PDA

View Full Version : Last Exile [Spoilers]

Athaniar
2008-11-24, 03:50 PM
So I just finished watching this anime series last night, and I have to say I really liked it. So, anyone else watched it and has an opinion of it, or just something to say?

Innis Cabal
2008-11-24, 03:52 PM
The ending lacked Umph. Not a surprise as alot of anime are like that but a good series over all. Some parts were just silly and needless, but again you'll have that.

AgentPaper
2008-11-24, 04:05 PM
I agree that the ending was a bit lacking, but over it's for sure one of my favorite anime of all time. I love the style, the setting, and the characters. Yes, even the "That's a guy?!" types. (Though not because they're so effeminate)

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-24, 04:06 PM
We were discussing Last Exile over on GAD3 (here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94218&page=16 and http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94218&page=8) before some people decieded to discuss some crummy Gundam series.

Dr. Bath
2008-11-24, 04:13 PM
I thought it was really good, but yet again agree that the ending wasn't all that. Loved the little goat doll. I want one...

Athaniar
2008-11-24, 04:50 PM
What was wrong with the ending, exactly? I liked it.

Also, I agree that a Last Exile RTS would be a great idea.

Or, for that matter, what about a Last Exile d20? Is it something that would be plausible?

Innis Cabal
2008-11-24, 04:54 PM
Steam and Sorcery would be good to do with a D20.

As for the ending, nothing was wrong with it. It was just very..well....underwhelming.

Fri
2008-11-24, 10:44 PM
What's not to like from big steampunk airship with ram and giant chainsaw, and musketeers shooting each other line to line from airship side?

Innis Cabal
2008-11-24, 10:46 PM
Nothing. All thats amazing. How they wrapped it up just didn't match the rest of the awsome.

Poison_Fish
2008-11-25, 01:35 AM
I've already complained about the main male lead being rather annoying as a character to me. He struck me as far to passive.

Oslecamo
2008-11-25, 05:44 AM
I've already complained about the main male lead being rather annoying as a character to me. He struck me as far to passive.

Too passive?

He freaking jumps inside a fighter at the first oportunity, and then enters "moar dakka" mode, fearlessly shooting the enemy mechas.

He gets to make out with the princess.

He participates in all air races he can.

He leads the attack on the massive giant tentacle monster.

What, you expected him to grab a sword and charge head on the enemy fleets, proceeding to cut them in pieces whitout any kind of effort?

BRC
2008-11-25, 09:24 AM
It was good, but it needed more dogfights, and more ship-to-ship combat.

Thiel
2008-11-25, 09:27 AM
I liked it. It's not the best anime I've seen, but the setting is cool and the airships are badass. The ending was a bit of a disappointment, but that seems to be fairly typical for anime. (I'm looking at you FMA)

SuperMuldoon
2008-11-25, 09:28 AM
I pretty much agree with whats been said, great series, though the ending wasn't as exciting as the rest of the show. The visuals were gorgeous though, and the races and battles awesome. Also had great characters!

Athaniar
2008-11-25, 02:26 PM
I don't get it, what exactly was disappointing about the ending?

GoC
2008-11-25, 03:01 PM

I hated him and the ending but thought that overall the show was ok.

Poison_Fish
2008-11-25, 04:47 PM
Too passive?

He freaking jumps inside a fighter at the first oportunity, and then enters "moar dakka" mode, fearlessly shooting the enemy mechas.

He gets to make out with the princess.

He participates in all air races he can.

He leads the attack on the massive giant tentacle monster.

What, you expected him to grab a sword and charge head on the enemy fleets, proceeding to cut them in pieces whitout any kind of effort?

More like: "I guess.. I'll protect the little girl. I mean, I'd be a total jerk leaving her"

And don't get me started with the princess kissing. She comes out of nowhere and does it. There was no good reason behind it, nothing to lead up to it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Last Exile. I just find I have a few problems with it.

Oslecamo
2008-11-25, 05:45 PM
More like: "I guess.. I'll protect the little girl. I mean, I'd be a total jerk leaving her"

And don't get me started with the princess kissing. She comes out of nowhere and does it. There was no good reason behind it, nothing to lead up to it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Last Exile. I just find I have a few problems with it.

I just wanted to say that in my vision the main character is pretty brave for a boy of that age.

EDIT:

Lord Xavius: I think people were expecting moar explosions, and also nobody really understands what the hell the last exile was after all, who built it or what it was doing there.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-25, 06:41 PM
Lord Xavius: I think people were expecting moar explosions, and also nobody really understands what the hell the last exile was after all, who built it or what it was doing there.

It was a colony ship from earth.

Come on, its the third most common sci-fi plot twist next to "it was caused by the hero going back in time" and "some aliens were good guys after all".

