PDA

View Full Version : Immunities and ongoing effects

goram.browncoat
2008-11-25, 01:37 PM
What happens when youre under the effect of some effect, say paralysis, and somebody casts a spell on you that makes you immune to this condition (not remove paralysis, jsut a buff that makes you immune).

does the paralysis
-stay
-dissapears
-stay supressed for the duration of the immunity buff

I couldnt find anything clear on this (though im sure im just overlooking it)

Keld Denar
2008-11-25, 01:43 PM
I'd say suppressed, given Protection from Evil as a precident. Prot Evil specifically supresses the ability to exercise mental control over the target. It doesn't remove the mental control, mearly supressing its effects for the duration.

This can be important because most Dominate spells and SLAs have a duration measured in DAYS and most protections against them have durations measured in MINUTES.

Hmmm, then again, I dunno. If you had a Ring of Freedom of Movement on, and were hit by a ghoul, would you have to make the save, and just ignore the effects? Or would you just say "Immune" and not even bother rolling the save. Say you did roll the save, and failed, and the Vampire Wizard controlling the ghoul cast Dispel Magic on your ring and supressed it for a couple rounds. Would you then become paralyzed?

Gah, stream of consiousness is killing me!!!!@!#!$@

Jasdoif
2008-11-25, 02:39 PM
I believe this is a case of one effect making another irrelevant. Both effects remain active, but one prevents the other from doing anything.

Here, the immunity to paralysis means the paralysis can't have its usual results. It remains active, however, so if the immunity expires first, the paralysis will take over.

Hmmm, then again, I dunno. If you had a Ring of Freedom of Movement on, and were hit by a ghoul, would you have to make the save, and just ignore the effects? Or would you just say "Immune" and not even bother rolling the save. Say you did roll the save, and failed, and the Vampire Wizard controlling the ghoul cast Dispel Magic on your ring and supressed it for a couple rounds. Would you then become paralyzed?Unless the spell description says otherwise (like Protection from Evil's does for mental control), I'd say that the immunity prevents the paralysis effect from taking hold, and you don't need to roll the save.

I guess a fair analogy would be an energy immunity spell cast to protect against fire: It doesn't remove any fire damage you've already taken, but prevents you from taking any more while the spell lasts.

Townopolis
2008-11-25, 05:40 PM
I'd rule that you're paralyzed for as long as the ring is inactive.

On an tangential note, IIRC, a permanently active item of Prot. Evil is 4k gold.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-25, 05:50 PM
I'd rule that you're paralyzed for as long as the ring is inactive.

On an tangential note, IIRC, a permanently active item of Prot. Evil is 4k gold.

So is a permanently active item of True Strike, and we all know where that leads.:smallwink:

Tehnar
2008-11-25, 05:56 PM
No, its not. Remember you have to look at what the item gives, not just what level spell it is. Lets see what a permanent item of protection from evil would do:

- near complete immunity to charm and domination effects
- +2 deflection bonus to AC vs evil creatures
- +2 resistance bonus to saves vs evil creatures

So I would price it like this, base it off ring of freedom of movement, but lets say due to lower caster level required and generally a lesser effect of the charm spell line, make it cost 25,000gp.

Then you add 8,000 gp for deflection +50% for extra item function -50% because it only works vs evil

Then you add resitance to saves, 4000gp +50% for extra item function -50% because it only works vs evil

Total cost 37, 000 gp.

Ent
2008-11-25, 05:59 PM
My take:

If you're immune to something, let's say acid, and [Acid] is in the spell descriptor, then I play that the spell does not effect you in any way.

If you're immune to a spell or effect that causes acid damage (that is somehow) without the [Acid] descriptor, I play that's it's suppressed.

It's a small distinction but important if there are multiple effects on you and they're trying to be removed.