PDA

View Full Version : The Fruit Thread

SilverSheriff
2008-11-24, 09:50 AM
Talk about fruit, whether you like Bananas or hate Bananas we want to know.

Inspired by the Derailed Questions about Bannings thread.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-24, 09:54 AM
Down with bananas (especially stuff with artificial-banana flavoring :smallyuk:).

Up with pomegranates!

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-24, 09:55 AM
I dislike bananas, they have a strange texture and the taste is odd. I like apples, Fuji apples specifically. And plums, red grape, pineapple, and cantaloupe. And clementines.
Oh, and are persimmons fruit? 'Cause they are delicious.

^ Ew, banana flavoring :smallyuk:
V could be. :smallamused:

Adumbration
2008-11-24, 09:58 AM
Is this some kind of double entendre?

Just so that you know, I'm not being serious.

I'm a peach guy myself.

Lord Herman
2008-11-24, 10:01 AM
Um, guys? Roland said we're not supposed to be discussing bananas openly.

SilentNight
2008-11-24, 10:04 AM
How about nectarines then? As far as apples go, I'm a pink lady man myself.

potatocubed
2008-11-24, 10:04 AM
Who's discussing banananananas?

I'm discussing peaches. Om nom nom. And pears. Om nom nom.

I'm not actually all that fond of fruit-as-fruit, although I love fruit juice, fruit pies, fruitcake, etc. I don't know why that is.

Mephibosheth
2008-11-24, 10:06 AM
Mangoes are by far the greatest fruit on the face of the planet. Without question. Especially the yellow mangoes you can buy in May in India (and other places, I'm sure). So delicious!

Mephibosheth

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-24, 10:10 AM
Um, guys? Roland said we're not supposed to be discussing bananas openly.

Relatively sure he meant bannings. :smallbiggrin:

I agree about mangoes, and add them to my list!
I forgot strawberries and pomegranates too. Not artificial flavoring though. Or scent. 'Cept in starbursts. Strawberry starbursts are forgiven.

dish
2008-11-24, 10:10 AM
I love all fruit. But some kinds are better than others.

I do agree that a good mango is a thing of beauty which should be treasured to the very last, golden, thick, scented, drop of juice.

Coidzor
2008-11-24, 10:12 AM
Might be because the acidity/texture of the fruit is made more... standardized when it's processed into a pie or juice or what have you. Also, like with grapes and strawberries, the fruits themselves always seemed to have very little flavor, especially when compared with the juices or cooked down syrups/pies.

hmm... Part of me wishes that I had exposure to types of bananas other than the wimpy kind that the U.S. gets, since I grew up enjoying the tactile feeling of peeling a banana as a sort of morning ritual after having my mom traumatize me when everyone was mourning the death of one of my dad's friends (I was...7?) by saying he had his heart attack or whatever due to a lack of potassium from not eating bananas. :smallconfused: maybe my life really is pretty weird...

I'd say that my favorite fruit is the orange, despite the fact that I still haven't really gotten comfortable with peeling them (which is weird, because I love feeling the peel and keeping it around to dry out and keep cats away while freshening the air). I blame growing up in Florida, since if one grows up there without being exposed to orange juice, there's probably something weird going on.

SilverSheriff
2008-11-24, 10:14 AM
I'd have to say my favourite Fruit is a nice juicy Pear, where they juice is sweeter than Honey and drips out of your mouth forcing you to take smaller bites, but you just don't want to because that Pear is so damn tasty that you just gotta hurry up and eat it only to go grab another one.

Man, those are some tasty Pears.

Charity
2008-11-24, 10:17 AM
I love all fruit. But some kinds are better than others.

I do agree that a good mango is a thing of beauty which should be treasured to the very last, golden, thick, scented, drop of juice.

See, you are not helping my mind not go there are you?

I'm not usually a big fan of fruit (the noble raspberry aside) but it is beginning to grow on me... it must be my er.. fertile imagination...

Serpentine
2008-11-24, 10:19 AM
Um, guys? Roland said we're not supposed to be discussing bananas openly.I was wondering whether anyone else noticed that :smallbiggrin:
I love love love mangoes - they mean Christmas to me. Apples always make me feel hungry for some reason. Like bananas when they're just right, like oranges but they're fiddly... Love stone fruit (looking forward to my various fruit trees fruiting). Um... Eh, you get the idea.

