PDA

View Full Version : What is best in life?

evileeyore
2008-11-24, 08:49 PM
To crush your enemies, pile their bodies at your feet, and make out with their woman-folk!

Belker is the new Hero! And his actions are completely in line with the Norse Gods way of doing business, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cleric of Loki travelled with them out of Greysky City.

Manoftyr
2008-11-24, 08:56 PM
Belkar is the man, he deserves nothing less than ascension to godhood at this point.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-24, 09:41 PM
I have to say it was everything I was hoping for and more. Go Sexy Shoeless God of War!!!

Also, the cleric of Loki is doing pretty good as his sidekick. He gets brownie points just for being in the same panel as the Belkster.

Liwen
2008-11-24, 10:23 PM
Anyone feels it's a bit, just a little bit, odd that the lastest killing spree has made just about everyone around here happy? Do we like violence that much. We are nothing but a barbaric race of mindless brutes who hide behind the mask of civilisation!

And yet, I don'y see anything wrong with it...

Belkar just pwned 19 years of moral ethical living that was my life.
I'm swiching to Evil right now :smalltongue:

Jayngfet
2008-11-24, 10:31 PM
Anyone feels it's a bit, just a little bit, odd that the lastest killing spree has made just about everyone around here happy? Do we like violence that much. We are nothing but a barbaric race of mindless brutes who hide behind the mask of civilisation!

Not unless we lost a half a dozen int points, move underground, and start reading Ed Greenwood.

chiasaur11
2008-11-24, 10:32 PM

And yet, I don'y see anything wrong with it...

Belkar just pwned 19 years of moral ethical living that was my life.
I'm swiching to Evil right now :smalltongue:

This was self defense. I mean, just because the Belkster is PURE EVIL, that doesn't mean his every action is evil. I mean, they were planning on killing a guy they thought defenseless. Heck, Death's lil' helper, by comparison to his usual standards, was downright chivalrous.

Liwen
2008-11-24, 10:44 PM
Maybe, but have you seen the panel where he cut three people in a row?

A chevalresque knight wouldn't enjoy it like Belkar. A paladin probably would have try to found a way to defeat them all without killing them. This was a carnage in every sense of the word.

Corwin Weber
2008-11-24, 11:14 PM
To crush your enemies, pile their bodies at your feet, and make out with their woman-folk!

Belker is the new Hero! And his actions are completely in line with the Norse Gods way of doing business, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cleric of Loki travelled with them out of Greysky City.

Durkon might or might not have a problem with that. We really haven't seen much about the relations between Thor's and Loki's worshippers in the comic. For that matter while we've seen Thor and Loki fighting, we've also seen them in more friendly situations.

Their worshippers might be bitter enemies or they might show each other some respect. Kinda tough to say because we really don't have any examples. (Remember, Durkon didn't actually realize Hylga was a priestess of Loki... so that one doesn't count.)

chiasaur11
2008-11-24, 11:14 PM

A chevalresque knight wouldn't enjoy it like Belkar. A paladin probably would have try to found a way to defeat them all without killing them. This was a carnage in every sense of the word.

I wasn't saying it was paladinny. Just that it wasn't evil. I mean, if you don't have options, it's just as well to enjoy your work.

Corwin Weber
2008-11-24, 11:24 PM

Erm......

....I mean have you heard some of the stories out of the Crusades? Not exactly a shining moment in western history.

....or middle eastern for that matter. Most of the muslim armies really weren't any better.

Quorothorn
2008-11-24, 11:34 PM

Darn you, Evileeyore; you made the topic I was planning to make! :smallamused:

Swashbuckler
2008-11-24, 11:41 PM
It's not about the Crusades, Corwin. It's about D&D paladins. Leave RL out of it.

And that being said, "carnage in every sense of the word" was really, really darned satisfying. You've got to be rooting for Belkar right now, whether you love him or hate him. Why?

'Cause he's the only thing nearby capable of saving Haley and Celia.

