PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Item - Stewie?

PurinaDragonCho
2008-11-25, 10:30 AM
I just had the idea to let my players find an intelligent item - with the personality of Stewie from the Family Guy. I thought it might be funny to have the item constantly threaten the party with death even though it has absolutely no combat abilities whatsoever. I was thinking maybe some sort of ring.

Anyone have any ideas? What sort of powers should a ring like this have - useful enough to keep the item, but not game-breaking.

Mando Knight
2008-11-25, 10:57 AM
What system are you using? The powers I'd suggest largely depend on that...

...though I'd also say that a use of an energy ray-type spell would be entirely consistent with what I know of Stewie.

Veneficus
2008-11-25, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a good funny idea you have.

In terms of spells:

ray type spells
mind control spells
perhaps have it threaten to explode?

P.S. I imagine if my party found that ring they would try and sell it as it can talk. If this wouldn't happen in your party then great.

Seffbasilisk
2008-11-25, 11:06 AM
Maybe the ring can give a +10 or +15 to Knowledge: Strategy or Knowledge: Tactics?

Grant the wearer blindsense? Or just have a high Spot/Listen check itself.

Something where it can give good advice, but frequently gets aggrivated when not followed.

jcsw
2008-11-25, 11:06 AM
A ring of -20 to move silently?

PurinaDragonCho
2008-11-25, 11:28 AM
Sorry - good point about the system. We're using 3.5.

I was thinking of giving it some sort of utility spells 1 or 3 times per day (something like locate object - but maybe more useful than that) and ranks in a useful skill. Maybe a ring of counterspelling?

elliott20
2008-11-25, 12:28 PM
if you ask me, stewie got funnier as he began to ditch his mad scientist persona.

Ethdred
2008-11-25, 12:46 PM
I'd load it up with knowledge skills, legend lore and all that, and then make it an insufferable know-it-all, even when it didn't know the answer the specific question - it would just change the subject to something it did know. And do the whole threatening to kill them thing.

Coidzor
2008-11-25, 12:50 PM
if you ask me, stewie got funnier as he began to ditch his mad scientist persona.

Well, yeah, but the foppishness/campiness would only really figure into the personality/speech of the item... I don't see how much it would affect, over all, the kind of enchantment to put on the minor artifact thingy.

Plus he's still lapsing into violent/conniving SOB moments, so it's not like he's completely abandoned that side of himself, just branching out into less high tech areas as well, as a true evil overlord should.

Well, maybe if you were running a campaign where some social powers would come in handy... Then the Foppishness could come out in a useful way.

And maybe take a cue from his habit of nicknaming people to sum up the characters very quickly by how they'd be perceived...

Telonius
2008-11-25, 12:54 PM
P.S. I imagine if my party found that ring they would try and sell it as it can talk. If this wouldn't happen in your party then great.

I would think the Stewie-ring would either speak up to get the purchaser angry at the party, or remain quiet to make it seem like they were trying to pawn off a fake magic ring.

Granting the wielder the Abrasive trait sounds reasonable.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-25, 02:54 PM
Just don't ever borrow money off it

PurinaDragonCho
2008-11-25, 03:59 PM
And maybe take a cue from his habit of nicknaming people to sum up the characters very quickly by how they'd be perceived...

Very good point - that's a "must".

Maerok
2008-11-25, 04:14 PM
The person who wears it has to resist the ring's ego or become Small, (Neutral?) Evil and make constant death threats in an accent.

Thurbane
2008-11-25, 09:55 PM
Effects I associate with Stewie:

Mind Control (Charm or Suggestion, perhaps)
Weather Control
Time Travel
A gun that freezes opponent in carbonite (Resilient Sphere, Flesh to Stone?)