I had a chocolate puddingfruit the other day. It was... odd :smallconfused:

SilverSheriff
2008-11-24, 10:24 AM
I had a chocolate puddingfruit the other day. It was... odd :smallconfused:

This intrigues me, please continue.

Coidzor
2008-11-24, 10:26 AM
This intrigues me, please continue.

It made me start wondering that if there were breadfruits and pudding fruits, then where were the cake and pie fruits... Which makes me intrigued as well as causing some mild need for napkins....

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-24, 10:29 AM
I like bananas, a lot. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to them.

If they touch my lips, they swell up like I just got a collagen injection.

Vagnarok
2008-11-24, 10:33 AM
My favorites, in order:

1. Apples
2. Bananas
3. Strawberries
4. Pineapple
5. Grapes

Juice is a whole other story though. I do believe that orange juice is the King.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-24, 10:35 AM
For juice, I like apple and cranberry best.

Semidi
2008-11-24, 10:37 AM
I'm sad that pomegranate season is almost over, but at least winter is coming and I can buy those boxes of little oranges (or whatever the hell they are). I love those things, I eat them like candy.

Vagnarok
2008-11-24, 10:38 AM
Oh man, cranberry is my least favorite... It's really good for preventing UTI's though, go figure.

Apple juice is my #2 choice. :)

Serpentine
2008-11-24, 10:38 AM
The chocolate pudding fruit is a dark green on the outside. It is considered ripe when, to quote the sign at the supermarket, it is of a "marshmallow-like" softness. On the inside, it is dark brown and gooey with several large bean-shaped seeds. The flesh doesn't have a very strong flavour, but tastes vaguely of chocolate.

dish
2008-11-24, 10:39 AM
See, you are not helping my mind not go there are you?

I'm not usually a big fan of fruit (the noble raspberry aside) but it is beginning to grow on me... it must be my er.. fertile imagination...

I hope I am at least distracting your mind from where it was going in the thread-that-was-the-inspiration-from-this-one.

Raspberries? Why?

Fostire
I love apples, I eat 3-6 apples a day. I love most fruit though, except for melons and tomatoes.

unstattedCommoner
I am not a fan of bananas.

Relatively sure he meant bannings. :smallbiggrin:

I'm sure it was bunnies. In fact it must be, because they aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They've got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses. And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

Krytha
2008-11-24, 10:42 AM
I like fruits. Apples suck. Bananas don't taste very good.

Watermelon, mango, black/rasp/mulberries, some pears, apricots, cherries, ripe plums, red grapefruits, oranges? are OMGGOOD.

Starfruit are inexpicably attractive, but they don't taste particularly amazing? And strawberries are mostly sour so I don't really care for them either.

Lord Herman
2008-11-24, 10:44 AM
I'm sure it was bunnies. In fact it must be, because they aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They've got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses. And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

Or maybe midgets?

dish
2008-11-24, 10:48 AM
Starfruit are inexpicably attractive, but they don't taste particularly amazing?

No, they don't. Though the prize for the most attractive looking fruit with the least taste must go to the dragon fruit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_fruit).

Krytha
2008-11-24, 10:52 AM
I'm sad that pomegranate season is almost over, but at least winter is coming and I can buy those boxes of little oranges (or whatever the hell they are). I love those things, I eat them like candy.

Clementines for winter, but tangerines are very similar in shape, size, flavour and looking like mini-oranges.

Charity
2008-11-24, 11:07 AM
^ Satsumas, preferably still slightly green

I hope I am at least distracting your mind from where it was going in the thread-that-was-the-inspiration-from-this-one.

Raspberries? Why?

Very much not I'm afraid, your descriptive vocabulary displays too much passion for fruit (death would be proud)
Raspberries, and berries generally (apart from the evil, not even a real berry strawberry) are tart enough for my jaded palette, I'm not a fan of sweet things... in general

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-24, 11:10 AM
This xkcd says everything you need to know about fruit.

