PDA

View Full Version : NPX: Gates of the Shadowkeep

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dr._Bob
2008-11-23, 11:04 PM
The flash of light envelops the party, filling your lungs with fire. In the last instant, many of you reach for each other instinctively. Flesh is seared from bone; bone is turned to ash. The light fades leaving behind only darkness ...

A second flash of light, followed a split second later by an ear-shattering KRAAAKKK!!! startles you awake. Raindrops, hard and cold, strike you full in the face. You find yourself lying on your back on wet stone.

Other bodies rise slowly to their feet around you. Thunder and lightning light the night sky.

A young woman, long blond hair plastered to her face, turns slowly in circles, trying to look over her shoulder at her back. (Tiriel)

A gnome, with blue eyes and brown hair, touches his ears wonderingly. (Fizahn)

A towering human with a heavily muscled, scarred body rubs his unkempt beard. (Retay)

A lithe woman, naked, unselfconsciously shakes the water from her black hair. Small feathers fall to the ground around her. (Kazz)

An older man, graying, raises his face to the sky, laugh lines crinkling the corners of his eyes. (Evendur)

A young woman with wavy red hair and green eyes wraps her cloak about her tightly, hunching slightly. (Ginevra)

A half-elf with dark eyes and hollowed cheeks stands apart from the others, arms crossed. (Elthan)

A lean man with light brown hair and blue eyes scowls. His features could pass for human. (Grynde)

An elf smiles. His hair and eyes are lighter than you remember. (Aeroz)

A man raises both hands before his eyes and flexes his fingers. Turning his arms this way and that he seems surprised and perhaps a bit disappointed to find both intact. (Callos)

The stone beneath your feet is shattered, a large engraved spiral all but obliterated. Your eyes rise from the ground to find a colonnaded pavilion looming before you.

Shadowy figures stand beneath the pillars, but they do not move as you approach. A pair of yellow eyes shine, and a gravelly voice calls out, "To whom do the two keeps belong?"

As if still in a waking dream, Callos and Fizahn step forward.

"Just so," replies the voice. Stone grinds upon stone, then cracks. The shadowy figures begin to move ...

Dr._Bob
2008-11-23, 11:20 PM
Lightning flashes, illuminating the shadowy figures ...

A half-elf with long, braided black hair grimaces as he stretches his stiff limbs. (Mazom)

An elf with dark brown hair and violet eyes wears a single black feather around his neck. (Addis)

A tall, slim elf with golden eyes and hair folds his hands together pensively. (Darros)

A young man with shoulder-length brown hair, hazel eyes, and a noble bearing tries his best to look nonchalant. (Atoly)

A tall, athletically-built man wiggles his fingers experimentally. (Davek)

A reptilian humanoid crouches warily on all fours before slowly standing fully upright. (Patash)

A fair dwarf with a short beard and piercing blue eyes holds a battleaxe (Harsk)

The seven look down at those of you standing on the stairs below the pavilion.

Cejer
2008-11-23, 11:49 PM
Brown Haired Youth

The young knight raises his armored left hand above his eyes as he looks around him. His back is straight, and he seems to look slightly above the darkened figures. Once or twice his right hand inched towards his left hip before stopping and returning to his side.

He waits silently for another to make the first move.

Frojoe21
2008-11-23, 11:50 PM
Aeroz

The smile fades from the elf's face and he pats his face, torso and groin a frantic manner, as if he was making sure he was actually there. Instinctively dropping his hands to the two swords at his belt, he realizes that he is completely unarmed. Sticking his hand under his shirt, he feels no chainmail either, which brings a look of worry on his face.

"...wait a minute...what happened....didn't we all...didn't I..." he stutters as he gazes at the people in the pavilion. He immediately recognizes Callos, Elthan, Fizhan, and the others, though they seem to be somehow different.

"Now what in the nine hells happened?" he exclaims in frustration.

shaddy_24
2008-11-24, 12:09 AM
Evendur

The aging paladin gazed silently at the dark sky, rain running down his neck. He pulled himself to his feet, keeping his eyes on the clouded sky. Slowly looking back down at his hands, he noted mutely that his musket had vanished. At the same time though, he felt strong again. His strength had returned, after what had been decades of loss. But something else had been taken instead.
"My Lady. Where are you? I can no longer feel your presence," the words, barely a whisper, are almost covered by the rain falling on the ground. Returning his gaze to the heavens, he whispers again, "where have you gone?" He makes no response to Aeroz's question.

Erikkin
2008-11-24, 12:15 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks around. He reaches for his 'short sword.' Not finding it there, he looks around for it. He groans as he sees the rest of the party also unarmed and unarmored. A deep frown comes on his face when he sees Tiriel. He walks to her, and looks up at her, disappointment easily read on his face. "What happened, Angel?" I may have lost my wealth, and after that great windfall, damn. At least I still have a castle?

Tanaar
2008-11-24, 12:17 AM
Golden-haired Elf

Clasping his hands together, the pale eladrin takes in his surroundings. Relying on the superior senses of the High Elves, he remains still for a time. Satisfied he is in no danger yet not trusting these unknown people, he moves toward the edge of the pavilion, enthralled by the storm above. As he pays his respects to the power of nature unleashed, his keen, analytical mind goes into overtime trying to figure out just what the hell is going on here.

Awesomologist
2008-11-24, 12:18 AM
Violet Eyed Elf

Coming to from his near petrification the violet eyed elf reaches up to his black feather and folds his fingers over it. He looks around the room trying to gather his bearings when several voices are heard below him. The elf is unafraid as he moves slightly forward to better see those below and around him, taking time to especially examine the shadowy figures in the room.

Cejer
2008-11-24, 12:32 AM
Brown Haired Youth

The shouts of those outside the pavilion draw the noble's attention. He takes a single, measured step out from between the pillars. He once again glances just above the others in the area, paying special attention to those of elven blood. His gaze lingers perhaps longer than is polite over the dark form of the naked woman before returning to the outspoken elf.

Durendal
2008-11-24, 01:07 AM
Dwarf

"What the devil just happened?" he coolly asks himself.

The last thing the dwarf remembers was a voice and flashing eyes, then the feeling of cold stone and numbness. The last thought makes him shiver, and he is immediately thankful for that small amount of mobility. His next thoughts fly to his two most treasured items. He feels the familiar grip of the axe in his hands and then locates his prized crossbow. These two items secure he looks around him, taking in his surroundings. Six others are with him on the colonnade, all seemingly as mystified as himself. Many more figures loom in the darkness, outside in the rain. He switches weapons, loading a bolt into the ornate crossbow and waits for someone to make the next move.

Matticus
2008-11-24, 01:25 AM
Grynde

Standing, Grynde rubs his eyes several times to attempt to clear them, and then rubs them against when his vision doesn't focus as he'd expect.
What..? I'm...alive...but my sight is...a little hazy. What the hell is going on? He stares at his body, which is different to how he remembered. Before, he had been thinner, lighter...Now he was less angular, less...elven. More like...
Cautiously, almost fearing what he will find, he raises his hands to his ears...They're rounded. His eyes widen and he sits down hard, staring into space, a dozen thoughts intruding all at once on his simple mind, looking almost zombified.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-24, 01:33 AM
Elthan

Elthan shies his way towards the center of the group for protection, holding his arms crossed and putting on his best face of indifference. One moment he was dead, another minute he was destroyed, then now he's slowly growing cold under an enclosure with a storm just outside. He sunken-cheeked half-elf shivers a bit, but not from the cold. It's as if a protective layer had been taken from him and distanced; He could not feel the Weave around him. He could not feel the magic inside of him as he had known. It was gone, like an empty hole in his soul where he had known warmth.

Confused, cold physically and emotionally, and drained of energy, he lashes out at the dwarf at the edge of his vision. "What happened?! We died! Or by all rights should have. We centered ourselves among energies your feeble shrunken mind shall never comprehend while preventing the destruction of the world and now find ourselves asked questions as dumb as yours while we're pelted with cold rain!"

The half-elf fumes for a moment before a shiver runs down his spine, telling him to calm down. He starts to lower his head and hide his face in his arms, his attention shifting off the dwarf entirely. "Hey, Khazrael...", he starts off slowly, softly, "Can you... feel it? Can you feel the Weave anymore? The magic inside... it's not connected anymore. I don't feel it. There's still magic, but I don't feel it."

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-11-24, 02:18 AM
Patash

As the reptilian humanoid with rust colored scales and golden eyes stands, he slowly scans his surroundings. Then exclaims "By Bahamut's Horns what honor is there in turning a man to stone before he has a chance to answer your question?"

He then takes several deep breaths and chants quietly. Now visible calmer he says "I am Patash, of the Talon Lakes Clan does anyone know who the golden eyes belong to and why I was turned to stone?" Patash stops suddenly and looks around franticly as a disturbing thought occurs to him. "How long have I been a statue?" he wonders as he continues to determine how much time has passed.

OOC

Patash is trying to determine is the season is different then when he first entered the colonnaded keep or temple .

Zid
2008-11-24, 06:06 AM
Black-haired half-elf

The Half-elf still moves slowly, and some dust crumbles from his cheeks.

Does your hair grow when you are turned to stone? Where am I?

He holds up both hands palms facing forward. His armour seems rusted and old, and on his back hangs a shield and a scabbard for a scimitar.

Hold your weapons. No one I see here seems like a brigand or a robber, and I most certainly ainīt one myself. I am Mazom Urimgiir Beel and I offer you my peace in the name of Avandra. Now, who are you, and wich one of you released me from my spell?

Dr._Bob
2008-11-24, 12:17 PM
The air is cold and thin, and the rain begins to freeze as it falls. The sleet bites the faces of those not sheltered beneath the colonnaded pavilion as you try to reorient yourselves.

The next flash of lightning reveals that you are perched on a rocky outcropping at the base of a mountain. Two irregularly shaped towers rise behind the pavilion, nestled in a cleft split by a tall, thin waterfall that cascades down the mountain side.

The steps at the foot of the pavilion spill onto the shattered flat rock. A narrow winding trail leads downward from the open field of stones toward a valley surprisingly far below. A small cluster of wan yellow lights flicker down in the valley, signs of a small village.

You appear to be neither where nor when you thought you were ...

Tanaar
2008-11-24, 01:46 PM
Golden-haired Elf

The tall elf smiles in appreciation as the weather gets worse. Wrapping his thick blue robes more tightly around his thin frame, he turns and walks back towards those standing under the shelter of the collonade.

"Indeed not, cousin," he says, addressing the nervous half-elf, "My name is Darros of House Havath. My initial analysis of the situation leads me to believe we were all transported here in a similar manner, against our will. The means of how it was done are as yet beyond my arcane understanding. It does not appear that the culprit is present, though they may be hidden from sight."

Stepping lightly toward the steps, Darros peers through the pelting rain at the group below. "It appears that our friends down there are just as confused as we are. It seems prudent to find out what they know, though I have not the force of lungs to invite them to join us in shelter from this glorious storm. Would one of you do the honors?"

Cejer
2008-11-24, 02:26 PM
Brown Haired Youth

"Hah!” An arrogant, shrill laugh pierces the sleet.

He turns towards his black-haired companion and continues, "Am I to believe that you are such a judge of character that you are certain of another's intent even before seeing their face? Then tell us the plans of whoever built this place."

Looking at the golden-eyed elf he continues his outburst. "And you, after a few minutes of standing around you claim we are all unwilling travelers?" His voice takes on a commanding tone. Not the tone that inspires obedience, but the tone used to being obeyed in all things. "I will not believe you until the inhabitants of this land confirm your story. We shall set forth once I have been satisfactorily convinced of your innocence."

"And should I be correct, my father yet rules these lands and my word is his law."

Tanaar
2008-11-24, 02:54 PM
Darros

Darros arches a delicate eyebrow at the brash nobleman. "Young sir, none here challenged you. Your outburst and aggression was as unnecessary as it was rude. I was born to the peerage in my land, and a wise noble does not treat unknown strangers with contempt." Gesturing to the unusual landscape, he continues, "Further, when one awakes in a strange land surrounded by people who were clearly displaced at the same moment as themselves, it is plain that they have all been abducted. This conclusion is more easily reached if one observes their fellow travelers rather than berates them. All of us present here were clearly startled upon waking. You yourself concealed it better than most, but your eyes told it plainly." Dropping his hand, Darros changes posture, smiling warmly at the nobleman's son. "For what its worth, friend, I don't know where we are either, though I doubt it is your father's land."

Erikkin
2008-11-24, 03:03 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn shields his eyes and looks up at the pavilion. The gnome then looks down at the town far below. "I don't much like this hail. I say we get out of it quickly. I'd prefer to go to the town, but the pavilion is much closer." And there's the problem of not knowing where this is and what we're doing here. "Maybe one of the people up there is a local and can direct us... somewhere?"

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-24, 03:29 PM
Elthan

The black-haired elfs breath shivers as he tries to calm himself. He taps Fizahn on the shoulder and points towards the towers, one arm still wrapped around his chest. "Those should be safe if I'm correct. We can rest there until the storm passes, and head down to the village as soon as possible to get our bearings."

Nahal
2008-11-24, 04:06 PM
Tall, athletic-looking human

Satisfied that the petrification had no unfortunate aftereffects, the human looks about as if taking stock of his situation. After listening to the ongoing conversation, he addresses those near him when an opening presents itself.

I agree, it was bloody rude of that thing to turn us to stone just because we couldn't answer a stupid question, he says to the gold-eyes reptilian. I'm just thankful my gear's still here. Wouldn't be much fun trying to camp out on this stone. He then turns toward the elf and arrogant human. I don't know about you lot, but this definitely isn't the countryside I was hiking in before I was turned into a decoration for this place. I wouldn't make any assumptions about who holds sway here till we know just where here is. He then notices the group at the bottom of the steps, and moves toward the entrance to get a better look at them. Anyone looking closely will notice the shadows near him twist ever so slightly in a subtle, odd and somehow alien fashion. Other than leather armor, a dagger in a sheath at his belt and a pack that obviously has some gear inside he doesn't look to be carrying any weapons. Hello! He calls to the group below. We are travelers that took shelter from the weather in this pavilion. Can you tell me how far it is to the nearest town?

OOC: Will roll bluff if needed, though nothing he has said is untrue :smallwink:.

Zid
2008-11-24, 04:25 PM
Mazom

The black-haired vagabond nods his head at Darros. He points at the dark towers. "Just before I slept, someone asked me a question about those towers. They seem inhospitable indeed. The small village below seems like a much better place to start. Do you agree?"

He turns to the golden haired youth. "Pleased to meet you, young noble lord. May I ask your name?"

Koji
2008-11-24, 04:28 PM
Nude Woman

A tree blown bare of its leaves, someone close is missing...

Shivering, the pale woman curls a whip-thin tail protectively around herself as she looks about. She lacks the well-toned athleticism of the other two women, and wearing only the black feathers in her hair, seems fairly out of place. She stares forward with a glassy look that fades into focus as she takes in the vaguely familiar faces around her.

Tiriel? I remember the Redhead's face, I think. That's Grynde over there...

The half-elf's voice catches her attention. She snaps about to face him with a strained look, and lets his question sink in before asking, "How do you know Khazrael?"

Presently, she folds her arms over herself and stammers, "I need...it's cold..."

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-24, 05:10 PM
Elthan

"Huh?" says the half-elf in an off-handed manner as he looks back at Khazrael puzzled. How do I know him indeed... he scoffs inside his head. With some glimmer of concern, he pulls off his robe and wraps it around the tiefling quickly, leaving himself with his thin shirt and trousers. "You really should have looked into transforming into something with feathers in more places than your head." he chides, "I wouldn't be surprised if you had some feathers in your brain as well..."

He looks around and addresses his companions and the strangers as well. "Callos, Fizahn, everyone, let's get inside the towers now before we freeze. With my slim recall of events, by some happenstance, these two towers belong to both our Necromancer and our Gnome. I will explain that later. I don't suspect any surprises within, yet even so we should be safe if we just enter and hide. So whatever has occurred, let's get out of the rain now."

Koji
2008-11-24, 05:23 PM
Robed Woman

As Elthan draws nearer, he can see more clearly that something has clearly gone awry.

This woman does bear a resemblance to the succubus in the spiral chamber, but up close, seems like someone else entirely. Her features are softer, her figure is less idealistic, and she's nearly a head shorter than she was. Most notably, she's missing a pair of wings.

She pulls the robe over herself and looks about, watching for a sign that anyone else might be able to make sense of what the half-elf has said.

Frojoe21
2008-11-24, 05:25 PM
Aeroz

"I'm going to have to agree on Fizhan with this one. If we head to the town, we might find someone to clue us in on where we are."

Aeroz shifts oddly from foot to foot.

"I miss the weight of my weapons...Damn Longblade was a gift from Shevarash hiself" he grumbles.

Erikkin
2008-11-24, 05:31 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at Elthan. "I know I've got a castle, some of us are lucky with cards, but how do you know that that's mine? And if it is mine, perhaps you should be a little worried for yourself?" He then turns and looks at the rest of the group. "I just think that the towers seem a little ominous. Does anyone else agree with me? Opinions on this situation might be useful.

Retay. You're usually silent, but it's time to weigh in.

Anika. Do you have a new name for these conditions?

Callos. You're usually a very vocal person full of advice. Let's hear it.

Aeroz. Thank you. I'm right.

Khazrael. Why are you currently a woman?

Grynde. No one cares what you think anyway.

Evendur. Does your God have any counsel for us?

Tiriel. You haven't said anything. Are you okay?"

