no way saying all do, or for that matter, even the majority, but being fabulously fruity isn't just baseless bigotry, it really is something some gay men, for whatever reason, do actually do. What is baseless bigotry, it should go without saying, is that all homosexual men act this way.

Jayabalard
2008-11-24, 10:46 PM
Including the troll bouncer. The drum didn't have a troll bouncer, it had a troll splatter (like a bouncer but harder).

But I agree in general, the drum was not a safe place for coppers before Carrot cleaned the place up.

Nit pick, Guards! Guards! is the 7th book in the series (though the first with Carrot) and Carrot was a Lance-Costable at the time.I've seen plenty of people refer to them separate series, especially the: Rincewind, Watch, and Witches books.

And if you're going to nitpick about what book it is, you might want to check your numbers... it's the 8th book (The color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, Mort, Sourcery, Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids, Guards Guards!)

UserClone
2008-11-24, 10:49 PM
Acting gay? Because we're so differant [sic] from the rest of humanity that you can't buy a drink without putting on a broadway musical!He could simply have meant "acting gay" in the sense that the characters were flirting with other men in the bar, feigning interest in them to get free drinks off of the more drunk ones. Why would "acting gay" have to mean more than that? It's kind of ludicrous a thing at which to take offense.

Prak
2008-11-24, 11:01 PM

Collin, please come off of it... you're making the alternative sexualities look worse than the stereotype does...

also, what FlWiPig said...

anyway, in a book I started writing I had "The Dessicated Mermaid".

Roland St. Jude
2008-11-24, 11:01 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay people, please take it to PMs and drag the thread back on topic or I'll have to shut this tavern down.

Prak
2008-11-24, 11:08 PM
"damn, law sure do act fast round these parts..."

seriously, I'm surprised at the speed of moderation there, but I'm glad it came. Collin, if you want to respond to my post, I welcome private messages, no matter how... inflamatory.

Townopolis
2008-11-24, 11:35 PM
"Out & Inn"

They specialize in steak, any way you like it.

AngelSword
2008-11-24, 11:48 PM
My group seems to love this one tavern known as The Shining Gauntlet, which is a hangout for the local guard. There's nothing too special about it, and that's kinda sad.

They've never liked my taverns based on musical references (Silverhammer's, The Rising Tide Tavern, and the Vampire Club, to name a few). :smallsigh:

Tempest Fennac
2008-11-25, 02:40 AM
I was thinking of including an Inn/All-You-Can-Eat Bistro in a solo game I'm running called The Braden Walker after Chris Harris' WWE ring name (he was only on TV for a couple of weeks due to being fired, but I think The Braden Walker is a good name for an inn).

Pelfaid
2008-11-25, 04:34 AM
I had a thought earlier tonight
"The Pickled Brain" run of course by a mind flayer and with a brain in a vat on the sign

Thurbane
2008-11-25, 05:53 AM
I've always been partial to the Vulgar Unicorn.

Leon
2008-11-25, 06:04 AM
in My IK game
The party have visited the Chartreuse Weasel, the Black River tavern and are now Staying at the Pig & Whistle Inn (they get basic meals and rooms free - anything else they have to pay for it)

Yucca
2008-11-25, 10:14 AM
My players are partial to the "Ruffled Bodice". The madame, a halfling rogue, is a retired thief and most of the seedier element hangs out at the bar. Needless to say, the party is quite fond of it.

Angel in Black
2008-11-25, 10:18 AM
My personal favorite: The Adjective Noun.

Veneficus
2008-11-25, 10:57 AM
"Out & Inn"

Thats similar to the Inn & Out our party once encountered. It was a hard mans pub with western saloon type doors. More often than not you would be thrown out for whatever reason....our party gnome got kicked out a record 9 times in one campaign :smallsmile:

In real life however, I drink at the fantasically named pub, The Polar Bear.

Genome
2008-11-25, 11:52 AM
This thread inspired me to come up with two new tavern ideas.

The Running Joke - Whatever comedic history your group has, it will probably come back to haunt them in the worst way possible in this bawdy locale.

Slash Fick's Inn - Nothing more than a front for an interdimensional prostitution ring, Mr. Fick has a suitably colorful staff:
-Four "waitresses", each named Chan, and each with a hat of disguise. What's underneath, you do not want to know.
-P. Chimaera, the half-Orc bartender with a weak and bizarre grasp of Common, fancies himself to be a novelist and will share his work with anyone willing to read. His ignorance about the operation allows the other employees to conduct proper business out of sight.
-Baum, a sleazeball of a halfling. He is the head recruiter for the true business conducted; beware when he offers you a "second life." He also has a number of cronies who will gladly retrieve the possessions of those who turn down a business proposal.

Considering that the tavern comes complete with portal connections to dozens of planes, one can find the strangest of patrons there. It's up to you how far you'd like to go with this.
-A hoary, barbate man, his speech slurred by alcohol, playing drinking games with a dark-skinned adolescent. He is currently holding up a ring of wrought-iron skeleton keys, challenging the reluctant boy to punch them. His demands escalate in volume, shouting "Punch the keys, for god's sake!" until a nearby adventurer cracks a whip in his direction.

I'd better stop now before I get carried away create a campaign based around this awful tavern. My players will hate me.

UserClone
2008-11-26, 10:11 PM
I am quite fond of "The **** & Plucker" from Conker's Bad Fur Day, which is just a ridiculously silly time in general.:smallbiggrin:

Lord Zentei
2008-11-26, 10:15 PM
The **** and Bull.

