PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Casters need a component or foci for everything in my multiverse, so would al...

newbDM
2008-11-26, 04:22 AM
[3.5]Casters need a component or foci for everything in my multiverse, so would allowing them to cast until they run out be a good idea?

I run a very low-magic homebrewed multiverse/setting, and I do not truly want players to be able to play casters in my games.

The exception is adapts, since they are less powerful, and because I am trying to make them more role-playing dedicated by having it so they (and all divine casters) are highly respected and treated as walking representatives of their god. However, since they are really low on the power and healing scales I am worried no one would go for them.

I want them playable, which at least for me would be the case with he role-playing potential, but I understands many (I'd say most) people are not in it for the role-playing. At the same time I don't want them to be near a cleric's or other caster's power level, though, so I am confused as what to do.

Here are some excerpts from my houserules document concerning casters to explain what I have implemented so far:

All Magic (Both Arcane & Divine):

Magic is an extremely rare thing to come across on the Plane of Origin. Divine magic is usually only seen in the largest of holy temples, while arcane magic is almost exclusive to the mighty dragons.

>All spells have an automatic 5% failure chance.

>Whether arcane or divine, no mage simply learns new spells at level up. All casters must either track down a spell to add to their repertoire, or they must research spells on their own.

A caster can learn up to as many spells as indicated in her class's Spells Known table. Casters with spellbooks have no limit to the number of spells then can potentially learn.

All casters must learn their spells using one of the two following methods:
a) Although scrolls are extremely rare items, a caster who happens to come across one can learn a spell from it using the following method, provided it is on her spell list.

Note: Arcane casters can also use the following method to learn spells from a spellbook. However, only Wizards and a handful of their arcane spellcaster lackeys posses such powerful items, so they are both extremely rare and guarded viciously.

No matter what the spell’s source, the caster must first decipher the magical writing (see Magical Writings). Next, she must spend an entire week studying the spell. At the end of the week, she must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). If the check succeeds, the caster understands the spell and has learned it (provided she has not reached her Spells Known limit). A wizard can proceed to copy the spell into her spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook in the PHB)). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

If the check fails, the caster cannot understand or copy the spell. She cannot attempt to learn or copy that spell again until she gains another rank in Spellcraft. A spell that was being copied from a scroll does not vanish from the scroll.

Note: A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from her specialty school.

b) A caster can attempt to use Independent Research to learn a spell from her spell list.

To attempt to learn a spell through independent research a caster needs access to a Research Lab. A research lab contains various equipment and tools for experimentation, and a small library of rare books dealing withe either arcane or divine arts essential for the caster's research to be successful. A Research Lab with a library of books relating to divine magic may cost anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 gp depending where it is being constructed (as determined by DM), while a Research Lab containing a library consisting of books relating to arcane magic is virtually priceless.

Independently researching a spell requires two months of continuous work per level of the spell being researched, and the use of supplies costing 1d10*100gp per spell level (4d10*100 for a lvl 4 spell). After this time period is complete the character may attempt a spellcraft to see if she manages to learn the spell (see above).

If the check fails the time spent is lost and the costly supplies are wasted. However, a caster may immediately try researching the same spell once again if she so chooses.

>All spells require either a material component or a focus to function, even if one isn't listed on the spell's entry.

Below is a list of spells and their required material components and or focuses. This supersedes any material components and focuses which might be listed on the spell's original entry. If there is a spell you wish to use which is not currently listed here please inform me and I will decide on it's appropriate components. Any verbal components, somatic components, and/or XP listed on the spell are still required as normal.

-Blink: (M) The sucker from the tentacle of a Displacer Beast, or a bit of fur from a blink dog.

-Bull's Strength: (M) A flask of ogre blood.

-Cat's Grace: (M) A whisker from a predatory dire feline.

-Cure Minor Wounds: (M) A cotton ball.

-Cure Light Wound: (M) A rare herb known as Cleanse in common.

Note: Cleanse can only be found in the wild. In small cities and larger communities with temples where adepts, or even clerics, reside a small market exists for this herb. Although usually only the local temples' divine casters have need for the herb, a wondering adept is usually allowed to purchase the herb if there is some to spare. The common market price for a Cleanse Herb is 50gp, although it might fetch a higher price in smaller communities or in places where there is usually no market for it.