EDIT:Would you credit it? The address was filtered, link (http://www.xkcd.com/388/)instead.

Krytha
2008-11-24, 11:20 AM
This xkcd says everything you need to know about fruit.

EDIT:Would you credit it? The address was filtered, link (http://www.xkcd.com/388/)instead.

That xkcd is wrong.

mangosta71
2008-11-24, 11:25 AM
I'll eat almost any fruit. I love blackberries. And I had lots of fresh mango while I was in Puerto Rico last month. Golden delicious apples are great, and oranges (especially blood oranges), and bananas, and strawberries, and watermelons, and peaches, and honeydew, and cantaloupe... I find that I usually prefer fresh fruit to fruit flavors. Artificial watermelon and peach flavors are particularly offensive. As for juice, apple pomegranate > all.

dish
2008-11-24, 11:43 AM
Mangosta71: I've been vaguely wondering if your username refers to the fruit. Does it?

Also, I agree with xkcd, providing coconuts are on the tasty side of difficult.

mangosta71
2008-11-24, 12:34 PM
Mangosta71: I've been vaguely wondering if your username refers to the fruit. Does it?

Actually, it's Spanish for mongoose, and has no relation to the fruit. But the fruit is exceedingly tasty.

Adumbration
2008-11-24, 12:37 PM
I've never really liked mango. It's just a bit... ugh.

I much prefer other fruits.

FdL
2008-11-24, 12:37 PM
Dish, "mangosta" is actually the spanish word for Mongoose. So that would be what his avvie represents.

Edit: Ninja'd at this ^^

Off the top of my head, I think my favorite fruit is cherries. I tend to like more acid tasting fruit than the sweet stuff.

I like apples, you can't beat a really good apple. But then I stick to green apples, though they can get overly acid too often. The perfect apple for me is probably a bright red one that's more acid than sweet, and doesn't have the "earthy" texture of some of the sweeter varieties of apples.

Bananas...Hmmm, not a fan. But every now and then I enjoy one. Again, the sweeter kind just disgusts me. Though some have some acid taste in there that's really good in contrast with the creamy, slightly milky sweetness they usually have.

In all, I think that banana is polarizing because it's really different to the rest of the well known fruits, in texture and taste.

I like coconut a lot too. It's difficult (see XKCD), but I enjoy it a lot :3

mangosta71
2008-11-24, 12:42 PM
I like apples, you can't beat a really good apple.

Have you tried it with a bat? :smalltongue:

On bananas, if you have never experienced the wonder that is a peanut butter-honey-banana sandwich, you're missing out on one of the great joys of life.

FdL
2008-11-24, 12:53 PM
On bananas, if you have never experienced the wonder that is a peanut butter-honey-banana sandwich, you're missing out on one of the great joys of life.

My problem with that kind of stuff is I get easily cloyed. I have a low tolerance to overly sweet stuff. I like honey though. And when I was a baby, my mom used to give me bananas mashed down with honey ^^

Not a fan of peanut butter either. I guess it's a cultural thing, as we don't have it here. You can get it nowadays, but I'm not used to eating it.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-24, 12:55 PM
I love coconut. I got a coconut over the summer, but it was all dry and unpleasant on the inside, and tasted a little like coconut-scented soap. :smallyuk: So disappointing. There was also the fact that I didn't have a knife that could cut it open, so I had to open it by dropping it out of the window onto the sidewalk.
I think my favorite fruit is actually plums. When they're refrigerated so they're kinda crunchy, and make a very satisfying sound when you bite into them.

mangosta71
2008-11-24, 12:56 PM
Not a fan of peanut butter either. I guess it's a cultural thing, as we don't have it here. You can get it nowadays, but I'm not used to eating it.

Ya know, I'd swear that I've seen your location tag before, and I know how hard it was to find peanut butter when I was in Santiago (and how expensive and low-quality it was when I could find it), so I probably should have realized that you probably hadn't had something like that before...