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-24, 05:39 PM
Callos

His mind was swarming with all that had happened, the hows and whys that he just plain didn't know or even understand. Why was he alive again? How had they even gotten to this place? What about Sethra and his plans for...had he succeeded?! Was this the new world that Sethra had tried to bring about?

Irritation swung in equal parts with confusion and rage on his face as the others assembled underneath the freezing rain. If it bothered him then it didn't show on his face, instead simply reaching up to cup his chin in thought when Elthan passes his shirt over to the...was that Khaz? So it hadn't been a perfect change then. His eyes were focused on the pavilion with the people clustered about underneath of it, trying to avoid thinking about the fact that his arm had returned to it's normal shape. So even that experiment had been undone..

Without waiting the necromancer..was he still a necromancer? It didn't feel like it anymore..strode up towards the steps of the pavilion with only a glance cast back towards the others. "The towers, quickly. We need someplace to think about what the hell has happened."

Granted his path was going to take him right by the pavilion but the irate older man seemed uncaring about who those people were. Either they'd stop him or not on his way past.

Awesomologist
2008-11-24, 05:45 PM
Violet-Eyed Elf

As voices are raised outside the pavilion, the violet-eyed elf moves down to where those speaking have congregated. Hearing some suggest making for the village below, the elf speaks out, "It appears there are quite a few of us that have found ourselves where we did not intend to be."
The elf pauses and looks at the others as thunder from the gathering storm rumbles. "My name is Addis Qatur, humble servant of the Raven Queen. I would be glad to accompany anyone down to the village below so that we may find some answers."

Matticus
2008-11-24, 05:50 PM
Grynde

People speaking, wondering, moving...This is all lost on the human as he stares aimlessly into space. As the cold moves in around him, he snaps back into reality, looking confused rather than his usual angry. Around him, people continue to speak, but it doesn't seem to matter to him. He stands, and walks in the same direction as Callos, although he doesn't look up from the ground as he walks.

Cejer
2008-11-24, 05:51 PM
Brown Haired Youth

"Oh, so you're what pass for nobility amongst the elfin kind? I should apologize. I did not realize any of noble blood would be so unarmed." The youth is hardly sincere.

"And I do know where we are, and you lot have approached me from the shadows like a pack of thieves. I have every right to accuse you of misconduct. Though it is now nightfall, I remember climbing up here just hours ago. Then," the noble pauses for a moment, "I find myself here, surrounded by men skulking in the shadows."

His stiff posture relaxes somewhat as Mazom asks his question. Turning and making a formal bow, he responds in a rehearsed tone, "I am Atoly Magivol, Baron of Stryna. Young Lord will be acceptable."

Next turning to the dwarf, he calls out in a reasonable tone offset by harsher words. “Sir dwarf, lower your crossbow in the presence of nobility and introduce yourself. Quickly if you would.”

shaddy_24
2008-11-24, 05:59 PM
Evendur

The paladin turns to Fizahn. "I have lost my connection to her." He turns as Callose begins walking up the stairs. Quietly, he begins to follow, paying no attention to the rest of his old companions or the group he's moving towards.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-24, 06:30 PM
Elthan

Elthan urges Khazrael along with him as he chases after Callos, noting casually, "Come along now, I don't want to lose track of my robe." He throws his cloth belt over his head and catches up with his friend as swiftly as he can, marching alongside.

"So what are your thoughts? Have you felt anything either Callos? It may be me, but things feel different. I don't like what that may be a sign of."

Nahal
2008-11-24, 06:55 PM
Tall, athletic human

Noticing Callos and Grynde (though he doesn't yet know their names) coming up the steps, the human turns to Addis. In this weather, I might suggest we instead get indoors. You may call me Davek if you wish, and if you decide to wait out the night here I'd be happy to come with you to the village after the storm breaks. I may not look it, but I've helped fend off a bandit or two and know how to ask the right questions to get our bearings without looking like complete idiots once we reach town. Next Davek turns to the loud-mouthed noble, deciding he thinks the "Young Lord" ought to find a healer to remove the tree that seems to have lodged itself in his posterior. We're doubtless far from your retinue, Baron, and in my experience it's not always a good idea to be rude to men skulking in shadows. They may not share your respect for title or station, particularly if your title relates to a land they've never heard of.

Realizing such words might do more harm than good here, Davek takes a more conciliatory tone next. On the other hand, Baron, while you seem to be aware of your surroundings most of us are lost. It might benefit us to remain together for the night in case we are accosted by unsavory types while we rest, and I for one would appreciate the aid of one who knows the area come morning. Rolling bluff and diplomacy for reference purposes, though I gather it doesn't necessarily make a difference between PC's. Bluff: [roll0] Diplomacy: [roll1]

Also, it looks like we'll have additional company shortly. Two of the group from down below are approaching. To Callos, he call out Hail, and well met! What brings you to these parts?

blackfox
2008-11-24, 07:41 PM
Young red-haired female human

The young woman shivers. Agh. It's col--

Hold on... It's cold. I'm feeling.

She pinches herself. "Ow..."

I'm still alive.

She stops walking abruptly, and Fizahn almost bumps into her.

"Oops... sorry, Fizahn." She looks down at her surprisingly human form. "I guess just call me Ginevra." She pulls her cloak around her body and trudges towards the pavilion, following Callos.

Tanaar
2008-11-24, 08:02 PM
Darros

Shaking his head at the man's continued arrogance, Darros raises a hand. Holding aloft an orb of clear crystal, a low crack of thunder retorts, and electricity crackles between his fingers and the orb. "Baron, I have no quarrel with you. But know that there is more to a man than brute force, and I need no steel to measure myself by." The electricity flickers out as he pockets the orb. "Harsh words have been said, but there is no reason for us to be enemies. I return respect when respect is given, or at least civility. Let us start anew."

kuja.girl
2008-11-24, 09:19 PM
Tiriel

Fizahn's repeated queries finally sink in. Tiriel notices that she's standing with a group of people that are both familiar and strange. She thinks she knows all of them, but "recognize" might be too strong of a word. Obviously she's not the only person who's lost things but she can't help but feel isolated by her loss. And cold. She wraps her arms around herself as she replies to Fizahn, "Yeah sorry, I... I'm just..." just what? she thinks, shocked, confused, scared, angry? All of those things. The pain that had come before had been searingly physical. What replaced it now was the sharp realization of what was lost.

"Yeah I'm ok.." Tiriel joins her red-headed friend and heads toward the tower, her troubled thoughts keeping her occupied.

Dr._Bob
2008-11-24, 10:21 PM
The ten of you climb the stairs until you are sheltered beneath the colonnaded pavilion's roof. The pavilion is open on three sides but is sealed at the back. As you move deeper into the gloom, you find two pairs of large wooden doors, banded in iron, set into the rear wall of the pavilion. The doors flank a stone statue of a giant basilisk who is curled up with its eyes closed as though sleeping ...

Some of the seven warriors standing among the pillars bicker while others try to introduce themselves. Others ask questions that are lost in the confusion.

Names are exchanged, but it remains difficult to match so many new names with so many different faces - elven, human and ... neither? The words begin to blur into each other ... Addis ... Atoly (the "young lord") ... Darros ... Davek ... Mazom.

Patash, by all appearances a talking lizardman, reminds some of you of Ssathiya. Some of you eye the dwarf up and down. Perhaps Thokk has returned yet again from the dead? His beard is cut short however, and he appears to have a more fair complexion than the oft-slain demonslayer. Perhaps stung by Elthan's hostility, the dwarf is not quick to name himself.

The one called Davek hails your group directly, and awaits a response.

Almost unnoticed, an eighth newcomer steps out from behind a pillar, where he had been observing the others. He is another elf, blond-haired and blue-eyed, but taller than most of his kin. His light blue cloak matches his eyes. A bow is slung over his shoulders.

The air is cold, and even some who aren't dripping wet shiver. Several look down the mountain into the valley. The trip down the mountainside to the village will be treacherous in the darkness and rain. It would likely be many hours before any shelter (assuming there would be shelter available) could be reached ...

OOC: Please feel free to start using the OOC thread (in my spoiler sig) to introduce yourselves to each other ...

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-24, 11:14 PM
Callos

The knowledge that the others were following him only rang dimly in the back of his mind, everything was just too..off for him to pay particular note of the fact his companions hurried up the steps behind him. Still his mind was too involved with the basics of what had happened or what seemed to have happened. Why was his arm back and what did it mean? What had happened to Khaz? Tiriel didn't seem to be okay either and his gaze lingered briefly on her. Why was she confused? If anything she seemed to be the same.

And then there were the people huddled together in the pavilion already, some who were arguing amongst themselves while another was...talking to him? Callos's brow furrowed, pausing as he took stock of the man who had called out greetings to him. He didn't seem to be a threat but then again the same could have been said for half a dozen other things he had encountered. "Hail." Comes the reply in a rough voice that sounds as if the owner had a truly miserable day, which Callos had actually had,

"I am traveling to the two towers behind you, as do those with me. Unless I'm mistaken neither of us has reason take offense to the other and I'd like to keep it that way." The lanky human says, reaching up to brush pitch black hair back out of his face from where it had been pelted down by freezing rain. Once more his dark eyes took stock of those within the pavilion now that he could see them clearly but unless any of them moved to stop him, the human scuffled across the floor towards those iron bound doors that seemed to impede his progress.

"Ginerva, could you come here for a moment?" He asks distractedly, waiting until the mysterious, and now changed, woman had joined him before leaning down to whisper into her ear. "Make sure these doors are safe to open and pick the locks if you need to. We need to get to those towers as quickly as possible."

Nahal
2008-11-24, 11:48 PM
Davek

Seeing the fellow was obviously not in the mood for pleasantries, he lets him pass. As he turns to do so he sees the statue near the towers' entrance, and a part of his mind can't help but wonder if there was some relation between the golden eyes he saw just before being petrified and the location of the statue here. He pushes it away as the other man approaches the doors it would have been guarding against intrusion, and instead gets a look at the others from the second (or first?) group as they approach. Davek attempts to identify who among them seems to be the leader (Insight: [roll0]) and addresses whoever he identifies as such.

I hate to impose, but if you are going to enter one or both of these towers I'd ask if we, or at the very least I, would be able to follow you in. We need not stay together once inside, but I doubt I have the skill to bypass the locks if there are any. Also, this isn't the kind of night that you spend outdoors and I'd prefer to avoid freezing to death.

Edit, OOC: Man, gotta love those ones. Ah well, better to get 'em now than in the middle of a boss fight.

blackfox
2008-11-24, 11:49 PM
Ginevra

"I'll take a look at it, but I don't think I have lockpicks on me."

She walks slowly and nervously towards the door, very carefully avoiding the basilisk's eyes. Without looking back at Callos, she says, "Hey Callos... What's in those towers? Why are we going there?

"...What just happened to us?"

With a sad expression, she scans the area in front of her for possible traps or hazards.

[roll0]

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-25, 12:13 AM
Callos

"...I don't know. I have thoughts, theories...but nothing solid. I'm hoping some place warm and out of the rain will do wonders to help clear my mind." He admits in another whisper to Ginerva as she looks over the doors while avoiding the gaze of the basilisk. It was obvious he didn't exactly enjoy having to admit something like that either, he was used to..well..knowing at least a little bit more then everyone else and while he still knew a little more all it did was make him question more things.

That's one of the reasons it was him that spoke up when the tall fellow, Davek, looked for the one among them who seemed to be the leader. Not because he was but because everyone had their own problems at the moment and his own seemed the least pressing.

"Listen, I don't know if we'll be able to get into the towers either. It's just a strong hunch on my part but if we can then I see no reason why you can't come in as well...as long as you swear not to commit violence against us at least. You all seem pretty trustworthy after all." Maybe it was the confusion but Callos's voice was less...rude then normal. It was probably just these strange new surroundings but because these others seemed at least to recognize the land he didn't want to alienate them.

He also didn't want them to attack Ginerva either while she took a risk purely on his behalf either. That's why, for the first time since he had known the woman, Callos gave her a comforting pat on the shoulder, as if to transfer some of his own confidence to the other, and interposed himself between her and these strangers.

Erikkin
2008-11-25, 12:30 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn follows Callos and the rest of the group grudgingly. He casts suspicious looks at the towers as they get closer. He is a three foot three gnome with dark red hair. He has a trimmed goatee also, and light blue eyes. Minor scars can be seen on his arms. He doesn't look happy with the weather conditions and his current situation. He glares at Callos as he asks Ginevra to search the door. "Sure. Ask her. She's the first option. Much better than me. Actually tall enough to reach the lock." He looks the people he doesn't know over as Callos talks to them. "Huh. Bickering amongst yourselves already. I think they'll fit right in with us." He spends some time looking at the one referred to as the young lord. Hopefully you brought some of your wealth with you.

Tanaar
2008-11-25, 12:48 AM
Darros

Darros hurries to catch up to Callos, Fizahn and the others. "{Not exactly, my gnomish friend. Just a frightened boy used to relying on his father's protection. With any luck, he'll relax soon,}" he says in Elven, a language commonly shared by elvenkind and gnomes. Switching back to Common, he turns to the rest, "You folks seem to know the most about what's going on here, or at least where we are. Being left in the dark is maddening to me, so I think I'll stick with you. My knowledge of the arcane and divine arts is at your disposal."

Seeking to demonstrate his capabilities and forestall any unseen danger, Darros uses his knowledge of the arcane to Detect Magic at the doors. Can't do roll in an edit, will roll it in OOC.

Cejer
2008-11-25, 01:07 AM
Atoly Magivol

Atoly gives an irritated reply to his elven counterpart. "Very well Lord Haveth. Civility."

Giving a grim smile to Davek, Atoly walks closer as he converses casually. "You need not worry on a knight's behalf. I have little reason to fear common bandits, and a troupe of assassins would have been more professional than you." Atoly gestures at the others on the pavilion.

Further conversation is briefly interrupted by the old man's grouchy comments.

The youth follows the old man to the back of the pavilion while speaking to Davek. "If you would have my protection and guidance, it will be located within those towers. This land is my fathers, and so the towers rightly belong," his personable tone fades away. After an uncertain pause he starts again. "As I was saying, I intend to spend the night in some sort of shelter. One of those towers will be suitable."

A visible frown crosses his face as Darros speaks in the elven tongue.

Durendal
2008-11-25, 01:11 AM
Dwarf

"By Moradin's beard your a loud one." he says to the obnoxious human "prince" "The names Harsk, now, if you'll excuse me I think I'll help the lady with the door."

Ignoring the rest of the bickering tall people, Harsk moves over to the door that the cloaked woman is inspecting and begins to check for traps or locks himself.
"'Scuse me miss, thought I'd lend ye me hand."

Theivery[roll0]
Made the perception check in the OOC thread. My bad, 4e skills are messing with me.

Naleh
2008-11-25, 01:26 AM
Retay

The huge berserker looks around slowly, trying to piece together what happened.

The kris stabbed the orb... There was the snake man... Evendur yelled something... I was turning the platform, yes, I was turning and turning - and then a burning pain, ever so much pain, and a bright light...

He shakes his head to clear it. Strangers move about on the pavilion. Retay snatches up his greataxe.

His axe isn't there.

He knows that he often drops his weapon, more worried about present need than longer-term battle tactics. But as he searches the ground, noticing the broken spiral but not realising its significance, he realises he is dressed in his usual furs - not his gleaming new breastplate. His axe, it seems, is gone.

Gone... The axe which was my life on the Narfell... The axe which has been faithfully at my back ever since I left my people... The axe which has wreaked so much vengeance... Gone.

Fizahn calls out Retay's name, and the giant man jerks back to the present. The strangers have still made no threatening moves, so Retay ignores them for the moment and turns to look among his allies. It quickly becomes apparent that many of them have lost more than an axe.

He wordlessly answers Fizahn's question by joining the group walking towards the towers, despite the fact that Callos and Elthan recommended it. The cold doesn't bother him - in fact it is relaxing after Hlondeth's climate, and the lava, and the dragons, and the bright light... - but if there's one thing a northerner knows, it's not to underestimate the weather.

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-11-25, 01:51 AM
Patash

Patash listens as the others try to determine what happened. As the people climb the stairs, he pulls his bed roll from his pack and hands it to the red haired-woman saying, "Wrap yourself in this. The weather is affecting you the most." He then addresses the rest of the climbers "I am Patash of the Talon Lakes Clan. Do any of you know how we all came to be hear and who is the rude being with the flashing golden eyes?"

While the others work on the doors, Patash searches for materials to make a fire with. He gathers up what he finds and brings it with him when then doors are opened.

Dr._Bob
2008-11-25, 07:22 AM
Ginevra is somewhat surprised when the massive lizard-man hands her a bedroll and when a stout dwarf appears at her side to help inspect the locks, but she is perhaps most amazed by Callos' friendly gesture. To her recollection, this might be one of the first times he had ever spoken directly to her, and it was certainly the first time he had touched her ...

Both Ginevra and Harsk inspect both pairs of doors carefully. Both appear to be unlocked and untrapped as best they can tell. They look at each other and nod in agreement. Each leaning against one door, the push open the pair to the right of the basilisk. The doors swing open nearly soundlessly.

Inside is a large, enclosed colonnaded gallery, essentially the mirror image of the pavilion. All is quiet and dark, but dry, within.

The lizard-man, Patash, scouts around the pavilion for material for a fire, but the building is surrounded by shattered rock and scree. The few scraggly shrubs clinging to the side of the mountain are sopping wet.

Frojoe21
2008-11-25, 10:38 AM
Aeroz

Upon seeing the inside of the towers, Aeroz can't help but heave a heavy sigh.

