PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a spell... [3.5]

Valentein
2008-11-24, 04:48 PM
In my game, one of my players is playing an unaware Feytouched. The party is going to face up against a cleric foe, and I'm looking for a spell that could help to "out" him.

The criteria I'm looking for, if at all possible:
- Area-of-effect
- Only affects humanoids or, alternatively, does not affect fey
- Cleric spell

Core, non-core, homebrew, doesn't matter. Looking for anything that helps.

Thanks!

AmberVael
2008-11-24, 04:54 PM
What level?

Hold Person (2nd level spell) could work, though it is a target spell.
Other than that... I'm having a hard time finding anything.

AKA_Bait
2008-11-24, 05:02 PM
Well, since you said Homebrew is ok:

Glamor of the Mortal's Doom
Evocation
Level: Cleric 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous (1d4 rounds); see text
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

You call up eldrich power to smite your mortal enemies. The power takes the form of a fog which sparkles and glitters in slightly disturbing ways.

Only Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids are harmed by the spell.

The spell deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) to a humanoid creature and causes it to be sickened for 1d4 rounds. A successful Will save reduces damage to half and negates the sickened effect. The effects cannot be negated by remove disease or heal, but remove curse is effective.

The spell deals only half damage to monstrous humanoids, and they are not sickened. Such a creature can reduce the damage in half again (down to one-quarter) with a successful Will save.

AmberVael
2008-11-24, 05:05 PM
^: Oooo. I like that. It would work out really well for demons and those kind of creatures.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-24, 05:08 PM
Possible idea. Use a misphrased Warding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphofWarding.htm) where "no man nor beast that does not serve [cleric's god] shall pass" or similar. Without knowing your party and their situation, I can't write it, but it could work.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-24, 05:24 PM
You could use (DMM) Chain Spell with Hold Person, Charm Person, or similar targeted spells that only affect humanoids.

Valentein
2008-11-24, 05:32 PM
Glamor of the Mortal's Doom

Emphatic yes, that's exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks!

AKA_Bait
2008-11-24, 05:38 PM
Emphatic yes, that's exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks!

No problem.

I've found that when you need to homebrew on the fly, look for something that already exists and is similar to what you want. Then just tweak the little things to get it just right. In this case I started with Unholy Blight, changed it to effect types rather than alignments, rewrote the fluff a little to make it feyish, deleted the bit about outsiders, slapped a new name on the sucker and viola! New Spell!