PDA

View Full Version : The Christmas List!

Totally Guy
2008-11-25, 03:55 PM
I just thought I'd try buying gifts in a planned intellegent way this year so I'm making a list and checking it twice.

Who are you buying for this year? And what cool gifts are you thinking of giving?

Feeling Christmassy?

I've got to buy 4 my parents.
3 younger brothers.
2 Elderly Grandma's
And my mum's boyfriend who works with me.

I'm currently planning of getting 2 of my little brothers graphic novels. One has a birthday too so I'm going to get 3. I'm thinking V for Vendetta and Maus for the political one and Watchmen for the cooler one.

Then my mums boyfriend can have an autobiography by a criminal, he loves true crime books.

One of my nans is not able to look after herself anymore so I was going to get her some chocolates but I'm not sure she can handle hard nut centres now...

My mum... I don't know. Last year I bought her a copper top cocktail table and some poppycock popcorn. But this year I'm out of ideas.

My Dad... Also stuck...

My other brother has a one year old daughter so I don't know whether to buy something for him or buy something for him for her. He's also got money troubles.

And what's my budget? Still need to figure it all out!

Now's the time to organise! Get advice and gift idea help here!

Zarrexaij
2008-11-25, 03:58 PM
Hah, I'm too poor this year to buy anyone presents.

I'm a college student, all my money ends up going towards food. :smallannoyed:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-11-25, 04:01 PM
Oooh this reminds me!
I can't remember who, but a certain somebody always used to give stuff to playgrounders, it was awesome!

Despite that I never got anything......Was I even around when that happend.....

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to the results if they're coming this year!

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-25, 04:02 PM

I'm a college student, all my money ends up going towards food.

This.

And Guitar Hero 4 and enough wiimotes to play it is my plan.

Haruki-kun
2008-11-25, 04:06 PM

I used to be fine a while ago...

Then, of course, I woke up a couple of days ago to find that dollars were suddenly worth 14 pesos as opposed to the usual 10 pesos. That sorta screwed me a little bit... :smallfrown:

Totally Guy
2008-11-25, 04:10 PM
I can't remember who, but a certain somebody always used to give stuff to playgrounders, it was awesome!

Santa?

It turned out that although the mince pie and sherry got consumed every year the wealth of presents were in fact from the whole family to everyone else. It just looked like it should have been santa. And thus after this discovery Christmas got even more magical which is kind of contrary to how it should have been.

Telonius
2008-11-25, 04:53 PM
I'm refusing to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. (Though all of you non-US playgrounders have my sympathy for not having the excuse for the next couple of days).

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-25, 04:57 PM
I'm refusing to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. (Though all of you non-US playgrounders have my sympathy for not having the excuse for the next couple of days).

THats the one with Turkeys and red inj ... native americans right?

Festival of silly top hats or something

SoD
2008-11-25, 05:05 PM
Hmm, I've got four people to buy for, and possibly more.

Defiantly got to buy for my younger sister (16), my mother, father, and Uncle John (who stays with us on Christmas Eve). My younger sister has a birthday soon, although I'll probably give her a birthday won't-charge-interest-on-grog-for-a-week-although-parents-don't-know-about-that-deal gift voucher, or something similar. I'm kinda poor at the moment.

Christmas...christ, I haven't even thought about what to get for people yet...oh, but I'm probably getting me Star Munchkin. Or Super Munchkin. Or The Good, The Bad and The Munchkin.

I'll get Uncle John socks. No, it's not a cop-out-can't-think-of-anything-else! Everytime I ask him what he wants for Christmas, he'll think for a few seconds and say "Well, SoD, what I really need is a couple of good pairs of socks." I'll get him something else as well, but he does make it difficult.

Mum and Dad? Hmm, no idea really. I'll find something.

Oh, and I also need to buy stuff for my Thai parents, sister, grandmother and Aunty. And my Finnish family (father/mother/3 sisters). Cor, this is going to be costly...

Player_Zero
2008-11-25, 05:11 PM
Ya. Me too. That is to say, literally all of my money goes twoards food. I don't go out or buy frivolities.