"Huh. First time we go in a tower and aren't treated to a watery grave or a teleportation magic. I still say we should visit that village at some point and try to get our bearings here though. Maybe a nice hot meal..."

Erikkin
2008-11-25, 10:59 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn stands back as the other experts ply their trade. He ignores the elf's comment, not fully understanding what it meant. The young noble soon offers his own words, and Fizahn sighs. "He's going to have to room in your tower, Callos. I refuse to have him in mine. Speaking of that, which is yours, and which is mine? I don't suppose some considerate golden-eyed entity decided to carve our names in them." As Aeroz speaks, Fizahn smiles mischievously at him. "It is our intention to visit the villages soon. We need some equipment, and I intend to get it. One way or another."

blackfox
2008-11-25, 11:07 AM
Ginevra

"...Thank you, Callos... Harsk, Patash... I'll try to remember your names, but you'll probably have to remind me." Ginevra is suprised at the generosity and (for the most part) non-bickering among the newcomers. I guess we're the newcomers now, actually... or something like that. "We're all clear, guys." She helps Harsk push the doors open.

Ginevra goes with Patash to look for something burnable. "I'm not exactly sure myself how we came to be here... My friends and I were caught in some sort of powerful magical explosion that should have killed us all... but here we are, and I'm pretty sure I'm alive."

She shouts over her shoulder, "I call a room with a view, Fizahn!"

Zid
2008-11-25, 11:55 AM
Mazom

Mazom smiles, revealing a silver tooth in his upper jaw and gently nudges Darros in the side. "Ah, the nature of youth. I would gladly be so brash if I could experience the wonders of youth once more." His comment is rather quiet, and obviously aimed at Atoly.

Searching inside his backpack, the blade-bearing half-elf in the rusted armour holds out a foot long rod. He gently nuges it, and a bright light shoots out from it, illuminating the surroundings.

"Always more nice to see where you are going," he says, smiling at the robed woman. "Charming to make your acquaintance. May I offer you my protection until you have sufficiently prepared yourself? I do belive that I have some extra clothing in my backpack as well, just until you have time to.. get your own."

He turns around, looking at the strange collection of characters. "Gentlemen and ladies. Surely someone of you has the ability to make fire without wood? Otherwise I fear that the night will be colder than it has to."

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-25, 12:22 PM
Elthan

Elthan wrings out the shoulders of his pale white shirt as he steps inside, looking about with an idle curiosity. He eyes his way around gallery, noting doorways to investigate later on, stairways, stonework should the style of construction be at all familiar. He shakes his head to the older half-elf as turns around, "Making fire through magic is simple enough, but it still won't last without some fuel. You said you had some extra clothes didn't you? Let him keep my robe for now and we'll set fire to what you have so we can dry off well."

I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with attempting magic while I feel like this, but a simple cantrip shouldn't be a problem, right?, he thinks as his sullen face sinks, What if it's like Evandur who said he can't feel his god? I had access to Shars weave and may now be disconnected from both her and Mystra. Will I be able to cast magic at all? Is the Weave even present here? Where is here anyway, we still haven't figured that out.

Cejer
2008-11-25, 01:26 PM
Atoly Maginol

Stiffening his back a the short one's comment, the young noble's face shows very little emotion. In a cool tone he addresses the impudent rogue. "Your tower? I assume you acquired in accordance of the right and just laws of this land. Tell me how you were granted a keep upon my family's hereditary grounds?"

Erikkin
2008-11-25, 01:50 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at the noble. "Well, it all started in the magical land of pixies and unicorns. We had just slain the terrible vampire that had taken over the land, and helped ourselves to the spoils in her puzzle boxes. One of those things in the puzzle box was an enchanted deck of cards. Three of us drew from the magical deck, and two of us got the throne card. The other one was pretty much screwed over. So, when we were blowed up and came here, the magical floating goldeyes tells me that this is my castle, and I'm not going to argue with a pair of magical floating eyes. For starters, it can't hear me." The gnome grins at Atoly. "You wouldn't want to go against an omnipotent pair of golden eyes, would you?"

Knubs
2008-11-25, 02:10 PM
Blond haired and blue-eyed elf

Kavri looks around him taking everything in. His gaze stays slightly on the lizard man in confusion. Never seen one of them before... He does some stretches and moves about a little not sure what's going on. So the gnome or that little man, they own the keep. Well, if one's thing is for certain, I don't own it, but if it's up for grabs, I might want to hang around.

OOC: He introduces himself with everybody, I guess. Sorry about being a bit late.

Cejer
2008-11-25, 02:11 PM
Atoly Magivol

Brow furrowed as he tries to catch the gnome's rapid explanation, Atoly hesitantly replies. "So, you are an insane squatter. Is there one of you with wits that would attempt to claim ownership?"

shaddy_24
2008-11-25, 02:38 PM
Evendur

The paladin gazes mutely back and forth between the gnome and the noble. Their argument was going no where, and it was cold and wet outside. "Ownership aside, we need cover from the rain." He steps inside, despite the dark. Moving to the side, he follows the wall, searching for a set of stairs or a doorway.

Awesomologist
2008-11-25, 02:48 PM
Addis Qatur

As the others decide to stay at the pavilion, Addis reluctantly agrees to stay here at the pavilion and further explore the towers while waiting out the storm.
Hearing the gnome and lanky human lay claim to the towers Addis brings himself closer to those by the doors. "If these towers belong to you two, then what of the rest of us? I certainly hope you do not believe we come with the tower!"

Erikkin
2008-11-25, 02:53 PM
Fizahn:

The gnome looks at Addis. He just stares at him for a second before replying in a sarcastic voice. "Yes. You're obviously my serfs. What magical deck of cards would give a person a castle without giving him serfs as well? Admittedly, I was expecting a few thousand more." Fizahn then ignores both of the people talking to him and walks through the doors in front of him.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-25, 03:05 PM
Callos

The former necromancer hesitated before walking into the interior of the pavilion, briefly going back out into the freezing rain until he found what he had wanted to find. Soon he once again looked at the door way before stepping inside. It was...difficult to figure out how to do it now. No arcane formulas came to his mind, no eldritch writings blazed into being, it simply happened.

One of the four one pound rocks he had sought out began to glow with a clear white light that'd do wonders for chasing away the gloom in this dark interior. Closing his eyes, and with obvious effort, Callos willed a small skeletal hand into being and looked at it wordlessly until it drifted down to grasp the glowing rock and hoist it higher up into the air.

Briefly dark eyes alight on Atoly after Fizahn's predictably sarcastic explanation and the man groaned to himself.

Not another one. Best to clear this up before it gets out of hand.

His now free hand waved, eyes closed as he tried to bring forth the image in his mind and finally did though it was clearly just that, an image. The image was of the deck of cards that had been looted from the vampiress Valentine and it spun in the air for a long couple of moments before a single card flipped out of the deck while the rest faded from view. On it was an elaborate looking throne card.

"This is how Fizahn and I own these towers. The deck of cards is an magical artifact of a particularly...fickle nature with the power to bring great prosperity or great harm. That card is the Throne which likely constructed these towers, or so I hope to discover, among other things. Personally I don't care if you believe me or not, if I discover these are in fact the gifts from that card then I will be moving in here until I discover how I was returned from the dead in a world entirely not my own." He says gruffly, staring at the noble hard before returning to what he had been doing. The throne card faded away into smokey nothingness as Callos turned his attention to the wet rocks that he had grabbed from out in the rain. Taking just a brief moment he pulled off his cloak and meticulously dried them off before focusing his will upon the inanimate matter.

With a wane little smile he noted with satisfaction as the stones warmed in his grasp and pulled his cloak back on, using it to cover his left arm out of habit. That done he passed out the heated stones to Khaz, Fizahn and Ginerva with a little nod of his head.

"Those aren't much, and I doubt it'll last longer then the hour, but it's at least some heat. Pass them around once the chill is gone." He instructs the three before gazing around the pavilion. "Elthan..it looks like we can still use magic at the very least. Maybe we aren't that far removed from Hlondeth after all. Try it yourself, see if you can dry off that shrubbery." The necromancer suggests a bit listlessly as he drifts down towards the end of the colonnaded gallery with the glowing stone following above him, though he made certain not to drift too far.

Going to try and find about...4 one pound stones Dr. B, which shouldn't too be hard. One I'll use light on and mage hand (expending a minor action every round to sustain it) and all of the rest is just Prestidigitation so it's not VERY warm or Very real looking images.

Nahal
2008-11-25, 03:10 PM
Davek

Seeing the doors open to somewhere that is most likely less hostile than his current environment, Davek decides that the most pressing issue at this point is to get somewhere comparatively warm and dry before sorting out the more existential questions of "where are we going, why are we here, and whose castle is whose anyway?"

Could we possibly continue our discussions indoors? The keeps appear to be both open and unguarded, and if they do in fact belong to the two of you we should hopefully not have all that much to worry about. As for the fire issue, I've spent a night or two in the woods and if needed can conjure a spark. I always had a preference for the old-fashioned way though. Much more satisfying.

Davek then moves towards whichever keep currently has the fewest people inside. If nothing attempts to stop him he'll then try to find a room with a fireplace and (if there's wood available) set about getting a fire going and warming himself.

Awesomologist
2008-11-25, 04:08 PM
Fizahn:

The gnome looks at Addis. He just stares at him for a second before replying in a sarcastic voice. "Yes. You're obviously my serfs. What magical deck of cards would give a person a castle without giving him serfs as well? Admittedly, I was expecting a few thousand more." Fizahn then ignores both of the people talking to him and walks through the doors in front of him.

Addis' eyes narrow in on the gnome, but maintains a steady voice, "Seems to me as though the deck did not bother to try and find deserving masters for its gifts."
The elf turns his attention to Callos and watches the mage's curious use of skeletal hands to move stones about while he explains the situation. "Unfortunately this still offers no explanation as to why those of us not involved with your previous... life... are here. Although perhaps we may find some more information within... That is, if you will allow us to enter 'your' towers."

Matticus
2008-11-25, 04:19 PM
Grynde

He stands aside from the others, watching the arrogant human shooting his mouth off. I'm one of them now. One of these...people...Goddamnit. I'm not like them, damn it! And where the hell are my swords?? I can still shut this one up if he keeps gabbing, though.
Looking distinctly angry, he trots across the group until he is face to face with the young 'noble', glaring furiously.
Shut. Up. he says through clenched teeth, before walking off again.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-25, 04:25 PM
Callos

Callos paused as Addis spoke to him, turning slowly to face him with a steady gaze.

"I don't remember the part where I pretended to know why you all were standing under a pavilion in the middle of nowhere, so I'll kindly ask you not to get snippy with me." He says pointedly, not drawing any closer but turning his attention back to however far his light let him look. "And in any case I would prefer no one go into either tower until we know they are safe and even then I'd prefer none be in mine if one is indeed mine. However I also realize that is an utter impossibility considering the circumstances so I've given up the hope of potential privacy already."

Sure he was rambling a bit, but given the situation Callos thought he deserved the chance to let his thoughts air out in the open. "Instead of taking offense though, why don't you share how you came here? I'll be happy to do the same but your story seems more interesting then ours."

Koji
2008-11-25, 04:39 PM
Kazz

Holding the robe tight around herself, she follows alongside Elthan and Callos with a blank expression, slowly picking out a barefoot path over the wet stone. A sense of panic grows as she climbs each step.

A round of introductions shuffle by, and she offers her own. "My name is, uhm," she pauses, looking worried, "Kazz. I think."

"Am I the only one here who doesn't know anyone?" She asks, "I gather that something confusing has happened, but...who are you people?"

Nahal
2008-11-25, 04:41 PM
Davek

Seeing Callos' request as reasonable, Davek pauses before going into the tower and takes a couple steps back toward the group. He shares as much about his circumstances as he is willing to with a group of total strangers.

I'd been doing freelance work for a mages' guild in a city near where I grew up. Escort work mostly; I may not look it but I can be pretty useful when things go south. It got boring after a while, and I'd been getting pretty sick playing hired goon for overinflated dandies. I skipped off and went for an extended hike to get away from all the guild horsedung for a bit. Weather turned sour, I made my way to what looked like a conveniently unoccupied structure to keep myself out of the rain. When I approached, I saw a pair of gold-colored eyes and something asked me who the two keeps belong to. Not knowing what the bloody ____ the question meant, I didn't answer. Next thing I know, I'm turning into a statue. That's pretty much it until a few minutes ago, when I was back to normal all of a sudden and you lot were down below. I imagine the rest of us went through something similar.

Knubs
2008-11-25, 05:04 PM
Kavri

Nevermind trying to lay claim to the tower. It's not worth it.

"True, I did have a similar experience. I was hunting goblins and then yellow eyes and now I'm here...back home at my keep." Kavri smiles devilishly as he adds the last part, and anyone not too bent on keep control should be able to tell that it's a joke.

Awesomologist
2008-11-25, 05:04 PM
Sure he was rambling a bit, but given the situation Callos thought he deserved the chance to let his thoughts air out in the open. "Instead of taking offense though, why don't you share how you came here? I'll be happy to do the same but your story seems more interesting then ours."

Addis Qatur

"I meant no offense to you mage. You mistake my lack of knowledge for incredulity. Understandable considering you and yours recent stresses. I am not without my faults either of course." Addis folds his arms in front of him. As he speaks his hands occasionally move about, but he otherwise seems calm.
"Unlike you and your companions I believe I may have come here the old fashioned way... I walked here. Or at least I think I did. I was seeking shelter from a storm. Perhaps this storm, or another just like it, I don't know. A pair of eyes asked me about these towers and before I could answer I was turned to stone. I honestly cannot tell if I am at the same tower or even how much time has passed. Before I've had a chance to gather my senses, your lot have come up and laid some claims to these towers." Addis paces around and looks at the others who awoke inside the pavilion.
"I know no one else here, and those of you who appeared outside the pavilion all seem to have some sort of bond. Perhaps what you say is true mage. Perhaps not. Chances are however that the answers I seek are tied in with your and your friends." Addis looks out into the storm, "The Raven Queen will reveal to her servant when the time is right."

Erikkin
2008-11-25, 05:08 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn gestures at Davek and turns to Atoly. "See? Golden eyes! And I said that I owned one of the keeps, Callos said he owned the other one. We're not stone." Arrogant prick.

Cejer
2008-11-25, 05:11 PM
Atoly Magivol

A puzzled expression at Fizahn's quick words and Callos's strange explanation lasts for only a moment. The command of the blue-eyed ruffian causes predictable anger and shock to fill the youth's face.

"Common trash should know their place," he hissed. "You'll learn yours before tomorrow is done."

In his passion, he completely misses the gnomes last jab.

Koji
2008-11-25, 05:20 PM
Kazz

Relieved to hear that she's not the only fish out of water here, Kazz gives a slight nod. She turns to Elthan and says, "You seem to know something about me, and you do seem familiar. What's going on? My head feels...fuzzy."

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-25, 05:32 PM
Elthan

The sorcerer stands still for a moment on Callos' cantrips, quite recalling Callos did not have as much ease of magic before... Awakening from his trance, he gives Callos a nod. "Alright then." Pausing once more, he takes a depth breath and looks inward as he always had, and pulls out a thread of magic. Perhaps it was more difficult than he recalled, but it was still possible. He uses his mind to spin the thread around himself, drying his clothes slightly and leaving them with a brief and cozy warm feeling without moving as much as a finger. He did not have the reservoirs of magic that he had know, but realizes that he was not drained as much from the effort. "Maybe starting a fire won't be as difficult as speculated..."

---

Exiting the moderate comfort of the keep, the half-elf braves the cold, bitter rain and inexpertly tries to pull the nearest shrubbery right out of the ground. After a minute of being beaten by cold rain, he settles on a different tactic of stripping pieces of it off and making a bundle of sticks, which he carts back to the keep. Cold, sopping wet and shivering, he drops his bundle of sticks in a corner of the keep, sits down against a wall, and starts warming himself up again with his magic. "W-why did I agree to do that? I'm not heading back out in the cold again like that. Not without a Rashemii fur coat, a hot mug of something drinkable, and a spell that protects me from the rain..." He huddles himself together and starts to radiate a dim red field of light, emiting heat as he uses his magic once more to warm up.

---

Dry and somewhat warmer, Elthan stands over his pile of branches and begins to apply magical heat to the branches, hoping to dry them out fast enough that he can light fire to then. Why am I happy I can do this much? I could do this as a child. Can I do yet more? I'm certain a missile wouldn't be outside my reach but... I will find out later.

OOC:
Rampant use of prestidigitation, my new best friend. Don't know why I didn't use it more in 3.5. Maybe 'cause now I get unlimited usage? :smallbiggrin: It can clean clothes (in this case, dry), light small campfires (hooray!), and make the gnomes taste better when we resort to caniballism :smallwink:

So yeah, Elthan is busy with this stuff for like, seven minutes... Once the sticks dry, he's setting them on fire.

Awesomologist
2008-11-25, 05:41 PM
I just remembered we have skills to help with some confusion:
[roll0] to see if Addis can recognize this pavilion as the same shelter he sought before. And perhaps tell how much time has passed if that is possible.

Dr._Bob
2008-11-25, 06:11 PM
Darros' eyes flash subtly as he inspects the heavy double doors. They seem mundane, though quite heavy and solid.

Addis glances back down the mountainside before entering the structure. The geography is unfamiliar. He is sure that he had not climbed this high before entering the pavilion before. The season appears to be wrong as well. He wrinkles his brow in puzzlement.

