PDA

View Full Version : the world of dreams

starburst98
2008-11-24, 12:08 PM
after we finished playing i asked my DM if i could buy anything between games and he told me that it's kinda hard to buy stuff when you are asleep. to which i responded "what if i get buy it from the dream-world" he gave me a joke answer "you don't have money in the dream-world".

this of course leads to my idea of a dual-world made from the waking world and dream-world. in it, most people dream within a protected "dream bubble" inside the person has absolute power like normal, but what about outside? what is between the dreams of men? this is where your party comes in, you are a group that has left their bubble's and walk the dream-scape. the ability to leave your dream is not special to you though, anyone can do it if they REALLY wanted to but most don't. if you have a telepathic bond with something you can appear next to each other in the dream world, be this through the spell or if you are wearing a helm of telepathy, so long as you have it when you fall asleep, if not, even if you are right next to each other when you go to sleep, you could end up miles away in the dream. (the demand for helms of telepathy this has caused has made wizards find more efficient ways of making them, base price is only 10,000 but only the communication part works in these cheaper ones, normal ones cost full price and have the other power.)

thoughts?

Primal Fury
2008-11-24, 03:36 PM
Well. If you really want to deal with dreams like that, I suggest picking up a copy of Dreamwalker Revised. Not only does it include mechanics for what you described, but the magic of dreams as well. It has new monsters, abilities, feats, and even a few prestige classes (though most of their abilities are either lack-luster, or only availabe in dreams.) You may also want to check out the class I made based off of that. (Yes, shameless self promotion :smalltongue:)

And don't worry, it's actually free on the DriveThruRpg website.

Hope that helps. :smallbiggrin:

vegetalss4
2008-11-24, 04:01 PM
whats between the dreams of men?
Dal Quor of course:smallwink:
well unless you aren't playing Eberron, if that is the case i have two things to say
first: that seem like a fun way to handle it
second: you should seriusly consider to begin playing in Eberron:smallbiggrin:

horngeek
2008-11-24, 04:33 PM
WORLD OF DREAMS

Ref: Tel'aran'rhiod- trans. world of dreams/unseen world
It is in the Wheel of Time series, and is a world running parallel to, or maybe around, the various 'alternate worlds' of the the Pattern. It reflects all of these worlds, and is only accessible in three ways while sleeping:

It can be touched normally, in one's dreams.
It can be touched by the use of special items.
People with the Talent of Dreamwalking (capitalisation intentional) can touch it, and can also see into other people's dreams.

It is also possible to enter it physically, but this is believed to be evil by the Wise Ones of the Aiel (who are the most experienced Dreamers), as you lose part of what makes you human each time. However, it has a massive increase in control over the World of Dreams, including gravity manipulation and unravelling gravity.

In all cases, what happens in Tel'aran'rhiod is real when you wake (or exit). If you have been injures in the Unseen World, the wounds remain upon waking. If you die, you never wake, and some believe you are dead forever (normally you are reborn).

Tel'aran'rhiod is malleable in the same way that real dreams are malleable. For example, I could adjust my clothing, or indeed my appearence to suit myself (although self-control is necessary to maintain this). In the World of Dreams, you can fly, step a thousand miles with a single step, or even think of a place and be there. The possibilities are endless, but there is the danger of never waking. For this reason, the Wise Ones do not allow untrained Dreamers into Ter'aran'rhiod if they can at all help it.

On entering other's dreams, it is described as a starfield, with each star being a dream. Dreamers can look into these dreams, but the dreamer (non-capitalised) has control within his or her own dream, and if the Dreamer (talent) loses control, they will not be able to leave until they wake, becoming what they are in the dream. With especially strong emotions of love or hate, you can be pulled in to the dream of one you watch, and if the emotions are so strong there is room for nothing else, you can be pulled in even if you do not try to watch.

Hope this helps. It is from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and Ter'aran'rhiod plays a major role.