FdL
2008-11-24, 01:01 PM
I love coconut. I got a coconut over the summer, but it was all dry and unpleasant on the inside, and tasted a little like coconut-scented soap. :smallyuk: So disappointing. There was also the fact that I didn't have a knife that could cut it open, so I had to open it by dropping it out of the window onto the sidewalk.
I think my favorite fruit is actually plums. When they're refrigerated so they're kinda crunchy, and make a very satisfying sound when you bite into them.

Plums are cool, yeah. I like them as a summer fruit. They're refreshing.

Heh, coconuts are no doubt the most fun fruit ever. Every time you need to open one it's a little adventure ^^

Ya know, I'd swear that I've seen your location tag before, and I know how hard it was to find peanut butter when I was in Santiago (and how expensive and low-quality it was when I could find it), so I probably should have realized that you probably hadn't had something like that before...

Well, here you can buy it in Walmart or Carrefour, as imports. I don't know about quality, but I don't like a lot the idea of it. I like peanuts and also other confections made of peanut, but it being an oily creamy spread doesn't make me want to eat it *shrug*

Dr. Bath
2008-11-24, 01:22 PM
Anyone else like bilberries? (I think that's what they're called, you find 'em on heathland) The only problem being that only the wild ones taste nice. Boo to inaccessible fruit!

Banananana is nice with chocolate spread (Nutella preferably) in a sandwitch. Ray Mears suggested it, so it has to be good. It is also good from my own personal experience.

Peanut butter is good with Branston Pickle.

What? Don't look at me like that.

FdL
2008-11-24, 01:51 PM
Banananana is nice with chocolate spread (Nutella preferably) in a sandwitch. Ray Mears suggested it, so it has to be good. It is also good from my own personal experience.

I could try this, I have a jar of Nutella...
Do you have to mash it all together?

Dr. Bath
2008-11-24, 01:53 PM
Nah. Slice up the banananananana into lots of little circles and put them on top of the chocolated bread. If you are going for the full sandwich a light coating of chocolate on the top slice may be advisable.

Morty
2008-11-24, 01:53 PM
Apples are the pinnacle of fruit evolution. Without them, the life wouldn't be possible. Anyone trying to claim that there are better fruit than apples will have to meet me in the dueling field.
Yes, I like apples. How did you guess?

Coidzor
2008-11-24, 02:21 PM
Apples are the pinnacle of fruit evolution. Without them, the life wouldn't be possible. Anyone trying to claim that there are better fruit than apples will have to meet me in the dueling field.

One of my biggest regrets is how few varieties of apples one can come into contact with...

FdL
2008-11-24, 02:30 PM
Nah. Slice up the banananananana into lots of little circles and put them on top of the chocolated bread. If you are going for the full sandwich a light coating of chocolate on the top slice may be advisable.

This sounds better. This way you can taste both the banana and the chocolate. This is something I will try as soon as I get my hands on a banana.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-24, 02:33 PM
In my opinion, wild strawberries are the best fruit. They have to be the ones that are smaller than the last joint of your fingers though. The store variety of strawberries are kinda bland.

Linkavitch
2008-11-24, 02:35 PM
I like bananas okay, but I like pitted fruit better, like peaches or nectarines.

FdL
2008-11-24, 02:36 PM
I'll have to stand with Mort there in that the apple is the king of the fruits. Queen, actually, because I see apples as females.

Peaches are female too. I'd say bananas are male, but that would be too cliched :p

Meh, in general I think of all fruit as female. I'd have to think of one I feel as male.

Morty
2008-11-24, 02:46 PM
One of my biggest regrets is how few varieties of apples one can come into contact with...

Nah, the worst thing is the havoc eating too much apples wreack on your stomach. I keep telling myself: "Don't eat so many apples!" but I do eat too many apples anyway.

Coidzor
2008-11-24, 02:50 PM
I'll have to stand with Mort there in that the apple is the king of the fruits. Queen, actually, because I see apples as females.

Peaches are female too. I'd say bananas are male, but that would be too cliched :p

Meh, in general I think of all fruit as female. I'd have to think of one I feel as male.

Considering what part of the plant they are....

@Mort: true, but some part of me just wishes I could have an all-apple fruit salad and still have a cornucopia of flavors rather than... maybe 4 types of roughly similar if delicious flavors.