Elthan drags a couple of soggy shrubs from outside and starts trying to build a fire. His spells create some general warmth, but he succeeds only in lightly braising the gnarled plants, creating a small amount of damp, aromatic smoke.

Callos is slightly more successful, warming a trio of stones that serve to return some feeling to your chilled fingertips as you pass them around. The disembodied skeletal hand helpfully holds up a fourth stone, imbued with light.

Mazom, smiling, pulls a sunrod from his pack. You can't help wondering why one of his teeth is capped in silver.

With the gallery illuminated, you get a better look at each other as well as your surroundings.

The entrance hall is probably at least 150' wide and 50' deep. Thick stone pillars stand 20' apart, supporting a coffered ceiling that soars 30' feet over your heads. Three sets of double doors line the wall opposite from the two sets that serve as an entrance from the outdoor pavilion.

The doors to the left are flanked by a pair of stone hippogriffs.

A balcony overhangs the doors to the right. The balcony is supported by a pair of sculptures - two giant minotaurs supporting the balcony on their shoulders.

The central pair of doors is unadorned.

blackfox
2008-11-25, 11:12 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra abandons the rather fruitless search for firewood and warms her numbed hands on Callos's stone. To Callos, she says, "Do you think those statues would animate and try to murder me if I went and looked at the doors? The basilisk eyes have me worried."

Durendal
2008-11-25, 11:17 PM
Harsk

"Aye, I was minding my own business, wandering through this here forest, when the weather turned ugly. Found this place, and then bam, these eyes ask me a question and turn me to stone."

After offering his explanation to the crowd of bickering tall-folk, Harsk decides that he's better off staying out of their conversation. He instead turns his attention to the interior of the tower, trying to notice any hidden dangers or useful items.

Then noticing the half-elf's feeble attempts to start a fire, Harsk wanders over to offer his experience. "Foolish wand user wouldn't know a dry piece of wood if it hit him in the face" he mumbles to himself. "Need some assistance?"

Perception[roll0]
Nature[roll1] if Harsk can get a fire going he'll collect some rain water and set a pot of tea boiling.

shaddy_24
2008-11-25, 11:23 PM
Evendur

The paladin hesitates at the entrance to the keep, but since everyone else seems happy outside, he moves back. He moves around as much as possible, keeping busy gathering as much wood as possible, helping start a fire, stay near Ginevra in case something goes wrong, etc. But there's only so much to do, and eventually he has to sit down. As soon as he does, the loss crushes over him again. He kneels and prays, searching for Sune's presence.

Tanaar
2008-11-25, 11:36 PM
Darros

"No need to worry about them, miss. I detect no magic imbuing them," Darros says to Ginevra.

Peering around the hall with his enhanced gaze, he examines the statues. "As for me, I was simply wandering, enjoying a storm nearly as impressive as this one. I was looking for shelter as it got worse, and was confronted by the same golden eyes in a similar manner."

Dr._Bob
2008-11-25, 11:38 PM
Evendur gathers more damp scrub brush, while Harsk helps Elthan try to start a fire. There are no trees this high up on the mountain, and thus no sizable pieces of wood to be found nearby, but eventually there are enough scraggly twigs assembled to create a small pile. Elthan meticulously dries each twig, while Harsk arranges them strategically into a small cone.

The tiny flame that eventually catches is underwhelming, but it is better than nothing, and the combined success of Elthan's prestidigitation, Evendur's scavanging, and Harsk's surprising familiarity with wilderness survival feels like a small victory.

The small fire sheds little light and less heat, but one by one people begin to gather in a circle, perhaps more for psychological than physical comfort.

Once the fire begins to burn, Evendur separates himself from the main group. He kneels in the center of the gallery and prays fervently, as only paladins can. Sune ... Lady Firehair ... why have you abandoned me?

The dwarf produces a pot from somewhere and, after filling it with rain water, he busies himself brewing a pot of tea ...

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-25, 11:56 PM
Callos

Callos hung at the very edges of the fire, unwilling to draw closer but not daring to travel further afield on his own either.

"..I think I can guess about what happened to you lot." He says abruptly, directing his gaze to those who had already been waiting in the pavilion when he and his comrades had arrived. "I think the basilisk statue outside those doors is a security system..if you aren't the one of the owners or accompanied by them then it petrifies you in place only to be released when one of the owner's returns. Probably so they can deal with any intruders. It'd explain why each of you was asked who the owner was then got turned to stone."

At that his eyes shifted over to Ginerva and he gives a frosty smile, "And with such a potent door guardian..well..I doubt those doors will be guarded as well but just in case wait for Fizahn and I before even approaching them, alright?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-11-26, 12:13 AM
Patash (Dragon Cleric)

Patash nods as Ginevra thanks him. He listens to each story while he fruitlessly searches for firewood. Once he is convinced there is nothing to gather he returns and tells his story.

I was caught outside late at night in the middle of a freak thunderstorm, when I spotted a castle rising from a cleft in the hills. Hoping to shelter from the storm, I climbed to this colonnaded keep or temple. There were figures beneth the columns which did not move as I entered. Suddenly, a pair of pale golden eyes catches the light from a lightning flash and I hear a question "To whom do the two keeps belong?" BEfore I could respond the eyes flashed brightly, and I remember no more until we all awoke. One thing I know is this is not the same area where I first saw the castle. Patash says in an oddly accented common.

"Callos you may be right, but I never got any where near the doors" Patash responds to Callos' idea as he move over to Callos and Ginevra.

Erikkin
2008-11-26, 12:13 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at Callos. "Yes..." He pauses. "Why? What's so special about us that our castles have such a potent security? Why are they unstoned as soon as we arrive? Wouldn't it be better security to let us decide if they're worthy of not being a lawn ornament? Why aren't we dead yet? I remember the pain." Fizahn shudders as he thinks of the blinding light that tore him apart. "Well, whatever the case may be, one of these towers is mine. I'm going to wait the storm out in it, although I would have much preferred a castle near a forest with some decent firewood." Fizahn goes to the tower that he feels suits him more, and begins exploring it.

Dr._Bob
2008-11-26, 12:18 AM
Fizahn takes several steps before turning to ask, "So which way is it exactly to the towers?"

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-26, 12:30 AM
Callos

The lanky older human shrugs a bit helplessly, still looking about though most of his attention seemed to be fully focused on the three doors at the far end of the gallery.

"Why do we deserve it? I have no idea. Why did they un-freeze once we got here? Likely because the trap is made to do so, figuring that upon our arrival we'd want to deal with any interlopers right away." Rising though he followed after the gnome but also abruptly bypassed him and headed towards the door flanked by the giant minotaur statues. "Fizahn..would you like to do the honors?" He says with mock formality, waiting for the gnome to see if the door was trapped before moving to push the door open.

"Just so you know, if these leads to a tower then you can have the other. I hate hippogriffs. Dirty nasty things."

Erikkin
2008-11-26, 08:03 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn smiles at Callos and moves toward the door. "What's wrong with hippogriphs?" He asks before he begins inspecting the door for traps. There haven't been any traps so far, but that doesn't mean there won't be. Of course, the traps are usually on the front door, and it they're really our towers that we're going to, would they want to keep us from getting there?

OOC: [roll0]
Stupid wisdom. Why is searching for traps not still INT based. I've got more INT now.

blackfox
2008-11-26, 12:01 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra shrugs and says, "Yeah, that makes sense, I bet it was the basilisk statue... because don't basilisks turn people to stone when you look in their eyes? Or am I thinking of something else?"

She follows Fizahn and Callos over to the minotaur door, and is about to start searching for traps when she realizes something. "Hey, Callos. Elthan. Patash said this is a different pavilion... this sounds just a little too much like the teleporting towers to me. Does anyone remember if there was a hippogryph or a minotaur platform in those?"

((OOC: 13 INT + 10 WIS = jumping to conclusions. So much fun. :smalltongue:))
[roll0]

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-26, 12:15 PM
Elthan

Elthan sits down by the fire and stares with a wanting gaze as a pot is placed over the fire with obvious intent. "I should hope," he begins with some treacherous intent lying beneath his tone, "that should you be making tea, that you will share?" He unravels a slow, toying grin towards the dwarf which fades in menace to a soft smile.

Settling that the tea won't be ready in any time soon, he follows the small collection of his companions over to the minotaur doors. "You are right Ginerva. There was a hippogryph platform, as well a minotuar, a beholder, a snake, and at least a few others. I would say that despite the similar symbolism of creatures, it would be a strain to suppose that this keep is at all similar to the towers we had visited. Those were powered by shadow magic, and I sense none of it here. That itself I should add is my current evidence that we are no longer on Toril."

Koji
2008-11-26, 01:13 PM
Kazz

Kazz graciously accepts the warm stone, and clasps it tight until the shivering in her hands has stopped. She passes it along, looking less and less like a wet cat as the fire gets going and the mood among the group settles from outright hostility to dim curiosity.

They seem to think they know me, but I don't remember much about any of them, she says to herself. Where is Khazrael? What in the nine hells am I doing with these people?

"What do we do if someone is waiting for us behind that door?" She asks.

Nahal
2008-11-26, 01:49 PM
We'll deal with that if it becomes an issue, Davek replies to Kazz. Though if Callos is correct (which I'm guessing he is) the two of them (gesturing to Fizahn and Callos) should be able to command any security measures to let the rest of us through. Unless, of course, they're more inclined to let us wait out the night with the roaring bonfire we have going here, he adds with no small amount of sarcasm. I'm also rather curious as to what's behind those central doors, if the twin keeps are through the ones with statues.

Koji
2008-11-26, 01:59 PM
Kazz

She gives the indicated pair an appraising look, and sighs. "Those two are neither wide nor tall enough to get between us and whatever's opposite those doors. Wouldn't it be smarter to head for the village and come back in the morning? No offense, gentlemen, but I am in no way convinced that any of this belongs to either of you."

Naleh
2008-11-26, 02:13 PM
Retay

"No," replies Retay suddenly, "it wouldn't. It's a long way down to that village. Terrain like that, in the dark, is too dangerous. And there's the weather - cold, wet - and with a bit of bad luck, fatal.

"We can go further inside, or we can stay here," he concludes with a definite tone. "But we can't risk leaving."

Nahal
2008-11-26, 02:27 PM
Davek nods. I agree. No offense m'lady, but that's definitely not the kind of storm you venture out into with nothing but a cloak and a smile to keep the cold off. This room isn't much better either. In my opinion our question is which of the doors we're going through, or whether we're splitting up.

Knubs
2008-11-26, 03:02 PM
Kavri

"One door or the other, it really doesn't matter to me. Probably the one the gnome claimed would be more fun to trespass on. Time to get out of the cold though. That's for certain." Kavri walks towards the keeps stopping behind Callos and Fizahn, waiting for them to make some sort of decision.

Frojoe21
2008-11-26, 03:03 PM
Aeroz

"Splitting up tends to be more trouble than it's worth. Especially now that the majority of us are unarmed and unfamiliar to this place, its best if we all stay together. Who knows. The deck of cards may have swanked out both of your respective towers...." Aeroz states impatiently.

Dr._Bob
2008-11-26, 04:01 PM
Fizahn quickly strides from doorway to doorway. None of the three pairs of doors appear to be locked or trapped. But as he runs his hands over the seams of the doors, he does note subtle differences.

Cold air leaks through the cracks between the "hippogriff" doors.

A very faint hint of light, perceptible to Fizahn's keen eyes, but likely not visible to any of his human companions, outlines the pair of central, unadorned, doors.

When he places one ear (which he notes seem to be slightly more pointed than it ought to be) against the "minotaur" doors, he can hear a very faint rumbling, low and almost inaudible.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-26, 05:26 PM
Elthan

Elthan stands back, correcting his simple black hair with one hand as he waits. "If you're really all that eager to explore, just remember it's your place, so we'll be going gnome and necromancer first into any danger that might be around."

kuja.girl
2008-11-26, 09:28 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel follows the group numbly into the chamber. Since Fizahn, no one has said a word to her and she keeps her silence. As Elthan starts to light a fire Tiriel realizes that she's cold. Not just a little cold either, but really cold. Which is very odd. She'd gone through all of the northern mountains feeling fine and now after just standing in the rain for a few moments she's freezing.
I can't fly and now I can't even keep warm, she thinks bitterly to herself, I don't know what happened, I guess I should be glad that I'm alive but... Who, and what, am I now?

Instinctively Tiriel mores closer to the feeble fire but she soon finds her attention drawn toward one of the large doors across the room. To see Elthan, Fizahn and Callos all doing something by the door makes her uneasy, and despite the cold she walks toward them.

Erikkin
2008-11-26, 09:40 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn steps back and looks at the three doors together. I don't think we want it to get colder. Rumbling's usually a sound of running water. If there's better light, it might mean a fire. "No traps on any of them. The best ones to go through would be the central doors, in my opinion. If anyone wants to argue with me, go right ahead." Fizahn waits for anyone else to offer an opinion before going and opening the unadorned central doors.

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-11-26, 11:07 PM
Patash; Dragonborn Cleric

Patash gathers with the others at the door. "Fizahn, I am in no mood to argue with anyone. The center doors are a good way to start." he replies.

Patash positions himself to support who ever opens the door.

Zid
2008-11-27, 08:33 AM
Mazom

Coming in from the cold snow-mixed rain, Mazom hold up the sunrod high, obviously impressed with the surroundings.

"This place is definately well built." Turning to Fizhan, he makes an inviting gesture. "By all means, open the doors. As I understand it, you are the owner anyway. Iīm just lucky that Iīm not still a garden ornament."

Nahal
2008-11-27, 01:04 PM
Davek

I'll second that! Anything else we need to do before moving on? Davek moves towards the central door but doesn't go through, instead waiting for the rest of the group (or at least Callos and/or Fizahn).

Tanaar
2008-11-27, 02:19 PM
Darros

Darros moves cautiously in through the open doors, keeping to the wall. Calling Light to his orb, he holds it high, shedding illumination as far as he can, a spell ready on his lips.

Koji
2008-11-27, 05:16 PM
Kazz

Kazz runs a hand through her hair and discovers for the first time that there are more feathers in it. She gives one an experimental tug and it comes free. She winces, and stares at it with disbelief, completely unused to the idea of feathers actually growing from her head.

She wonders briefly what she looks like, suddenly coming to the uncomfortable realization that she has never seen herself in a mirror.

Dr._Bob
2008-11-27, 10:01 PM
The doors open into a long room, 120' long and roughly 40' wide. The ceiling here is probably 10' high, but compared to the airy entrance hall, the room seems much more intimate.

A table stands next to the doors, its surface covered with dozens of small votive candles. The candles flicker randomly, but do not seem to be affected by the stirring of the air caused by the opening of the doors. When you place your hand above the candles, you find that the candles produce no heat.

Fourteen alcoves, seven to the right and seven to the left, line the walls of the chamber. Set into each alcove is a rough hewn block of stone. Each block has a different engraving.

Along the left wall, the blocks are engraved with (from the front of the room to the back) a sun, a sword with its point upraised, a diamond-shaped shield, a star, a castle, a tree, and the skull of a bird.

Along the right wall, the blocks are engraved with (from the front of the room to the back) a moon, a sword with its point downward, a dragon skull, a spider, a fist, a serpent, and a shattered skull.

At the far end of the gallery is another set of double doors.

Tanaar
2008-11-27, 10:10 PM
Darros

Walking forward slowly, Darros examines the first pair of blocks, gazing at them with eyes enhanced by his arcane sight.

Arcana checks for Detect Magic: [roll0] [roll1]

Awesomologist
2008-11-27, 11:50 PM
Addis Qatur

Addis follows the others through the doorway. Seeing the symbols above the doors the elf takes a moment to look them over carefully.

Checking to see if any of the symbols may be affiliated with gods or holy symbols. And perception check to make sure we're not missing anything. If any one else wants to do a perception don't forget elves grant others in their party a +1.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Edit: Hmmm... Can we take 10? 20?

Erikkin
2008-11-28, 12:58 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn gives a cursory glance at the blocks, and decides to ignore them. He walks over to the table and frowns at it. "And here I expected them to have dinner all set out for us. What a shame." He then walks to the next set of double doors and begins inspecting them for traps.

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-11-28, 01:26 AM
Patash; Dragonborn Cleric

Patash attempts to take one of the candles and examines each of the alcoves, paying particular attention to the block with the dragon skull. Could this be a symbol of Bahamut? he thinks to himself.

After inspecting each of the alcoves, Patash asks "Does anyone recognize any of these symbols?"

Patash searches each alcove and attempts to determine if the symbols represent holy symbols of a diety.

Perception Check [roll0]
Religion Check [roll1]

Zid
2008-11-28, 07:52 AM
Mazom

Mazom inspects the different symbols, scratching his head.

"I wonder what the different symbols could mean. The holy symbol of Pelor is a sun, and the moon is obviously the opposite or counterpart of the sun. Could it be the representation of several different gods and the evil dieties that oppose them? Corellon, Lolth, the Raven Queen, Tiamat?"

The paladin snaps open the buckle that holds his sword thightly fastened in his scabbard with one hand.

