PDA

View Full Version : Immunity to ability damage?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-26, 09:28 PM
I have a build I'm making but I need to find an item that will make me immune to ability damage at least once per day. Or some other way to offset several hundred points of Con damage.

I've thought of necropolitan and that works but ideally I would prefer not having to change my type.

So any suggestions?

Glimbur
2008-11-26, 09:33 PM
If you can bind the Vitality Belt to your Waist Chakra you're immune to Con damage and drain. From Magic of Incarnum, it'd take two feats: Shape Soulmeld(Vitality Belt) and Open [I forget which type] Chakra: Waist.

Edit: It's Open Greater Chakra you need, which takes character level 18 and 17 Con.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-26, 09:34 PM
What level, and can it be a custom item? the Cleric/Druid 4 spell Sheltered Vitality from SC makes you immune to ability damage/drain for 1 min/level.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-26, 09:39 PM
I think glimbur a potential answer.

And level 20. Ideally around level 15 but level 20 is fine. Sheltered Vitality might work, I just need to find a way to keep it around. A miniute per day is more than enough.

Hmm, a shield with Time Buttress would do it as well. And that doesn't cost feats either.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-26, 09:44 PM
what are you doing to yourself that can deal that much Con damage, anyways?

Eldariel
2008-11-26, 09:44 PM
Quick list from Surrealdex on items with similar functions:

1] Scarab of invulnerability
2] orb of mental renewal
3] Rod of bodily restoration
4] Talisman of undying fortitude
5] Wraith's woe set
6] Caduceus bracers

Talisman and Scarab grant temporary immunity. The others heal.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-26, 10:08 PM
what are you doing to yourself that can deal that much Con damage, anyways?

My build that get's 60 full AB attacks in a round now has 10 levels of Shadow Sun Ninja in it. And the SSN capstone let's you deal 1 negative level with every successful unarmed strike. But once your miniute is up you take 1 point of Con damage for every negative level dealt.

And the Vitality Belt won't work, I need that slot for my Belt of Battle.

---
Thanks Eldariel, the Talisman of Undying Fortitude is perfect.

Vexxation
2008-11-26, 10:11 PM
My build that get's 60 full AB attacks in a round now has 10 levels of Shadow Sun Ninja in it. And the SSN capstone let's you deal 1 negative level with every successful unarmed strike. But once your miniute is up you take 1 point of Con damage for every negative level dealt.

---

Dear Gods, Tippy... a minute of negative levels at 60 per round?! That's 600 negative levels!! That's simply incredible...

The Glyphstone
2008-11-26, 10:12 PM

---

This I gotta see - how did you manage to make 60 attacks in a round? I'm assuming some sort of wonky combination of Time Stands Still, Avalanche of Blades, and/or other ToB maneuvers, but....60? At pre-epic? And involving 10 levels of Shadow Sun Ninja which means you can't be a full caster unless it's gestalt?

EDIT: Oh, right. Belts of Battle...What is it with the MIC and overpowered belts, anyways?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-26, 10:15 PM
This I gotta see - how did you manage to make 60 attacks in a round? I'm assuming some sort of wonky combination of Time Stands Still, Avalanche of Blades, and/or other ToB maneuvers, but....60? At pre-epic? And involving 10 levels of Shadow Sun Ninja which means you can't be a full caster unless it's gestalt?

It's gestalt. And gets 3 full attack actions (Time Stands Still+Belt of Battle). While being a Thri-keen with Greater Flurry, improved multiattack, a speed fist (thanks to Kensai), and a bunch of other stuff.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-26, 10:16 PM
Ah.

Invisitext.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-26, 10:18 PM
Ah.

Invisitext.
Yeah. And here I was thinking he was planning on abusing a Ring of X-Ray Vision and the Dimensional Jaunt feat to bypass basically any wall that's not designed with plot-protection in mind.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-26, 10:25 PM
Yeah. And here I was thinking he was planning on abusing a Ring of X-Ray Vision and the Dimensional Jaunt feat to bypass basically any wall that's not designed with plot-protection in mind.

