PDA

View Full Version : Best games out right now?

TheLogman
2008-11-26, 08:01 PM
So, looking for games for Christmas, specifically games for Wii, DS, and computer.

So, Playground, what are the best games you guys have played on the Wii, DS or computer?

I have Orange Box already, and a good number of DS and Wii games that are first party (Animal Crossing on DS, the Metroid Games, the Mario games). Mostly looking for good stuff not made by Nintendo, or stuff that just came out recently. I like most kinds of games, I prefer something that's multi-faceted or with good replay value, since I tend to play a game a whole bunch when I get it and I like to come back to something new later.

As a secondary question, to anyone with Fallout 3 on the computer, how hard is it on a computer? Is it lag bad?

I am running an NVIDA 8600 Graphics Card with 512 Megabytes of Ram, with Windows Vista. Am I gonna have to upgrade my RAM to run Fallout 3?

Red Sock
2008-11-26, 08:03 PM
Left 4 Dead is simply awesome. Get it.

TheLogman
2008-11-26, 08:05 PM
I considered it, I even tried the Demo that came out on Steam, but it was so laggy I couldn't do anything. I think the problem is my lack of RAM.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-26, 08:49 PM
I you can afford Guitar Hero 4 then get that, man!

Inhuman Bot
2008-11-26, 08:54 PM
If you like JRPG/action rpgs, get the world ends with you for the ds! like, NAOW!

I'd give more explanation, but I fear falling into fanboy rant.

Geno9999
2008-11-26, 08:54 PM
1, If you don't have it, get Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, LoZ;Twilight Princess, and Megaman 9.
2, If you have any of, or all of the games above, good for you!

If you live in Europe, You can get Fire Emblem; Shadow Dragon. If you don't, there's FE Radiant Dawn for Wii and you can play the GBA FEs until Shadow Dragon's released.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-11-26, 09:05 PM
Your RAM is pretty weak. I would suggest getting at least 2G for the newer games. RAM really isnt that expensive. Is your processor fine?

Forthork
2008-11-26, 09:15 PM
Does your computer have 512 mb of RAM, or does your video card? I'm assuming the latter, because almost nothing should run on 512 MB. Left 4 Dead runs on the same engine as the Orange Box games, so you should be fine there, but you said it lagged. Assuming it wasn't the great deal of server lag the demo had anyway, was the lag a random freezing that would last for a few seconds? If so, it is a problem with the multicore rendering option, which, when disabled, ends the lag, but there is a performance hit.

TheLogman
2008-11-26, 10:06 PM
My Computer has 512 MB of System RAM, and my graphics card has an additional 512 MB of Video RAM. Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 all lag a fair bit for the first 10 minutes or so of my game play. Left 4 Dead lagged so bad I couldn't even move, the simplest thing took like a move of the mouse took about half a minute to respond.

I have yet to upgrade my computer's RAM, and I never bought it for its RAM or any special features, so ya.

RS14
2008-11-26, 11:06 PM
My Computer has 512 MB of System RAM, and my graphics card has an additional 512 MB of Video RAM.
That's an interesting system.
Yes, I would get more RAM. You're at the absolute minimum for Vista, and I personally wouldn't want to run it with less than 1GiB.
Edit: And for Vista, that's about a quarter one half of the recommended RAM for L4D.

TheLogman
2008-11-27, 04:18 PM
How about Wii or DS games? Okami looks good, so does da Blob.

And for DS? I heard Professor Layton was good?

Salty
2008-11-27, 08:31 PM
Chrono Trigger. I haven't played the original, so I can't say if the DS version is worth playing if you've already beaten one of the older ones, but I have been playing it practically non-stop since I got it. Also, Geno9999 is right. Get Brawl if you haven't already.

Volug
2008-11-27, 08:43 PM
OKA*is already sniped*

UserClone
2008-11-27, 09:53 PM
I played Okami on the PS2, and in fact still own it, because it was very entertaining and I enjoyed the graphics as well. If you like LoZ games, I'd say give it a go definitely. I haven't played (and therefore can't accurately comment on) the Wii port, however.

Kris Strife
2008-11-28, 01:26 AM
Chrono Trigger. I haven't played the original, so I can't say if the DS version is worth playing if you've already beaten one of the older ones, but I have been playing it practically non-stop since I got it. Also, Geno9999 is right. Get Brawl if you haven't already.

Oh good, thought I'd have to suggest CT.

Have you played No More Heroes yet? Good game, very fun and random, full of senseless violence. Also Brawl, TP and Metroid Prime 3

Gaelbert
2008-11-28, 01:29 AM
Knights of the Old Republic. Best computer game. It's an RPG that's been out for a while, so it should be pretty inexpensive. Get it.

revolver kobold
2008-11-28, 01:32 AM
If you can get yourself some more RAM, look at the Company of Heroes games. Excellent WW2 strategy games, which ran pretty good on my old PC (which only had 1gig of ram and a 7900 series card).

Matticus
2008-11-28, 01:55 AM
I'd have to second the Guitar Hero: World Tour idea. Even though it's not as good as GH3 and is now openly competing with Rock Band, it's damn good game. If you can afford it. :smallannoyed:

TheCheshireHat
2008-11-28, 03:38 AM
If you like JRPG/action rpgs, get the world ends with you for the ds! like, NAOW!

I'd give more explanation, but I fear falling into fanboy rant.

Very, very much seconding this. TWEWY has great gameplay that makes excellent use of the stylus, good music, an interesting story and (this bit is probably more subjective than the rest) engaging characters. I also found it quite replayable. Last but not least, it has an unbelievably funny one-off bonus "level" that had me laughing continuously for the better part of an hour. At least.

And thatīs all Iīm saying because otherwise (as Slaanesh pointed out) we get a (bigger) fanboy rant. And nobody wants that. :smallbiggrin:

Canīt recommend anything for the Wii or PC though. I can recommend you get more RAM. Seriously.

Edited for ze spelling.

The Evil Thing
2008-11-28, 05:51 AM
I am running an NVIDA 8600 Graphics Card with 512 Megabytes of Ram, with Windows Vista. Am I gonna have to upgrade my RAM to run Fallout 3?
No offence but that system is a bit of a joke. Get at least 2GB of RAM, preferably 4. Also, in an ideal world you'll have a dual-core CPU but a 3GHz+ single core should get you through most low demand games for now. (Video card memory isn't really important.)

My advice is not to buy any games and focus on hardware upgrades, especially if you're trying to run Vista. Frankly I'm amazed that you've managed with half a gig so far. I have four and Sins of a Solar Empire hits the top end of my RAM if I load a large map. SupCom just crashes. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-11-28, 09:42 AM
I considered it, I even tried the Demo that came out on Steam, but it was so laggy I couldn't do anything. I think the problem is my lack of RAM.

Well you could download Zombie Master. If I'm correct, its a Half Life 2 Mod that is very much the same as Left 4 Dead. In fact, it came before Left 4 Dead making me suspect that it's where Valve got the idea for L4D.

Thiel
2008-11-28, 10:13 AM
Well, the Thief collection is a good investment if you ask me and according to the box you should ace all system requirements.

A Rainy Knight
2008-11-28, 12:17 PM

Yesyesyesyesyes! TWEWY is one of the few DS games that I still have fond memories of. That and Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

The best Wii games: Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy, hands down.

For the PC, I'm a Sims 2 fan, but I would also recommend Age of Empires III and Supreme Commander if you like RTS games.