-Cure Moderate Wounds: (M) A very rare and beautiful flower known as Lunar in Common (Most other races tend to have a similar meaning name for it relating to the moon).

Note: Lunar is a beautiful moonlight-blue flower, which shines with a magical aura of sparking lights surrounding it that resembles the moonlight sparkling off the waters of a crystal clear lake. It posses great healing potential, even for those who do not understand magic. Lunar only sprouts from the ground during a full moon, and unless plucked before the sun rises on the next morning it bursts into a small cloud of small white spores once the sun's first rays touches the small plant's petals. These spores are caught by the wind and spread across the land. The flower's magical sparkle remains even after being plucked from the ground.

Lunar is so potent at heeling that even an arcane magic user can gain some benefit from it. One capable of casting arcane magic can attempt to use a dose of lunar to cast the spell Cure Minor Would, even if she would not normally be able to cast said spell. There is an 80% chance the arcane caster will succeed (this includes the automatic 5% failure chance).

Lunar fetches a fine price in the open market. A common price for lunar in communities with a demand for it is around 300gp, although prices may vary greatly in any community.

-Cure Serious Wounds: (F) A flower that blossomed in the area where a unicorn slept.

-Cure Critical Wounds: (F) A feather freely given by an archon.

-Fireball: (M) A scale from a salamander.

-Fly: (F) A feather from an eagle that lived on the Plane of Air.

-Haste: (F) The caster's own body. This causes the caster to age one full year after the spell is complete. Elves, Fey, and immortal Outsiders instead lose one point of Con for one solar cycle.

-Regenerate: (M) A bit of troll hair.

-Reincarnate: (F) The living body of an alley, companion, family member, friend, or any other individual willing to sacrifice some of his own life force to allow the spell to function. This experience drains five years from the focus's life span, which it quickly ages during the spell's casting time.

Notes:
a) This individual's body is used to focus the divine power need to form an entirely new body for the fallen, and to jump-starts it's system when the soul returns. The reincarnated creature then proceeds to potentially live a full lifespan (based on the creature it returns as).

b) No creature can be forced to undergo this ritual against it's will.

c) Elves and Fey, due to their immortal nature, can not "sacrifice" what is essentially a small fraction of infinity. Instead when elves or fey volunteer to be the focus of this spell they instead enter a long deep sleep which will last five years. There bodies essentially enter a form of suspended animation while it slowly replenishes the life force it lost. Their bodies will not require food, water, or anything besides air during this period, and their bodies cease producing waste.

d) Half-Elves who have chosen an elven lifespan react to this as an elf would. Half-Elves who have chosen a human's lifespan react to this as a human would. Half-Elves who have not yet reached their twentieth cycle can not become focuses for this spell.

e) Although living constructs posses souls, their life force is too different for them to act as focuses for this spell, even for other living constructs.

-Resurrection: (F) The living body of an alley, companion, family member, friend, or any other individual willing to sacrifice some of his own life force to allow the spell to function. This experience drains twenty years from the focus's life span, which it quickly ages during the spell's casting time.

Notes:
a) This individual's body is used to focus the divine power needed to restore the fallen to life. His own life force provides the raw life material needed to repair (or completely rebuild) the fallen's body, and to jump-starts it's system when the soul returns. The resurrected creature then proceeds to potentially live a full lifespan.

c) Elves and Fey, due to their immortal nature, can not "sacrifice" what is essentially a small fraction of infinity. Instead when elves or fey volunteer to be the focus of this spell they instead enter a long deep sleep which will last twenty years. There bodies essentially enter a form of suspended animation while it slowly replenishes the life force it lost. Their bodies will not require food, water, or anything besides air during this period, and their bodies cease producing waste.

d) Half-Elves who have chosen an elven lifespan react to this as an elf would. Half-Elves who have chosen a human's lifespan react to this as a human would. Half-Elves who have not yet reached their twentieth cycle can not become focuses for this spell.

e) Although living constructs posses souls, their life force is too different for them to act as focuses for this spell, even for other living constructs.

-True Resurrection: (F) The living body of an alley, companion, family member, friend, or any other individual willing to sacrifice some of his own life force to allow the spell to function. This experience drains forty years from the focus's life span, which it quickly ages during the spell's casting time.