Oh, good idea. But just shape the Strongheat Vest soulmeld for that.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-26, 10:51 PM
Oh, good idea. But just shape the Strongheat Vest soulmeld for that.
True. Also makes for nice doors to your stronghold (at least, for a Cleric that can do the selective dimensional Anchor bit by way of Hallow or Unhallow). There's a blank section of wall (that looks just like every other section of wall) that's thin enough to be transparent to X-Ray vision, and on the inside, there's a(n) (un)Hallow Dimensional Anchor effect... followed by a similar blank section of floor, past which is ANOTHER (un)Hallow Dimensional Anchor, this one ringed by a Forbiddence effect (and maybe some traps) to stop all planar travel.

The Third Eye Sense is also crazy-good - standard-action, at-will scrying of a familiar or obvious location - does not target a creature, so no save, no SR. Look around EVERY corner and (unless the DM decides that a location that's obvious based on a magical sensor you're using isn't "obvious") fully map all non-blocked sections of a dungeon before you ever set foot in it.

jcsw
2008-11-26, 11:51 PM
Voidmind template works too.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-26, 11:53 PM
Dear Gods, Tippy... a minute of negative levels at 60 per round?! That's 600 negative levels!! That's simply incredible...

At least it's not OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!

monty
2008-11-26, 11:54 PM

Have to wait until epic levels for that, I guess.

BobVosh
2008-11-27, 12:57 AM

In 15 minutes it would be.

Roderick_BR
2008-11-27, 08:33 AM
That's not incredible. That's Tippy.

"You're already dead"?

JeminiZero
2008-11-27, 07:50 PM
As nice as the Shadow Sun Ninja capstone ability is, wouldn't it be easier to drain levels per hit by casting fell-drain elemental enhancement on your weapons? E.g. Fell Drain Sonic weapon occupies a level 4 slot and can be put into wands.

Edit: That is of course assuming my intepretation of how Fell Drain works with such spells is correct. Fell Drain states that the opponent loses a level whenever it takes damage from the modified spell. Elemental enhancement spells like Sonic Weapon deal damage whenever the enhanced weapon lands a hit, so the opponent could construed as taking damage from the spell when that occurs, and so is subject to Fell Drain.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-28, 09:07 AM
That is of course assuming my intepretation of how Fell Drain works with such spells is correct. Fell Drain states that the opponent loses a level whenever it takes damage from the modified spell. Elemental enhancement spells like Sonic Weapon deal damage whenever the enhanced weapon lands a hit, so the opponent could construed as taking damage from the spell when that occurs, and so is subject to Fell Drain

That would clearly be broken. Stand in the corner and hang your head in shame :smalltongue:

Darrin
2008-11-28, 11:43 AM

Split Chakra will fix that.

Green Star Adept can turn you into a construct, if you can suffer through 10 levels of it.

Sacred Vitality feat from Libris Mortis. Requires turn undead, sacrifice a turn undead attempt to become immune to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain for 1 minute. So if you can squeeze in a 1-level dip of cleric or sacred exorcist, that should work.

If you have the feats open for it, you can also pick up turn undead 1/day with the God-Touched and Divine Channeler feats from Dragon #305.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-11-28, 03:19 PM
Being Undead makes you immune to stat damage. Wasn't there a +0 LA template that made you undead?

The Ghost template has a +5 LA, grants incorporeality as well as a host of other immunities, including stat damage, but may be too difficult to fit into your build.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-28, 03:22 PM
Yeah, but the item works just fine and is only 8k. :smallwink:

monty
2008-11-28, 03:22 PM
Being Undead makes you immune to stat damage. Wasn't there a +0 LA template that made you undead?

Necropolitan, but he already said he didn't want to do that.

shadow_archmagi
2008-11-28, 03:25 PM
Necropolitan, but he already said he didn't want to do that.

I thought a necropolitan was a kind of drink?

monty
2008-11-28, 03:26 PM
I thought a necropolitan was a kind of drink?

:smalleek: I wouldn't want to drink that.

Darrin
2008-11-28, 04:20 PM
Yeah, but the item works just fine and is only 8k. :smallwink:

Only works 2/day. Sacred Vitality can be fueled with the typical Extra Turning/Nightstick cheese, and isn't vulnerable to sundering/dispel/AMF.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-28, 04:22 PM
Only works 2/day. Sacred Vitality can be fueled with the typical Extra Turning/Nightstick cheese, and isn't vulnerable to sundering/dispel/AMF.

Yeah, but I only need it once per day.