With an image of a rooster and a bovine above the entrance. Just don't pay the bartender for any rumors he may claim to have. :smallwink:

EDIT: And the word filter kicks in again. <sigh>

There are actual bars (http://www.cockandbull.co.nz/) named this, believe it or not.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-26, 10:54 PM
The Lead Robster, named for the thief who got turned to stone trying to break in, then plated with lead. (They did have to put in a new door, because that entrance was pretty well blocked.)

banjo1985
2008-11-27, 09:24 AM
'The Winking Gorgon' was one of my more popular one's, a bit of a dive where my party usually went to fraternise with the cities Thieves Guild.

UserClone
2008-11-27, 10:34 AM
Lead Robster is both amusing and very creative! It would have been a real groaner of a pun if not for the amusing backstory. Well played, sir!

Amiria
2008-11-27, 02:15 PM
Inns and Taverns from Felmigrakain (an old hombrew city (AD&D/ last millenium old):

Inns
Eagle's Eyrie
Craven's Folly
The House of Heroes
The Crow's Nest
The White Steed
The Merry Warrior
The Floating Bull
The Silver Bow
The Three Hearths
The Seven Bronze Dragons
Harbour Hostel
Northgate Hostel
Cloak and Dagger
Wanderer's Rest
The Timid Wolfshound
The Ship of Glass
The Harp's Play
The King's Arch
The Sleeping Dragon
The Blissful Sailor
The Mirrorshield
The Idle Charger
The Petrified Beholder
The Jagged Banner
The Blue Blade
The Steaming Bluff
The Backed Plaice
The Green Flame
The Harbour's Stair
The Dreaming Lady
The Wind Rose
The Twoheaded Snake

Taverns
30 Silver Coins
Brain
The Hellfire
The Burning Zombie
The Beer Bar
The Bloody Nose
The Iron Boots
The Magic Harp
Golden Anchor
Karl's Pub
Wyvern's Tombstone
Black Stag
The Frothing Tankard
The Swingdoor
The Pure Blade
The Broken Lute

Note: all translated from German on the fly. Many of the "The" where not "der/die/das" in German, but rather "zum/zur" (at the/to the).

ScionofImperius
2008-11-27, 02:27 PM
In the current game, we founded an organization based in taverns. The first tavern we had was the Laughing dragon, which was apparently so popular every town now has a giggling wyvern or a smirking pseudodragon or a chuckling kobold.

TheThan
2008-11-27, 02:44 PM
The bashful mermaid

The Glyphstone
2008-11-27, 03:35 PM
Lead Robster is both amusing and very creative! It would have been a real groaner of a pun if not for the amusing backstory. Well played, sir!

But is it owned and run by a LE were-giant lobster?

Hooded1
2008-11-27, 04:36 PM
In the game I play in there use to be am inn know as The Silken Spider.
It had a mascot that was a spider that looked like an eightlegged Mr. Peanut, and it had its own dance.

Trizap
2008-11-28, 02:29 AM
some suggestions:
The Conveniently Placed Inn
The Show Yourself Inn
The Always Filled Inn
The Randomly Located Inn.
The Innside Out.
The Ta'veren Tavern

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-28, 03:24 AM
'Ye olde inn and out: You see this is sexual innuendo as this is also a brothel and oh, nevermind...'
All the NPC's seem to feel the need to say the entire sign. Maybe you had to be there.

Voidhawk
2008-11-28, 11:02 AM
In a game set in a our DM's heavily changed underdark, we hung out for ages in a bar called "The Randy Dragon". I'll leave you to imagine the sign...

Did a very good egg-on-steak if I remember.

SadisticFishing
2008-11-28, 12:43 PM
Best I've heard was from a player, I decided to let him name a bar. He decided to name a bar for barbarians:

A picture of a chicken leg, a mug, and a serving wench.

Ivius
2008-11-28, 07:15 PM
The Drunken Drunk.

Alcopop
2008-11-28, 07:20 PM
In the current game, we founded an organization based in taverns. The first tavern we had was the Laughing dragon, which was apparently so popular every town now has a giggling wyvern or a smirking pseudodragon or a chuckling kobold.

Thats brilliant that is!

Brauron
2008-11-28, 07:27 PM
To ensure repeat customers...

The Drink Oft Inn.

Arkris
2008-11-28, 07:34 PM
This is for true, or dm was all sorts of crazy:

The Hall of Insta-Gib
The steamed cabbage
and "Teh Leetz Pub" with the subtitle No Noobz al0ud.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2008-11-28, 08:18 PM
The Steel Nipple.

Our DM hasn't asked us for help naming inns since we picked that one. The campaign lapsed for a few weeks, and everyone seemed to have forgotten it, but (luckily?) I wrote it down. :smallamused:

Blue

EndlessWrath
2008-11-29, 02:09 PM
I can't remember all the names...but my personal favorite had to be

The Pawnching Falcon. The bartender was some crazy guy who wore a racing suit and had a red helmet with a yellow falcon on it.

:smallamused: go figure

Mercenary Pen
2008-11-29, 04:25 PM
The Beholder's Arms.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-29, 04:31 PM
I never got to use it, so I never gave it a name, but there was one idea for an inn that I always liked - supposed to be a sort of interplanar crossroads (maybe in Sigil), it was going to have as the centerpiece/live entertainment an illithid bard. Playing a trumpet/saxophone/other instrument, or possibly two, with hands and tentacles. While telepathically "singing" to the audience. What would he be singing? "BRAINS", of course.