PDA

View Full Version : [1ed-3ed] Playing a betting game with Death?

newbDM
2008-11-25, 11:26 PM
Some information on my homebrewed setting and cosmology to understand this:

My games are very low-magic.
I have always disliked how easy and hassle free coming back from the dead is in D&D, so I made houserules which made it much more difficult in my games. For one, casters (aside from possibly adepts) are only possibly options for when you get to high level, or perhaps adepts. Secondly, I removed the gp price for the spells, and replaced it with the need to draw "life force" (basically years) from one willing individual to restore and restart the slain individual's body, and a ritual to appease Death (an over deity in my game, who personally reaps the souls of the dead. see below.) and convince him to bring back the individual to his body.
Whenever a PC dies I temporarily pause the game/encounter, I describe to the player that suddenly it seems like everything from the people in the area to the wind have frozen in place, and they can't seem to move, yet still see from their open eyes and hear. Then they see suddenly see a robed male figure of their race approach them from a distance (if in a closed room appear to walk through a wall), and as it nears they see an ornamented scythe in it's hand and notice it's face and hands are skeletal. (If the creature is non-humanoid, I get more creative). The being then talks to them (often first serious and scary, but then it always turns comical) and tells him/her they just bit the bullet, waves it's hand allowing them to move (usually followed by a surprise when they see their body left behind), and tells them to follow him.
Death has followers in basically all races (except perhaps Fey who are truly immortal), since everyone is eventually gonna die.
All creatures retain their memories and most of their abilities in the afterlife, instead of forgetting everything like it says in Deities and Demigods (or was it Manual of the Planes?). (I really hated that part).

Here is how I attempted to writeup Death:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/Celestialdragon100/Lord_of_Time_by_Ironshod.jpg
Death
Greater God (Neutral)

Death is a being who holds say over all mortal creatures. He is the one who reaps all souls from their mortal shells and guides them to whatever afterlives they have earned. No being is beyond the reach of his scythe, not even the gods themselves. He has existed since the very beginning, and he will exist long after the very last living creature in the multiverse has taken it's last breath.

Death appears as a skeletal version of a male member of the species who is observing him, or in a similar form which represents death to the creature's species if it does not have a skeletal structure. If in the form of a humanoid shaped creature Death is usually clad in a hooded gown consisting of colors traditionally related to death in the observer's culture, and he will always be holding a large menacing scythe in his hands.

Although Death is believed to have complete authority to decide when any and all creatures will meet their end, Death prefers to stand by and watch as the creature's own actions determines it's own end.

Portfolio: Death, time, mortality, destruction, peace, rest.
Domains: Death.

Clergy Training:
The clerics and other divine casters of Death vary widely in their ways, methods, and beliefs depending on the given culture and race. All creatures, with a few exceptions such as fey, understand death and their mortality on some level. Although most sentient mortal creatures concerned with death tend to focus on their afterlives, usually in the worship of deities (although it is not required to have an afterlife), some choose to revere the reaper himself.

Death being a somewhat hard to interpret, and impossible to predict, being his worshipers have become accustomed to his whimsical nature. Some heads of his churches might go their entire lives without having a single prayer answered by their god, while stories tell of mere Adepts having weekly games of chess (or other table games) with Death himself.

Quests:
Followers of Death often take quests to hunt down undead and deathless who are attempting to escape their master.

Rites:
Death's clerics and clergy often perform the funeral ceremonies in a community. They also tend a settlement's grave yards.

Death Gods:
All gods with the Death Domain are subject to Death's will. They all recognize Death's authority, and understand that Death could tear them of their power instantly. However, Death seems content to let them be and pays little interest to them.

Death's Realm:
What happens to those who choose to worship Death after they die is uncertain, for no worshiper of Death has ever been successfully Reincarnated, Resurrected, or brought back from the dead by any means. Although petitioners can be visited on their planes of rest, or on their deity's plane by those powerful enough to travel between the planes, no petitioner of Death has ever been spotted on any plane of existence.

