PDA

View Full Version : Would this be fair (treasure question)

BRC
2008-11-25, 07:14 PM
So, my group uses a treasure system we like to call "Treasure Packets".

The DM Calculates the treasure for the adventure divided by the number of players, then picks some magic items abit over that value. When it's loot time, some people get the magic items and everybody else gets the cash. If a magic item is unwanted, it's assumed you sell it for the value you would get by taking cash. Because it's sometimes unknown how many people are going to be at a given session, this system works well.

That said, I had an idea for an encounter, during which a lightning attack would mess up the first time it hit a PC. Still dealing damage but giving the PC the ability to use Shocking Grasp twice per day at CL 5 as a piece of magic crystal or something embedded in their hand. Value wise it works out as a treasure, however, it would mean that PC would have their treasure (as awsome as it is) Thrust upon them. I personally think this would be awsome, but my PC may feel cheated.

I'm just wondering what you think about this?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-25, 07:16 PM
If the PC doesn't like it say that he can have it removed and that many wizards would pay dearly for it (cut out the crystal shard and jam it in their hand).