PDA

View Full Version : The most ridiculous thing a player has tried to get past you

newbDM
2008-11-27, 08:01 AM
So there is a pretty large thread concerning ideas attempted by players, but I want to hear from the DMs' perspectives.

Also, of these what have you OKed/turned down?

Eldariel
2008-11-27, 08:06 AM
The only thing I've had to turn down was Incantatrix (along with a reworking of Feral for the same game).

mikej
2008-11-27, 08:15 AM
Anything with a level adjustment, generally my players try to approve of them playing some monsters in some book. Things like drow or tiefling I have no problem with but a floating brain ( Psionic book ) or mindflayers from my illithid fanatic player.

Worse I let go was one PC wanted to play vermin lycantrope from the main website, he wanted to be a were-scorpion barbarian. In a campaign were I was going to send powerfull foes it was tough with someone with over 400 hps before epic...oops

jcsw
2008-11-27, 08:17 AM
a floating brain ( Psionic book )

Unbodied? But those aren't floating brains! They have no normal form so the picture is more or less symbolic. (Although some unbodied like the floating brain form... (I'm playing one. Makes for funny espionage.)

mikej
2008-11-27, 08:20 AM
Unbodied? But those aren't floating brains! They have no normal form so the picture is more or less symbolic. (Although some unbodied like the floating brain form... (I'm playing one. Makes for funny espionage.)

Yeah thats it, away from books atm.

The player wanted to be like the floating brains from Futurama. Just didn't know how to add something soo weird.

Saph
2008-11-27, 08:30 AM
Probably the most recent one would be a player who wanted to do the Arcane Thesis one-trick-pony Wizard character. He'd picked Scorching Ray and got it up to 100 damage or so at level 7.

I tried to explain to him that making a character who can do 100 damage with one standard action just means I have to send monsters at him with 250+ hit points each . . . I'm not sure if it sunk in, though.

And the Druid actually mentioned the Planar Shepherd *shudder*. Thankfully he already knew it was ridiculously broken and was just trying to wind me up. :)

- Saph

jcsw
2008-11-27, 09:04 AM
...Body Fuel + Voidmind Template for infinite PP.

newbDM
2008-11-27, 09:14 AM
...Body Fuel + Voidmind Template for infinite PP.

It's people like that who give us psionics fans a bad name. :smallannoyed:

Yeah thats it, away from books atm.

The player wanted to be like the floating brains from Futurama. Just didn't know how to add something soo weird.

I have wanted to get one of my favorite PC to "ascend" like that for a while now. Sort of like in Stargate with the ancients.

p.s. What anime is that cute avatar from?

mikej
2008-11-27, 09:21 AM
Probably the most recent one would be a player who wanted to do the Arcane Thesis one-trick-pony Wizard character. He'd picked Scorching Ray and got it up to 100 damage or so at level 7.

- Saph

To be honest i'm doing the " Arcane Thesis " route myself but with Enervation and in my opinion if I was the DM its pretty easy to work around. Not saying its bad but not ridiculous at all but you pigeonhole yourself in feats to make it viable. C'mon like who has fire resistance anyways.

NewbDM: its Miku Hatsune from VOCALOID ( vocal-synthesizing software ) dual wielding leeks.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-11-27, 09:22 AM
Feral catfolk character.

Saph
2008-11-27, 09:28 AM
To be honest i'm doing the " Arcane Thesis " route myself but with Enervation and in my opinion if I was the DM its pretty easy to work around. Not saying its bad but not ridiculous at all but you pigeonhole yourself in feats to make it viable. C'mon like who has fire resistance anyways.

Of course I can work around it - I just shouldn't have to. I've got 7 players in my game, and I don't have the time to redesign every monster so that it can't be one-shotted by Arcane Thesis abuse. Banning the feat is a much better solution.

- Saph

banjo1985
2008-11-27, 09:29 AM
I let a player get away with a Pixie Assassin character, mainly because it was silly enough to be hilarious. We had a ghost/spectre character in the group, as his player had decided to continue playing as him after his untimely death in the game.

The two of them invented a tactic they called the 'Wailing Banshee.' Because the spectre was weightless but corporeal the pixie could easily pick him up and fly him over the battlefield. The spectre would then cast Horrifying Visage and Ghost Sound and the pixie would drop him on unsuspecting foes as he screamed and wailed and generally scared the crap out of them.

It was a very funny and interesting tactic, which was the main reason I let it stand. I like to reward creativity.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-27, 09:31 AM
The Precocious Apprentice trick.

Turns out in retrospect that it wasn't necessary - the player pulled some Ultimate Magus near-cheese to create essentially an invoker that cast standard fireballs and so forth, and that eventually met his end because he thought meleeing a dragon was a good strategy for a caster.