Those who try to escape:
As usual, Death is unpredictable when it comes to those who try to cheat him. Death has been known to send waves after waves of his followers to reclaim a single lich, yet he will completely turn a blind eye to others.

Death has occasionally been known to follow such souls on their journeys. He might torment these souls at every opportunity, making them paranoid to the point where they are constantly looking over their shoulders and around every corner. At other times his appearances might be mere annoyances to the individual, and yet in rarer instances Death has even provide them with advice and guidance.

So, a few nights ago while struggling to go to sleep, I started daydreaming of the idea of having the option to "Play a game with Death" for players wanting to bring back their comrades or even NPCs if they choose.

Here is a basic idea of what I ahve thought of so far:

The Game

Death is a concept known to all creatures, and something all sentient creatures will witness more than once in their life times. Different races and cultures have their own ways of coping with the loss of loved ones and friends, and the various clergies of Death have always been there to council and advise those who need it. However, some are not able to accept such a loss, and instead turn to The Game.

The Game is said to be the ultimate game, and is played for the greatest of stakes. By challenging Death himself, one could win back a cherished loved one, or they may end up beside them in the afterlife.

To undertake a gaming session with Death

To instigate a game with Death one must visit a temple of Death with at least an Adept at it's head (in my games this usually means one in a Small City sized settlement). There the individual must approach the head of the temple's clergy, and ask for him/her to set in motion a a game with Death. Although the reaction of the temple's leader varies greatly from temple to temple, culture to culture, and race to race, the clergy will often ask for some form of compensation or donation to the temple in return if the request is approved.

Once a request is approved, the clergy leader calls forth all the available to assist in the ceremony needed to call forth their divine master (again, this ceremony varies widely from race to race, and even culture to culture within a single race). The ceremony usually takes at least a few hours (again, varies greatly), and ends only when Death finally decides he is satisfied. Although Death is free to refuse an invitation to to a Game, he rarely ever does so.

Once Death acknowledges the ceremony and those attempting to summon him, he will send a sign to the head clergy man/woman declaring his soon arrival, or instead simply ignores the entire thing until the clergy simply give up due to exhaustion.

If the temple leader receives the sign, he/she will then gesture to it's underlings to bring forth a small table between itself and the players. He/she will then ask for all those who will play to approach the table, and inform them that once their choice is made there is no changing their minds.

The clergy leader will then walk away from the table, and Death soon comes to fill that spot at the table (how he manifests himself also varies, but more around his personal whims at the time instead of any racial or cultural norms). Each player at the table will see Death as he normally would, so a group consisting of different races will see him in different ways.

The rules of The Game

Only one person is allowed to play at once. Although a gaming session may pertain of multiple individuals playing separate games with Death in turn, only on player may challenge Death at a time.

If multiple players wish to participate, no player order is required before hand, and they may choose who goes next as each new round is about to begin.

Each player may only play once in a given gaming session, regardless of if they win or lose. However, people are allowed to play in other gaming sessions later on.

The stakes of these games is the player's life for the soul of anyone they desire who has passed on. However, the individual on the other side is free to refuse to return, even if the player playing for their life wins.

No one may hire or otherwise convince someone else to play on their behalf, or for their goals or motives. Death is always aware of when this is taking place (he is an over deity, come on), and will simply refuse to play with said individual.

Once a player is decided and he/she approaches Death, he/she is asked by the deity who they desire to play for. Once an answer is given The Game has begun.

Death then decides on the game which will be played. There is no arguing or debating what game will be played, for this is solely Death's decision. It can be any game Death wishes.

No cheating of any kind will be tolerated by Death, and he is always aware of when such actions are being taken (again, he is an over deity). If one attempts to cheat at a game with Death his life is official forfeit and their game immediately ends. However, at the same time Death will not cheat or tamper with the results himself in any way.

