PDA

View Full Version : Breathing in smoke?

shadow_archmagi
2008-11-24, 08:17 PM
So, my pyrokineticist player recently realized he'll be choking and collapsing if he tries to stay in a building while it burns.

Suggestions on avoiding that, suggestions a level 5 player can afford?

Prometheus
2008-11-24, 09:39 PM
Gust of Wind is the popular favorite for removing unpleasant air, that is, assuming you have an arcane friend to help you.
Bottle of Air (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bottleofAir) is a sure-fire fix, but may be a little expensive.
You can also hold your breath rounds equal to twice your Constitution score, which might be enough for your purposes.

Jasdoif
2008-11-24, 10:22 PM
Bottle of Air (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bottleofAir) is a sure-fire fix, but may be a little expensive.Yeah, if it wasn't for the price tag (over half of a level 5 char's WBL), a bottle of air would be the easy choice.

The only less expensive option I can come up with, is a potion of water breathing (750gp) and carrying a bucket of water with you to breath out of. The potion's effect will last for ten hours, so that should be sufficient for a building to be reduced to smoldering embers.

bosssmiley
2008-11-25, 05:09 AM
So, my pyrokineticist player recently realized he'll be choking and collapsing if he tries to stay in a building while it burns.

Suggestions on avoiding that, suggestions a level 5 player can afford?

Stand outside. :smallamused:

Serious head on: soaked cloth over the mouth should give you a +2 to Fort saves against smoke inhalation for a few rounds.

Fizban
2008-11-25, 03:03 PM
The item you're looking for is the Necklace of Adaptation, costs 9,000gp. Ignore all gaseous hazards, breathe underwater and in a vaccum.

Jasdoif
2008-11-25, 03:05 PM
The item you're looking for is the Necklace of Adaptation, costs 9,000gp. Ignore all gaseous hazards, breathe underwater and in a vaccum.And will bankrupt a level 5 character.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-25, 03:07 PM
be a warforged?

revolver kobold
2008-11-25, 07:39 PM
In either Complete Arcane or Complete Mage, there is a 100 gold item that is like an alchemical gas mask, and lasts for 1 hour. A few of them should tide you over until you can afford a more expensive and permanent solution.

Starsinger
2008-11-25, 07:43 PM
Stand outside. :smallamused:

I second this, why in the Gray Wastes of Hades is he standing inside of a burning building?

Moff Chumley
2008-11-25, 07:44 PM
Either ^, or just homebrew something.

Iku Rex
2008-11-25, 07:54 PM
Mask of Sweet Air (MIC 116, 2000). "You can breathe freely in air fouled by smoke, dust, and fumes without fear of suffocation."

Cheaper solution: Air plant from Stormwrack. 25 gp, provides fresh air for 5 minutes.

Tengu_temp
2008-11-25, 08:13 PM
I second this, why in the Gray Wastes of Hades is he standing inside of a burning building?

I suspect hilarious misreading of the prestige class prerequesites.

Starsinger
2008-11-25, 08:27 PM
I suspect hilarious misreading of the prestige class prerequesites.

I thought that for a moment, but I chose to have some amount of faith in humanity and assume he knew you didn't have to be inside.

nc-edsl
2008-11-25, 10:16 PM
A Bag of Holding and a straw would give him 10 minutes, and he'd still be able to use the bag for other stuff.

Actually, he could probably survive with just the straw. Smoke rises, so during most fires there's a cushion of breathable air underneath the smoke. If the player had a properly sized breathing tube then he could just let the other end of it dangle a few inches from the floor and he'd be fine. (He could also get down on his hands and knees, but that'd limit his movement/combat options.)

Leewei
2008-11-26, 12:56 AM
Assuming smoke inhalation is a poison effect, get some alchemical antitoxin. A potion of delay poison would let you postpone the inhalation effects until a later casting of neutralize poison was available.

Mastikator
2008-11-26, 01:04 AM
You can survive in smoke without oxygen for your con score numbers of rounds. (holding breath under water rule)
Lizardfolk get x4 number of rounds.

Actually more. Being under water causes you to consume more air. So I'd say you can survive for your con score +2. If not more.

Or you can keep your head to the ground, it works at least in the begining. But don't stay too long though.

BobVosh
2008-11-26, 01:43 AM
Sleep with a wizard/artificier until he starts giving you gifts. Get a ring of sustance. Win.

NEO|Phyte
2008-11-26, 02:05 AM
Sleep with a wizard/artificier until he starts giving you gifts. Get a ring of sustance. Win.

Uh, you still need to breathe with a ring of sustenance on.

Thurbane
2008-11-26, 02:05 AM
The only less expensive option I can come up with, is a potion of water breathing (750gp) and carrying a bucket of water with you to breath out of. The potion's effect will last for ten hours, so that should be sufficient for a building to be reduced to smoldering embers.
That may simultaneously be the silliest and most brilliant thing I've ever read! :smallbiggrin:

Fizban
2008-11-26, 02:39 AM
And will bankrupt a level 5 character.

*Facepalm*

Right, so in that case, you need one of the various alchemical solutions. They're scattered across more books than I care to search at the moment. The air plant mentioned above is an option, there are two different gas mask/"alchemical air supply" versions (one of which is crazy expensive and the other absurdly cheap). There's clearbreath in one of the skill based character books, which gives you some extra air time. I think the Arms and Equipment guide has a couple different options.

BobVosh
2008-11-26, 02:41 AM
Uh, you still need to breathe with a ring of sustenance on.

Coulda sworn you didn't. This is what happens when you post where you can't do a quick SRD check. Stupid blocked sites at work

Killersquid
2008-11-26, 05:40 AM
Assuming smoke inhalation is a poison effect, get some alchemical antitoxin. A potion of delay poison would let you postpone the inhalation effects until a later casting of neutralize poison was available.

It isn't though, breathing smoke falls under suffocation rules I think.

shadow_archmagi
2008-11-26, 06:31 AM

Actually, I havn't mentioned the prerequisite of burning down a building to him yet. He just wants to be able to really revel in fire, and dance in it and such, since he's got enough fire resistance to not have to worry.

Mask of sweet air it is!