PDA

View Full Version : Useful Cursed Weapons

Baron Corm
2008-11-25, 01:16 PM
I want to make weapon abilities for evil characters which cause their weapon to be cursed (and therefore awesome), but not debilitating. Well, not too debilitating. You'll see what I mean. Feel free to add your own.

Weapon Ability Subtype: [Cursed]

Once you wield a weapon with the Cursed subtype, you must use it or another cursed weapon for every attack you make. For every attack you make without a cursed weapon, you gain 1 negative level. If you are subject to a remove curse spell you may wield non-cursed weapons.

Hatred [Cursed]
Any time the wielder of a weapon with the hatred ability attacks, you must make a Will save (DC 10) or make one attack as a free action against a random creature within range (other than the initially attacked creature). The attack bonus for the attack is equal to the triggering attack's attack bonus.

Moderate evocation [evil]; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, unholy blight, bestow curse, creator must be evil; Price +2 bonus.

Hatred Burst [Cursed]
A weapon with the hatred burst ability functions as a hatred weapon, but on a critical hit the attack is made against every creature within range (other than the initially attacked creature). On a critical hit, the Will save DC is increased to 20.

Moderate evocation [evil]; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, blasphemy, bestow curse, creator must be evil; Price +3 bonus.

Terror [Cursed]
A terror weapon grants a +6 bonus to attack and damage and a -6 penalty to AC. In addition, the wielder of a weapon with the terror property is considered shaken until it is removed. Creatures immune to fear do not gain the benefits or penalties of terror, but their weapon is still considered cursed.

Strong evocation [evil]; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, blasphemy, bestow curse, creator must be evil; Price +3 bonus.

Terror Burst [Cursed]
A terror burst weapon functions as a terror weapon, but on a critical hit deals 6d6 extra damage to its target, and causes its target to become shaken. A terror burst weapon also grants a +6 bonus to critical confirmation rolls, in addition to its base +6 to attack. Creatures immune to fear do not gain the benefits or penalties of terror burst, but their weapon is still considered cursed.

Strong evocation [evil]; CL 18th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, blasphemy, bestow greater curse, creator must be evil; Price +5 bonus.

Destruction [Cursed]
A destruction weapon deals 2 points of random ability damage each time it strikes a creature. The wielder of the weapon takes 2 points of hit point damage.

Moderate transmutation [evil]; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, desecrate, bestow curse, creator must be evil; Price +2 bonus.

Dark Destruction [Cursed]
A dark destruction weapon deals 4 points of random ability damage each time it strikes a creature. The wielder of the weapon takes 4 points of hit point damage.

Moderate transmutation [evil]; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, desecrate, bestow curse, creator must be evil; Price +3 bonus.

Dark Destruction Burst [Cursed]
A dark destruction burst weapon deals 6 points of random ability damage each time it strikes a creature. The wielder of the weapon takes 6 points of hit point damage. On a critical hit, the weapon instead deals its ability damage to an ability score of your choice, but you take an additional 6 damage.

Strong transmutation [evil]; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, unholy aura, bestow greater curse, creator must be evil; Price +4 bonus.

Alternative Dark Destruction and Dark Destruction Burst - Thinking About It
Dark Destruction [Cursed]
A dark destruction weapon deals 3 points of random ability damage each time it strikes a creature. The wielder of the weapon takes 3 points of hit point damage.

Moderate transmutation [evil]; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, desecrate, bestow curse, creator must be evil; Price +3 bonus.

Dark Destruction Burst [Cursed]
A dark destruction burst weapon deals 3 points of random ability damage each time it strikes a creature. The wielder of the weapon takes 3 points of hit point damage. On a critical hit, the weapon deals an additional 3 points of ability damage to an ability score of your choice, but you take an additional 3 damage.

Strong transmutation [evil]; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, unholy aura, bestow greater curse, creator must be evil; Price +4 bonus.

DracoDei
2008-11-25, 03:45 PM
That last one do a total of 12 ability damage on a crit.? 6 random and 6 selected? Or does it just let you pick which ability score the basic 6 goes to on a crit.? I would suspect and hope for the second.

boomwolf
2008-11-26, 09:45 AM
The "instead" in the entry suggest the later.

Cute weapon abilities. some aer actually more help then damage. Dark Destruction Burst being the jawbraker. (12 hp for 6 con damage? sure! now lets get some silly-high critical rating, not that hard.) the lesser variations are quite likealbe as well.

Terror is a curse on my book, Terror Burst is a blessing if you got a high-crit stealth weapon. perfect for an assassin that maximised his sneak attack.

Hatred (and burs) are plain wierd. goot for lone warriors? in any case-not a good teamwork weapon.

Baron Corm
2008-11-26, 11:57 AM
The "instead" in the entry suggest the later.

I just changed that because of what he said :smallbiggrin:

Cute weapon abilities. some aer actually more help then damage.

They were supposed to be all more help than damage, cause you're paying for them, heh.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-26, 10:28 PM
Hatred (and burs) are plain wierd. goot for lone warriors? in any case-not a good teamwork weapon.

Hatred seems a bit overpowered in my opinion. Basically it's a free attack, since if I used it, I'd always make sure not to stand near anyone I like and would voluntarily fail the save. It's only bad for teamwork if your 'friends' are dumb enough to stand next to you. Otherwise it should be fine. I also tend not to be near my friends in fights anyways.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-26, 10:34 PM
What happens if a dual-wielder ends up with two of these?

SurlySeraph
2008-11-26, 11:38 PM
Terror Burst seems a bit overpowered to me. The "+6 attack and damage for -6 AC" is already a pretty good deal; it's basically like the Shock Trooper feat. But then doing 6d6 bonus damage (and not only bonus damage, but untyped bonus damage, which can't be resisted), plus making the enemy shaken on a critical hit, plus a bonus for confirming critical hits, pushes it over the top. I'd reduce or remove the bonus damage.

Baron Corm
2008-11-27, 12:47 AM
Hatred seems a bit overpowered in my opinion. Basically it's a free attack, since if I used it, I'd always make sure not to stand near anyone I like and would voluntarily fail the save. It's only bad for teamwork if your 'friends' are dumb enough to stand next to you. Otherwise it should be fine. I also tend not to be near my friends in fights anyways.

After reviewing it, I've changed it to only hit targets other than the one you already hit. So it's very good against armies of mooks, pretty good against small groups of close creatures, and useless against a single creature or spread out creatures.

What happens if a dual-wielder ends up with two of these?

Didn't think of that... will amend.

Terror Burst seems a bit overpowered to me. The "+6 attack and damage for -6 AC" is already a pretty good deal; it's basically like the Shock Trooper feat. But then doing 6d6 bonus damage (and not only bonus damage, but untyped bonus damage, which can't be resisted), plus making the enemy shaken on a critical hit, plus a bonus for confirming critical hits, pushes it over the top. I'd reduce or remove the bonus damage.

Compare 5 instances of an energy. They would grant you a constant 5d6 damage, but no attack. When you look at it that way, the bonus damage is actually quite low, mostly there to keep you from falling too far behind. The main selling points are the attack bonuses, and bestowing the shaken status, which is pretty good if you have a fear build, but remember that you are constantly shaken as well.

The damage bonus is the same type as the weapon, so it can be reduced by damage reduction. I think all weapon-based untyped damage bonuses, like Power Attack, enhancement bonuses, and Strength bonus, work this way without having to write it out. Dunno if I just made that up though.