If the player is victorious Death will instantly fade away, and return a short while later with the soul of the party who has been won back. Death will then ask the individual whether they desire to return, and presents the individual who won their return, while at the same time revealing the person's true alignment (it is impossible by any means to hide this from Death). If the person agrees to return, Death proceeds to revive the individual (as with the spell True Resurrection). If the individual had originally died of natural causes, Death partially turns back the sand of the person's hourglass to grant them 1/4 of their normal lifespan (based on the individual's race) in more solar cycles of possible life. If the person being revived is of an ageless race, then he/she merely continues on as an ageless being.

If the player loses The Game, Death asks that he/she move aside until the gaming session's end.

Death then proceeds to ask who the next player will be, and the process begins anew.

Once the gaming session is complete, Death proceeds to reap any souls he has won.

*Special rule:
The Game can not be played for beings on the levels of gods, demon lords, demigods, archomentals, etc unless the player is also of a similar level of importance and/or power.

(Damn, that took a while to type up)

So, any thoughts on this so far? Bad, good, terrible?

Any ideas on how to make this better, or improve things?

I am not sure if it is actually a good idea to put this into my games, since it kind of seems to go against my desire to make death/dying "special" and more significant. Does it defeat that purpose?

Would this actually make it easier for players to come back from the dead?

For possible games I was thinking things as diverse as:

Slapping a deck of playing cards on the table (IRL), and having both of us draw a single card. The highest card wins. (Note: He declares at the very start that an ace counts as a 1)
Death suddenly transports them to a massive arena made of bone in an unmentioned plane (unknown to the players, his personal mysterious plane), with him sitting in a Roman Cesar like thrown with the player sitting in a chair below him. Then two of his party members (other players chosen by me who I feel are an even match) appear in the arena. I then isolate the player (take him outside or something) and ask him to choose who he thinks will win, and tell him that if he spoils it to the others in any way he automatically loses. If they are worried about one of them dying, Death promises not to reap the loser (but he won't heal it back up either).
A variation to the above: Throw the player in with a monster or NPC which I feel is an even match/CR for him/her. Again, he/she won't reap the loser. (I might even be able to bring a personal rival or enemy into this!)

Anyone got any other ideas? The funner the better!

chiasaur11
2008-11-25, 11:59 PM
He needs a horse named Binky.

newbDM
2008-11-26, 12:08 AM
He needs a horse named Binky.

Sadly, I do not recognize the reference. However, knowing you it must be awesomely funny.

Seatbelt
2008-11-26, 12:13 AM
Death is only easy if you make it easy. Who has diamond dust laying around? Sure it's got a price. Doesn't mean you can just find it at wal-mart.

chiasaur11
2008-11-26, 12:25 AM
Sadly, I do not recognize the reference. However, knowing you it must be awesomely funny.

Discworld.

Seriously, Hogfather, Reaper Man, and... well, everything with Death in Discworld is pure awesome. Get it from a local library if you can. I doubt you'll regret it.

Also: Thanks for the compliment.

Ent
2008-11-26, 12:26 AM
Do you take any inspiration from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey?

Reluctance
2008-11-26, 12:36 AM
If any old person can bring back their dear departed by playing a game with death, you've just taken most of the sting out of dying. Most people would have grief stricken relatives who'd jump at the chance to bring back their loved ones, so the social ramifications of such games would be very hard to fully factor out.

There are two things you'll want to keep in mind if you make resurrection harder. First, death is always a failed saving throw away. Do you want to make all deaths equally hard to come back from, do you want to have certain deaths be easier to come back from as oops-insurance, or do you want to remove SoD effects entirely? Your answer will have a clear impact on the tone of your campaign.