GoC
2008-11-25, 06:57 PM
It was a colony ship from earth.

Come on, its the third most common sci-fi plot twist next to "it was caused by the hero going back in time" and "some aliens were good guys after all".

I've still got 101 questions about the guild and how the heck the grand stream is formed and manages to completely seperate two countries. Which also appear to be the only ones in the world...
Hence Earth must be very small in the series. So many questions!:smallmad:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-25, 07:00 PM
I've still got 101 questions about the guild and how the heck the grand stream is formed and manages to completely seperate two countries. Which also appear to be the only ones in the world...
Hence Earth must be very small in the series. So many questions!:smallmad:

The world is actually 2 conclave miniplanets facing each other, with the Grand Stream in between them in an hour glass shape. In the final episode, you can see one planet in the sky of the other.

I may look clever but I needed Wikipedia to explain that to me.

Innis Cabal
2008-11-25, 07:04 PM
As for the ending, nothing was wrong with it. It was just very..well....underwhelming.

It just failed to keep up with the rest of the series awsome.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-25, 07:12 PM
I've still got 101 questions about the guild

They're just hogging all of the advanced technology from earth because they believe in aristocracy.

Athaniar
2008-11-26, 03:25 AM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Exile) may have some answers to your questions. Otherwise, just ask them here and see if any of us have any answers.

I have a question, by the way: those with pointy ears (Guild, mostly), are they supposed to be a separate race/species or something? Elves?

Oh, and I better add a [Spoiler] tag to this thread.

Also, a live action adaption? I sure hope this is still in the works.

The Evil Thing
2008-11-26, 04:58 AM
Also, a live action adaption? I sure hope this is still in the works.
I don't. Part of the charm of the series for me was the... ah... "artistic" art style and making it live action would lose that. I'd much rather have an OVA or two.

I mean it, the visuals are absolutely gorgeous.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-26, 05:52 AM
I have a question, by the way: those with pointy ears (Guild, mostly), are they supposed to be a separate race/species or something? Elves?

I doubt it. There are plenty of anime where characters have pointy ears for no reason and anime elves tend to have seriously pointy ears. The Guild are probably just inbred humans wearing makeup.

late for dinner
2008-11-26, 09:09 AM
I loved this show and if I ever ran a d20 campaign, I would run it in this setting...I do agree with the majority in this thread that the ending, while good, still didnt seem to be what it could have been...My favorite part in the entire show, besides the air naval ship to ship revolutionary war combat was the air race. (actually both of them were great, but the second one was the best...I cant remember where it took place, but it was huge.) Definitly would like to see more anime in that style...are there anymore? I know there is one with actual fighter jets, but I was more looking for maybe a WWI bi-plain anime of some sorts...

GoC
2008-11-27, 08:12 PM
The world is actually 2 conclave miniplanets facing each other, with the Grand Stream in between them in an hour glass shape. In the final episode, you can see one planet in the sky of the other.

I may look clever but I needed Wikipedia to explain that to me.

I can see a vague thing that could be a reflection at 5:24 (http://get-anime.net/last-exile-episode-26) and at 8:39 (http://get-anime.net/last-exile-episode-26) (both in part 2) you see a very weird black hourglass thing that can in no way be a planet.

As for questions...
Tell me about the ship? How does guild society work? How was it formed? How technologicaly advanced are they? How did they build all those ships?

Innis Cabal
2008-11-27, 08:14 PM
They never tell you.

Thiel
2008-11-27, 08:19 PM
They never tell you.

And it's bloody annoying.

Innis Cabal
2008-11-27, 08:21 PM
It had alot of room to be awsome. And alot of room to be one of the best anime produced.

They should have taken the money Gonzo gave them(And it was....alot) and made it a longer series.

Thiel
2008-11-27, 08:29 PM
I don't know. I think the plot would have to be a lot stronger/different before it could carry any more episodes.

Innis Cabal
2008-11-27, 08:34 PM
It was rushed, greatly.

Gonzo has...a very big tendancy to leave out a good chuck of things relelvent to the story. Like in Origins...a good 40 minutes of that movie was...just bloody missing.

Texas_Ben
2008-11-27, 08:43 PM
I can see a vague thing that could be a reflection at 5:24 (http://get-anime.net/last-exile-episode-26) and at 8:39 (http://get-anime.net/last-exile-episode-26) (both in part 2) you see a very weird black hourglass thing that can in no way be a planet.

As for questions...
Tell me about the ship? How does guild society work? How was it formed? How technologicaly advanced are they? How did they build all those ships?
The idea is that the whole double-planet appears to be populated with colonists from earth who arrived in Exile (that was what the ship was called right? The one floating around in the Grand Stream?). Then the vast majority of them settled in Anatoray or Disith, and gradually forgot their origins and regressed technologically to the point seen in the series. Those that did not regress technologically and apparently chose to hang out in the grand stream similarly forgot their origins but also did not regress technologically, and eventually became the guild.