Well, I buy soap, shampoo and pay the godamn over-charging washing machines. £3 for a effing wash?! You're having a laugh. Especially since I need two washes for my clothes.

Oh, and I spent £5 on lecture notes.

...And I live off off pasta, bread, cheese, butter and milk. Bad times.

Wait, what was the topic again? Christmas? Oh, right. Well, you seem to be putting in some effort, so good for you. Tis the thought that counts.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-25, 06:55 PM
Let's see...

Mum - kitchen knife (she has no good ones)
My good ex-gf - kitchen knife because she likes to cook
Ex's Friend - also a kitchen knife for same reasons (I got a good deal on a set of the same knives, since I was buying the set for myself and I had extras...)
Male roommate - no idea. A tie? Something crappy. =P
Female roommate - I'm not sure if I'm getting her anything. I was too nice to her for her birthday and it's not like she ever gets me anything.
Brother - not a clue at all. :smalleek: I have to get him something though, since I skimped on his b-day prezzy.

Yeah, nothing too cool on that list. Apparently it's the year of the knives. But, hey, I'm on a tight budget this year.

What do I want for xmas?

- somebody I find attractive to stick a bow on their head and say that they're my present. :smallamused:
- apron that says: "will cook for sex chocolate"

Telonius
2008-11-26, 10:50 AM

Festival of silly top hats or something

Something like that. Also the ceremonial remembrance of the long voyage over by fighting twelve hours of traffic on the highways to visit relatives and gorge ourselves on turkeys. (Ben Franklin originally wanted the turkey to be the national bird, but he gave up the idea when it became clear that it would instead be the national ruler). Though some now emphasize our multicultural heritage by preparing turducken. (Don't ask, it'll just make your head hurt). We commemorate buying the whole place with beads by having massive sales the day after.

Vagnarok
2008-11-26, 11:26 AM
Well, I don't have much money, but I'll be getting my family and friends things from their lists. This usually has something to do with lots and lots of clothes.

Hopefully I'll get some cool stuff, but I'm not planning on much.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-26, 11:31 AM
Since I have a relatively well playing job, I'm attempting to spoil friends and family by starting my shopping now, as opposed to, like, a week before Christmas.
All I know is what I've bought for my sister, which was this crazy designer make-up kit.
Twenty bucks for two palettes of high quality eye shadow and a palette of lip gloss. She'll flip.

Mr. Mud
2008-11-26, 12:21 PM
Playground, tempting Bike Doctor doesn't pay all that well (especially when you started there a month ago...), but I'd really, really like to get my girlfriend something special this year, because there's talk that I'm gonna flip when I see my gift, so I atleast have to return the favor :smallbiggrin:... But I'm sorta in a romantic-writer's-block right now so does anyone have any suggestions or ideas :smallconfused:?

mangosta71
2008-11-26, 12:29 PM
Let's see...2 brothers, 2 sisters, 2 parents, 1 grandmother, 2 siblings' spouses. Many of them are likely to receive silly little things from tshirthell.com, though I could probably afford to get them nicer things. Especially since, of the 7 in my generation, I'm one of two that are financially in good shape atm...

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-26, 01:16 PM
Also the ceremonial remembrance of the long voyage over

Wait, that was the one on account of giant rats yeah?

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-26, 01:19 PM

Likewise. I don't even have enough to pay for that... :smallfrown:

Zarrexaij
2008-11-26, 01:36 PM
Likewise. I don't even have enough to pay for that... :smallfrown:Yeah, I barely have enough to buy Ramen, which I'm completely sick of.

mangosta71
2008-11-26, 02:41 PM
Yes, I remember living entirely off ramen for several months as a student. *shudder*

Cristo Meyers
2008-11-26, 02:46 PM
I remember calling it a splurge when I was able to go from ramen to an actual can of Chunky soup. Not good times.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-26, 02:47 PM
Yes, I remember living entirely off ramen for several months as a student. *shudder*
Ramen and some really cheap Mexican tangerine soda.
For three months straight.