Also, some people have had out-of-WBL magical items, but I think that's more the result of people being sloppy at math than of them trying to "get something by" me.

mikej
2008-11-27, 09:32 AM
Of course I can work around it - I just shouldn't have to. I've got 7 players in my game, and I don't have the time to redesign every monster so that it can't be one-shotted by Arcane Thesis abuse. Banning the feat is a much better solution.

- Saph

Touche ;D

I never seen abuse like that since the atmosphere in my group is that if you want to over do it...others in the world can also show less restraint. Like the horror of wraithstrike cast upon a dragon...

newbDM
2008-11-27, 10:04 AM

- Saph

You could have just sent out more encounters their way before rest periods. That is the drawback with having one-trick/one-shot wizards/casters like that.

BRC
2008-11-27, 10:21 AM
A Wizard expected me to believe that Acid Orb was a 1d8 damage/level, 1st level spell that gave no saving throw and required no touch attack.

chronoplasm
2008-11-27, 10:26 AM
The paladin in the group demanded a celestial dragon as a mount at level 4.

Epinephrine
2008-11-27, 11:05 AM
A player in GURPS who somehow always had a katana and martial arts training in any campaign setting I ran. Even when there was no orient. Very irritating.

Zeta Kai
2008-11-27, 11:40 AM
Well, I had a player who joked about playing a Kobold Wizard. I though she might be kidding on the square, so I retorted that Sarrukhs don't exist in my campaign setting. She changed her mind & played a Killoren Druid instead. :smallamused:

The most egregious thing I ever let slide was a Locate City Bomb. Once. I thought it was incredibly clever at the time (when I thought it was original :smallannoyed:), so I let it work, under the understanding that it would never work again. I was planning on destroying that town somehow anyway, & the players quickly learned that blowing up a whole town has very bad unintended consequences. :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2008-11-27, 02:04 PM
The guy who thinks Monks are the most overpowered class out there in my group tried to "sneak past me" a "really broken" Monk/Sorcerer build once. I let him get by with it. :smallamused:

(Yeah, we don't really have anything close to approaching character optimization.)

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-11-27, 02:19 PM
The guy who thinks Monks are the most overpowered class out there in my group tried to "sneak past me" a "really broken" Monk/Sorcerer build once. I let him get by with it. :smallamused:

(Yeah, we don't really have anything close to approaching character optimization.)

Monk2 does bring a lot of power to Sorcerer, particularly with the feat that lets you use your Cha to bonus to AC. Evasion also can be handy, particularly at lower levels, and you generally have enough Reflex save to be able to pull it off.

Assuming, of course, that you don't have access to ToB.

Once, I had a guy who always insisted on playing a Draconian, even when we were not in the Dragonlance world. And he insisted that all his actions, no matter how egotistical and blatantly evil (slaying someone who said something that might have been interpreted as an insult to one of his other characters) were not cause for falling from paladin-hood.

Then, when 3.x came around, he wanted to play a half-dragon, so I hit him with the LA, and he complained about that too.

kjones
2008-11-27, 02:28 PM
Well, I had a player who joked about playing a Kobold Wizard. I though she might be kidding on the square, so I retorted that Sarrukhs don't exist in my campaign setting. She changed her mind & played a Killoren Druid instead. :smallamused:

The most egregious thing I ever let slide was a Locate City Bomb. Once. I thought it was incredibly clever at the time (when I thought it was original :smallannoyed:), so I let it work, under the understanding that it would never work again. I was planning on destroying that town somehow anyway, & the players quickly learned that blowing up a whole town has very bad unintended consequences. :smallwink:

The Locate City bomb requires taking several feats that are not particularly useful in any other circumstance... I pity your players.

Deepblue706
2008-11-27, 02:35 PM
A constant enhancement of True Strike on a Longsword for 5,000gp.

"C'mon, it's not like it's a GREATSWORD, or anything."

Yeah, I turned that down.

Shpadoinkle
2008-11-27, 02:46 PM
I'm surpised nobody has mentioned kender yet.

Kantur
2008-11-27, 03:30 PM
I'm surpised nobody has mentioned kender yet.

Amusingly my gaming group just finsihed a Dragonlance game that had a Kender in it. We all wanted to kill him. Do you know why? Because he was so unlike any true Kender that the DM kept threatening to take away his immunity to fear. We'dve actually been fine with a proper Kender who has their fascination for a particular type of object and made sure to pick up things you'd 'misplaced' and had just 'forgotten' to return...

I'd say it's a tough thing to balance - 'aquisition of new objects' and that unbound curiousity with not stealing the spotlight every five minutes and trying to evoke that annoyance and "Irritating little Kender!" in the characters without annoying the players.

Mephit
2008-11-27, 03:36 PM
Yeah, kenders are fun. When played by DMs. As a DMPC, you can even have a hard time not letting your character be nice to them.

