PDA

View Full Version : Magna Carta: Tears of Blood

Another_Poet
2008-11-24, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone.

Well, in my ongoing search for PS2 games I recently purchased Magna Carta used. I almost put it back because I knew how the wife would feel about the cover art, but then I looked through the manual inside. I got the warm fuzzies like I was looking at an old-fashioned RPG with characters I could care about and plot I'll get lost in. So, I bought it. (Also got Tales of the Abyss for her, but that's a different story).

Anyhow, I got started and found that the FFXII-quality graphics & sound are everything I hoped for. The dialogue isn't annoying and the plot works. Cool.

But the battle system. O, no no no -- Atlus, you didn't put a battle speed setting anywhere? My 2nd and 3rd characters can't act automatically while I control the 1st character? You programmed 2-3 catch phrases for each character the sound every time they act?????? Die!!!!!!

Seriously, what is it with RPG programmers? Why can't they get it through their heads that THERE NEEDS TO BE A BATTLE SPEED SETTING. This combat system is nothing but clunk. You have characters and enemies standing around on screen waiting to charge up, just staring at each other doing nothing - no one flagged this as capital-B-boring during design or playtest? And we really need a 4 second "channelling chi" animation before every single ally and anemy action in the whole game? Psssshhh, give me a break.

Anyway, am I judging this game too early? Does the battling pick up somehow? Is there something I'm overlooking?

Maybe I'm just picky....

ap