PDA

View Full Version : [Build Challenge] Impchucks!

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-23, 10:27 PM
The challenge is simple - any way you can, using D&D 3.5 RAW, make a character that uses a pair of imps tied together to make improvised nunchucks.

I could also use a few questions answered, namely -

- Would you "sunder" the impchucks, or would you attack them as small creatures in a larger creature's space?
- Do the impchucks get sting attacks?
- What do they count as for the purposes of DR?

Ready? Have at it!

Vexxation
2008-11-23, 10:39 PM
Well, clearly the way to go is Monk/Drunken Master.

Unarmed damage for improvised weapon, and (I think) no penalty for improvising with them.

High ranks in Use Rope. Once Imps have been acquired, tie them to each other by the feet or tails or whatever. Instant Impchucks.

Now, as for function. I'd say that they count the same a nunchuku, as a light Monk weapon, enabling Flurry.

They'd probably count for overcoming DR/Evil. Now, seeing asweapons don't take damage when you swing them, they probably wouldn't either, unless Sundered. Sundering would require a standard attack/damage roll against the imps. However, seeing as one imp is in the owner's hand at all times, only one imp could be sundered at a time. After the first imp is sundered, you have an Imp-flail.

Depending on rulings, I suppose that if the Imps won initiative, they could ready an action to Sting the enemy on contact/proximity.

This would be a very fun character.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-23, 10:43 PM
But what if the Imps had Monk levels of their own, and were wielding nunchaku as well?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-11-23, 10:45 PM
Well, Imps are size Tiny and weigh 8 pounds, according to the MMI. According to Complete Warrior, an Improvised Weapon of 8-10 pounds deals 1d6 damage. A sting on every attack would be rather powerful, so I'll remove that, but not entirely. Also, Imps can turn invisible. Therefore...

Impchucks
Exotic Weapon (Double Weapon)

1d6/x2 plus poison--1d6/x2 plus poison

Poison (Ex): A creature struck by a critical hit with a pair of Impchucks must make a Fortitude save (DC 13) or take 1d4 points of Dexterity damage. 1 minute later he or she must make an additional Fortitude save (DC 13) or take 2d4 points of Dexterity damage.

Invisibility (Su): As a standard action you may make your Impchucks invisible. Your target is flat-footed against your next attack with the Impchucks, provided the attack is made in the following round.

Aligned (Ex): Impchucks are treated as Evil aligned and Lawful aligned for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction.

Resistances (Ex): Impchucks can only be sundered by Good or Silver weapons.

Cost: ???

Also, sorry for not getting in touch. Busier weekend then expected (Play practice/performance took longer than expected)...however, the next three days have no classes for me, so I'll be able to talk then.

Vexxation
2008-11-23, 10:46 PM
But what if the Imps had Monk levels of their own, and were wielding nunchaku as well?

Well, then they'd be able to Ready an action to Flurry, of course!
That would be so COOL!

A drunken old dude stumbles, reaches into his robe, and pulls out an imp, tied to another one. They then each pull out a set of small nunchaku, and the whole thing becomes a whirling dervish or silly death.

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-23, 10:46 PM
And yet, no one's posted the build that can wrangle imps yet :p

@Djinn - Yay! Check your PMs :D

Flickerdart
2008-11-23, 10:50 PM
The human is then grabbed by a Hill Giant along with another such human. How many attacks per round do we have now?

SurlySeraph
2008-11-23, 10:51 PM

NO! No recursive nunchaku! Do you know where it leads to? DO YOU?! IT LEADS TO THIS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Koretsu/DireHecaton.jpg

This fierce weapon can only be wielded by a Hecatoncheires. It requires two hands to wield, and thus, a Hecatoncheiries can wield 50 of them at a time. At each end of the chain is another Hecatoncheires. All Hecatoncheires have all thier normal powers and abilities, including Summon Hecatoncheires. Each summoned Hecatoncheires also wields this weapon.

Darrin
2008-11-23, 10:53 PM
Well, clearly the way to go is Monk/Drunken Master.

Unarmed damage for improvised weapon, and (I think) no penalty for improvising with them.

I'm not so sure. I can't find anything in the Drunken Master description that explicitly says they become proficient with improvised weapons. Extra damage, sure, but nothing about reducing the -4 penalty.

Vexxation
2008-11-23, 10:54 PM
I'm not so sure. I can't find anything in the Drunken Master description that explicitly says they become proficient with improvised weapons. Extra damage, sure, but nothing about reducing the -4 penalty.

Been a long time since I saw it.
I'm pretty sure there's a class feature that makes any improvised weapon count as a regular one.
Even if there's not, come ON! It's worth the -4 just for comic value.

Darrin
2008-11-24, 10:43 AM
Been a long time since I saw it.
I'm pretty sure there's a class feature that makes any improvised weapon count as a regular one.
Even if there's not, come ON! It's worth the -4 just for comic value.