But don't ever let them play as a PC. Too much trouble, unless the player knows what he's doing. (Make sure he read the Dragonlance books a couple of times maybe, so he knows how to be subtle)

Kantolin
2008-11-27, 03:46 PM
I tried to explain to him that making a character who can do 100 damage with one standard action just means I have to send monsters at him with 250+ hit points each . . . I'm not sure if it sunk in, though.

Gah, I essentially have to deal with this with great frequency. It's gotten to the point where I know that if a certain person asks for something, I usually can go to ye olde internet and search up the broken combo he's attempting.

Most recently, he went off about my permitting another cleric in the party to have divine metamagic but not him. I patiently explained that the other cleric was using his divine metamagic for fair (and actually kind of underpowered) things like enlarge spell, and not for persist nor quicken nor even maximize. Really, these things could be okay, but the entire party is well balanced around a power level that everyone's having fun with - I keep telling him that if he wants to optimize, he should find a group of people who are more optimization-friendly, as nobody has fun when one person is better than everyone else. Oh, well...

...also I have a party member that's fond of playing hyperevil characters who don't get along with the party and cause strife, which is at least as annoying if not more.

RTGoodman
2008-11-27, 03:48 PM
Yeah, kenders are fun. When played by DMs. As a DMPC, you can even have a hard time not letting your character be nice to them.

But don't ever let them play as a PC. Too much trouble, unless the player knows what he's doing. (Make sure he read the Dragonlance books a couple of times maybe, so he knows how to be subtle)

I don't know, I just think it takes a good player to know when and when not to do the sorts of things that get annoying. I've got a Kender in my current PbP Dragonlance game (see my sig) that hasn't stolen the spotlight or been annoying or anything. (So far - they've only just made it out of Solace, so there's more opportunity for, um, finding things once they get to bigger settlements.)

Aneantir
2008-11-27, 04:12 PM
For a Gestalt game, starting at level 3, a player tried to get me to let him play something that looked like this:

Relevent stats:
Dex 20
Int 18

Level distribution:
Factotum 3//Dark LA +1/Chameleon LA +1/?

And that, my friends, is a whole lot of hide check.

Vinotaur
2008-11-27, 04:13 PM
For a Gestalt game, starting at level 3, a player tried to get me to let him play something that looked like this:

Relevent stats:
Dex 20
Int 18

Level distribution:
Factotum 3//Dark LA +1/Chameleon LA +1/?

And that, my friends, is a whole lot of hide check.

So disallow Darkstalker and have a fun game.

Koolzo
2008-11-27, 04:38 PM
1. I allowed a player to play a duskblade.

2. I allowed a player to play a psion.

3. (Don't ask me why) I allowed THE WHOLE PARTY to construct legacy weapons...

Never again... Ever.

Rinzy
2008-11-27, 04:53 PM
In the game I’m currently DMing, the dwarf favored soul in my party carried around a large stone block for a couple days waiting on someone to cast a hail or grease spell, just so he could try to go bowling with the bad guys’ shins. It finally happened, and one failed balance check later and the others were scraping him off of the walls.

The same player also organized the systematic demolition of one of my mini-dungeons, which I allowed only after the party actually managed to succeed on the long, complicated string of high-DC checks that I demanded. A couple of the PCs got blown up in the process as well, though.

The *same* player wanted to find a way to insert a holy water injection system in to his hammer with a complicated mechanical device. I said no, but the request reinforced why I love this guy so much XD

Doomsy
2008-11-27, 05:29 PM
A Vickers machine gun in a CoC game.

I let him have it. Boy was he was sorely disappointed.

kamikasei
2008-11-27, 06:06 PM

Never again... Ever.

Damn it, Koolzo's players, stop ruining DMs for the rest of us.

Gao
2008-11-27, 06:09 PM
Nothing super bad, actually. My players generally know how to control themselves. I think the worst was some ridiculous combo the Rules Lawyer tried to get me to OK because I was tired and didn't feel like mathing out how it worked. Still, when I was awake later I checked it; it was solid. I have a pretty decent group.

Also, Psions are balanced and so are Duskblades. What.... nevermind. Don't need St. Jude HURF DURFing my posts anymore. Just... they're okay classes. I wish I had psion PCs in my games.

newbDM
2008-11-27, 06:36 PM
Damn it, Koolzo's players, stop ruining DMs for the rest of us.

Agreed. Us psionics fans have a bad enough reputation.

Did you at least read over the XPH Koolzo? Usually the true mistake of a DM allowing psionics.

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-27, 06:39 PM
Koolzo's players, stop ruining DMs for the rest of us.

Quite so! How else am I gonna pull off the Psionic Sandwich?

newbDM
2008-11-27, 06:47 PM
Quite so! How else am I gonna pull off the Psionic Sandwich?