Nahal
2008-11-28, 12:01 PM
Davek

Following the group into the gallery, Davek is perplexed by the symbols at first, attempting to recall their significance until Mazom points it out for him.
Untrained Religion check to recognize the symbols: [roll0]

These do seem like holy symbols, though I couldn't tell you much about the pattern. Could be that they're set up in opposition pairs as you guessed, he says to Mazom, But you may know more about this sort of thing than I. I've only managed to pick up snatches here and there. If you're correct and there are symbols of both good and evil deities here, I might take that sword of yours all the way out of its scabbard. Could mean nothing, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am when whoever built this place felt they could insult these gods by putting their symbols so near those of their sworn enemies.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-28, 12:12 PM
Elthan

Elthan swipes up a candle and takes it with him, still thinking in terms that his could 'use up' his store of light generating magic. At the very least, it was more dignified then carrying around a glowing rock. He wanders aimlessly down the hall, simply taking in the simple rather than identifying them. "Careful not to touch; You might end up on a different continent.", he remarks, not quite believing that such would happen, but keeping it within a realm of possibility. After a moment of silence, he adds, "So who's this Pelor? I've never heard of him. And to whom does the title 'Raven Queen' belong to?"

Koji
2008-11-28, 01:08 PM
Kazz

Religion of any sort is a mystery to her, so Kazz does not venture far past the doors for fear of doing anything unwise.

She catches sight of Tiriel, recognizing faintly the woman's face, and her mind struggles through stress and confusion to get any more information than that. What she knows feels detached and unreal, as though she had read about these people in a book long ago.

"Nice to see someone else feeling as uneasy as I am," says Kazz, "Are you alright?"

Cejer
2008-11-28, 01:12 PM
Atoly Magivol

Stepping into the gallery, Atoly makes his way down the left wall. He stops for a brief moment before the upturned sword and the diamond shaped shield. He then continues on to the castle and examining it more closely.

How detailed is the castle carving? Does it look like it might be an actual castle somewhere?

Zid
2008-11-28, 01:41 PM
Mazom

Mazom stares at Elthan, as if Elthan just had asked wheater horses have hooves.

"You truly are from far away. Pelor is worshipped as the God of Sun, mostly by peasants and farmers. Truly dull by any standards, if you ask me. Hard work, toil and so on. The Raven Queen is the queen of death. Her priests are even more depressing than the Pelorites. I have never talked to a one of them for longer than a minute before they bring up death. 'Do you know of the inevitability of death', they ask. Well, we all know that, but there is no need in thinking of it all the time, every hour and minute."

Mazom straightens his back. "Myself, I follow Avandra. Now thereīs a God for you. She doesnīt really bother herself with what you do or eat as all the other Gods do. She only wants you to push your borders a bit, take your destiny in your own hands, you know? But when you need Her, Sheīs always there to help out. Remind me to tell you the story of the Baron of Forskyls stolen horse when we have the time."

Mazom takes up a symbol hanging from around his neck. It displays three waves above each other. "This is the symbol of Avandra. Sadly, I donīt see it here anyway. Maybe my hunch is wrong. On the other hands, you wonīt find many Avandrite temples no matter how hard you look."

Mazom then studies the symbols more closely.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Naleh
2008-11-28, 02:25 PM
Retay

The barbarian snorts. "I've only met one queen in my life, and she certainly was a queen of death -- the death of her own servants. She was rather more interested in snakes than ravens, though."

He stalks forward, glancing between the symbols with no understanding, to join Fizahn at the next door. He keeps reaching over his shoulder for the handle of his axe, which, of course, is not there.

shaddy_24
2008-11-28, 03:04 PM
Evendur

The paladin looks up from his prayers, confusion on his face. He still felt some power deep within, but no connection to Sune.

Seeing the others moving through the doors, he jumps to his feet, hurrying after them. He catches Mazom's talk on gods and turns to him quickly. "I have never heard of those gods. I am a paladin of Sune, though I cannot feel her presence." He glances around the room uncomfortably. "I'm not sure, but I think I can still feel some remenent of her power."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Awesomologist
2008-11-28, 03:22 PM
Addis Qatur

Addis chuckles to himself as Mazom describes the servants of Pelor. However when he continues on about the Raven Queen Addis stops and observes the Avandrite.
Addis looks at Elthan, wishing to correct whatever forming thoughts he may have about the Queen of the Dead, "Perhaps if you wanted to know more about the Raven Queen, it would be best to ask one of her servants." Addis gently taps the jet black feather on his chest.
"Regardless of what god or goddess you serve, we must all hold court in Letherna and be judged by the Raven Queen before our spirits move on." Addis looks around the room at the various doors continuing to speak, "We who follow the Raven Queen do concern ourselves with matters of death, but we are also redeemers of life. It is all part of the cycle. We are also commanded to seek out restless spirits that cling to world of the living and send them to Letherna, as well as putting an end to the abomination that is undeath and those who practice the necromantic arts."
Addis points to the symbol of the broken skull, "While these may not be symbols of the gods, the cracked skull is often used by servants of Vecna, one of my goddess' enemies, and therefore one of mine."

Naleh
2008-11-28, 03:36 PM
Retay

The barbarian looks up at the end of Addis' explanation, respect gradually forming in his mind.

Then he turns his quiet gaze on Elthan and Callos, to see how they respond.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-11-28, 04:43 PM
Elthan

Elthan takes in the two wise-mens words with a puzzle-glance, as if trying to determine if they were making some part of it up, or perhaps was already settled on the thought. He certainly didn't care for their elaborations on faith, but found it none-the-less odd and curious. "Now, I've never liked religion in the least, but I do recall that the Sun was the domian of Lathander, who had himself a number of brightly decorated temples around. Now about death I again have never heard the words Raven and Queen in the same sentence until now. As I know, the god of Death is Kelemvor, a typically described kind and earnest fellow who likes to wear black robes. The plane mortals were judged on after life was called 'The Fugue', were if you didn't really believe in the gods then you'd be shoved into the wall that surrounded the city of the dead with all the other disbelieving souls to be tormented for eternity by marauding demons."

The half-elf stops a moment to watch the expressions on the two. Even he found the last thought bizarre, despite it being a constant cosmological truth. Catching his breath, he begins again. "Now, what bothers me isn't that we have different views on what deities exist. No, after feeling a disconnection from the Weave, I was quite expecting it. What troubles me is that we have similarities. Corellon is the god of the elves, master of nature and arts of all kinds; Tiamat is lord of the dragons with five heads on his body, each a different color representing his domination of each breed; Lolth is the Spider Queen, ruler of the underdark and Matriarch of the dark-elves. I have no doubt we will agree that those descriptions are true. This is troublesome, because with this evidence it is hard to tell if we are on some alien world, in another plane of mortals, or merely somewhere else on Toril in strange circumstances."

Tanaar
2008-11-28, 05:38 PM
Darros

Darros perks up at the mentions of his lord, Corellon. "The god Corellon is present in this place as well. I feel his presence in the weave of magic, and every spell I cast. I know Corellon as the creator of all the races of elvenkind, and the patron of all magic. Here he also guides those of the arts, and sometimes those of nature revere him as well. I am an acolyte in his Order, paying homage through my arcane arts."

Dr._Bob
2008-11-28, 06:12 PM
Each block of stone sits nestled within its own alcove, forming a small shrine of sorts.

The symbols are ancient and unfamiliar. But when you take some time to examine the shrines closely, some connections are made ...

Darros recognizes the star as an archaic symbol of Corellon. Its position opposite the alcove containing the spider stone suggests his god's antagonism with Lolth.

Addis rubs his raven feather as he approaches the stone marked with the raven's skull which no doubt represents the Raven Queen.

Patash is repelled by the dragon skull shrine, finding himself drawn instead to the shield of Bahamut.

Atoly kneels down by the block inscribed with the castle symbol. The castle is generic, depicting a portcullised gate flanked by two crenellated towers. He is strangely comforted by this symbol of order and law.

Some of the other alcoves are identified as well, including the broken skull of Vecna and the sun of Pelor.

Fizahn ignored the shrines for the most part, and Mazon is disappointed not to find a shrine dedicated to Avandra, goddess of luck and change.

The doors at the far end of the gallery are again unlocked and untrapped. Splashing water can be heard from behind the doors ...

kuja.girl
2008-11-28, 07:44 PM
Tiriel

"I... I'm not hurt. But I remember dying and now I'm alive but not... not the same. I wish this was a joke but I don't think it is."
Tiriel looks at the woman with the feathers in her hair and frowns.
"Who on earth are you? You look like Kahzael but you don't act like him and you're... Well, you're female."

Tiriel feels a bit better at the thought that someone else might be just as messed up as she is. But guilty too. She'd liked Khaz and she hopes that this woman knows what happened to him.

The symbols engraved on the stones mean nothing to her. Many are generic enough to mean almost anything the viewer might wish and the others are just decorations, though rather odd.

Cejer
2008-11-28, 08:37 PM
Atoly Magivol

As the others discuss the merits of their faith, Atoly remains kneeling before the shrine. A soft snort and a quiet mumble escape his lips, "You may pray to your false gods if you wish."

Tracing the right tower with his hand, he voices his thoughts aloud. "This is what I revere. The strength of mortared stone, ambition, and forged steel together forming the seats of law and order. Civilization spreads from these works of man and dwarf. Armies march as the edges of the map are filled in and the monsters slain. The future will be a more civilized age, cities and castles ruled by the just. All of it without the need of powerless gods."

Placing his palm flat against the center of the image, Atoly then stands and walks to observe the irritable gnome's progress with the next set of doors.

Knubs
2008-11-28, 09:06 PM
Kavri: Blond, blue-eyed elf

Kavri looks around taking in the scenery, but Gods have never really mattered much to him. He laughs internally as various talks of piety arise from the group. He wonders briefly how well his supposed dual worship of Avandra and Melora would be received, but then he goes back to the more important matters. I'm still cold. I don't want to be cold. He opens the doors at the far end of the gallery, proceeding onward.

Frojoe21
2008-11-29, 03:17 AM
Aeroz

Aeroz sneers at Atoly's statement.

"Well, I know for sure that my god is real and definitely not powerless. After the stern talking to he gave me, as well as booting me out of my afterlife. And if Corellon has influence here then...I don't know."

Turning his attention to Tiriel's point, he gawks at Khazz.

"And Khazrael...why are you a woman?"

Durendal
2008-11-29, 07:47 AM
Harsk

Harsk waits patiently for his tea to finish, then offers some to anyone still waiting by the meager fire. The strong tea warms his heart and chases away the clinging cold of the precipitous night. He feels new energy fill his mind and seap into his limbs. He savors the tea slowly, taking little heed of the happenings at the other end of the hall. When he finally finishes, he notices that the minotaur flanked doors have been opened and some of the others have wandered in. Not wanting to be left behind, he slinks off into the shadows of the large hall towards the candle lit room. He catches only the last of the proselytizing as he enters, hardly noticing Moradin's absence among the fourteen symbols.

"Stop yer sqwaking ya zealotous lot. I don't wanna end up collecting pidgeon dung again cause ye couldn't hold yer tongues. Last time something here took notice of our presence wasn't pleasant."

That said he makes his way to the far end of the room and waits for the two so called owners of the towers to decide what to do next.

Dr._Bob
2008-11-29, 11:46 AM
Kavri pushes past Fizahn and pulls open the doors at the far end of the hall. The half-elf shivers as a cold wind drives freezing rain into the doorway.

The doorway opens into a courtyard roughly 75' wide and 50' deep. A fountain stands in the center of the courtyard. A rough hewn stone block stands at the base of the fountain, surrounded by a pool of water. The block resembles the small altars within the long gallery, but it has no inscription.

Single doors exit the courtyard to the right and to the left. Another pair of double doors exits from the far side of the courtyard.

Koji
2008-11-29, 03:44 PM
Kazz

Kazz directs a helpless look first to Tiriel, then to Aeroz, whose question heaps more emphasis on the confusion.

"I don't know who I am. I remember Khazrael a little bit, but I don't think we're the same person. Who is he, what was he doing with you all?"

She sighs, "I have no idea what happened. Other than a few memories of him, and some faint ones about some of you, I can't recall anything before I waking up just now."

The wave of cold from the newly-opened door sets her to shivering again.

kuja.girl
2008-11-29, 07:55 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel stares at Kazz. "But that that doesn't..." well dying and coming back to life doesn't make much sense either. "I don't understand anything anymore." She grumbles the sudden wind sending her her blond hair whipping around her face.

"Khazrael was helping us. We got in a lot of bad situations near the end but he always did his best to help. In the end I don't even know if we did the right thing, but at least we tried. He was something of a friend, and I hope he's okay."

blackfox
2008-11-29, 10:27 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra walks to the right side of the room and traces the moon symbol in the first alcove with her finger. She listens to her friends' conversations, and shivers as the rush of cold air washes over her.

"Hey, Darros... Or Harsk, or Patash. Whoever knows this. To which god does this symbol belong?"

She turns towards the room again, glancing at the open door to the courtyard.

Knubs
2008-11-29, 10:54 PM
Kavri: Blond Elf

Kavri frowns. The freezing rain was not exactly what he had in mind. Dash through the courtyard hoping there's warmth on the other side or stay here in definite cold? Heat anywhere is unlikely... Kavri shuts the door, not sure what to do next. He leans beside the door, watching the others.

Cejer
2008-11-29, 11:20 PM
Atoly Magivol

Facing Aeroz with mild embarrassment Atoly speaks. "You have good ears but poor understanding. As I said you are free to worship whatever you choose to, but do not count me among any of the faithful. The day gods cease demanding obedience and begin to do things themselves is the day I'll convert. Until then I serve only my liege and myself."

Watching Kavri's retreat from the rain, the noble remarks dryly, "Clearly this isn't the best path to search. Perhaps the other rooms will provide something useful." The noble waits for a brief moment before heading back to the door into the gallery.

Tanaar
2008-11-29, 11:57 PM
Darros

Darros walks away from the rude shrine to Corellon, murmuring. He honors his god through every spell he casts, mundane prayers merely supplement this greater devotion. Glancing to the side, he tells Ginerva the name of Sehanine, goddess of the moon, trickery, illusion, and love. Walking next to Atoly, he gives the human a long, hard look. "Baron, I would not label you faithless. Though you may not know his name, your dedication to the ideals of law and order are like to those of the god Erathis, he who advances the banner of civilization in the world. As for obedience to his or any other deity's whim...it seems to me that you already honor his commandments with your singular loyalty. That castle is sometimes one of his symbols...I am not surprised you were drawn to it."

Nahal
2008-11-30, 02:55 PM
Davek

Keeping silent through most of the conversation on religion, when Anatoly suggests heading back to one of the other rooms Davek agrees. I'd rather continue to look around indoors than expose ourselves to such lovely weather as what we have outside. Why don't we see what the other two doorways have to offer? Just before attempting to leave, Davek pauses and for a moment appears to be deep in thought. You've been puzzled by the existence of some of these deities within each of your realms, and you seem to assume that Corellon has a twin on Toril. I on the other hand wonder if these gods don't simply preside over multiple realities. What we take to be distinct and separate realms may be less so for them, enough that they can manifest their powers in more than one world. Just a thought. He then appears a little disturbed for a moment, then continues. Also, plucking us from our own realities and depositing us here must have required considerable amounts of magic. I wonder who or what could bring that much power to bear, and more to the point, if anyone else has been brought here in a similar fashion before we were. But that's not a question we're likely to answer soon. Shall we head back and continue our exploration?

Koji
2008-11-30, 03:16 PM
Kazz

"I hope so too," she replies. "Maybe when we find him he can explain things for us."

As Kavri begins to close the door, Kazz glances over at him and holds up a hand. "Before you do that," she says, "Someone should take a look at that fountain. Maybe its former owners left us a clue as to the function of this place."

Her posture and tone suggest in no subtle fashion that she will not be the one venturing into the cold.

Erikkin
2008-11-30, 05:11 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn sighs and shakes his head as everyone starts talking about Gods. Deities. They change so rapidly, why even bother keeping track? They don't even help. Why do people believe that they're so awesome? All their in-fighting and squabbling. Not worth anything. His train of thought is interrupted when Kazz says someone should examine the fountain. "And you're not willing to examine it yourself? I guess that means it's up to the gnome to go out in the pelting rain. Lovely." Fizahn reopens the door that Kavri had just closed and walks out to the fountain. "Don't know what person would leave any type of clue at any fountain," he mutters as he searches the fountain. "Door better be open with some form of warmth waiting for me."

Zid
2008-11-30, 05:25 PM
Mazom

Mazom follows Fizhan out into the rain, holding up his sunrod and spreading light. He shudders slightly in the rain, but is dressed in a thick mantle as protection from the rain.

[roll0]

Dr._Bob
2008-11-30, 07:09 PM
Fizahn and Mazom brave the icy rain to examine the fountain in the middle of the courtyard.

Light reflects off of the fountain and the small pool of water surrounding the stone block. The rippling waves of light on the face of the block change ceaselessly.

A flash of lightning illuminates a small keep tucked into the mountainside. It lies beyond the doors on the other side of the courtyard. Thunder follows some seconds later. The storm seems to be moving farther away. The rain begins to thin ...

Callos_DeTerran
2008-12-01, 01:02 AM
Callos

When the others went into the central door he did not follow right away, lingering behind for a moment to look at the other two set of doors before following into the room that seemed to have many impromptu little shrines to various gods. Or at least thats what they appeared to be to him and he did know quite about religions. Or he thought he had, knowledge that was a bit shaken up considering that he recognized almost none of these symbols. That was why he remained silent as the others discussed who these gods apparently were, his gaze fixated on the shattered skull one.

Callos didn't recognize it, how could he? But it seemed familiar to those that also had a focus on death and perhaps thats why he felt a slight draw to it. All sorts of bad memories came with it...