Second thing, remember that Raise Dead is fifth level. So is Plane Shift. (As of 3.5. I'm too lazy to dig out my older books.) If you want to make death more meaningful, it's simple enough to say that Raise Dead alone won't bring the soul back. You have to head to the soul's current location, and convince both the soul and the resident deity that the soul should be on earth rather than enjoying its eternal reward. Having to actually journey to the realm of the dead to bring back the deceased is heroic and memorable, and should at least avoid the appearance of a revolving door afterlife.

Maerok
2008-11-26, 12:40 AM
Death could intentionally block raise deads and resurrections to guard his favored captures. Then the cleric might need to get a better signal at the very gates of the Underworld or what have you. Maybe even need to set a foot inside.

Gao
2008-11-26, 02:00 AM
You know what game he'd always win? The Game. That I just lost. Cause, you know, I just lost The Game. God damn you.

That said, sounds jive, really. I'd try to make coming back a little easier on lower level characters, though.

Thurbane
2008-11-26, 02:03 AM
Twister? Battleship? :smallbiggrin:

Gao
2008-11-26, 02:12 AM
Dohohoho.

That said, I have yet to see a rock off suggested. This obviously needs to be corrected. Needs more rock offs with Death.

newbDM
2008-11-26, 02:35 AM
If any old person can bring back their dear departed by playing a game with death, you've just taken most of the sting out of dying. Most people would have grief stricken relatives who'd jump at the chance to bring back their loved ones, so the social ramifications of such games would be very hard to fully factor out.

That is a very good point indeed.

Hmm. What if it is something they would only do for a very select few people (say the kingdom's king/queen, a legendary hero/party which saved the kingdom/continent, etc)?

Or what if they would require the person or group to do some epic quest for the temple in exchange, which would normally be far beyond the capabilities of your average commoner or expert (but perhaps an arstocrat could hire adventurers like a group of PCs to do it?). At the very least this option can provide adventure/plot material.

Or what if I made the ritual something only clerics and similar level divine casters can lead (see the excerpt from my houserules to understand why that would be a big thing)?

Excerpt from my houserules:

Divine Casters:

>Although all divine magic is granted by the gods themselves, even the most powerful deities only have so much power to divide among their worshipers. This means that in essence all divine casters are direct manifestations of their deities on the various planes. They are all personally chosen by their god to act as vessels through which it channels it's divine power to influence the many worlds and planes of existence simultaneously. These individuals represent the deity, and are responsible for carrying out it's wishes.

>The number of divine casters a deity commands is directly proportional to the deity's level of power (Greater, Intermediate, Lesser, Demi, Quasi, Small).

>Below is the average number of divine casters in a deity's temple based on settlement sizes (assuming the deity has a following in said settlement):
{table=head]Town Size|Poulation|# of divine casters
Thorp|20-80|Odds are at most there is a small shrine for the deity.
Hamlet|81-400|None. May have a small chapel lead by a resident, elder, or even leader.
Village|401-900|May have a small chapel lead by an expert dedicated to the deity. These individuals are known as Acolytes.
Small town|901-2,000|One adept leading a small church and 1d3 acolytes.
Large town|2,001-5,000|1d3 adepts leading a moderate church and 1d10 acolytes.
Small city|5,001-12,000|1d6 adepts leading a large church and 2d12 acolytes.
Large City|12,001-25,000|1 Divine Spellcaster leading a temple, 1d8 adepts, and 3d20 acolytes.
Metropolis|25,001 or more| 1 Cleric leading an entire monastery, 1d3 Divine Spellcasters, 1d12 adepts, and 2d% acolytes.
[/table]

>A divine caster not associated with a church/temple/monastery/etc, or some other religious order dedicated to a deity, pantheon, or group of like minded deities is unheard of. All divine caster PCs must have a religious organization they are bound to. Even savage races have some form of religious order within their communities, albeit less strict and ordered.

>Divine casters receive great respect and admiration among their deity's followers. To most those who wield their god's power are important individuals. They view these blessed souls as vessels containing the power and wisdom of their very god. Even the lowest adepts are always payed careful attention to whenever speaking, and they will also be welcomed and offered food and shelter.