I. Love. It. :smallbiggrin:

Keep it up, Giant!

elliott20
2008-11-24, 11:43 PM
*sniff* I've been waiting for this moment for a long time... *sniff* I promised myself I wouldn't cry~... oh geez!!! *a single tear rolls down his cheek*

belkar is performing his unfettered, unrestrained killing skills again!

Wadoka
2008-11-24, 11:47 PM
Belkar just pwned 19 years of moral ethical living that was my life. I'm swiching to Evil right now :smalltongue:

You sure you want to do that? You'll lose... what... all the experience points to put you back at halfway to your next level.

Or am I dating myself and alignment change no longer dings XP?

:smallsmile:

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-11-25, 12:00 AM

Now they will know why they are afraid of the short. Now they learn why they fear my lack of height.

elliott20
2008-11-25, 12:01 AM
You sure you want to do that? You'll lose... what... all the experience points to put you back at halfway to your next level.

Or am I dating myself and alignment change no longer dings XP?

:smallsmile:

dammit grandpa! you don't remember what it's like to be my age!

Pronounceable
2008-11-25, 02:35 AM
Hot water, good dental and soft lavatory paper.

factotum
2008-11-25, 03:44 AM
Their worshippers might be bitter enemies or they might show each other some respect. Kinda tough to say because we really don't have any examples. (Remember, Durkon didn't actually realize Hylga was a priestess of Loki... so that one doesn't count.)

There's a point where Hilgya cows the fire beings in the name of Loki, and Durkon turns to the "camera" and says (approximately) "I feel that if I had a few more ranks in Knowledge (Religion) I'd be more worried about all this." Suggests to me that clerics of Thor and of Loki don't normally hang out with each other. Mind you, it also implies that they barely acknowledge each other's existence, or else Durkon would surely have heard of Loki before that point!

evileeyore
2008-11-25, 04:50 AM
Darn you, Evileeyore; you made the topic I was planning to make! :smallamused:

No, no, no... in Belker the Barbarian SSGoW there is no line requesting "the lamentations of their woman".

:smallwink:

Now they will know why they are afraid of the short. Now they learn why they fear my lack of height.

Perfect addition to the saga. Also posibly:

:belkar: "I do not pray to the Gods, sitting in fear upon their mountians, they pray to me."

Thank you Cohen, but really we're talking about the Murder Machine, not some old toothless geezer wandering about in his jammies looking for a nice spot of tea. :smallwink:

There's a point where Hilgya cows the fire beings in the name of Loki, and Durkon turns to the "camera" and says (approximately) "I feel that if I had a few more ranks in Knowledge (Religion) I'd be more worried about all this." Suggests to me that clerics of Thor and of Loki don't normally hang out with each other. Mind you, it also implies that they barely acknowledge each other's existence, or else Durkon would surely have heard of Loki before that point!

It is entirely possible that Evil Clerics of Loki can rebuke Fire Elementals just as Evil Clerics can the Undead. **

Also possible he had zero ranks in Knowledge (Religion) and not enough of an Int bonus to realize Clerics of Loki are Chaotic. Which is backed up by his not knowing about Lichs and phylacteries.

** Nevermind, Clerics with the Fire Domain can do this.

dish
2008-11-25, 05:02 AM

Always loved Cohen's take on life.

Anyway, it's always nice to see Belkar on the rampage when he's doing it for (approximately) the right reasons. Just like in the original sexy shoeless god of war moment, Belkar comes into his own during this kind of crisis.

pendell
2008-11-25, 08:28 AM
Erm......

....I mean have you heard some of the stories out of the Crusades? Not exactly a shining moment in western history.

....or middle eastern for that matter. Most of the muslim armies really weren't any better.

Quite. And if you read That Famous Book I Can't Mention, there are whole hordes of stories in there about the Mighty Men. People who got famous for killing 30 bad guys in one encounter, wrestling wild animals and killing them barehanded, smiting a couple hundred people dead with the jawbone of a donkey or what not.

Morality isn't all about turning the other cheek and being good to those who want to hurt you. There's a time to be Martin Luther King Junior, and there's a time to be Conan the Barbarian.