Lycan 01
2008-11-24, 02:58 PM
Blech. I hate most fruits and their by-products. The only fruit I'll eat straight is a banana, and even then it has to be turning brown. If its still mostly yellow, it tastes nasty, and if there's any green on any part of it, I get sick. Very sick. :smallannoyed:

Of course, I eat enough ketchup and pasta-sauce-featuring-dishes and drink enough orange juice to convert my diet into one that is mostly fruit based. :smallbiggrin:

(The Tomatoe is a fruit, by scientific standards. It is a vegetable by name due to taxation purposes, as the US economy would have to revamp a lot of food taxes if it were considered a fruit, because fruits and their products are taxed lighter than vegetables. I learned that in my Botany class. :smallbiggrin:)

Fostire
2008-11-24, 05:03 PM
Considering what part of the plant they are...

They're pretty much plant fetuses and as such can have either gender, but since most plants are hermaphrodites (have both genders) only few fruits are actually gendered (like the kiwi fruit)

EDIT: it's actually more complicated than that. The seeds as fetuses would be a better analogy.

Player_Zero
2008-11-24, 05:06 PM
I like apples.

http://usuarios.lycos.es/asaelel/imagenes/death%20note/ryuk.jpg
I do not like bananas.

Most other fruit are irrelevant.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-24, 06:02 PM
lol ryuk.
Also, http://wwff.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/orange.jpg

FdL
2008-11-24, 06:02 PM
I don't mean their biological gender. I mean on how one can perceive gender for objects which do not have one.

Edit: To stay strictly on topic, I'll say I don't like pears that much.

Player_Zero
2008-11-24, 06:04 PM
I don't mean their biological gender. I mean on how one can perceive gender for objects which do not have one.

Some people assign colours to letters or numbers. How can they do that?

It is a trick of perception.

TRM
2008-11-24, 10:22 PM
This thread made me hungry over lunch, so I ate a banana (which was amazing, like all good bananas); now I'm very glad I did, because it saved me from cramping during an especially hard workout. Hooray for forums!

I have a very unfortunate friend who doesn't like any fruit, apparently it is "too squishy and fuzzy and ... eew!" I like all fruit, there hasn't been a fruit yet that I don't like, but my favorites are mangos, peaches, nectarines, bananas, apples (the crunchy, sweet kind), and pineapple.

I could eat nothing but fruits and be happy. >_>

Recaiden
2008-11-24, 11:11 PM

A duel then. Where shall we prove that strawberries, raspberries, tangeloes and pomegranetes are superior to apples?

I love fruit, with the exception of tomatoes. Only fruit that I don't like. I'm not sure why.

Haruki-kun
2008-11-24, 11:49 PM
Well, I love cocounts. They're really good. I even drink the water. Unfortunately, Randall Munroa is pretty right, they're just too damn hard to work with.

Although... Coconuts are actually seeds, so I'm not sure if they should be brought up here....<.<

Winter_Wolf
2008-11-24, 11:52 PM
Texture of the fruit is very important to me. I just can't get behind mealy fruit. Apples are a kind that I have particularly bad luck with. Also, watermelon gets that way sometimes, and even if it's sweet as can be, the texture of it really turns me off. Not quite ripe peaches and nectarines are great. I love it when it's still kind of crunchy.

My all time favorites are black cherries, pineapples, pomella, and lizhi (lychee). The last are kind of iffy, because I've had some really bad ones masquerading as good ones.

Tamarind just disgusts me no end. Also no huge fan of pomegranate. I always worry about oranges, because a good orange is just hard to beat, but once I've had that really sweet orange, I don't want to eat the rest of them, because having the last orange be dry and bland is such a let down.

Juice wise, nothing beats good ol' orange juice.

Lemur
2008-11-25, 12:17 AM
I like most fruit. Which is to say, off the top of my head I can't think of any fruit I won't eat.

Artificial cherry flavoring is horrible, though. I spent a good portion of my childhood thinking that cherries tasted terrible due to experiencing "cherry" flavored candy before the real thing.

Also, did this thread remind anyone else of Tyrian? Where fruit wasn't just delicious, but one of the most destructive forces in the galaxy?