Well, there is, but in 3.5 it's very difficult to find something to get rid of that penalty. The Hulking Hurler has an ability that reduces the improvised penalty to -2, and there's a Barbarian variant in Dragon #349 with a similar ability.

The only way I've discovered to get rid of it completely is a 3.0 PrC in Dragon #295, the "Brawler". At 1st level, they gain proficienty in all improvised weapons. At 2nd level, he can use "improvised" as a valid weapon for feats such as Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, etc. Which would just make impchucks that much more awesome.

So, let's see here... Monk 2/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1/Drunken Master 4/Brawler 2/Hulking Hurler 3 could be pretty interesting... add some more levels of Drunken Master, or Master Thrower, or Bloodstorm Blade for additional hilarity.

kamikasei
2008-11-24, 10:54 AM
Well, the obvious question is "are the imps willing?"

TempusCCK
2008-11-24, 01:25 PM
Of course the imps aren't willing, you need a wand of summon monster or a friend with wizard or sorceror levels to bind them to your will for a while!

Heliomance
2008-11-24, 01:54 PM
We've actually come close to this in game. We didn't use impchucks, but the Paladin grappled an imp, and the DM said that because it was so small, he was basically holding it in his fist. He then proceeded to use the imp to Smite Evil on a hellcat.

Lemur
2008-11-24, 02:11 PM
I don't think it should get a sting attack, since the imps would have to be tied together with their tails.

Whiplord
2008-11-24, 02:15 PM
I honestly have no true useful contribution to this topic. But damned if I don't approve.

Zenos
2009-01-05, 02:34 PM
We've actually come close to this in game. We didn't use impchucks, but the Paladin grappled an imp, and the DM said that because it was so small, he was basically holding it in his fist. He then proceeded to use the imp to Smite Evil on a hellcat.

Wouldn't wieldin an unholy weapon grant him negative levels whilst wielding it? :smalltongue:
:smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-01-05, 02:52 PM
In Soviet Russia, Impchucks wield you.

But getting serious, no DM with the tiniest shred of logic will ever allow a PC to wield something as ridiculous as impchucks. Quit basing ideas off of 8-bit. That comic got old a couple hundred strips ago.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-01-05, 03:11 PM
In Soviet Russia, Impchucks wield you.

But getting serious, no DM with the tiniest shred of logic will ever allow a PC to wield something as ridiculous as impchucks. Quit basing ideas off of 8-bit. That comic got old a couple hundred strips ago.

Come on. Not all ____-chucks are based on 8-bit. The idea of tying things to chains has been around a long time before that gag came about.

Also, you're being needlessly antagonistic to something that is quite obviously a joke, and that other people seem to be enjoying. We know no DM will allow it, but that doesn't stop us from debating it. Hypothetical situations, good sir. There's nothing wrong with them. This is just as valid as the Locate City Bomb, only non-rules based as much. Why is that a problem?

Starscream
2009-01-05, 03:13 PM
But getting serious, no DM with the tiniest shred of logic will ever allow a PC to wield something as ridiculous as impchucks.

I've known a few. Obviously the imps would not be willing, but if you tied them up so they couldn't escape, what exactly is the impossible part? I've played characters who picked up tiny monsters and banged them together like cymbals to knock them out before. What's stopping my from hitting one monster over the head with another?

Telonius
2009-01-05, 03:13 PM
An Imp is technically a Tiny creature. So it seems to me that the Imps would probably be held together by specially-made Tiny Dimensional Shackles.

The weapon would require Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use. It counts as an Unholy, Backbiting, Vicious weapon (those Imps are surly).

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-05, 03:15 PM
Something you haven't considered if you're tying the imps up by their tails:

What's stopping them from untying themselves or gnawing through the rope?

Douglas
2009-01-05, 03:29 PM
NO! No recursive nunchaku! Do you know where it leads to? DO YOU?! IT LEADS TO THIS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Koretsu/DireHecaton.jpg

This fierce weapon can only be wielded by a Hecatoncheires. It requires two hands to wield, and thus, a Hecatoncheiries can wield 50 of them at a time. At each end of the chain is another Hecatoncheires. All Hecatoncheires have all thier normal powers and abilities, including Summon Hecatoncheires. Each summoned Hecatoncheires also wields this weapon.
Now to fight this monstrosity, I present a single level 57 single class Fighter! Yes, you heard me right, Fighter! He has spent every last one of his epic feats on Damage Reduction and, as a result, has DR /- greater than the maximum damage of a Hecatoncheires even with maximum Power Attack on anything but a critical hit - and his +1 Heavy Fortification armor takes care of that little issue. What's the rest of his build, you ask? Does it really matter so long as he has a holy weapon? As far as this monster is concerned he's literally invulnerable, so he can take his time whittling the creature(s) down.:smalltongue::smallcool:

Edit: Oh wait, fast healing 50. Meh, 50 damage per round is small change at that level, I see no need to actually stat out a full build to beat such a trivial target.