PDA

View Full Version : Damage spell with uncapped CL?

Frosty
2008-11-25, 12:52 AM
I got two questions:

Besides Maw of Chaos (I'm fighting a lot of demons), what other damage spells (preferable a spell with no save. If it has a save, then at least make it an area spell) do not have a CL cap on damage? I've been using Orbs of Fires, which is great, but the damage isnt quite keeping up now.

How does the Extra Spell feat work with prepared casters? I know the spell, so I can scribe it into my spellbook (at 100 gold per spell level)? If I lose access to the Extra Spell feat, do I lose access to the spell? I mean, the spell is already scribed into my spellbook, so I can definitely prepare it (I relearn it by reading my own notes?). I'm thinking of a way for my Chameleon to actually be able learn spells without having to steal some other wizard's spellbook.

jcsw
2008-11-25, 12:55 AM
Wings of Flurry, level 4 spell, races of the dragon.

1d6 per CL. Reflex Half. Force Damage.

Keld Denar
2008-11-25, 12:57 AM
The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Wings of Flurry, which is sadly a Sorcerer only spell, thus you can't take it as a wizard.

As far as Extra Spell and scribing, I believe once its in your spellbook, you can't lose it unless you lose your spellbook. The trick with Cameleon is that you use your floating bonus feat each day to take Extra Spell, scribe the spell, and then get a new spell the next day till you fill up 3-4 Boccob's Blessed Books.

Frosty
2008-11-25, 01:02 AM
The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Wings of Flurry, which is sadly a Sorcerer only spell, thus you can't take it as a wizard.

As far as Extra Spell and scribing, I believe once its in your spellbook, you can't lose it unless you lose your spellbook. The trick with Cameleon is that you use your floating bonus feat each day to take Extra Spell, scribe the spell, and then get a new spell the next day till you fill up 3-4 Boccob's Blessed Books.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Blessed Book :p Only level 6. Hmm...if my CL is less than 25, would you recommend Wings of Flurry over Polar Ray?

Vinotaur
2008-11-25, 02:19 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a Blessed Book :p Only level 6. Hmm...if my CL is less than 25, would you recommend Wings of Flurry over Polar Ray?

I would recommend Wings of Flurry over Polar Ray all the time.

Firs of all, Wings of Flurry is more damage, it's better damage, it has a stun effect, it's AoE and it has longer range.

Secondly, it's 4 levels lower, so you can just slap a free twin on it to make it "equal" (AKA better in every way.)

Frosty
2008-11-25, 02:51 AM
For my Factotum/Chameleon, could you give some advice on what I might wnat to focus on? Since I'm going solo, things will be different. I don't have anyone to actually protect me, but as a Chameleon I'd incur Spell Failure chance if I use armor and shields. Should I even bother trying to up my AC? How should one play differently? I can see many situations in which my jack of all trades woul dbe out-matched...even if I'm Divine-Powering to get my BAB up to full.

I suppose the DM of a Solo campaign should bring some lower CR opponents against me?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-25, 02:57 AM
Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) would probably be a decent choice.

goram.browncoat
2008-11-25, 06:06 AM
Wings of flurry +1

Also, venomfire (serpent kingdoms) can be downright ridiculous if you can get your hands on it and make it work. (such as for example with the wild cohort feat suggested above)

Darrin
2008-11-25, 09:38 AM
Mordenkainen's Force Missiles has no maximum. Every 4 CLs, you get another missile. It's in the Spell Compendium under just "Force Missiles", but the original is available on the WotC website:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20020809a

Hammer of Righteousness (BoED, p. 100) has no max damage cap, 1d6/CL or 1d8/CL if target is evil. I'm a little fuzzy on how sanctified spells work, though.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-25, 09:41 AM
Sanctified - Any class that prepares spells in advance (Wizard/Cleric etc) can prepare them, and Good Clerics can spontaneously cast them. They always require a sacrifice of some sort, such as 1dx ability damage or even drain.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-25, 09:58 AM
As a Factotum what are you using spells for to deal damage? Invisibility + a massive Cunning Strike sneak attack.

At level 6 you can be looking at an attack where you get Int to attack, Int to damage, and sneak attack for 17d6. Throw in wraith strike and it's a touch attack. A glove of the master strategist gets you +20 on it as well.

For a single target it beats any non save-or-die spell that you will have access to at level 6.

Frosty
2008-11-25, 11:05 AM
As a Factotum what are you using spells for to deal damage? Invisibility + a massive Cunning Strike sneak attack.

At level 6 you can be looking at an attack where you get Int to attack, Int to damage, and sneak attack for 17d6. Throw in wraith strike and it's a touch attack. A glove of the master strategist gets you +20 on it as well.

For a single target it beats any non save-or-die spell that you will have access to at level 6.

No, this is for two different campaigns. The factotum needs to be able to handle himself in a solo campaign, and the high level caster just wants to do a lot of damage as one of his option, even if it's not optimal.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-25, 11:23 AM
No, this is for two different campaigns. The factotum needs to be able to handle himself in a solo campaign, and the high level caster just wants to do a lot of damage as one of his option, even if it's not optimal.

Oh, ok.

I think you've hit all the uncapped damage spells. Which means that it's time to start throwing metamagic onto your spells.

Frosty
2008-11-25, 10:12 PM
meh, I only have Empower and Quicken and Chain...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-25, 10:55 PM
Fire Seeds in the berry bomb mode doesn't have a damage cap. It only looks like +1 per caster level, but one casting makes eight bombs, so you're dealing +8 per CL, and since it's 1d8+CL you can Empower it to deal ((1d8+CL)x1.5)x8. Put them in a pouch and summon a small fire elemental to carry it to the targets, or find some other means of delivery.

Yukitsu
2008-11-25, 10:57 PM
Can't you sanctify a maw of chaos, changing the target creature type? Or does that not work?

Frosty
2008-11-25, 11:18 PM
Can't you sanctify a maw of chaos, changing the target creature type? Or does that not work?

Sanctify? Explain please. Some metamagic?

Yukitsu
2008-11-25, 11:26 PM
A book of exalted deeds metamagic, adds the good descriptor to spells, cause full damage to evil people, half to neutrals, none to good people. In theory, it's changing the none to demons and devils into full to demons and devils, but I'm not positive.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-25, 11:39 PM
A book of exalted deeds metamagic, adds the good descriptor to spells, cause full damage to evil people, half to neutrals, none to good people. In theory, it's changing the none to demons and devils into full to demons and devils, but I'm not positive.

A spell you modify with this feat gains the good
descriptor. Furthermore, if the spell deals damage, neutral creatures
take half damage, or one-quarter with a successful saving
throw (if allowed), while good creatures take no damage at all.
Evil outsiders affected by the spell take extra damage: The
spell’s damage is increased by one die type (each 1d6 becomes
1d8, each 1d8 becomes 2d6, and so on, using the same progression
as weapons increasing in size).
Maw of Chaos has no affect on creatures with the Chaotic subtype. Demons aren't even affected by the spell, so Sanctify Spell makes no difference. A Sanctified Maw of Chaos would have both the Good and Chaotic descriptor. Chaotic subtype creatures would be unaffected regardless of their alignment. Creatures that are Neutral on the good-evil axis would take half damage, Good aligned creatures would be unaffected.

Yukitsu
2008-11-25, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I knew I was missing something. Hmm. Probably some way of managing this.