PDA

View Full Version : Blood Ore [New Material, Creature]

Icewalker
2008-11-26, 12:57 AM
Blood Ore
This special material, known originally as Haima Ore, is found in all variety of locations with little geographical similarities between them. The widely proposed and most accepted theory is that this magical material is formed over centuries in any locations where excessive blood is shed over stone, generally due to a great battle in the distant past. In it's raw form, Blood Ore is mostly lacking in magical qualities, doing nothing but moving slightly towards a living being like metal drawn to a weak magnet. However, when tempered with iron into the red-tinted bloodsteel, the material takes on much more useful magics. Any weapon made of bloodsteel is attracted to living flesh, providing a +1 bonus to hit against any living target (Stacking with masterwork). Also, armor made from bloodsteel fits more closely and easily, reducing armor's normal restrictive effect on the movement of the wearer. Any armor made of bloodsteel has it's armor check penalty is lessened by 1 (stacking with masterwork) and the maximum dexterity bonus is increased by one. Further, the pull of an item made of bloodsteel allows the wielder or wearer of such an item to detect living things close to them, effectively providing them with the lifesense ability out to 15 ft.

Lifesense: The wielder or wearer of any bloodsteel weapon or armor can detect the direction of any living creatures within 15 feet, just as if it possessed the blindsense ability.

Only weapons, armor, and shields normally made of metal can be fashioned from bloodsteel.

{table=head]Type of Bloodsteel Item|Item Cost Modifier
Ammunition|+60 gp
Light armor|+5,000 gp
Medium armor|+10,000 gp
Heavy armor|+15,000 gp
Weapon|+3,000 gp
Shield|+2,000[/table]

Bloodsteel Chain: This tight-fitting chain of bloodsteel is made to be worn around a wrist, or as a necklace. Provides the wearer with bloodsteel's lifesense ability for a cheaper price than a full weapon.
Price 1,000 gp.

[hr]

Iron Rose
Medium Construct
HD 12d10+20 (86 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +6
AC 28; touch 16; flat-footed 22
(+12 Natural, +6 Dex)
BAB/Grp +9/+14
Attack Armblade +17 (1d8+5/19-20)
Full-Attack 2 Armblades +17 (1d8+5/19-20)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Blood Rose Execution, Blood Frenzy
Special Qualities Construct Traits, Darkvision 60 ft, Lifesense, Bloodsteel Attacks, DR 10/adamantine, low-light vision
Saves Fort +4 Ref +10 Will +7
Abilities Str 20, Dex 23, Con -, Int 17, Wis 16, Cha 19
Skills -
Feats -
Environment Any
Organization Solitary or Slaughter Bouquet (3-12)
Challenge Rating 9
Treasure Normal
Alignment Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement Medium (13-20)

The deeply red-tinted metal form is of some of the most beautiful craftsmanship you've ever seen. The body is simple yet beautiful and lithe, decked in elegant flowing motifs of veins and flowers. The face is but one large forwards blooming rose. Tendrils trace the arms down to the points at the end, with five equally spaced hairline thin seams tracing straight lines halfway up the arms.

The Iron Rose is a rare and extremely feared construct. There are few of them in existence, and nobody knows their true origin. It is known only that they are wandering machines that revel in violent slaughter. They are most well known for the 'blood roses' they leave behind when they fight: whenever an Iron Rose lands a perfect blow, their arm opens into five bars which spike outwards, tearing the target into pieces and leaving a rose-patterned nova of blood on the ground.

Blood Rose Execution (Ex): Whenever an Iron Rose scores a critical hit, it immediately opens the five bars of it's pointed arm, tearing apart the target's body, dealing 1d6 Constitution damage.

Blood Frenzy (Ex): Whenever an Iron Rose uses it's Blood Rose Execution ability, it enters a wild frenzy of carnage. It gains a +4 bonus to Strength and Dexterity, and the critical range of the Iron Rose's armblades doubles, increasing to 17-20.

Lifesense (Su): The full bloodsteel construction of Iron Roses allows them to notice and locate living creatures within 60 feet, just as if they possessed the blindsight ability. It also senses the strength of their life force automatically, as if it had cast deathwatch.

Bloodsteel Attacks (Su): Because Iron Roses are constructed entirely of bloodsteel, they gain a natural +3 bonus to hit with their armblades.

[hr]
Inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematite)

I felt I hadn't been doing enough homebrew. I've had a halt in it, certainly, and I didn't feel like working on my campaign. Went searching for inspiration to make some individual bit of homebrew, and...here we are.

Draken
2008-11-28, 10:32 PM
I would change the blindsight to blindsense. Blindsight allows you to pinpoint a creature within the area, while blindsense only tells you there is a creature on that direction. This is much more likely considering the 'magnetic' pull comparation.

The monster looks nasty. Well done.

Icewalker
2008-11-28, 10:48 PM
Ah, I didn't know that that existed, thanks for the tip.

Baron Corm
2008-11-29, 12:05 PM
I think you just missed it because you even gave the bloodsteel chain, but bloodsteel ammunition grants lifesense for just 60 gp.

The iron rose is pretty scary, but I feel like the mechanics of its execution ability don't do the description justice. Perhaps a Fortitude save vs death would be in order?

SurlySeraph
2008-11-29, 07:15 PM
Cool. I might have to steal these for a setting I'm working on.

Draken
2008-11-29, 11:38 PM
Better than death. Make Execution leave the target at -9 HP on a failed save, or deal the constitution damage on success (or just bonus critical damage, like, 6d6 oo so).

Edit: On execution dealing bonus damage (suggestion on this very post. Make it special "trauma damage" which would be hard to heal and maybe even wound the target for extra damage each round.

sigurd
2008-11-30, 12:07 AM
Some postulate that Iron Roses are created by the gods after a particularly heinous or cowardly battle. Some terrible lords have been met by one of these constructs while gloating over their success.

Beaten forces trading what they still possess to send the victor a rose.

Sigurd

Icewalker
2008-11-30, 02:06 AM
I think you just missed it because you even gave the bloodsteel chain, but bloodsteel ammunition grants lifesense for just 60 gp.

I'm aware of that, which is why I phrased it "wielder or wearer". As written, you could argue you could do it with ammo, but the hopefully pretty clear implication is that it has to be a weapon or armor of some sort.

As to changing the execution, I was worried it might be a little powerful, as it gets an attempt every critical...