Notes:
a) a) This individual's body is used to focus the divine power needed to restore the fallen to life. His own life force provides the raw life material needed to repair (or completely rebuild) the fallen's body, and to jump-starts it's system when the soul returns. The reincarnated creature then proceeds to potentially live a full lifespan.

c) Elves and Fey, due to their immortal nature, can not "sacrifice" what is essentially a small fraction of infinity. Instead when elves or fey volunteer to be the focus of this spell they instead enter a long deep sleep which will last forty years. There bodies essentially enter a form of suspended animation while it slowly replenishes the life force it lost. Their bodies will not require food, water, or anything besides air during this period, and their bodies cease producing waste.

This list is not complete yet

Arcane Casters:

>Arcane magic is a rare art practiced almost exclusively by a few races in the multiverse. Among the mortal races arcane casters are almost nonexistent, but for those rare few who have manage to master arcane magic the rewards are immense.

On average an entire race of creatures spread throughout the various planes and worlds has at most a handful of wizards among it's numbers. Other true arcane casters are just as rare, or even rarer (some are even unique to a single individual).

Some races are considered not to have a sole arcane caster among them, such as the savage orcs. The dying humanity is believed to be down to it's last (and many believe final) wizard Elminster.

The most common arcane casters are the Arcane Spallcasters, though true arcane casters always refer to them as "semi-true casters" and argue they are merely over-glorified apprentices.

Exceptions to this trend

-Dragons:
(See The Sorcerer under Class Specific Changes below)

-Fey and Elves:
Fey are as much magic as they are flesh and bone. They posses an understanding of the multiverse and the natural forces it is composed of unlike that of any other creature. This gives them an ease with magic rivaled only by that of the dragons. In addition no fey can ever truly die, so every fey arcane caster who has ever existed still wonders the multiverse toady.

Pure-blooded fey can take levels in arcane Classes and Prestige Classes without restriction, though they must still train in their desired class(s). Half-Fey of all types benefit from this as well.

Although elves have long since broken away from the fey, to some extent they still retain some of their fey blood and magic. Of all the "mortal" races, elves are by far the most skilled with all forms of magic.

All elves have a 5% chance of being born with an innate talent for arcane magic. Provided they can obtain a suitable tutor, these individuals can take levels in arcane Classes and Prestige Classes without restriction, though they must still train in their desired class(s).

Note: The biggest significance of this is that they can potentially train as sorcerers.

Divine Casters:

>Although all divine magic is granted by the gods themselves, even the most powerful deities only have so much power to divide among their worshipers. This means that in essence all divine casters are direct manifestations of their deities on the various planes. They are all personally chosen by their god to act as vessels through which it channels it's divine power to influence the many worlds and planes of existence simultaneously. These individuals represent the deity, and are responsible for carrying out it's wishes.

>The number of divine casters a deity commands is directly proportional to the deity's level of power (Greater, Intermediate, Lesser, Demi, Quasi, Small).

>Below is the average number of divine casters in a deity's temple based on settlement sizes (assuming the deity has a following in said settlement):
{table=head]Town Size|Poulation|# of divine casters
Thorp|20-80|Odds are at most there is a small shrine for the deity.
Hamlet|81-400|None. May have a small chapel lead by a resident, elder, or even leader.
Village|401-900|May have a small chapel lead by an expert dedicated to the deity. These individuals are known as Acolytes.
Small town|901-2,000|One adept leading a small church and 1d3 acolytes.
Large town|2,001-5,000|1d3 adepts leading a moderate church and 1d10 acolytes.
Small city|5,001-12,000|1d6 adepts leading a large church and 2d12 acolytes.
Large City|12,001-25,000|1 Divine Spellcaster leading a temple, 1d8 adepts, and 3d20 acolytes.
Metropolis|25,001 or more| 1 Cleric leading an entire monastery, 1d3 Divine Spellcasters, 1d12 adepts, and 2d% acolytes.
[/table]

>A divine caster not associated with a church/temple/monastery/etc, or some other religious order dedicated to a deity, pantheon, or group of like minded deities is unheard of. All divine caster PCs must have a religious organization they are bound to. Even savage races have some form of religious order within their communities, albeit less strict and ordered.

>Divine casters receive great respect and admiration among their deity's followers. To most those who wield their god's power are important individuals. They view these blessed souls as vessels containing the power and wisdom of their very god. Even the lowest adepts are always payed careful attention to whenever speaking, and they will also be welcomed and offered food and shelter.