And then the next thing he knew everybody was moving unto the next chamber to leave him standing alone, making him shake his head as if coming out of a stupor and turning about the other way. With a glance back at the others he retreated back to the gallery and turned to the minotaur doors once more. The noise suggested that something lay behind them, perhaps something worth investigating and that is why he tried to crack the door open wide enough to catch a peek inside.

Zid
2008-12-01, 09:38 AM
Mazom

Mazom turns to Fizhan. "Now, my gnome friend whose name I forgot, is that your keep? Do you wish to inspect it right now or continue to look around to see whats behind the other doors?"

Dr._Bob
2008-12-01, 11:30 AM
As Mazom and Fizahn stand in the rain, light glints off the bottom of the pool of water at the base of the fountain. A number of coins lies at the bottom, perhaps tossed there for good luck. Many of the coins are copper, but some are silver and a few are gold.

Most of the others remain in the hall of shrines. A few continue to huddle around the dwindling fire in the entrance hall.

Callos breaks off from the others and walks over towards the minotaur doors. Opening one a crack, he pokes his head in. The glowing stone hovering over his shoulder illuminates a narrow hallway that makes a sharp turn and disappears into the darkness.

Cejer
2008-12-01, 03:05 PM
Atoly Magivol

The youth faces Darros with a hint of a glare. "Sir, in all the discussion of religion I made but one request. And yet, mere moments after I utter it, you turn to me and ignore it. What happened to our agreement of civility? If you had the same poor manners as our other companions I would have to demand satisfaction for such an affront."

"However, I am at a disadvantage here. If you would tell me your title, putting us on even footing, then I would be persuaded to overlook your transgression."

Koji
2008-12-01, 04:15 PM
Kazz

Kazz gives Fizahn nothing more than a smile as he grudgingly volunteers himself to head outside. She watches him mutter as he goes, noting that despite all the fuss, he stepped up pretty quickly. Some part of him must have wanted to do it.

Her musing is interrupted by Callos, who stands at the periphery of the crowd and fiddles with the door. The haughty composure she had erected is shaken somewhat when she steps on a sharp bit of loose stone and gives an odd yelp, which is vaguely embarassing, but at least gets the wizard's attention.

"What do you see?" Kazz asks, rubbing the ball of her foot with one hand.

Dr._Bob
2008-12-01, 06:52 PM
Kazz pokes her head out of the gallery of shrines to see what Callos is up to. She sees him walk to the far end of the entrance hall and crack open one of the minotaur doors.

A soft sound makes her turn around. She catches a glimpse of the very human-looking half-elf ("Grynde") disappearing though the hippogriff doors. Something about the awkward way his arms flail as he vanishes causes her heart to skip a beat.

Callos leans back out of the minotaur doorway, "What did you say?" he asks.

The hippogriff doors stand open. You are pretty sure they were closed before.

OOC: Please try to keep track of where you are. Possible locations include: (1) standing by the small fire in the entrance hall, (2) in the hall of shrines, (3) in the fountain courtyard, or (4) by one of the doorways connecting these locations.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-12-01, 07:57 PM
Callos

The necromancer's head snapped around when Kazz lets out her yelp, hand raising instinctually in a gesture he had always used to launch a lightening bolt or something of the sort against an enemy, though nothing came of the motion. With a relieved sigh Callos lowered his arm and glances across the way to the hippogriff doors.

Those weren't open a moment ago.. Eyes narrow as he quietly pulls the minotaur door shut and steps away from it and stops so he'd be in plain view of the other hall in case something else happened. Why did he suddenly have a cold feeling in the pit of his stomach?

"Stay there and tell me what you saw." The gruff former-necromancer says sternly, eyes never wavering from the dark portal that had, unbeknownst to him, claimed Grynde. With a little exertion of his will he sends the skeletal hand forward with it's glowing rock, sending it into the darkened doorway while he kept his distance from the portal.

Cejer
2008-12-01, 08:40 PM
Atoly Magivol

Upon hearing Kazz's yelp of pain, Atoly whirls to face her with sword in hand. The sight of her hopping on her foot prompts him to roll his eyes while returning his weapon to its sheath.

OOC: Atoly is in the Hall of Shrines, standing near the door to the Entrance Hall. His hands are empty.

Erikkin
2008-12-01, 08:47 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn shrugs as Mazzom asks about the castle. "All I know is that I own one of the castles and Callos owns the other. We don't know which is which." His eyes linger for a second on the coins in the fountain, but he leaves them be. "Let's get back to the others. I don't know if you noticed, but I'm slightly unarmed right now." Fizahn walks back over to the door and opens it to get back to the main group. "Still cold and raining out there, for those of you who were wondering."

Awesomologist
2008-12-01, 10:37 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra walks to the right side of the room and traces the moon symbol in the first alcove with her finger. She listens to her friends' conversations, and shivers as the rush of cold air washes over her.

"Hey, Darros... Or Harsk, or Patash. Whoever knows this. To which god does this symbol belong?"

She turns towards the room again, glancing at the open door to the courtyard.

Addis Qatur

"If the other symbols here belong to the gods, I would wager that symbol belongs to Sehanine. In our world she is the goddess of the Moon, the Lady of Autumn breeze. She is also the goddess of trickery and illusion, which of course makes her the goddess of love." Addis chuckles at the last part before continuing, "Most importantly she is one of Corellon's sisters, and the patron of elvenkind... Forgive me. I could go on all evening, lecturing about the gods."

Forgive me if I've divulged too much information without a religion check. I figure the basics of cosmology and this worlds pantheon would be taught to any and all clerics. If nothing else an elf would about Sehanine, Corellon, and Lolth.

Tanaar
2008-12-01, 11:04 PM
Darros

"Apologies, Baron. I merely meant to comment on a fascinating discrepancy between your words and actions. As I knew a gentleman such as yourself would not knowingly misrepresent himself, I assumed Erathis was unknown to you. I shall not speak of it again in such context." Darros exhibits a small bow in Atoly's direction.

"As for my title, in my land nobles have no official title until they inherit. I am third in line to inherit the title Squire of Havath, a small county in the elven nation of Essasia. I have been away from home for a long time, and have not emphasized my birth while abroad."

With Atoly in the shrine hall

Dr._Bob
2008-12-01, 11:41 PM
Kazz can only point wordlessly toward the hippogriff statues flanking the double doors, which now stand ajar.

A few of you, noticing the fearful look on Kazz's face, return to the entrance hall, joining Callos who cautiously keeps his distance from the open doors.

The glowing stone hovers at the doorway, illuminating a 30' x 30' foyer.

"What happened?" someone asks.

Kazz points to the doorway with a trembling finger and whispers, "... Grynde ..."

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-12-02, 01:47 AM
Patash (Dragonborn, Cleric)[/COLOR]

Patash feeling the presenance of Bahamut spends some time lost in chanting softly to his patron in draconic, [COLOR="Red"]"Lord Bahahmut strengthen me that I may protect the weak, liberate the oppressed, and oppose the evil."

Kazz's yelp of pain breaks the trance Patash had fallen into, he readies his mace and heads towards Kazz to find out what is happening.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-12-02, 01:53 AM
Elthan

"Grynde what?", Elthan scoffs in the direction on the missing annoying one, "Did he happen to foolishly wander off and vanish?" Elthan takes a moment to count those among him, and the direction of Kazz's finger. He sneers in satisfaction, "Ah, so he has."

He takes a moment to consider the thought of having lost his, savoring the moment to not have to worry about the grating voice of the half-elf. He sighs, however, and slowly approached the foyer. "I would normally not care for the annoying one, but we could use as many sword-hands as we have if case of emergency."

Carefully, the half-elf peers his head into the doorway, eyeing for anything suspicious, and given no monsters or obvious dangers utters darkly into the room, "Grynde, get both your elven and human back-side with the group now or I swear I'll lop your head off!"

Naleh
2008-12-02, 03:57 AM
Retay

Retay moves with the crowd back into the entrance hall.

"Grynde?" he asks, confused. He turns to look at the door, and then back at Khazrael's (was it Khazrael?) expression. Eventually he puts two and two together, and gets roughly four.

The berserker moves quickly to the hippogriff doors, arriving just after the more cautious Elthan. He stares into the empty foyer.

"I taught him," he says suddenly. "I taught him the rage. If he's in danger I'm not leaving him." He gropes for the handle of his axe, which still isn't there, then with a shrug he steps forward into the room to begin his search.

Dr._Bob
2008-12-02, 08:00 AM
Retay steps into the dark 30' x 30' room. There is no sign of Grynde. Some leaves have blown into the far right corner of the room.

Stairs against the far wall climb up to the left. A cold draft blows down from the top of the stairs.

There is a dark opening under the stairs, leading to the left.

"More light!" Retay calls.

Zid
2008-12-02, 10:14 AM
Mazom

Mazom nods at Fizhans comment, and then points to the water. "If there is anything like a shrine to Avandra around here, this is likely it. She is the god of adventure and luck. As I am pledged to Her, it would be unwise of me to just walk away."

His free hand digs down into his pocket and comes up with a small gold coin, which he tosses into the water. "For good luck."

He follows Fizhan into the shrine-hall, but is interrupted by Retays scream, and hurries to the source of the sound with his sunrod.

blackfox
2008-12-02, 11:04 AM
Ginevra

"Sehanine... I'm pretty sure that where I came from, Sehanine was the elven goddess of archery." I think S'irene was a follower of Sehanine... Agh, I should be able to remember this.

She is distracted by the commotion in the foyer. "Oh no... This can't be good." She jogs out to the doors and pokes her head into the foyer. "What just happened?"

((OOC: Ginevra is currently standing in the central doorway.))

Tanaar
2008-12-02, 11:07 AM
Darros

Hearing his new companions' cries, the sun-haired eladrin finds something more urgent than Atoly's ruffled feathers. Sketching a quick half-bow to the noble, he dashes over to the commotion, calling greater Light to his orb. His free hand softly rumbles with concussive force as he wills a Force Orb into readiness.
As Darros is a storm-focused mage, all of his pertinent powers take on an aspect of natural fury. Until Complete Arcana Arcane Power is out in April(?), actual lightning, thunder, and cold powers are not always available or are not especially useful. So he makes use of a slightly broader range of elements with fluff. Force is akin to the concussive energy of thunder and lightning, acid to the scouring of torrential rain, etc. Unless Dr. B wants to, I'm not intending any mechanical difference to the powers. So Darros's Force Orb still won't benefit from the Raging Storm feat I'll probably be taking at second level, despite imitating thunder. Unless Dr. B wants to house-rule that it does :smallbiggrin:

Nahal
2008-12-02, 12:09 PM
Davek

Noticing the commotion, Davek moves to the hippogryph doors and sees the group is down a man. He moves into the doorway and enters the room behind Retay, keeping close to the walls and in the shadows if possible as he scans the foyer.

[roll0] Perception to look for any movement aside from Retay, followed by another perception [roll1] to look for any hidden trapdoors that Grynde could have disappeared into.

Whoever these keeps belong to, it's clear whoever made them wasn't too keen on visitors, Davek mutters to himself. Perhaps the "owners" should lead the way lest we run into any more security measures keyed to anyone who isn't them.

Cejer
2008-12-02, 01:51 PM
Atoly Magivol

The situation grows hectic as Atoly returns Darros's half bow. "Perhaps another time then."

Hustling into the foyer, he pushes his way close to the center of the room. Crossing his arms as the draft from above blows over him, he loudly echoes Ginevra's question. "What exactly has happened here?" His attention strays often from the stairs to the other searchers as he waits for a response.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-12-02, 01:56 PM
Elthan

I was certain that would draw him out..., Elthan ponders to himself, Perhaps there might be some real danger here. Quietly and cautiously, Elthan moves into the room, moving closer to the opening under the stairs until he is shining the light of his candle into the darkness, using his elven sight to see farther than it illuminates. With his free hand, he ushers Retay and Davek to stay close.

Elthan is still carrying the candle he grabbed from the earlier table, and has low-light vision if needed.

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-12-02, 02:00 PM
Patash (Dragonborn Cleric)

Patash arrives at the hippogryph doors as Davek enters and asks, "What has happened?" After listening to the confused explanations he follows Davek into the room. Moving to support the group around Elthan.

Awesomologist
2008-12-02, 02:29 PM
Addis Qatur

Addis follows the others toward the commotion, drawing his longbow. He enters the room but stays by the door, allowing others to take the lead.

Don't forget, anyone around me (within 5 squares or 25') gets a +1 to Perception!

Tanaar
2008-12-02, 03:12 PM
Darros

Darros steps into the hippogriff-guarded doorway, remaining on the threshold. Visually scouring the room, he draws his dagger, offering it around. "I noticed some of you are unarmed, without the look of spellcasters. This isn't much, but its better than nothing. Anyone else got a spare weapon to lend?"Perception [roll0](Includes bonus from Addis)

Koji
2008-12-02, 04:12 PM
Kazz

"He was just...I don't know, I think something pulled him in," breathes Kazz. She creeps forward, afraid for the first time she can remember, and tries to get a better look at the hippogriff door.

She takes a slow breath. Relax.

"Gather everyone together before we go any further. There is danger here, and it is not safe to be alone."

shaddy_24
2008-12-02, 04:27 PM
Evendur

The paladin rose from his prayers as news of Grynd's disappearance reached him. Moving quickly, he walked into the room, trying to ensure that any spellcasters were behind him to block any danger.

[roll0] counting Addis' bonus

kuja.girl
2008-12-02, 09:08 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel had stayed behind in the hall of shrines but removed from those discussing religion and titles. When she joins Fizahn and Mazom back into the main room.
The news of Grynde's mysterious vanishing act leaves her worried, though not for the half-elf. The fact that they find nothing in the next room worries her. Following the others into the hippogriff room, she is surprised to find herself having to stay near the entrance. Such darkness had never bothered her before, but now she found it impenetrable beyond a few feet from the light source. Yet another thing I have lost. she thinks bitterly to herself.

[ooc: yeah i know he's human now but I doubt Tiriel would have noticed]

Knubs
2008-12-02, 09:20 PM
Kavri

Kavri chuckles to himself as he watches everyone rush to Grynde's aid. Pious do-gooders everyone. Fantastic. With no small amount of lethargy, Kavri draws his bow and strolls over to the doorway, checking the expressions of everybody else. Genuine concern? Maybe, but whoever this Grynde person is, there probably isn't much we can do for him. Kavri sighs and peers through the doorway for a closer look.

Perception: [roll0] Includes +1

Dr._Bob
2008-12-02, 10:29 PM
The stairs appear to lead to a walkway on an upper level. The passageway below the stairs runs in the same direction.

Light floods the room from the lights carried by Darros and Mazom.

There is no sign of Grynde. The stone floor is scuffed, though it is hard to tell how old the marks are. Most of the scuff marks lead toward the passageway below the stairs.

There are two small drops of blood on the floor. One drop is found on one of the stairs.

Durendal
2008-12-03, 12:49 AM
Harsk

The dwarf hears the commotion and follows the others out of the shrine room towards the hippogriff doors. He draws his loaded crossbow as he moves towards the doors, expecting the worst has finally come. I really don't want to end up as a statue again...hopefully its nothing, but if its those eyes again, I'm getting out of here...let the owners deal with their pet.

"Stay together mates, an' if any of ye need a weapon, I'll lend ye me axe." An I'll kill ya if you lose it.

Frojoe21
2008-12-03, 03:07 AM
Aeroz

Aeroz takes the dagger from Darros. "Thanks...".

He steps warily towards the stairs with the spot of blood. "So..." Aeroz chuckles "who wants to go first?"

Zid
2008-12-03, 05:54 AM
Mazom

Mazom unsheats his sword, looking on the small drop of blood on the stairs.

"This is either a very obvious track, or a carefully set trap. Letīs find out what. Anybody care to hold the sunrod? That would free up my hand to use my shield"

Avandra, into the unknown with you at my side.

After the small party has readied itself, Mazom follows the stairs with his shield and sword ready and drawn, moving slowly and carefully forward.

Tanaar
2008-12-03, 11:36 AM
Darros

I'm no warrior...best to stay behind those who are. Stepping into the room, Darros tries to stay as close to the middle of the group as possible.

Taking the sunrod from Mazom, Darros dismisses the Light cantrip from his orb and re-casts it on the half-elf's shield. Briefly meeting the paladin's gaze, he nods and readies himself for anything, orb held ready.

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-12-03, 12:03 PM

Patash offers his sling to any who wish to use it. Then follows Mazom up the stairs with his mace readied.

Koji
2008-12-03, 03:38 PM
Kazz

The middle of the group, Kazz reasons, is a safer place to be than any of the edges. Let those who want to look brave take up the front, and those who just aren't thinking stand in the rear.

She strides forward, stoic, but slightly angry at being caught off her guard. Whoever is lurking in this ruin has a lot to answer for.

Erikkin
2008-12-03, 04:53 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn walks to the room where the commotion is taking place. "Grynde's missing? Shame that. Well, I'll just take the rear and make sure nothing comes at us from behind." The gnome takes the moves to the rear of the search party and keeps watch behind them.

shaddy_24
2008-12-03, 10:52 PM
Evendur

Evendur turns Harsk, "Thank you for the offer. I will take your weapon if no one else needs it right now." He moves to the entrance to the path beside the stairs and readies if case anything comes out.

blackfox
2008-12-03, 10:52 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra accepts the sling from Patash with a grim smile and a "Thanks." She sticks to the shadows beside the wall, making sure to keep behind Fizahn or Elthan as she approaches the open hippogryph doors.

Nahal
2008-12-03, 11:36 PM
Davek

OOC: What skill would be used to check how fresh the blood is, or need we even bother?

