PDA

View Full Version : Druid/Sorceror Gestalt (3.5)

Taffimai
2008-11-25, 07:51 AM
In an upcoming campaign I'll be playing a 9th level druid/sorcerer gestalt character. I would like to hear some suggestions about the familiar and animal companion I'll be having. Besides that, I'd be very grateful if somebody could remind me of the item that increases a sorceror's known spells.

Rules information: anything from outside the PHBI/DMGI/MMI is severely restricted (though I can get my hands on as good as all official rule books). One or two feats/items that are well-documented or a simple creature from another MM will probably not be a problem, but if something ends up significantly more powerful than what can be done with the original rules, it won't fly. We also have a houserule that limits druids to one specific theme for their Wild Shape/Animal Companion/Summoning, and my sorcerer side will have to abide by that too. Examples from past games: desert animals, reptiles. Given that I'll definitely be taking natural spell and really like quickened spell, there are only two-three feats to play around with.

Two ideas that I've been thinking about:
1) Take the same base animal for both and build the theme around that (two cats - felines, two wolves - canines, two spiders - vermin). I particularly like the idea of casting a touch spell and sicking both at the target so they could flank for each other. The fact that some animals feature on one list but not the other won't be much of an issue, as long as there's not too much of a power discrepancy we treat those lists as suggestions rather than rule anyway. Worst case scenario I could use the mechanics (stats) of a 'listed' creature and just say that it looks like the one I want.

2) Make one creature count for both. I know the familiar rules explicitly say a druid/sorceror can't use their animal companion as a familiar, but swapping the animal companion for the improved familiar feat might work. Actually, given the power of animal companions, I might be able to get more than just improved familiar. Perhaps something could be done with a theme built around magical beasts with a certain elemental damage type, like shocker lizards and then build my spell lists around electricity too.

Fire away.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-25, 08:07 AM
I'm sure theres a feat that lets you combine the two

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-25, 08:19 AM
The Arcane Heirophant in Races of the Wild actually allows your Animal Companion to also be your Familiar, though it's a dual-progression class and wouldn't be allowed in Gestalt. Maybe see if your DM will modify it to a single-progression class, or allow you to gain its Companion Familiar ability for the cost of a feat, with the same prerequisites as the prestige class has.

I'd go with a Cold/arctic theme, get a Smilodon (saber-toothed tiger) companion from Frostburn and take Improved Familiar (DMG) for an Ice Mephit. Wild Shape into a Polar Bear or Smilodon for combat. See if you can get Rashemi Elemental Summoning from Unapproachable East to summon Orglash (ice spirit) versions whenever you would summon an Air Elemental, such as with Summon Nature's Ally. Beckon the Frozen from Frostburn would also be a superb fit for this theme, as would Frozen Wild Shape which would enable you to take forms like Frost Salamander (MM2) and Cryohydra (Huge). There are quite a few good cold-themed spells in Frostburn, particularly combos like Snowsight and Obscuring Snow.

Tempest Fennac
2008-11-25, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure which book it's in (I read about it ina Spirit Shaman optimization thread), but would Dynamic Priest be allowed? It would let you use Cha for your Divine spells rather then Wis, which would allow you to focus on other stats.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-25, 08:25 AM
I'm sure theres a feat that lets you combine the two
PrC, not feat; unfortunately, it's also Dual-Progression, so technically a no-no in Gestalt. Arcane Heirophant, from Races of the Wild (page 108); not on the OP's list, though. The OP can, however, check with the DM to see if merging the two like that is reasonable - maybe merge the Dire Bat animal companion and the Bat familiar for an intelligent mount with Fly 40 (good) and Blindsense ... or just keep them seperate, and rely on the Speak with Animals of It's Kind familiar ability, and have the Familiar relay more complex orders to the Animal Companion (or go with two cats and do the same).

As for items that increase spells known? The Magic Item Compendium's Runestaves will mostly do the trick, and I think you can also get them out of the Dragon Compendium's Knowstones. Also check Complete Divine for Domain Staffs - they let you spontaneously convert Divine spells to domain spells (only one per spell level per day, sadly, but still very handy). Again, though - not on the OP's list. Core, there's very, very little you can do with that. Of course, as you've got Druid prepared casting to supplement Sorcerer Spontaneous casting, there's very little you really need to do with that - pick "several times a day" spells (and spells you'll use regularly that you can't get from the Druid list - Dimension Door, Rope Trick, and so on) on the Sorcerer side, and put specialty spells or spells you're only going to use once a day on the Druid side.

Be warned, though - you're going to end up with a bit of a case of MAD unless you forget about spells with saves.

Taffimai
2008-11-25, 08:58 AM
Thank you all very much :smallsmile:

I like the cold theme thing, I'll have to have a look at those books. The special classes won't work, our group tends to be paranoid about 'really cool awesome new' classes and their abilities, but just the ability to combine both creatures for a feat has potential. And yes, Knowstones were what I was looking for, thanks a bunch. The MAD won't be much of a problem, we are still discussing stat distribution, but it looks like there will be plenty of points to throw around. Besides, I won't need physical stats much as I plan on staying out of the fray and focusing on crowd/battlefield control.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-25, 09:03 AM
You should focus on using your spells for buffs and noncombat problem solving, and focus on melee for combat. I'd even consider going something like Druid 20// Monk 1/ Sorcerer 19, or maybe even take Dragon Disciple since everything it grants would be kept when in Wild Shape forms due to being granted by class levels. Get Improved Grapple at Monk 1 and you'll be able to use Mage Armor and get your Wisdom bonus to AC regardless of form. Wild Shape into forms with Improved Grab and you'll be amazing.

Taffimai
2008-11-25, 09:19 AM
You should focus on using your spells for buffs and noncombat problem solving, and focus on melee for combat. I'd even consider going something like Druid 20// Monk 1/ Sorcerer 19, or maybe even take Dragon Disciple since everything it grants would be kept when in Wild Shape forms due to being granted by class levels. Get Improved Grapple at Monk 1 and you'll be able to use Mage Armor and get your Wisdom bonus to AC regardless of form. Wild Shape into forms with Improved Grab and you'll be amazing.

I agree that such a build would be awesome, especially for the 'wild shape to something large and tentacly' potential. It's not what I want to be doing, but I'll be sure to suggest it to one of the players who are making melee characters. I think one of them was even looking into monk builds, so he might be really into this.