Now ... is Conan time.

And it feels doubly sweet if you FINALLY get to do something about the people who have been giving you nothing but grief for HOW many strips now?

Heck, I knew Bozzak was doomed the minute he started monologuing about how he'd betrayed Haley's father. That's a Kick My Puppy moment, used to mark out a nemesis for imminent demise.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-11-25, 08:49 AM

Not the Norse Gods, but actually the great Genghis Khan!

What is Best in Life:
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

Genghis Khan

Mythlor
2008-11-25, 09:02 AM
When you are out-numbered 12 to 2? Surviving the encounter to live another day!

Belkar has gone from thug back to his defining moment. He and Banjo would fit nicely together in the Norse pantheon.

King of Nowhere
2008-11-25, 10:32 AM
Crap! I wanted to post it. Even if it is nice to see other Terry Pratchett fans.

Corwin Weber
2008-11-25, 10:38 AM

I had always taken that situation as being a joke that Durkon didn't know nearly as much about his own religion as he probably should....

Flame of Anor
2008-11-25, 01:57 PM
"I would stand in line for this/There's always room in life for this"

--Moby, Extreme Ways

dps
2008-11-27, 12:31 AM
It's not about the Crusades, Corwin. It's about D&D paladins. Leave RL out of it.

The Sapphire Guard wiped out whole villages, including infants. I doubt that they'd have a problem with someone under attack by the Thieves' Guild getting the drop on a bunch of Guild members and killing them first.

Samurai Jill
2008-11-27, 04:41 AM
Strictly speaking, he did also hear her lamentation.

Phishfood
2008-11-27, 05:48 AM
The name's Belkar, James Belkar. License to kill (outside city limits)

Querzis
2008-11-27, 07:06 AM

I dunno if it was intentional or not but as Surfinghalforc said, that sounds a lot like Genghis Khan.

Anyway, yeah, after being stuck with the Mark of justice for so long, Belkar must believe hes in heaven! That being said I still dont see how he could beat Bozzok and Crystal.

Aergoth
2008-11-27, 07:23 AM
With style, neighbour. With style. Belkar is going to walk in there and this is what's going to happen.
Enter stage right: Belkar (w/ or w/o cleric of loki, more likely w/)
Cue: Humorous double-take from Crystal and Bozok, about to/ having just finished kill(ing) Starshine
Bozok: Who the hell are you?
Belkar: (because he's allowed to) I am, a sexy, shoeless, god of war!
They fight. Belkar wins, nuff said

Nof
2008-11-27, 09:11 AM
Once again, sorry for my broken English.

Anyone feels it's a bit, just a little bit, odd that the lastest killing spree has made just about everyone around here happy? Do we like violence that much. We are nothing but a barbaric race of mindless brutes who hide behind the mask of civilisation
It's not so much about enjoying violence, but violence with style. Almost nobody cheered the manslaughter organized by Xykon, because it was just something brutal and bloody.

But here, there are a sense of drama : Beklar is the underdog, he's outnumbered, and he spent the last weeks in a pathetic state. Now, he's better, and he's the only one that can save the day. So we can all cheer his awakening, especially when he does it with class, coming out of fog with Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion. Both are cute, nasty, little, and deadly.

It's not about the killing spree, it's about the attitude. He's a badass. And there are few thing that make me squirts more than a badass kicking villain's ass, taking the booze, and kissing the girl.

Oh, and thanks to the one that gave the real life quote and it's real author. It's amazing to see how much people seem to think it's comes from Conan.

evileeyore
2008-11-27, 12:22 PM
With style, neighbour. With style. Belkar is going to walk in there and this is what's going to happen.
Enter stage right: Belkar (w/ or w/o cleric of loki, more likely w/)
Cue: Humorous double-take from Crystal and Bozok, about to/ having just finished kill(ing) Starshine
Bozok: Who the hell are you?
Belkar: (because he's allowed to) I am, a sexy, shoeless, god of war!
They fight. Belkar wins, nuff said

:roy: Belkar!