Anybody here much good at tracking? Davek asks. I've done a bit here and there but wouldn't exactly call myself an expert. Perhaps we'd best keep one of the owners near the front too, in case someone asks us what the bloody hells we're doing here.

Davek takes up a position towards the rear, keeping an eye out in case anything follows the group into the passage (assuming that's where we are headed). He silently curses the sunrod for a moment, knowing that it may give their position away more surely than any clumsy oaf in platemail even as he accepts that his eyes will need the light if anything does go wrong.

To Fizahn he says You happen to have any useful information about this keep of yours?

Awesomologist
2008-12-04, 12:48 AM
Addis Qatur

Addis bends down and pulls a curved dagger from his boot, "I have a dagger should anyone need it. I'm not very good with it anyways, I favor my faith in the Raven Queen and my bow."
Addis stays in the middle of the group in order to better assist those around him.

Durendal
2008-12-04, 03:28 AM
Harsk

After handing his battleaxe off to the kindly human, Harsk moves to the front of the group to inspect the drops of blood. He scans the area for any other clues to Grynde's disappearance, than focuses his efforts on the trail of blood. He digs deep into his mind for any inclining about what they are hunting...or being hunted by.

Perception[roll0]
Nature[roll1]
Dungeoneering[roll2]

Erikkin
2008-12-04, 08:22 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn takes the dagger from Addis. "Thanks. I'll be sure to get this back to you." He glances angrily at Davek as he asks him about the castles. "We've been over this. All I know is that one of them is mine and the other is Callos's."

Nahal
2008-12-04, 02:16 PM
Davek

Returning Fizahn's glare with a neutral smile, Davek responds I know, but there might have been something that escaped your memory earlier when you were made owners, or something familiar about the layout. Anyways, obviously there isn't, so it's moot.

OOC: I remember we went over this before, but Davek's not a trusting type. will keep such things to a minimum.

Naleh
2008-12-04, 02:44 PM
Retay

The barbarian pauses only briefly at the stairs. Blood is all the evidence he needs. Not bothering to ask for a weapon, he lopes up the stairs with the strange lizard-man and the man with the glowing shield.

Koji
2008-12-04, 02:48 PM
Kazz

Kazz keeps her breath steady and deliberate as the little crowd proceeds. Small steps, that's the key. For the first time in living memory, she has been made to feel afraid, but by what? With no past experiences to draw from, she has trouble imagining what might come next. What kind of person would want to hurt a total stranger? Grynde didn't have anything worth taking. Her mind swims dangerously close to a pit of terror.

Best not to dwell on it. Focus on the here and now. Step...by step...by step.

Knubs
2008-12-04, 04:20 PM
Kavri

So it was all heroic gumption coming over here, but then we spot blood, and everything stands still. Seems logical enough. Oh but there goes that big muscular fellow! Good luck muscular fellow! Kavri stalls for a few seconds, but with a sigh, a yearn for adventure gets the better of him. He follows Retay up the stairs exchanging his bow for his longsword. If everyone else is hanging back, I might as well be prepared. Maybe it will be fun, and I won't die. That would be pretty neat. "Come along ladies. Let's not waste time. I'm sure if something is waiting to kill us it doesn't wish to do so in a tardy fashion."

kuja.girl
2008-12-04, 08:25 PM
Tiriel

"I can use a dagger but not well. I think I'd rather leave it available to some one with more skill."

Tiriel starts to follow the first group but stops in front of the passage leading to the left. "Shouldn't we check down here first before heading up? Does anyone have a spare torch?"

Dr._Bob
2008-12-04, 10:35 PM
The drops of blood are fresh, but small as if shed from pinpricks.

Retay, Mazom and Patash are the first to reach the passageway at the top of the stairs. The passage is 10 feet across, running straight ahead. Archways along the right wall open overlook an overgrown courtyard.

Fifty feet away, barely visible in the darkness, a giant humanoid shuffles slowly down the hallway. Grynde appears to be slung over its shoulder or strapped on its back somehow. The creature appears to be draped in vines.

The lower hallway is 10 feet wide. The hall runs directly below the passageway above. It has archways running along its right hall that opens into an overgrown courtyard.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-12-04, 11:16 PM
Elthan

In the lower passage, Elthan proceeds forward carefully, examining the courtyard for traces of Grynde while he is unsuspectedly lugged directly above Elthans head. He takes a few steps off from the path and eyes around. "I don't think he went this way; It doesn't seem like anythings been here for a while..."

Passive Perception - 12; Anything immediately unusual about the courtyard? Anything hiding?

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-12-05, 12:07 AM

Patash seeing Grynde on the back of the creature, advances brandishing his holy symbol and shouts "Release our companion or feel the wrath of Bahamut!"

Patash will walk 6 squares (30') and if Grynde is not released and the creature is in range he will attack the creature using Lance of Faith range 5 squares (25').

Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1] vs Reflex
Damage [roll2] Radiant
If the creature is hit Mazom gains a +2 power bonus on his next attack roll against the creature.

Tanaar
2008-12-05, 12:33 AM
Darros

Darros accentuates Patash's command with flowing, arcane words, sending a humming bolt of silvery force energy down the corridor at the back of the brute's head. Honestly...does he think it'd just surrender after brutally abducting, maybe killing, a random person?

Magic Missile
Attack vs Reflex [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Callos_DeTerran
2008-12-05, 12:43 AM
Callos

It didn't take long as everyone returned from the open aired courtyard for the necromancer, no..that didn't feel right anymore. Former necromancer felt like it was right, the former necromancer drifted back towards the rear. It was without a shadow of a doubt that he was concerned about Grynde but the half-elf-turned-human had proven himself more then capable before and he trusted the other's abilities now.

More importantly...if something had grabbed Grynde from this doorway would that not suggest that something lurked behind the other as well? With as many people that were gathered in this place it seemed fool-hardy to focus all attention on one direction to ignore very possible threats coming from the other three.

Elthan seemed to be watching the lower corridor, everyone else seemed intent on going up the stairs...Callos drifted back towards the minotaur doors with his lighted stone held high, keeping in sight of the others at all times and never nearing too close to the doors.

Zid
2008-12-05, 03:36 AM
Mazom

Mazom moves quickly after the humanoid, realising that stealth is impossible in the large group. He moves after the humanoid as fast as he can.

"Release him at once!"

If the humanoid doesnīt release Grynde, Mazom will move at full speed towards him, and then use Eyebite if within range (10 squares). otherwise, he will move twice.

[roll0]If hit, Mazom is invisible to the creature for one turn
[roll1]

Koji
2008-12-05, 03:04 PM
Kazz

Kazz stays behind the forward guard, on the stairs. The lizardman's booming shouts from above confirm the presence of another entity in the building.

She gives a meaningful glance upward, then back at her allies clustered around the stairs and drifting into the lower hallway. Her heart thrums as the conflict reaches that teetering edge, and anticipation of victory or defeat begins to grow.

She waits until the fight has moved clear of the stairs, then drifts up after it to observe.

Cejer
2008-12-05, 03:58 PM
Atoly Magivol

As Atoly reaches the top of the stairs he takes in the scene. Grynde is illuminated by the glow from Mazom's shield. Recognizing the rude human, Atoly snorts and moves back to the foyer floor, joining the other non-combatants. As he leans against the staircase he calls to those above. "Let us know if you need help. Otherwise I'm going to wait here."

Nahal
2008-12-05, 05:37 PM
Davek

Upon hearing Mazom's shout, Davek moves up the stairs to join the combatants. Upon seeing the large... humanoid at the end of the hall a think smile creeps onto his face. This should be interesting, he says under his breath. Upon catching up to the rest of the group, he tries to find an angle that will provide a clear shot once the creature is within range.

blackfox
2008-12-05, 10:37 PM
Anika

Anika watches the dark courtyard for a signs of movement, from the safety of the shadows, until her attention is drawn by the shouting from above. She darts from her cover and up the stairs, fumbling for a stone to put in her sling and looking for a clear shot at whatever it is is about to get shot at.

kuja.girl
2008-12-06, 01:25 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel reluctantly leaves the courtyard and returns to the where the stairs junction the hallway. She doesn't like not knowing what's behind her in a fight, not that she can do much to help.

Realizing that she's likely to just get in the way, Tirel stays down at the junction a scowl on her face. No armor, no sword. I'm close to useless...

Naleh
2008-12-06, 04:22 AM
Retay

Like Tiriel, the northerner has no armour or sword. But unlike Tiriel, he's not thinking in terms of uselessness.

In what may be his least sane choice yet, he charges forward with an inarticulate grunt and throws himself into the huge humanoid.

Whee! Unarmed attack! I've never done one of these before (except once with a monk)!

[roll0]
[roll1]
Includes Power Attack and charge.

Knubs
2008-12-06, 12:08 PM
Kavri

Seeing the size of the humanoid, Kavri is a little shocked. Bback home the worst he had fought were goblins. He briefly considers switching back to his bow for safety's sake, but when Naleh rams into it, and it is still carrying Grynde, that is not a safe option. He keeps out his longsword and advances but stays a good distance away from the beast. Let it pick out a target, and then I'll get closer.

shaddy_24
2008-12-06, 01:29 PM
Evendur

Hearing the commotion up the stairs, Evendur glances down the hallway one last time and decides that standing around won't help anyone. He sprints up the stairs. Seeing Retey attacking the creature farther down the hallway, and grips the axe tighter as he moves towards it.

[spoiler]I don't think I can actually reach the creature right now, so I'll just move as close to it as possible.

Dr._Bob
2008-12-06, 04:02 PM
Upper passageway

Grynde seems to disappear into the beast's back, as if swallowed somehow by the writhing vines that cover the creature. One hand and arm are left visible - fingers outstretched as if silently pleading for help.

The monster is probably at least twice the size of a large human. It lurches to one side, spinning with surprising grace, as soon as challenged by Patash and Mazom.

A lightning flash illuminates the creature - it is a massive tangle of writhing vines and gnarled thorny branches, roughly humanoid in shape, without any obvious eyes or mouth. It rises up onto its hind "legs" waving its "arms" in mute challenge.

Mazom, Darros and Patash unleash a volley of magical attacks, which the creature seems to ignore.

Kavri and Evendur move forward, with Davek and Anika right behind them.

Heedless of the danger, Retay pushes past them and charges forward, closing the 50' gap in seconds and crashing into the plant-creature at full speed. The plant-creature staggers backward one step, then leans to its left and disappears over the balustrade, crashing into the thick foliage of an adjacent baobab tree.

Kazz reaches the top of the stairs and gingerly peeks over Mazom's shoulder to see what is going on ...

Lower passageway

Elthan steps out into the courtyard but can only take a few steps before being blocked by wildly overgrown trees, vines and underbrush.

Lightning flashes, and Elthan sees that the courtyard is a massive outdoor garden, completely overgrown by vegetation. The plants appear to be a mix of different exotic species, most of which appear more suited for a warm jungle or tropical rainforest than for a chilly mountaintop.

Tiriel keeps a close eye on him from her vantage point under the stairs. She wraps her arms around herself, unaccustomed to the cold.

Suddenly a dark form crashes down from above through a tree, into a large overgrown thicket of bushes. Shouts from above warn you that the creature that snatched Grynde has jumped down to the ground level ...

Vestibule

Atoly yawns and examines his fingernails as the others either rush up the stairs or wander down the passageway to the left.

Callos also stays behind. He steps gingerly back out the hippogriff doors to stand alone in the entrance hall. The small makeshift fire has gone out. A thin wisp of aromatic smoke rises into the air, disappearing into the darkness of the coffered ceiling above.

Callos takes a few steps toward the minotaur doors all the way at the other end of the hallway. The darkness presses in around him, kept at bay only by the glowing stone hovering over his shoulder.

Koji
2008-12-06, 04:13 PM
Kazz

Kazz stumbles backward and steadies herself against a wall. She had expected...what, exactly? She frowns. An alien instinct rose up when the monster was illuminated, but she was nonetheless paralyzed by her lack of experience with this sort of thing. She has to assume that such creatures are commonplace, but this is an extremely unpleasant thought.

She looks to the fighters grouped before her, and turns her anxiety to motivation. She might not know what to do, but they will.

"Well go on!" She shouts, "After him!"

King_of_GRiffins
2008-12-06, 04:31 PM
Elthan

Elthan scans through the underbrush, a few subtle questions working their way through his mind on plant-life and their arrangement before being interrupted by falling giants. Hesitating a moment as he watches it head into the brush, he dashes towards the brush, making a small leap into it before launching two bolts of bright red magical energy at the creature.

Magic Missile (vs. Reflex)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-12-06, 10:21 PM

"By the Platinum One! Look out below the creature has enveloped Grynde and jumped down to the courtyard. Patash exclaims as he rushes to the tree to climb after the vine monster.

Patash moves to the tree and climbs down.

Athletics: [roll0]

If Patash gets within 3 squares (15') and he can use Dragon Breath (Blast 3) without hitting his comrades he will.

Dragon Breath: Fire: [roll1] vs. Reflex
Hit: [roll2] Fire Damage

Erikkin
2008-12-06, 11:39 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn rushes toward where the creature fell. As he gets there, he stops. What is that thing? Is it eating Grynde?

Nahal
2008-12-06, 11:50 PM
Davek

Spurred on by a combination of the creature's flight and Kazz's shouting, Davek moves towards where the creature jumped in hopes of getting a clear shot through one of the slits in the corridor. The Void take you! he hisses as the shadows around him seem to twist and turn in on themselves, deepening as they do so.

Thought the Shadow Walk ability was worth a brief flavor text mention. If possible, Davek will use his Elritch Blast (vs. Reflex) on the creature without hitting Grynde:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
EDIT: used the wrong mod for damage, should be +3 (so 8 total)

kuja.girl
2008-12-07, 02:52 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel starts as the tree-creature crashes to the ground. She quickly rejoins Elthan outside and crouches, ready to spring into action. She clenches her hands into fists missing the familiar weight of a sword.

ooc: holding action. If in the next round the creature faces away from Tiriel and Grynde's arm becomes visible, she'll try to pull him out.
I guess that would be a strength check? Well here's one if it's needed:
[roll0]

Knubs
2008-12-07, 01:14 PM
Kavri

Again Kavri wishes he could switch to his bow and just shoot at the beast from up high. He sees the strange dragon thing clumsily take the tree route and isn't impressed. With a sigh, Kavri turns around and rushes down the stairs. He curses under his breath. Didn't I just run up these a minute ago?

Zid
2008-12-07, 02:37 PM
Mazom

Mazom stares down on the creature as it tumbles down, outside the reach of his weapon. As the others scramble down the stairs, he is left standing rather surprised that his opponent just disappeared. He continues forward, choosing not to do down the stairs. He tries to continue following the opponent from the passageway.

Tanaar
2008-12-07, 03:58 PM
Darros

Dashing toward a better vantage point, Darros aims another bolt of humming magical energy at the fleeing beast. Pouring more magical energy into this one, it swiftly grows into a pulsing orb in his hand before flying off toward the creature with a whipcrack sound. Slightly drained, Darros looks around. Spotting an unconcerned Atoly, he snaps, "Baron! If you wish to maintain your claim that this is your land, you have a noble obligation to protect those not of noble birth on it! What are you doing?" Turning from the young noble, Darros continues to hurry along after the creature, preparing another bolt.

Move-~6 squares of movement toward the creature
Standard-Force Orb
Attack-[roll0] Damage-[roll1]
Darros will continue to use his movement to follow the beast, harrying it with Magic Missiles. If needed, he'll use his Fey Step and every square of movement to stay within the 100-foot range of the spell, without getting too close.

blackfox
2008-12-07, 10:31 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra runs up to the balustrade, whirls Patash's sling a few times, and lets the stone loose at the creature below.

[roll0]

Dr._Bob
2008-12-07, 10:32 PM
The dragonborn cleric follows the creature over the railing into the overgrown tree, crashing through the branches on his way to a hard landing on the ground below.

Elthan blasts the beast as it disappears into the bushes. Darros sends a crackling orb of energy down from the upper level. It explodes in the underbrush scattering leaves and branches fluttering through the air.

"I have him!" Patash calls out. Tiriel plunges into the underbrush to help retrieve Grynde. He is wounded, but conscious. His limbs and neck are covered in bruises and a smattering of small droplets of blood from where the thorny vines had restrained and pricked him.

The beast can be heard retreating through the overgrowth and darkness ...

OOC: Grynde has taken a total of 30 points of damage, but I assume that he also used a second wind, leaving him with 5 hp.

shaddy_24
2008-12-07, 11:04 PM
Evendur

The paladin glanced around as the beast rampaged about on the level below. Seeing no faster rout, he followed the lizard man, leaping towards the tree to climb down.

[roll0]

Naleh
2008-12-08, 02:45 AM
Retay

Slightly dazed after tackling the creature, Retay is slow to react as it falls over the balustrade. After a moment he virtually leaps down after it, to find the injured Grynde in the hands of the lizard-person.

The barbarian stares into the darkness of the overgrown courtyard, not knowing where the creature is or what's out there at all.

"If it comes back," he says aloud, "we still outnumber it. If it doesn't, there's no point following. There's no danger so long as the tribe stays together."

Apparently not noticing the way he worded that sentence, he turns his attentions back to Grynde.

[roll0] to climb down.

Nahal
2008-12-08, 08:41 AM
Davek

As he reaches the tree the others climbed down, Davek notices Grynde lying there. He seems to relax a little, and the shadows around him return to normal-ish.

I might suggest you get inside, he calls down. I'm sure we're all going to want to know what the bloody hells that thing was, and to regroup before we press onward.