Notes:

The spellcaster is a homebrewed prestige class I made that is somewhere between an adept and a cleric.

There are two things you'll want to keep in mind if you make resurrection harder. First, death is always a failed saving throw away. Do you want to make all deaths equally hard to come back from, do you want to have certain deaths be easier to come back from as oops-insurance, or do you want to remove SoD effects entirely? Your answer will have a clear impact on the tone of your campaign.

Well, again my games are very low-magic. There is slightly more psionics, but not by much. So I do not think save-or-die is that big of a concern in my games, at least not until higher levels and epic.

Second thing, remember that Raise Dead is fifth level. So is Plane Shift. (As of 3.5. I'm too lazy to dig out my older books.) If you want to make death more meaningful, it's simple enough to say that Raise Dead alone won't bring the soul back. You have to head to the soul's current location, and convince both the soul and the resident deity that the soul should be on earth rather than enjoying its eternal reward. Having to actually journey to the realm of the dead to bring back the deceased is heroic and memorable, and should at least avoid the appearance of a revolving door afterlife.

Well, again magic is rare, and to get a cleric you need to head to a metropolis level settlement (which there are not many of), find a way to see this individual, and convince him/her/it to assist you. Alternatively, a druid serves the same function as a cleric, but for nature deities in the wild, so Reincarnate is not easy to come by either, and you would need to convince this extremely powerful person as to why he should call forth his deity's power to mess with the natural order of things (remember, death is a natural part of nature).

However, I love the idea of approaching a deity (or at least attempting to) in order to try to convince it to allow someone back to the land of the living. Simply brilliant in my opinion. But if I made it the norm, it would be so "epic" wouldn't it? I think it's best to leave that as an option clever players can think of.

Death is only easy if you make it easy. Who has diamond dust laying around? Sure it's got a price. Doesn't mean you can just find it at wal-mart.

That was what I was trying to do. Not make it easy.

Discworld.

Seriously, Hogfather, Reaper Man, and... well, everything with Death in Discworld is pure awesome. Get it from a local library if you can. I doubt you'll regret it.

Also: Thanks for the compliment.

Thanks for the tip. Sadly I have too many D&D related books to read at the moment, but I will keep it in mind.

And no problem. I like your posts.

Wow, it has been a long time since I even thought about that movie. I was a kid when I saw that, and I still remember a Dominos toy I loved relating to it!

newbDM
2008-11-26, 02:42 AM
Death could intentionally block raise deads and resurrections to guard his favored captures. Then the cleric might need to get a better signal at the very gates of the Underworld or what have you. Maybe even need to set a foot inside.

Interesting...

I like your way of thinking!

You know what game he'd always win? The Game. That I just lost. Cause, you know, I just lost The Game. God damn you.

I smells some /b/ in here...

That said, sounds jive, really. I'd try to make coming back a little easier on lower level characters, though.

Well, I was actually trying to do the opposite.

p.s. What is jive?

Twister? Battleship? :smallbiggrin:

I was actually thinking of pulling out my old Power Rangers board game...

But, couldn't you use Battleship to represent both Death and the PC playing with actual navies (but more fantasyis, though) on another material world, as god-like beings on clouds?

As for the twister, not unless it was with a female player, and then I wouldn't do it because that would be wrong of me...

Dohohoho.

That said, I have yet to see a rock off suggested. This obviously needs to be corrected. Needs more rock offs with Death.

How would you do that in D&D mechanics?

And wouldn't he have epic level ranks in everything at over-deity level?

Thurbane
2008-11-26, 02:46 AM
Just as a general point of interest, you know the whole B&T death thing was a lampoon of The Seventh Seal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/)? Great movie, well worth a watch.

Also lampooned/homaged towards the end of Last Action Hero (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107362/).

