PDA

View Full Version : What are good Shapechange options for my familiar?

Frosty
2008-11-25, 11:21 PM
Assuming that the DM is allowing my familiar to keep Shapechange after I cast the spell and Share it with my familiar. What might be a good form for it become? With a max HD of 25, I was thinking a demon lord, but those are unique. What creatures of up to 25 HD would be good to shapechange into for my familiar? There are no devils in this world. I currently have 21 HD, so I'd appreciate advice for both 21 and 25 HD limits.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-25, 11:25 PM
Dragons are always nice. I believe one of the classics is the Chronotryn from Fiend Folio - it's not 21 HD, but it can take two full-round actions per turn, and some other interesting stuff.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-25, 11:43 PM
Shadesteel Golem's are nice. Immunity to magic, a ton of other nice abilities, and a flight speed of 90 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Dragons are nice as well. Thanks to shapechange your familiar can flip between colors every round, meaning it never has to wait to renew it's breath weapon.

A lot of it depends on what you want your familiar to be doing. And the specific situation. A lot of Shapechanges power comes from being able to pit the optimal form for the circumstances.

Frosty
2008-11-26, 12:27 AM
Assume that dragons are out of the question, because they are UNIQUE in this campaign. Strangely enough, we've also never met any Angels or Archons or even Constructs. I'll need to have a bit list prepared and ask which forms my DM allows/says exists in the world. We've met just about every kind of DEMON however, so shifting into a Balor is definitely an option. Any 21 to 25 HD demons out there?