PDA

View Full Version : Favoured Soul

Mikeal
2008-11-26, 12:19 AM
Does anyone have any tips on how to go about altering the favoured soul class so it gets domains, but not become overpowered?

Captain Six
2008-11-26, 12:29 AM
Does anyone have any tips on how to go about altering the favoured soul class so it gets domains, but not become overpowered?

I've always found it odd that the Arcane Disciple feat lets arcanists get divine domains but any divine caster beyond a cleric is out of luck. I'm sure most DMs would let you grab that feat for a divine class.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-26, 12:33 AM

Just give it domains.

Maerok
2008-11-26, 12:43 AM
I believe that word on the street is that it isn't overpowered to begin with. Adding a domain has been discussed before and seems appropriate.

monty
2008-11-26, 12:44 AM
Contemplative prestige class from Complete Divine. Gets one bonus domain at first level, and another at 6th, along with some other features.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-26, 08:55 AM
Contemplative prestige class from Complete Divine. Gets one bonus domain at first level, and another at 6th, along with some other features. That's pretty tough for a Favored Soul to enter, though. Contemplative requires Knowledge (religion) 13 ranks, and that's (amazingly enough) a cross-class skill for a Favored Soul. So straight FSs only qualify to enter Contemplative after level 23.

Eloel
2008-11-26, 09:01 AM
Yet a cleric for 10th level, with enough intelligence, would let you use it at lvl 11. Assuming your Int is not high enough, 9-10 helps. Also, 1 level dip into cleric at 1st level may also help.

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-26, 09:01 AM
Human favored soul and Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny.

Kantur
2008-11-26, 09:14 AM
As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, but Able Learner only allows you to purchase cross class skills at one skill point per rank, but you still have to abide by the cross class maximum ranks.

kamikasei
2008-11-26, 09:14 AM
Someone, I think Person Man, had a domain Favored Soul homebrew floating around these boards. Instead of gaining spells known you gain access to new domains as you level, effectively adding all their spells to your spells known. Served to differentiate them from clerics and reinforce the ties to the deity. Take a look, it seemed pretty interesting.

Alternatively, just say that you can choose from your deity's domains when selecting spells known.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-26, 09:16 AM
On the Knowledge (Religion) problem, didn't Wizards say that not having that skill was a mistake, and you could go ahead and assume it's a class skill?

Curmudgeon
2008-11-26, 09:27 AM
On the Knowledge (Religion) problem, didn't Wizards say that not having that skill was a mistake, and you could go ahead and assume it's a class skill? Nope. Various people have said that, as a reasonable house rule, you could swap Knowledge (arcana) for Knowledge (religion) (see Dead Levels II (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x), for instance). But neither the errata nor FAQ have said that the skills listed for Favored Souls are in error.

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-26, 09:43 AM
Nope. Various people have said that, as a reasonable house rule, you could swap Knowledge (arcana) for Knowledge (religion) (see Dead Levels II (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x), for instance). But neither the errata nor FAQ have said that the skills listed for Favored Souls are in error.

If it's from archives, I think you solved the problem.

Darrin
2008-11-26, 09:45 AM

Planar Touchstone linked to the Catalogues of Enlightenment will give you a domain ability.

There are PrCs other than Contemplative that can add domains.

Church Inquisitor (CDiv): Inquisition domain.
Divine Oracle (CDiv): Oracle domain.
Seeker of the Misty Isle (CDiv): Travel and Magic domain.
Dracolyte (Draconomicon): Glory or Domination domain.
(There are a couple others, but they require turn undead)

Assuming you can nab at least one domain, Sovereign Speaker (Faiths of Eberron) can get you *nine* more.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-26, 11:02 AM
Assuming you can nab at least one domain, Sovereign Speaker (Faiths of Eberron) can get you *nine* more. Hey, a Domain Draught (Magic Item Compendium) will satisfy the domain part of the entry requirement for this PrC -- and the first level gives another domain, so you're still good once the Draught wears off a day later.

EDIT: There's another benefit to this PrC with Favored Souls. You've got to worship all of the Sovereign Host, without favoring any of the individual deities. And when you enter you gain Weapon Proficiency with all of the favored weapons of those deities. So a Favored Soul would also get Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization in every one of those weapons!

monty
2008-11-26, 02:56 PM
There's a feat somewhere (I don't remember where, but it's in Crystal Keep) called Education (or Educated, or something like that) which makes all Knowledge skills in-class.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-26, 06:11 PM
There's a feat somewhere (I don't remember where, but it's in Crystal Keep) called Education (or Educated, or something like that) which makes all Knowledge skills in-class. It's Education, and it appears in both Eberron Campaign Setting and Player's Guide to Faerun. As it's setting-specific that could mean that a DM will disallow it in Greyhawk. Even if it is allowed, you'd need that extra feat and 10 levels of FS before you could enter Contemplative, and I don't see a good fit between the more martial Favored Soul and the retiring Contemplative. (Cloistered Cleric and Contemplative, however, is a very harmonious match.) I really like the synergy between FS and Sovereign Speaker, though that PrC is extremely Eberron-specific.