PDA

View Full Version : A tribute

MasterofMockery
2008-11-24, 10:51 PM
My Friends, I ask a moment of silence for one of our running gags has left us forever.

Yes I am referring to our old friend, The Mark of Justice.
It( what is the pronoun for gags) lived to a healthy old age, 315 strips before it was lost to us forever.

From it we have had several beautifully wrought jokes, and I hope none of those were taken for granted.

It will remain forever in the archives and in our hearts

Niley
2008-11-25, 01:52 AM
:vaarsuvius: I wish I could properly express my deep sorrow over her passing, but I would first have to FEEL actual sorrow rather than, for example, mild amusement. As the shrew has perished, we are no longer bound by the anchor that has hung around our necks these last weeks. Let her death ring a new era of freedom for the "Order of the Stick"!

Miko = Mark of Justice? :smallbiggrin:

Thant
2008-11-25, 10:04 AM
One interesting thing: MoJ was active for exactly 42 strips...:smalltongue: And yes, I will too mourn its passing - because if it wasn't for MoJ we might never see Shojo again!

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-25, 10:12 AM
Wow. It was like the second longest running subplot in the strip. The honor of being the longest goes to the Elan/Haley relationship, which was first hinted at near the end of Origin of PC's.

Babale
2008-11-25, 01:44 PM
actually the longest gag is the Lime Green Boots of Speed-from strip 3 to strip 608 (and nothing says that it has ended yet!)

Texas Jedi
2008-11-25, 01:51 PM
The cursed girdle had a long shelf life before it was used. From comic 9 to 234. Heck it wasn't even destroyed because Durkon had it in 249 and then it's gone by 250. He might still have it.

FujinAkari
2008-11-25, 10:45 PM
I would argue that the lime-green shoes and the girdle do not constitute "running gags" as they aren't relevant for most of their presence.

NeonRonin
2008-11-25, 10:59 PM
Alas, poor Mark of Justice. I knew it, Lord Hinjo, a mark of infinite pain, of most excellent nausea...

Good night, sweet Mark. May flights of sylphs sing you to your rest...

Hmm. I recognize that sound. It's Shakespeare turning over in his grave again. :smallbiggrin:

Ah well. The Mark served its purpose, much like Roy's broken sword served its purpose, and the gender-swapping girdle, and all the other plot devices. All of them special, none of them will ever be forgotten.

Zevox
2008-11-25, 11:05 PM
Wow. It was like the second longest running subplot in the strip. The honor of being the longest goes to the Elan/Haley relationship, which was first hinted at near the end of Origin of PC's.
OtOoPCs was published before these (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html) strips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0109.html)? :smallconfused:

Zevox

Lord Zentei
2008-11-25, 11:09 PM
I would argue that the lime-green shoes and the girdle do not constitute "running gags" as they aren't relevant for most of their presence.

I concur. A long-running running gag would be something like not being able to speak on account of being shell shocked at the destruction of treasure. :smallwink:

Liwen
2008-11-26, 12:13 AM
I think the longest running gag ever is the Order of the Stick itself.

Kato
2008-11-26, 11:07 AM
42? Omg, it really is everywhere ^^* Wonder if the Giant was aware of it.

Anyway.... no, I won't mourn the MoJ's passing. Not meant offensive, but it limited the Belkster's ability to deal mssive damage to random people he didn't like. And... yeah, that's just a little more awesome than more MoJ jokes. (Also, if it had lived longer, it wouldn't have lasted 42 strips)

Raging Gene Ray
2008-11-26, 11:34 AM
My Friends, I ask a moment of silence for one of our running gags has left us forever.

Yes I am referring to our old friend, The Mark of Justice.

Does the MoJ really qualify as a gag? I thought of it more as a plot device...aren't gags supposed to be funny?

EmperorSarda
2008-11-26, 11:57 AM
What about V's gender?