SDF
2008-11-25, 12:33 AM
Guava is probably my favorite... raspberries, blueberries, legumes, and peas in a pod are all awesome fruits.

Enlong
2008-11-25, 12:40 AM
Pineapple.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Pyrian
2008-11-25, 01:15 AM
I love fruit, with the exception of tomatoes. Only fruit that I don't like. I'm not sure why.Probably because they're not very sweet at all.

I just can't get behind mealy fruit. Apples are a kind that I have particularly bad luck with.Many apples are mealy, but some are deliciously crisp. Your best bet is regular-size gala apples that are reasonably fresh. Sweet, crisp, and just slightly tart, they are my favorite apples. Large (not regular size) red delicious apples that are particularly fresh are also nicely crisp - and very sweet, but basically not tart at all.

Artificial cherry flavoring is horrible, though. I spent a good portion of my childhood thinking that cherries tasted terrible due to experiencing "cherry" flavored candy before the real thing.It's strange, isn't it? I'm the opposite, I love cherry-flavored things but I don't care for actual cherries. This applies even when it's 100% natural, like cherry smoothies made with actual cherries. I don't understand why they taste so much different to the cherries they're made from.

potatocubed
2008-11-25, 02:40 AM
This seems like the ideal thread in which to introduce everyone to a concept I myself was introduced to only a few weeks ago:

The SOLF.

This stands for Small Orange-Like Fruit, and is a helpful term for those of us who can never remember the differences between satsumas and tangerines and nectarines and small oranges and whatever the hell else they're called.

:smalltongue:

dish
2008-11-25, 04:52 AM
This seems like the ideal thread in which to introduce everyone to a concept I myself was introduced to only a few weeks ago:

The SOLF.

This stands for Small Orange-Like Fruit, and is a helpful term for those of us who can never remember the differences between satsumas and tangerines and nectarines and small oranges and whatever the hell else they're called.

:smalltongue:

Nectarines aren't citrus fruit. Nectarines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectarines#Nectarines) are in fact a type of smooth skinned peach.

SOLF are wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. The catch-all name for them is mandarin oranges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_oranges). Satsumas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikan) are the best, because they have no seeds. They're grown in huge quantities in the south of China, and we'll spend the next four months eating them constantly. Tangerine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine) is apparently just another name for a reddish-orange mandarin, so it doesn't have a specific botanical classification. Finally, clementines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine) have a smoother, glossier appearance, but they're the ones I like least.

Edit: I forgot kumquats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumquat). Not my favourite (too many seeds).

Thufir
2008-11-25, 06:51 AM
I usually just refer to them all as satsumas, and eat inordinate amounts of them. I am, Citrus Man! *Eats lemon, activates citrus fruit based superpowers.*

Charity
2008-11-25, 06:55 AM
It should be

SATONSNO not SOLF

Satsumas and those other not so nice ones

Athaniar
2008-11-25, 07:05 AM
I like bananas, but my favorite is the sharon fruit (or persimmon, or whatever you people call it). Mango is also a very tasty fruit, and so is pineapple. And melon. I more or less like most fruits, actually. Tomatos are also good, but I don't count them as fruits, no matter what the scientists say. Oh, and I like dried fruit, too.

Fri
2008-11-25, 07:05 AM
That xkcd is wrong.

Nonono. The thing about that strip is, that strip sparked the BIGGEST debate on xkcd to that point. And considering xkcd's theme and frequenter, that's something.

dish
2008-11-25, 07:30 AM
Nonono. The thing about that strip is, that strip sparked the BIGGEST debate on xkcd to that point. And considering xkcd's theme and frequenter, that's something.

Just shows that everybody has an opinion on fruit.

That xkcd should be made into a fridge-magnet type toy, so that everybody can arrange the fruit to suit their own tastes.