Drammel
2008-11-26, 02:51 AM
One of the best personifications of Death ever. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal)

Moral of the story? Death doesn't play fair. Ever. That's life.

You might want to revise your #8. One of the best scenes in that movie is when a man climbs up a tree to hide from Death. The Grim Reaper breaks out a saw and gets to work. He doesn't even need to cheat, but he does it because he can. No one is in a position to argue with him. He enjoys his job.

I can understand why an impartial Reaper seems like a good idea when making a betting game, but you're including him in the game for a specific reason. That reason is to make the players a lot more wary of the consequences of dying. Simple reward and punishment. Players will go to great lengths to accomplish goals if they feel the can succeed with little risk. You've introduced the risk with the game, but If your intention is to make your players treat dying as something serious, with very real consequences for their characters put the fear of death in them.

If they play cards with Death, have his priests look over the character's shoulders and whisper in Death's ear. If the characters accuse him of cheating have Death lie, poorly. To take a page out of Bill and Ted's book, if they play Twister, stick Death's raunchy foot up their nose. He knows there's nothing they can do about it and he can rub it in.

If your PCs play with Death and win they will be exceptionally loathe to test him again if they know he'll do everything in his power to rig the game. If they must play him again it makes the experience for them that much more harrowing. It makes playing with Death what it should be, an adventure.

On a footnote (worst pun ever) the Death in Bill and Ted is almost exactly the same character as the one in The Seventh Seal, right down to the Swedish accent.

newbDM
2008-11-26, 04:36 AM
One of the best personifications of Death ever. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal)

Moral of the story? Death doesn't play fair. Ever. That's life.

You might want to revise your #8. One of the best scenes in that movie is when a man climbs up a tree to hide from Death. The Grim Reaper breaks out a saw and gets to work. He doesn't even need to cheat, but he does it because he can. No one is in a position to argue with him. He enjoys his job.

I can understand why an impartial Reaper seems like a good idea when making a betting game, but you're including him in the game for a specific reason. That reason is to make the players a lot more wary of the consequences of dying. Simple reward and punishment. Players will go to great lengths to accomplish goals if they feel the can succeed with little risk. You've introduced the risk with the game, but If your intention is to make your players treat dying as something serious, with very real consequences for their characters put the fear of death in them.

If they play cards with Death, have his priests look over the character's shoulders and whisper in Death's ear. If the characters accuse him of cheating have Death lie, poorly. To take a page out of Bill and Ted's book, if they play Twister, stick Death's raunchy foot up their nose. He knows there's nothing they can do about it and he can rub it in.

If your PCs play with Death and win they will be exceptionally loathe to test him again if they know he'll do everything in his power to rig the game. If they must play him again it makes the experience for them that much more harrowing. It makes playing with Death what it should be, an adventure.

On a footnote (worst pun ever) the Death in Bill and Ted is almost exactly the same character as the one in The Seventh Seal, right down to the Swedish accent.

Dude, that makes so much sense.

Probably one of the best replies/advice I have ever gotten. Thank you.

Oh, and do you think this could help explain why every grieving relative doesn't just go to the local Death temple to get their loved ones back? Sure it's easy enough to get a game going with an over-deity, but everyone would be aware of the odds of actually winning against this semi-mad being. What are your thoughts on this?

Matthew
2008-11-26, 07:02 AM
Just as a general point of interest, you know the whole B&T death thing was a lampoon of The Seventh Seal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/)? Great movie, well worth a watch.

Indeed. Great film.

Serpentine
2008-11-26, 07:11 AM
Along the lines of Drammel's suggestion, and to address the problem of making resurrection easier for lower-level characters, in the afore-mentioned Discworld novels, there is the insinuation that Death lets people play against him, but he only ever loses when he wants to. Otherwise, he cannot lose. Doing that might take away much of the point - you'd basically just be appealing to another god for the release of a soul - but it could be something to consider.

Adumbration
2008-11-26, 07:30 AM
There's one thing you have to have contingency for.