Durendal
2008-12-08, 09:42 AM
Harsk

While he was studying the evidence left on the stairs, he is distracted by the shouting, furious groups of people running around him, and the loud crashes out in the courtyard.
"What the bloody hell is going on here" cries the confused dwarf, running out to the courtyard where most of the commotion is coming from "What happened to being careful!"

As he runs into the courtyard he sees the severely injured Grynde and halts his complaints. Guess I missed something. Not much I can do now. I'll just keep watch. Taking advantage of the copious undergrowth, Harsk draws his crossbow and vanishes into the bushes.

Stealth[roll0]
Perception[roll1]

blackfox
2008-12-08, 12:01 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra leans over the balustrade to get a better view of Patash and Grynde. "Patash, is he alive?" She climbs over the railing and steadies herself, hanging from the balcony, before dropping to the floor below and pushing her way to the edge of the undergrowth.

Acrobatics Check to jump down (1d20 9=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1848963/)

King_of_GRiffins
2008-12-08, 03:27 PM
Elthan

Elthan idly kicks Gryndes boot in mild amusement. So I'll never need to kill him for being an annoying prick; he'll do it himself. Calmly, Elthan stands besides Gryndes 'corpse' and bows his head, "Yea unto our friend Grynde, who perished at the hands of a living bush. So strong was he that he could topple mountains, but not uncommon foliage. May his soul forever rest in his preferred afterlife, and thereupon annoy whatever devils he has been inflicted upon. Such poor, poor devils..."

The half-elf keeps his head bowed, concieling his own smirk to not ruin the seriousness of his manner. Discarding his expression, he looks up and states less sarcastically, "There's nothing wrong with exploring the keep; we shall do so at some point anyway. Let this be evidence though, that at no point is wandering off alone in a potentially inhabited site a good idea."

Koji
2008-12-08, 04:11 PM
Kazz

Kazz wanders down into the garden at a leisurely pace. She does a quick head-count of those assembled there, and nods.

"Come along. There's no hope of finding the thing out here in the dark. Let's get back inside," she calls.

Cejer
2008-12-08, 04:50 PM
Atoly Magivol

Walking toward the garden at a leisurely pace, Atoly stretches his arms and readies his shield. During the beast's sudden flight he stops completely. "Darros, I think you worry too much. Clearly that creature was not much of a threat."

Making a sharp turn, Atoly returns to the entrance hall. "Hmm, Callos was it? I believe your companion has been recovered, but I do not know his condition. Things are quite clear on our end."

Dr._Bob
2008-12-08, 10:33 PM
Evendur crashes to the ground, unceremoniously landing on his butt.

Retay grabs a branch, then swings downward and shinnys down the trunk of the tree partway before leaping to the ground. He lands on his hands and feet like a tiger ready to pounce.

After her sling shot disappears into the overgrowth, Anika lets herself down from the upper level carefully, landing lightly and gracefully on her feet.

Harsk disappears into the brush, his crossbow held ready. He returns a few moments later. The monster would be easy to track, but it might not be so wise to pursue it alone in the middle of the night. The dwarf decided to exercise some caution, given the uncertain situation (and being unsure whether he can count on the others for back up ...).

Retay carries Grynde back to the entrance hall where Atoly and Callos are waiting. Grynde is slow getting his voice back after nearly being strangled by a thorny vine.

You close the hippogriff doors, but they can not be locked from this side, and thus provide little security.

Addis slings his bow back over his shoulder. "I agree with you ... Retay, isn't it? I do not think the plant creature will bother us while we have the advantage of numbers."

Addis' violet eyes flash. "But we should discourage each other from wandering off by ourselves, until we have a better sense of who might be living here in your castles ..."

Addis turns to Fizahn and Mazom. "The room with the shrines could be defended more easily than this entrance hall, don't you agree? Were there other rooms beyond the courtyard with the fountain?"

Addis turns to Callos. "You seem more interested in the third set of doors than in the fate of your friend. Does that gate lead to your castle, perhaps?"

Tanaar
2008-12-08, 10:51 PM
Darros

Wondering at Atoly's ability to completely miss a pertinent point, Darros merely rolls his eyes at the noble man's reply. Hurrying to Grynde's side, the high elf assesses the man's wounds, deciding whether his limited healing magic is required.

Dr._Bob
2008-12-08, 11:26 PM
Grynde is seriously injured. The vines appear to have crushed some of his ribs, and the puncture wounds from the thorns continue to ooze. He is breathing but, judging from the pained look on his face, each breath is agonizing.

At first glance, Grynde appears to be fully human, but as Darros examines him, he notes subtle signs of Grynde's partially elven heritage. Clearly Grynde is more comfortable passing himself off as human, however, so Darros makes no comment in this regard ...

Erikkin
2008-12-08, 11:26 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at Addis. "There were some other doors beyond the courtyard. I believe one of them might have actually led to one of the castles, but I really have no idea. You can check them out if you'd like, but I'd prefer to stay where it's dry for a while."

Dr._Bob
2008-12-08, 11:29 PM
Addis fingers the raven feather around his neck absent-mindedly.

"Well, we could hole up in the shrine room until morning, I suppose. There are only two entrances to the chamber, and we have enough numbers to defend them I should think."

Addis nods towards Callos and the minotaur-flanked doors, "Unless your friend here knows something more about those doors than he's been willing to share with us so far ..."

Callos_DeTerran
2008-12-08, 11:37 PM
Callos

At the sound of the commotion Callos twisted his head about to watch the precendings, face blank as Addis questions him about anything he might know about the set of minotaur flanked doors. Finally his gaze hardens and he seems to focus on the present.

"Your tone is not appreciated in the least. Grynde is a companion and not a friend, nor do I know what is beyond this door. What I do know is I have a hunch...more of a feeling that I can find some answers beyond these doors. If these will be answers to the questions I have...that I don't know, but I still think I should check beyond here before settling in or continuing down some other path."

The former necromancer thoughtfully reached up to scratch at the growing stubble on his cheek, an idle tick that came about whenever he was distracted. It was almost an afterthought to keep the glowing rock aloft before shaking his head.

"Now what happened to Grynde?"

Matticus
2008-12-09, 01:14 AM
Grynde

Bad things happened to me he wheezes painfully in Callos's direction. Godsdamn. Getting up, he wipes his face of plant-juices and blood settled there. I think I'm going to need a weapon. Has anyone found our stuff? Armour? Swords? All my potions? Ugh...Where are the damn clerics, anyway?

Tanaar
2008-12-09, 01:19 AM
Darros

"I could heal you, friend Grynde, but my supply of healing magic if sorely limited and best suited to the direst of emergencies." Darros glances around. "Are any of you healers by occupation? I merely dabble."

[spoiler]Heal check to ease his pain for now-[roll0]

kuja.girl
2008-12-09, 01:48 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel had been about to drag Grynde unceremoniously back into the main hall but Retay had beaten her too it. The large man had even lifted the sot up, Tiriel hasn't sure she'd have done even that much for him, not after some of the trouble he'd caused before.

Shaking her wet hair out of hair face Tiriel follows Retay's large frame back into the cold, dark, but not wet, halls.

"He got attacked by some plant monster. Almost killed him too. We might as well look for a better place to spend the night. If we don't find something soon we can go back to the room with the alters."

Zid
2008-12-09, 04:38 AM
Mazom

Mazom moves up to Grynde and Darros, his sword now sheated. Kneeling, he puts on hand on Darros chest and close his eyes, while his face seems strained.

Using Lay on hands on Grynde, who will heal an extra 2 hp

Erikkin
2008-12-09, 08:45 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn sighs as Addis keeps questioning them. He lets Callos speak before piping up. "Look. It's awfully flattering that you believe we know more about this place. It shows you've recognized that Callos and I have far superior intellect to you, but it's also slightly annoying. We've been repeating the same thing. We only know that I own one of the towers and Callos owns the other. We don't even know which of us owns which tower."

Nahal
2008-12-09, 09:11 AM
Davek

Seeing the situation more or less in hand below, Davek listens in on the conversation. When Tiriel mentions finding a place to camp for the night, he agrees.

I agree that we should probably find cover for now. We have no way of knowing how many more of those things or gods know what else are out there, and a number of us are fairly under-equipped at the moment. So I vote we either press on and see if we can locate some gear or fall back to the shrine room so we have a somewhat defensible position while we wait for morning. I suppose we could also track down and kill whatever it was that took Grynde, to make sure we aren't harassed further. Any thoughts? Davek remains where he is for now, keeping an eye out for any movement in the courtyard

Perception, just in case:
[roll0]

Koji
2008-12-09, 05:48 PM
Kazz

"So what was that thing?" Asks Kazz, at length, "Are there going to be more of them?"

She scans the faces in the little crowd, spooked, but earnestly expecting someone to know all about the subject of giant plant-monsters.

Dr._Bob
2008-12-10, 10:50 AM
Grynde describes opening the hippogriff doors out of curiousity, only to be snatched and nearly strangled by animated vines.

Addis shrugs when Kazz asks about the creature. "We can only hope that it was an isolated aberration. Perhaps a side-effect of whatever twisted magic created a tropical garden on the top of a mountain?"

For the moment the group returns to the room with the shrines. While Darros and Mazom tend to Grynde's wounds, Addis takes one of the votive candles from the table next to the door and places the small light on the stone block engraved with the raven skull and murmurs a small prayer.

As the storm passes, Addis and Davek check the fountain courtyard again. To the left they find what appears to be a dining hall and adjacent kitchen. The tables and chairs have been upended and piled against the far wall, where the hall would have opened through several arches into the overgrown garden, creating a makeshift barricade.

Unfortunately, the kitchen's pantry appears to have been raided long ago. All that remains are dust and some shattered barrels and empty shelves.

The large, heavy double doors leading toward the small keep visible over the wall directly behind the fountain fail to open for either Addis or Davek. The gate might be locked from the outside.

To the right of the fountain, the doors open into a small (10' x 10') room that leads to a larger hall (30' x 60') that appears to have once been some sort of barracks. Most of the bunks are little more than piles of shattered wood. A few remain intact, though their straw mattresses rotted away long ago.

Doors in the wall to the right of the barracks lead to an equal sized parallel room - an old armory. Dust covers the miscellaneous weapons and gear still lying on racks and wall hooks. The gear is old, but servicable ...

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-12-10, 11:21 AM

Patash aides Darros and Mazom tend to Grynde. He prays softly in Draconic, "Mighty Bahamut grant your healing presence so I might aide my comrade."

Patash will use healing word as required to aide Grynde.

Grynde may spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hp

After tending to Grynde, Patash will inspect the other rooms with the others. Spying the old furniture he starts gathering the broken pieces and says, "Which room would be best to build the fire?"

Erikkin
2008-12-10, 11:50 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn begins exploring the keep, but as the others move toward the barracks, he gets caught up at the locked door. He first checks the door for traps, then tries to open it himself. If he fails at that, he calls over Callos. "Callos. I want to see if this door has a magical lock that only responds to the owner." If Callos comes and tries to open the door, but fails, then Fizahn resorts to picking the lock.

[roll0]
[roll1]

blackfox
2008-12-10, 12:04 PM
Ginevra

Ginevra hangs back worriedly as Grynde's injuries are tended to, and follows the rest of the party to explore the rooms surrounding the courtyard. "A fire... has anyone seen if there's a fireplace around here? There'd be one in the kitchen..." She ducks quickly into the barracks to see if there is a fireplace in that room.

After a cursory glance around the barracks, she comes back inside the armory, in search of armor that might fit her and weapons she knows how to use.

(OOC: Dr. Bob, I'm guessing here is where we can pick up the equipment we have listed on our character sheets?)

Durendal
2008-12-10, 01:09 PM
Harsk

The dwarf retreats from his verdant hiding place once the others have successfully retreated from the garden, remaining vigilant for the monster. Having not actually seen the beast, he tries his best to identify it from their descriptions.

Harsk follows Addis and Davek when they explore the rest of the courtyard. He leaves the door to the gnome, ignores the barren kitchen, and makes his way to the barracks and armory. He gathers up as much of the broken wood as he can carry, heads back to the shrine room, and begins making another fire.
"There seems to be a decent collection o' arms in the room to the right. Ye might wanna check it out if yeh happen to be poorly equipped at the moment. An' whoever's got me axe, I'd like it back."

Checks to identify the monster:
Nature[roll0]
Dungeoneering[roll1]

shaddy_24
2008-12-10, 03:53 PM
Evendur

Evendur followed the group that explored the courtyard and beyond. When they find the armory, he explores it carefully, digging up and recovering any usable armour and weapons. Bringing as much of it back to the main area as possible, he remembers that he's the one who borrowed the axe and returns it, "Oh, of course. Thank you for letting me use it."

He makes as many trips back and forth as needed, bringing all the old gear over and sorting it into piles of different armour and weapons. "I think we'll be able to arm ourselves again with these," he says.

Koji
2008-12-10, 04:52 PM
Kazz

Kazz tries making a torch from a plank of wood, but fails to grasp the idea of wrapping something more flammible about the top, so gives up on it. Her eyes gloss over the assembled equipment, but without much interest. What kind of people would have kept weapons like this?

The barricade is particularly upsetting. She knows what's out there, and wonders if it ever got in. She is absolutely inexperienced, but ancient instincts are running at full-bore.

She finally asks Harsk, "Whose things are these? Why did they leave their weapons and armor behind, were they worth so little?"

Durendal
2008-12-10, 05:07 PM
Harsk

He thanks Evendur for his axe then muses over the strange lady's question while tending the fire. He finally comes up with several explanations. "Could be they're not worth anything, 'ts hard to tell cause the stuffs so old. Considering the barricade its more likely the armor was left behind when whoever was here decided to flee. Armors heavy and slows ye down. Or could be that they never got a chance to put it on before theys was all killed. Lets just hope it wasn't the last one."

After getting the fire started, he helps the others carry back more gear from the armory, while also looking around for anything useful or something that could clue them into what happened.

Perception for the armory [roll0]

Nahal
2008-12-10, 06:11 PM
Davek

At this point I'd say beggars can't be chosers, Davek remarks to Harsk, though I concede it's not exactly ideal. Either way we've all got a means of defending ourselves, which is a step above where we were a minute ago. Would one of you two fine gentlemen (referring to Fizahn and Callos) give that door heading towards the keep a try? It could be that it only opens for the keep's owner.

Dr._Bob
2008-12-10, 07:56 PM
Harsk realizes that building a fire within the chamber of shrines would only fill the relatively low ceilinged chamber with smoke. Instead, he follows Ginevra's suggestion and soon has a fire roaring in the kitchen's large, but long unused hearth.

Grynde shakily gets to his feet and walks over to the kitchen area where he settles down to bind his wounds as best he can.

The warmth from the hearth fire soon drives away the winter chill. Several of you make trips back and forth to and from the armory with gear as well as wood. On one of those trips, Harsk discovers the outline of a cunningly disguised secret passageway.

When Fizahn walks over to examine the locked double doors in the fountain courtyard, they open easily for him. A series of patios connected by steps leads to a small square keep nestled into the mountainside.

OOC: As blackfox suggested, your characters are now equipped with their "starting equipment".

kuja.girl
2008-12-10, 08:21 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel sorts through the abandoned armor and weapons until she finds a large serviceable sword and a set of plate armor. Both have seen better days, but the sword is rust free and can be sharpened, and the armor polished, later.

She buckles on the sword which to too long to wear at the waist, instead she wears it over her shoulder. I couldn't do that before, not with my wings... she thinks to herself. The sword makes her feel more secure and she follows Fizahn to the doors in the courtyard.

"So if the doors opened for you, does that mean that this one is yours?" She asks him gesturing to the keep above.

Tanaar
2008-12-10, 09:28 PM
Darros

After reclaiming his dagger, Darros assists Grynde in binding his wounds as much as the human will allow, compassion evident on his face. When Grynde appears to be able to move around comfortably, he follows Fizahn out onto one of the nearby patios. Drawing out his crystal orb, Darros sits cross-legged, staring out at the storm. Meditating on the power of the spectacle, the orb rises out of his lap of its own accord, arcane lightning dancing within it.

Matticus
2008-12-10, 09:38 PM
Grynde

He shrugs Darros off as he fixes himself up. Feeling much better, he dons his new, heavy armour, and inspects the two different spiked flails he took from the armory. To his annoyance he had been unable to find a short sword that fit his hand as he remembered, but he vaguely recalls a half-orc trying to trip a demigod with similar instruments and decides to try them out. He gives them a few experimental swings, smiles, and slings the heavier one across his back and the lighter one around his waist in such a way that the spikes would not cause him discomfort.
Standing slightly away from the group, he practices drawing them both and attacking as quickly as he can, familiarising himself with his new toys.

Naleh
2008-12-11, 12:01 AM
Retay

The northerner helps to ferry things from the armoury to the warmth of kitchen. Among them he is surprised to find a large axe, rather like the one he lost. Deciding it is much better than trying to tackle every foe he meets, he takes the weapon for his own.

On the other hand, he cannot find any armour resembling his old hides and furs, which he preferred for their lightness and flexibility. He eventually settles on a heavy scale armour, knowing that these days he is more likely to be fighting for his life in one place than hunting game across the tundra.

Thus armed, he settles in the kitchen and begins to stare into the flames.

Rodrick_the_Red
2008-12-11, 01:01 AM

After Patash collects the broken furniture, he then moves into the kitchen any useable table chairs. Once finished he sits in one and stares into the fire.

Bahamut, grant me the wisdom to understand your purpose in sending me to this place with these people he thinks to himself.