Ashen Lilies
2008-11-25, 07:34 AM
Mmmmm. Fruit. Love apples (but hate hate hate apple juice, unless it's with something else.), like banananananas and oranges (though always found them fiddly, with the peel and seeds and awkward segment thingys that you have to peel off). I'm fond of Mangoes, though am quite particular about ripeness. They have to be just ripe, like literally one second after the last patch of greeness is gone. Before that, it's not sweet enough, after that, it's too squidgy and cloying. :smallyuk:

But I'mma agree with Haruki and throw out my love for coconuts. In fact, I like the juice/water even more than the meat. The best thing ever has to be this one dessert where they lop off the top, scrape the meat off the walls, pour gelatin powder in and chill, so in the end you get coconut juice/water jelly with little scoopings of meat floating around inside. :smallsmile: Luckily I live in an area where such tropical fruits (and seedlike things :smalltongue:) are in abundance. :smallbiggrin: Except for tamarinds, and lychees, and longans, and rambutan, and Rose-apples (not deserving of the name! :smallfurious:), and mangosteen, and to a limited extent Papaya (though they can sometimes be good). Those I can live without. Of course, with that list of locally grown fruit that I hate, I've given fruit experts plenty of information for them to puzzle out my location. :smalleek::smalltongue:

(Wow, that was a big list)

potatocubed
2008-11-25, 07:52 AM
I usually just refer to them all as satsumas, and eat inordinate amounts of them. I am, Citrus Man! *Eats lemon, activates citrus fruit based superpowers.*

Saved by the bouyancy of citrus! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CtLu-buK4I4)

Flame of Anor
2008-11-25, 03:04 PM
I like honeydew better than cantaloupe, strawberries better than blueberries, peach and plum better than mango, apples and oranges about the same, and pineapples and kiwi about the same, though I would like kiwi more if they didn't have those stupid seeds.

TheThan
2008-11-25, 05:30 PM
I love fruit

Strawberries
Cherries
Grapes
All sorts of berries
Apples (the green kind)
Oranges/tangerines (like oranges better)
Peaches
Bananas
Grapefruit
Pineapples
Mangoes on occasion
Watermelon
Plums
Apricots (dried = pure win)
Coconuts

I don’t like:
Pears
Cantaloupe

I like all my fruit ice cold, so cold that it hurts your teeth when you bite into them. dunno I just love it that way, though I’m happy to eat them at room temperature. I also like peanut and banana sandwiches. Other people around here think its weird (I picked it up from my mom

Kneenibble
2008-11-25, 06:23 PM
Eddie Izzard wrote the book on fruit (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hh5a0ucs8kQ), you know.

Lyesmith
2008-11-25, 06:28 PM
Ah, Eddie Izzard.
I'm a granny smith fan mostly, but when it comes to fruit i'll devour anything available. When it comes to fruit i'm an om nom nomnivore (Meme, Awful pun AND a technical innacuracy!)

Kaelaroth
2008-11-25, 06:28 PM
I like fruit. It be good.

Except for lychees, and oranges.

Kneenibble
2008-11-25, 06:36 PM
You never see lychees in this part of the world. Why are they bad?

Terrible, Azapreraphealite. Terrible.

I found a HUGE wild blueberry patch in the woods near my brother's cabin this summer. Ah, les fruit sauvages. Do blueberries grow in the old world? I got so absorbed picking them and picked so many that I got lost and it was almost dark. But they were sooo good.

Tirian
2008-11-25, 06:39 PM
I love fruit, with the exception of tomatoes. Only fruit that I don't like. I'm not sure why.

Probably because they're not very sweet at all.

If you are using the scientific criterion (i.e. "Does it have seeds?"), there are plenty of not-sweet fruit. Cucumbers, green beans, zucchini, bell peppers.

Pyrian
2008-11-25, 08:45 PM
Not my call, really; does Recaiden like those? :smallcool:

Recaiden
2008-11-25, 10:00 PM
Not my call, really; does Recaiden like those? :smallcool:

True. I like zucchini and green beans. Bell peppers and cucumbers are kind of average. Those things tend to be called vegetables though.
Another opinion is that while tasty, the orange is the lowest of the citrus.:smallcool:

Pyrian
2008-11-25, 10:38 PM
Those things tend to be called vegetables though.Well, in the "vernacular" if you will, tomatoes are also typically called vegetables - In particular, I understand they're taxed as such. Mind you, historically, the difference between vegetables and fruits would have been that vegetables would have been considered staples and "fruits" - sweet dessert things, really - would have been considered luxuries.