I thought it was all perfectly obvious, though they never came out and explicitly said it, to me it was very clear that that was what happened.

What I am not so sure of is whether the double-planet type thing that they are inhabiting is itself an artificial construct (which would seem to be indicated by the fact that large segments of land are held up by obviously artificial girders) or whether it was simply a natural structure that they settled and/or terraformed (Terraforming might be indicated by the fact that the guild is responsible for maintaining climate... when they neglect this duty, it gets all wonky like seen in the show).

Innis Cabal
2008-11-27, 08:46 PM
Its not a double planet, the whole planet is hour glass shaped, so the two hemisphere's are seperated.

There are alot of clues about it, on maps, and things like that

GoC
2008-11-27, 09:27 PM
The idea is that the whole double-planet appears to be populated with colonists from earth who arrived in Exile (that was what the ship was called right? The one floating around in the Grand Stream?). Then the vast majority of them settled in Anatoray or Disith, and gradually forgot their origins and regressed technologically to the point seen in the series. Those that did not regress technologically and apparently chose to hang out in the grand stream similarly forgot their origins but also did not regress technologically, and eventually became the guild.
There is simply now way that could be a planet! It is far more likely it's simply part of the display on Exile's console. Seriously, a "planet" with that shape, that's somehow black despite the fact it should look kindof green/brown/white with wierd green glyphs racing round the planet at almost a hundred thousand miles an hour? Far more likely a console interface of some sort.

I thought it was all perfectly obvious, though they never came out and explicitly said it, to me it was very clear that that was what happened.
It looks obvious to you because you didn't want to/couldn't see/didn't mind all the inconsistencies and wierd things that result from that being a planet.

Any answers to all my other questions? Or more plausable (less vague) answers to these?

Innis Cabal
2008-11-27, 09:33 PM
There is simply now way that could be a planet! It is far more likely it's simply part of the display on Exile's console. Seriously, a "planet" with that shape, that's somehow black despite the fact it should look kindof green/brown/white with wierd green glyphs racing round the planet at almost a hundred thousand miles an hour? Far more likely a console interface of some sort.

It looks obvious to you because you didn't want to/couldn't see/didn't mind all the inconsistencies and wierd things that result from that being a planet.

Any answers to all my other questions? Or more plausable (less vague) answers to these?

1. Its an anime. They can do what ever they want to show a planet. It could be spiral shaped.

2. The creatore shave said it is an hourglass shaped planet. There is proof all over the anime. They say where.

3. There are no other answers to your questions. They never divulge that information.

Fri
2008-11-29, 03:19 PM
well, according to wikipedia

As the series starts, it is difficult to understand how the two lands of Anatoray and Disith can only be traveled between by flying high into the sky, entering the Grand Stream, and flying through a bottle-like hurricane out to the other side. In the last episode, when the great vessel Exile is finally found and used to dissipate the Grand Stream, we see that the planet itself is actually two smaller planets joined together into an hourglass shape, with each world facing the other. Once the skies are clear, anyone standing on the surface of either land can look up and faintly see the landscape of the other.

So it IS two planet, but somehow have joined atmosphere. On the ending, they split up the joined atmosphere thing. Maybe. It's been a while, and I can't really sure.

Yes, this is a great series, but when you can only understand things after looking for it in the internet that means something is missing.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-29, 03:39 PM
Yes, this is a great series, but when you can only understand things after looking for it in the internet that means something is missing.

Or maybe the fact that the world is screwed up and nonsensical is redundant to the actual story telling and never needed to be explained?

Fri
2008-11-29, 03:58 PM
Well, maybe you're right. Not every story need to be Lord of the Ring. But still, after finishing it, I can only (really) understand the series after reading about it on the internet.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-29, 04:38 PM
Well, maybe you're right. Not every story need to be Lord of the Ring. But still, after finishing it, I can only (really) understand the series after reading about it on the internet.

I understood the story fine, even though I needed the internet to explain a lot of the details.

I think, on its original release in Japanese television, there was in fact a website that provided background material.

Innis Cabal
2008-11-29, 07:22 PM
That still means something is missing in the actual anime.

Its not like Gonzo hasn't done this before, or after really.

GoC
2008-11-30, 03:19 AM
1. Its an anime. They can do what ever they want to show a planet. It could be spiral shaped.
So it being anime means it doesn't have to make sense?:smalltongue:

2. The creatore shave said it is an hourglass shaped planet. There is proof all over the anime. They say where.
All over?
I've seen two instances. Both can be explained.