PDA

View Full Version : Question on 3.5 Dopplegangers

Black Mage
2008-11-24, 05:04 PM
Is it possible for a Doppleganger to mix forms? For example, looking like Generic Human A, but adding the wings of a Half-Celestial that he has seen?

AmberVael
2008-11-24, 05:10 PM
Is it possible for a Doppleganger to mix forms? For example, looking like Generic Human A, but adding the wings of a Half-Celestial that he has seen?

A half-celestial is not a humanoid, so no. However, to address the intent of the question...

A doppelganger can assume ANY small or medium humanoid form. It doesn't even have to be someone they have seen.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-24, 05:12 PM
I'd allow it to apply Templates, but no more than that. It shouldn't be able to take every trait of an Outsider except the type, after all. and BTW, there is in fact a Winged Template.

Jasdoif
2008-11-24, 05:13 PM
I'd allow it to apply Templates, but no more than that. It shouldn't be able to take every trait of an Outsider except the type, after all. and BTW, there is in fact a Winged Template.Interestingly enough, the section about Change Shape abilities (like the one a doppelganger uses) specifically disallows it to be used to take the form of a creature with a template.

Black Mage
2008-11-24, 05:14 PM
Ah, yeah, forgot about the whole Outsider thing...so we can replace Half-Celestial with Winged...Dwarf...just for giggles. Thanks ^_^ That's all I needed to know.

hamishspence
2008-11-24, 05:15 PM
the protean from Epic Handbook is a shapechanger which can change different parts of its body into bits of different creatures.

Dopplegangers shouldn't be able to go that far. However Raptorans, Avarials, Araakroca, etc are all winged humanoids.

Wabbajack
2008-11-24, 05:17 PM
Aren't there winged elves in forgotten realms?

hamishspence
2008-11-24, 05:19 PM
Yes, called Avariels. Araakrocas- birdmen of faerun. Raptorans- slightly more human in looks, need to be at least 9 HD to be capable of flight, not gliding- Races of the Wild.

EDIT: Sorry, ignore araakrocas- monstrous humanoids. The other two are humanoid though.