Another opinion is that while tasty, the orange is the lowest of the citrus.:smallcool:I'm with XKCD on grapefruit. Bleah. :smalltongue:

Eldrys
2008-11-25, 11:21 PM
Okay here are my top 5 fruits

1.grapes
2.pears
3.pomegranets(correct SP?)
4.satsumas(tiny oranges)
5.strawberries

I lied top 6
6.blackberries

I mean top 7
7.rasberries

Ash08
2008-11-25, 11:25 PM
I love pomogrants first and formost. Then followed by blackberries of the wild varity. I also love pineapple, coconuts and mangos!

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-11-25, 11:55 PM
Bananas aren't really fruits, they're technically herbs.

From AskOxford.com (http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutother/banana):

Is a banana a fruit or a herb?

Both. A banana (the yellow thing you peel and eat) is undoubtedly a fruit (containing the seeds of the plant: see answer regarding tomatoes), though since commercially grown banana plants are sterile, the seeds are reduced to little specks. However, the banana plant, though it is called a 'banana-tree' in popular usage, is technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or 'herb'), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue.

Anyway, while I don't usually eat bananas, I like banana bread and banana muffins.

Some of my favorite fruits are strawberries, cherries (real ones, not the kind they put on sundaes :smallyuk:), and pineapple.

Aystra
2008-11-26, 01:33 AM
I love apples. pears, strawberries, and green grapes. Actually, all fruit is good as long as it's ripe and sweet.

Jokerz
2008-11-26, 02:30 AM
persimmons and pomengranates. Seriously.

Alarra
2008-11-26, 02:31 AM
Huh....that xkcd is actually pretty close to where I would put most fruits, except that I like grapefruit, and don't like blueberries.

I'm a fruit person. I love fruit, nearly every fruit.

favorites?
pineapple, strawberry, nectarine, plum, kiwi, grape, pear, cherry, granny smith apple, orange

dislike?
anything raspberry, unless it's the actual fruit. Anything mango except the actual fruit (eww mango juice), blueberries, honey dew melon, watermelon, all other apples

bananas are okay, as are cantelope, and most other fruits that I've neglected to name. Coconut flavor is great, and if it's toasted is okay, otherwise I can't stand the texture.

KKL
2008-11-26, 03:05 AM
When the flea market near where I live sells oranges for what I consider cheap, I buy them. In pounds. Have you ever carries around around ten pounds of oranges for like a mile?

It's brutal. But oranges are just so damn good.

And mangos too. I'm not a fan of apples though. Biting into one makes this sound I can't stand at all, and it makes me cringe.

I also like other fruits but at the moment I can't think of the other ones reasonably well, and I'm juggling a few things.

Athaniar
2008-11-26, 03:06 AM
I like all my fruit ice cold, so cold that it hurts your teeth when you bite into them.

I actually get an uncomfortable feeling in my teeth just by reading this.

Krytha
2008-11-26, 08:42 AM
I went camping back in August or something and we camped on an island in the middle of the lake. This island was COVERED in wild blueberries. My god they taste so much better than the store bought ones and you can spend all day just picking and eating them. MMMMM if only mangoes were that easy to eat.

Incidentally, I'm big on fruit flavours too. Except for the fruits I dislike normally anyway.

mangosta71
2008-11-26, 10:47 AM
Anything mango except the actual fruit (eww mango juice)
Coconut flavor is great, and if it's toasted is okay, otherwise I can't stand the texture.

My first exposure to a mango drink was in a lovely little Greek restaurant. It was actual mango, pulp and all, in liquid form. As good as the lamb and rice were, the drink alone made it one of the best meals I've ever eaten.

And my take on coconut is the same. Flavor isn't bad, but the texture makes me gag.

Kneenibble
2008-11-26, 12:28 PM
The water and jelly of a young coconut, freshly hacked open by the black iron machete of a street vendor, is the most refreshing thing possible on a hot, thirsty, south Indian day. Its flavour and texture is about as far away from the forms of coconut you can buy in Canada as the countries are. It's a sweet thing that grows on a tree, so let us use the vernacular and call it a fruit, by Jove.