What if the player challenges Death for a game of Dungeons and Dragons? 3.5 version? :smallwink:

I remember seeing a very funny comic about it...

Fan
2008-11-26, 07:32 AM
Death would get very angry when I Pun Pun'd him out of existance.:smalltongue:
Then I qwould porceed to kill him with my batman wizard preparing a gate spell to gate in a Elder Evil.
Woo! God killing monstroisty kill death!

hewhosaysfish
2008-11-26, 07:54 AM
There's one thing you have to have contingency for.

What if the player challenges Death for a game of Dungeons and Dragons? 3.5 version? :smallwink:

I remember seeing a very funny comic about it...

Is the comic you're referring to the XKCD comic about the death of Gary Gygax?

I don't see how D&D would work in this context, though: It's not really designed for 2-person play and it's hard to see how one person could win and the other lose without any question of fairness. The DM just says: "Have you prepared a levle 1 character? Good, good. You are in a 10x10 room with 400 tarrasques. Roll initiative."

Maerok
2008-11-26, 02:05 PM
Break dancing contest. Give a bard a chance!

Telonius
2008-11-26, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking Zoolander-style walk-off. Death hasn't changed his outfit in, what, millennia?

Maerok
2008-11-26, 02:19 PM
I think Death has had time to practice the underwear trick. :smalleek:

Telonius
2008-11-26, 02:21 PM
I don't think he has. Seriously, check out the picture. Dude doesn't even wear pants. :smallbiggrin:

Dervag
2008-11-26, 02:33 PM
If any old person can bring back their dear departed by playing a game with death, you've just taken most of the sting out of dying. Most people would have grief stricken relatives who'd jump at the chance to bring back their loved ones, so the social ramifications of such games would be very hard to fully factor out.Thing is, they have to win; there's a high probability of both dying and failing.

A lot depends on what the odds are.

The social consequences of being able to do this are huge, but they aren't a guaranteed method of bringing back the dead. And not many people are going to risk it.

Maerok
2008-11-26, 04:32 PM
But now the recurring villain can die and come back again and again! Cuz if the players can do it...

OracleofWuffing
2008-11-26, 07:10 PM
Anyone got any other ideas? The funner the better!
I have this scheme in my head where, after the players are accidently or intentionally TPKed, their souls or whatever are intercepted by some deity. This deity offers to bring one of the player characters back to life, and in order to determine which one gets the resurrection, the deity holds a game. Through some application of magic, their souls are temporarily transferred into the bodies of hippos.

At this point, in a booming voice, exclaim, "The winner of this contest will be determined by which one of you binges the most! Feed your gluttonous instincts like the animals you are!"

Then pull out a Hungry Hungry Hippos board game from under the table.

I think you see where this is going.

Too bad I don't actually own that board game.

Lemur
2008-11-26, 11:50 PM
No one mentioned Magic: the Gathering yet? You could make decks for the player to choose from randomly, and Death always gets an all-black deck. Although if you're making the decks, the fairness of the game might be in dispute (then again, this is Death we're talking about, so maybe foul is fair).

Zeful
2008-11-27, 12:30 AM
No one mentioned Magic: the Gathering yet? You could make decks for the player to choose from randomly, and Death always gets an all-black deck. Although if you're making the decks, the fairness of the game might be in dispute (then again, this is Death we're talking about, so maybe foul is fair).

A lot of best M:TG cards are blue according to the "Big Time" players I've met. Blue is big on control, so I don't see why death wouldn't have a couple of counterspells in his deck.

Tehnar
2008-11-27, 03:42 AM
Thank you sir for such a wonderful proposition.

During the last couple of weeks I was scouring forums looking for alternative raise dead mechanics, and I really like this.