Mordokai
2008-11-26, 02:51 PM
Who am I buying presents for?

Nobody. Simple as that.

Serpentine
2008-11-26, 03:01 PM
Hmm...
Mother
Father
Sister
Nephew
Conrad Poohs
Grace (though I got her a big birthday present I haven't given her yet...)
Emelia
Michael
Matt, maybe
Alanna, maybe
Adam, maybe
Damian
Peter (mum's husband) I guess
Prue (dad's girlfriend) if I have to, but probably not
Aunty Sheryl (dad's side of the family has a sort of "Secret Santa" thing, whereby everyone buys one other family member a gift worth about $50 on the behalf of the whole family)

Don't know what I'm gonna get anyone... Gift-buying is one of my few talents, and one I'm quite proud of :smallsmile: I've made my own big Want List, though, cuz people keep telling me I'm hard to buy for.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-26, 03:06 PM
I'm hoping Stephen Fry In America comes out on DVD in the US so I can get it for my parents.
We do this thing on my father's side of the family where we draw from a hat to determine who we're buying a present for. I'm buying something from one of my aunts. Last year I got UMW merchandise, so it would feel like a cop out to buy a sweatshirt again this year. Which means I have to use real money.

Cristo Meyers
2008-11-26, 03:11 PM
I still have to shop for LadyMeyers...

...this could become an issue very quickly...

Serpentine
2008-11-26, 03:12 PM
Sounds like you have pretty much the same system as us, Mauve, except that my aunt allocates us all by some unknown means. It beats trying to buy presents for *counts* 22 family members... although that one dad and I got for the boys that time, with the balls-made-of-fingers and water pistols and things was pretty awesome.

La_Carnaval
2008-11-26, 03:14 PM
For my friends I will make a Christmas dinner and spend all of my money on food and wine. For my family I have clothes that I picked up on my trips out to the malls, the few times I have spare cash.

Jjkaybomb
2008-11-26, 04:31 PM
My family (6 members) my boyfriend, my roomie, my two other friends, and probably a general treat for my anime club and DnD group.

....auuug, how am I gonna afford all that?!

Telonius
2008-11-26, 04:49 PM
Wait, that was the one on account of giant rats yeah?

Right, they were escaping all of the giant rats back in the Old World, since they caused the Black Death. So anyway, the last surviving member of the original colonists, Mr. Richard (curse you, forum filter) Clark, hosts the Thanksgiving Day Parade, which they hold in New York. Which was actually New Amsterdam back then, but they have it there anyway. I think it has something to do with the first recorded practical joke in the continent, when the Native Americans got the colonists to put fish in their corn when they were planting it.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-26, 05:08 PM
Right, they were escaping all of the giant rats back in the Old World, since they caused the Black Death. So anyway, the last surviving member of the original colonists, Mr. Richard (curse you, forum filter) Clark, hosts the Thanksgiving Day Parade, which they hold in New York. Which was actually New Amsterdam back then, but they have it there anyway. I think it has something to do with the first recorded practical joke in the continent, when the Native Americans got the colonists to put fish in their corn when they were planting it.

Thank you. I'm glad I've finally got to the bottom of this mysteriously obscure festival.

Sereg
2008-11-27, 12:39 AM

Pretty much the same here. Next year it will be worse because my parents won't pay for half my rent anymore.

Zakama
2008-11-27, 02:22 AM
-Telescope
-Computer headset
-Cell Phone

I can't think of much right now...

Doran_Liadon
2008-11-27, 02:50 AM
Because of a lack of money my family is making each other gifts and only buying for close friends. Im making my family each a personal OotS style comic.

Faceist
2008-11-27, 09:36 AM
I thought I'd be awesome and get the Dark Knight and In Bruges on DVD for my best friend. And the Dark Knight and In Bruges on DVD for my girlfriend. And the Dark Knight and In Bruges on DVD for my second, third, and fourth best friends. And my sister. Okay, I'm not very imaginative, and they all thought the films were awesome yet don't own them yet.