:roy: Who's the shoeless god of war
:roy: That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
:sabine::miko::haley: Belkar!
:roy: You're damn right

:roy: Who is the halfling
:roy: That would cut the neck of his brother man?
:roy: Can ya dig it?

:roy: Who's the cat with a dagger out
:roy: When there's danger all about
:roy: Right on

:roy: You see this cat Belkar is a bad mother--
:sabine::miko::haley: Shut your mouth
:roy: But I'm talkin' about Belkar
:sabine::miko::haley: Then we can dig it

:roy: He's got sociopathy
:roy: But no one understands him but Mr. Scruffy...
:sabine::miko::haley: Belkar

Corwin Weber
2008-11-27, 08:11 PM
:roy: Belkar!

:roy: Who's the shoeless god of war
:roy: That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
:roy: You're damn right

:roy: Who is the halfling
:roy: That would cut the neck of his brother man?
:roy: Can ya dig it?

:roy: Who's the cat with a dagger out
:roy: When there's danger all about
:roy: Right on

:roy: You see this cat Belkar is a bad mother--
:sabine::miko::haley: Shut your mouth
:roy: But I'm talkin' about Belkar
:sabine::miko::haley: Then we can dig it

:roy: He's got sociopathy
:roy: But no one understands him but Mr. Scruffy...
:sabine::miko::haley: Belkar

Mmmmkay.

Thread's over. We have a clear winner.

The Minx
2008-11-27, 08:40 PM

It's not so much about enjoying violence, but violence with style. Almost nobody cheered the manslaughter organized by Xykon, because it was just something brutal and bloody.

But here, there are a sense of drama : Beklar is the underdog, he's outnumbered, and he spent the last weeks in a pathetic state. Now, he's better, and he's the only one that can save the day. So we can all cheer his awakening, especially when he does it with class, coming out of fog with Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion. Both are cute, nasty, little, and deadly.

It's not about the killing spree, it's about the attitude. He's a badass. And there are few thing that make me squirts more than a badass kicking villain's ass, taking the booze, and kissing the girl.

Oh, and thanks to the one that gave the real life quote and it's real author. It's amazing to see how much people seem to think it's comes from Conan.

There is also the difference between this killing and the pointless killing of the gnome. Here, he is defending himself, and possibly his companions. And there is the promise of (fake) character development.

OP: What is best in life? If you're not Belkar, then possibly the best thing is to be one of his female antagonists. :smallbiggrin:

evileeyore
2008-11-27, 10:25 PM
OP: What is best in life? If you're not Belkar, then possibly the best thing is to be one of his female antagonists. :smallbiggrin:

Personally I think not being within the kill zone would be best.

I want neither his dagger nor his tongue thrust into me. Thank you very much. :smallredface:

Liwen
2008-11-28, 01:40 AM

For the record, I was going sarcastic on my previous post. I should remember that a post can't deliver tones of voice...

anyway, I really wanted to post this :
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f262/PonderThis/Drawings/BelkarRocks.png

Belkar Rocks!

Nof
2008-11-28, 02:43 AM
Personally I think not being within the kill zone would be best.

I want neither his dagger nor his tongue thrust into me. Thank you very much. :smallredface:
You obviously doesn't know what is good. :sabine:

Smight
2008-11-28, 12:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHFMuvCsr0

Moff Chumley
2008-11-28, 12:53 PM
Mmmmkay.

Thread's over. We have a clear winner.

Agreed. :smallbiggrin:

Milanius
2008-11-28, 01:07 PM
Hot water, good dental and soft lavatory paper.Right on the money. :smallcool:

With that said, whee! Homicidal maniac is again doing community service jobs*, which is at least decent, if not good.

*he's paving a highway, NOT a road, with dead rogue bodies

NephandiMan
2008-11-28, 01:21 PM
For the record, I was going sarcastic on my previous post. I should remember that a post can't deliver tones of voice...

That's good to hear. I was going to recommend that if you were genuinely troubled by barbaric reactions, it would be best to avoid threads the titles of which come from Conan/Genghis Khan.