The thing is I was looking for a way for the PCs and the occasional NPC to be allowed to be raised from the dead, but generally make it fairly undesirable to the general (wealthy noble class) to get raised. What I homeruled was a system gem worth not dependant on their monetary value, but that each gem has a intristic value. Additionaly in some kingdoms/empires it is forbidden for anyone except the royal family to own diamonds, punishable by torture and death. This houserule was mosty to increase the importance of gems in the treasure, ie to shift adventuring currency away from gp to some other things.

The thing I wanted to justify is why the PCs can get raised once in a while, while kings/princes etc usually do not. A game with death sounds perfect. I can imagine the scenario:

The kings young bride has been slain by evil assasins. Priests agree to try raising the princess for the King, who agrees to play with death to save his beloved. Of course he loses and the kingdom is without a named heir.

Several days later in the grand council:
Grand Duke: My fellow nobles, the priests have agreed to the ritual to bring our beloved king from the dead. What we need to decide here is which brave soul will fight death for the kings soul.
Grand priest: May I remind you, my nobles, that the fight with death is perilous and the facts stand that most who try forfeit their lives.

Silence at the table as no one is willing to die for the king. (or insert quest for a PC who agrees to undertake the ritual while the heir to the throne tries to kill the PC before the ritual is complete)

Grand Duke (in a sad voice): Oh, I think he is happier now rejoined with his beloved. Now onto the next item on the list, the election of the new heir by this council. I propose myself as a candidate....

However I would remove the clause that you can't buy/bribe/convince a person to play a game with death. Just make sure that
a) everybody knows the penalties for losing
b) the game is hard and most who try don't beat death.

All in all this has great potential for RP and also provides a consequence for dying even at higher levels (rather then a speed bump).

7th lvl scrub
2008-11-27, 12:36 PM
I do like the idea for games, but ,in my opinion at least, checkers or some other similar board game should be included.

Details aside I really like this idea and I'm going to run it by my DM at some point, and see what he thinks of it.

Kroy
2008-11-27, 01:09 PM
The Game

I lost the game!

i like your idea and agree with you, but I have nothing constructive. Sorry...

Baron Corm
2008-11-27, 01:55 PM
A lot of best M:TG cards are blue according to the "Big Time" players I've met. Blue is big on control, so I don't see why death wouldn't have a couple of counterspells in his deck.

Also, a mono-black deck would be weak to protection from black. You shouldn't be able to cheat death just by throwing down a Stillmoon Cavalier :smalltongue:. I think blue is very appropriate, as it frustrates a lot of people with all those counterspells, it should give the right kind of experience. So, basically, Cruel Control.

Edit: Ooh, to make it even more unfair, select their deck for them (something slow with few creatures which you will just counter), and if it's someone who has never played before, let them figure it out themselves :smallamused:.

By the way, I also like the whole idea, OP. Instead of pausing the whole encounter to give the player their death, maybe wait until after it's done, though? While you talk to the player, the other players can do noncombat things which don't require you.

Vexxation
2008-11-27, 01:59 PM
If I were making a Magic deck for Death, I'd go with the hated and cruel enemies, the Slivers. Seriously, you get enough Slivers in play, and pretty soon you have eight 12/9 creatures with Flying, Trample, and a mess of other abilities. Not to mention, they look cool.

The hard part is getting the mana for them, though. Too many colors to work reliably.

chiasaur11
2008-11-27, 02:17 PM
He should also have Gleemax and Mox Lotus.

Just because.

Deepblue706
2008-11-27, 02:31 PM
I'd challenge Death to a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock (http://www.samkass.com/theories/RPSSL.html).

Mikeavelli
2008-11-27, 03:55 PM
Is the comic you're referring to the XKCD comic about the death of Gary Gygax?

I don't see how D&D would work in this context, though: It's not really designed for 2-person play and it's hard to see how one person could win and the other lose without any question of fairness. The DM just says: "Have you prepared a levle 1 character? Good, good. You are in a 10x10 room with 400 tarrasques. Roll initiative."

Pun-Pun is level 1 these days. . .