I'm treating myself to a drumkit, though. And for nostalgias sake a SNES and Super Mario World. Meeeemories.

Jack Squat
2008-11-27, 09:40 AM
And for nostalgias sake a SNES and Super Mario World. Meeeemories.

Hmm...I still have that. I should hook it up.

I'm getting my girlfriend some sheet music. Shopping for band kids is easy :smalltongue:

I think I've dropped enough hints to everybody that I want a NERF Vulcan, we'll see what comes of that.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-27, 12:22 PM

It's alright, you can call them "injustly-treated indigenous denizens." :smalltongue::smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smallbigg rin::smalltongue:

Let's see...

Mum - kitchen knife (she has no good ones)
My good ex-gf - kitchen knife
Ex's Friend - also a kitchen knife

Trying to get rid of a couple of them, eh? :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

What do I want for xmas?

- somebody I find attractive to stick a bow on their head and say that they're my present. :smallamused:
- apron that says: "will cook for sex chocolate"

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Phae Nymna
2008-11-28, 05:18 PM
Lessee hur...

I'm buying for:

Mum
Dad
Brother
2 Almost Sisters*
Aunt
Cousin
Almost Mum*
Almost Dad*

*The "Almosts" are the family I stayed with during my evacuation from Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

What They Like

Mum
-Likes art, and nice decor that doesn't clutter.
Dad
-Likes golf, nice clothing, his downfall is that he is EXTREMELY particular.
Brother
-Likes vidja games, is at college in New Hampshire, so anything small and versatile, especially warm is good.
2 Almost Sisters
-One at college is slightly more masculine than most filles, and one in high school is kinda valley girl.
Aunt
-Anything indulgent or pretty. Reusable things that bring physical comfort or wellness.
Cousin
-Guitar things, clothing.
Almost Mum
-Health things, comfortable clothing, home decor, and homemade things.
Almost Dad
-Blues and jazz CDs, books, fine clothing, tea.

What's Probable

Mum
-Things to help organize (Target). Smith & Hawken sorts of ornaments and purty art made by me.
Dad
-A nice hat.
Brother
-A leather jacket.
2 Almost Sisters*
-College Sistah: Warm Clothes/Good Food
-High School Sistah: UGGs or Mignon Faget bracelet.
Aunt
-Valenki and Orenburg Shawls
Cousin
-Scarves *Raises Collin Shield* and Jackets
Almost Mum*
-Throw Blankets
Almost Dad*
-Tea Kettle & Loose Tea

My Utterly Ridiculous and Totally Convoluted List

Akubra Slouch Hat
A TF2 Medic Coat
A Kroenen Tonfa Swords
A New Ushanka
An Admiral's Overcoat
A Saber for Champagne-Opened-Via-Sabrage
A Kroenen Mask
A Guy Fawkes Mask
Some New Neckties
A New Suit
A Tails Coat
A Beaver Felt Top Hat
A Luftwaffe Sword (WWII)
A Straight Razor
A More than Capable Gaming Computer or the Things to Upgrade my current PC.
An External Hard-drive

Stadge
2008-11-28, 06:02 PM
Hmm, I've got a few to buy for, but haven't actually sorted most of them (I’m waiting to see how much money I have after collectormania Glasgow :smalltongue:)

But the ones i do know:

already got signed pictures of David Boreanaz and Alyson Hannigan, a Buffy wall clock and I’m awaiting tickets for the Boomtown Rats in February for my girlfriend. May add chocolates just for good measure lol
And I've got my Dad a ticket for the Pogues, so he's sorted
I need to buy it, but I’m buying my Mum the dvd of mama mia lol
[/LIST]

As for the rest I haven’t a clue, still need to buy for:

my step-dad
his mother
my sister and her husband
my neice (her father doesn't do presents for the rest of us, so I won't bother for him)
something hitchhikers based for my college secret-santa
and something for my girlfriends mum, dad and brother, though that probably wont be too much as i don't think they expect anything off me (I’ve been dating their daughter four and a half months)

So yeah, I think that may well be it. Any ideas?