Divine mechanics:
All divine magic is granted from deities. This means everyone who wishes to use divine magic must have a deity who grants them their spells and abilities. If you are a divine caster who does not need/use domains you must still have a patron deity who grants you your spells and abilities. This also applies ti classes such as Druids and Rangers.

(Sorry for posting so much information...)

Anyway, I got to thinking. Since I practically made the cost of a Cure Light and Cure Mod spell's component what it would cost in a "normal" game to buy a potion, and since I am making components and foci so rare and hard to get, what if I simply allowed adepts (and all divine casters, although you'd need to be level 15-20+ for me to let you become a cleric) to be able to cast spells as many times as they have the components for?

The big problem I see with this (at least so far) is that for the spells that only require foci (such as the high level cure spells) they would then be able to cast them infinite times. For a high-level and even epic level "walking vessel and representative of a God" I imagine that would make sense, but I am worried about the balance significance for mechanics in combats and such.

Can the pros here please give your thoughts on all this, and if possible some advice?

As always, any help given would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. Potions average about 1,000gp for a cure light, 5,000gp for a cure mod, and 10,000 for a cure serious and are usually only sold or given to kings/generals/nobles, so I am not worried about players simply turning to potions and wands instead of going for a divine caster.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-26, 04:25 AM
Ok, I agree in principal. Not entirely sure how it will work out with your things though. Still, interesting idea.

Just hope your players (or you) don't mind the extra book keeping.

lord_khaine
2008-11-26, 06:12 AM
I want them playable, which at least for me would be the case with he role-playing potential, but I understands many (I'd say most) people are not in it for the role-playing. At the same time I don't want them to be near a cleric's or other caster's power level, though, so I am confused as what to do.

i think this comment is pretty insulting, just because people doesnt want to play a lame kobold doesnt mean they are not interestet in roleplaying.

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-26, 06:26 AM
I like you rules. The only thing, be sure to manage well the no-limit of spell known for book spellcasters.

Didn't noticed other things odds.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-11-26, 09:17 AM
The ideas sound good (although I can't speak for game balance as I do not DM much).

Just a couple of comments:

Note: Lunar is a beautiful moonlight-blue flower, which shines with a magical aura of sparking lights surrounding it that resembles the moonlight sparkling off the waters of a crystal clear lake. It posses great healing potential, even for those who do not understand magic. Lunar only sprouts from the ground during a full moon, and unless plucked before the sun rises on the next morning it bursts into a small cloud of small white spores once the sun's first rays touches the small plant's petals. These spores are caught by the wind and spread across the land. The flower's magical sparkle remains even after being plucked from the ground.

This sounds more like a fungus than a flower (especially with spores rather than seeds). In which case it wouldn't have flowers.

Also, something that spreads using spores like this would be very easy to cultivate - you just need a large courtyard garden.

You might want to change the definition somewhat (for example, having one of the conditions being growing in uncultivated land near a crystal-clear lake. Attempts at cultivation (contamination due to use of iron tools, dead wood in other implements) inhibits the growth of the plant.

-Reincarnate: (F) The living body of an alley, companion, family member, friend, or any other individual willing to sacrifice some of his own life force to allow the spell to function. This experience drains five years from the focus's life span, which it quickly ages during the spell's casting time.

Notes:
a) This individual's body is used to focus the divine power need to form an entirely new body for the fallen, and to jump-starts it's system when the soul returns. The reincarnated creature then proceeds to potentially live a full lifespan (based on the creature it returns as).

(and the same condition for Resurrection spell)

My immediate thought is what happens if the donor is close to their natural aging death? A person who only had a year of so of life left might not power the spell very well.

This could be handled in a lot of ways, for example: take the excess from the caster; have an imperfect casting resulting in a weakend or handicapped creature (or person in the case of the resurrect).

You could also extend the penalties to someone who tried to cast using an unwilling subject, which sounds more realistic than simply not allowing the spell to work with an unwilling donor.

Now, I would expect Resurrection/Reincarnate to be very rare in the world you are building. So... You could also add something like this to the (stronger) healing spells, transferring HP instead of years of life (permanent loss or temporary loss depending on whether the donor is willing or not). This would give some scope for real villians (who would require "volunteers" from the villages to heal his troops).

Any use to you?