The what?

(post too short. blah, blah, blah)

Yukitsu
2008-11-27, 06:48 PM
It's a psion that permanently swaps his body for a sandwich that retains all of it's manifesting abilities.

Oslecamo
2008-11-27, 06:50 PM
Agreed. Us psionics fans have a bad enough reputation.

Did you at least read over the XPH Koolzo? Usually the true mistake of a DM allowing psionics.

Unfortenetely, half of the people who bother to learn psionics are also uber optimizers, and aren't afraid to push the system to the maximum.

Thus, if your player asks to use psionics, there's a considerable chance he's gonna bring some kind of crazy machine that'll give the DM a lot of headaches.

While the other kid playing wizard/cleric probaby isn't doing anything worst than spaming nukes.

Of course psions get a bad reputation.

RTGoodman
2008-11-27, 06:52 PM
The what?

(post too short. blah, blah, blah)

Basically, via a bunch of various psionic abilities up to and I think including true mind switch, it's possible to play a sandwich who also happens to be a 20th level psion. A version of it found via Google:

Hmph, I think I should edit my original mind-switch thread. The most optimal way to gain a body permanently is no longer true mind switch. It's to use astral seed + mind switch + psychic chirurgery. The result is an XP expendature of 0 XP, that's right zero. You lose no levels, and you gain all the effects of true mind switch.

Anyways, so in lieu of what I just said above, the most optimal way to create the most un-optimal character is to use the following sequence and build:

Race: Elan
Build: Telepath 20
Feats: Any, must have EK(Astral Seed) and skill focus (craft [basket weaving])

1. Acquire a loaf of bread (2cp)
2. Turn the bread into a sandwich (craft DC 5) (probably 2 minutes)
3. Polymorph the sandwich (preferably ham with mustard, pepperoni, salami, and jalapenos) into a fuzzy little bunny. (NPC casting 1200 gp) (1 standard action)
4. Cast astral seed (10 minutes)
5. Ritualistically slay yourself with favored method of suicide. Be sure to place your storage crystal next to the sandwich turned bunny. (I prefer to be killed with a dagger to the heart... :shifty: ) (Approximately 5 rounds)
6. Use mind-switch (the 6th level power) to switch with the rabbit, while in your storage crystal. (1 std action)
7. Metamorph into a troll and smash your storage crystal (now containing the mind of a sandwich). (2 standard actions)
8. Use psychic chirurgery to remove your negative level gotten from committing suicide. (10 minutes)
9. Dismiss your metamorphosis and manifest dispel psionics on yourself (to dispel the polymorph). (2 standard actions)

Congratulations, your ascention to the sublime state of a sandwich took:
23 minutes 6 seconds and costed you 1200.02 gold pieces.

Any one have a more optimal method?

Now, it occurred to me that this might not be a half bad character to play. So long as you pick up the power psionic overland flight and tweak your character levels a bit, you could seriously play a sandwich. Of course your hitpoints or AC wouldn't be much to speak of... but honestly, who is going to kill the sandwich that the fighter packs.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-27, 07:00 PM
Of course psions get a bad reputation.

Don't forget that psions actually were completely overpowered for a number of editions.

UserClone
2008-11-27, 07:03 PM
Holy crap, I think that the psionic sandwich is my new favorite character concept! And I've never even played a psionic character!

The Glyphstone
2008-11-27, 07:04 PM
I love the psionic sandwich...

Ascension
2008-11-27, 07:09 PM
Star Wars: Saga Edition

I'm considering banning Wealth. It's a talent that gives you free money. Lots of free money. At every level. For the most part money doesn't matter all that much in SWSE, unlike D&D... unless you have Starships of the Galaxy and a ship to start modifying... that's when things start getting crazy.

No. No more Wealth. If you want money in my games you will have to earn money, not beg your parents for it!

Haven't really had much trouble with D&D players, though, surprisingly enough. I had a Dread Necromancer with an army-in-a-bag one time, but that was more just plain funny than it was inconvenient.

NEO|Phyte
2008-11-27, 07:11 PM

I'm considering banning Wealth. It's a talent that gives you free money. Lots of free money. At every level. For the most part money doesn't matter all that much in SWSE, unlike D&D... unless you have Starships of the Galaxy and a ship to start modifying... that's when things start getting crazy.

No. No more Wealth. If you want money in my games you will have to earn money, not beg your parents for it!

My crime lord would like to have a word with you regarding your Wealth policy.
*angry wookiee noises*

Ascension
2008-11-27, 07:20 PM
My crime lord would like to have a word with you regarding your Wealth policy.
*angry wookiee noises*

Well, if your Crime Lord can show me where he's getting that income from it might be a different story, but if he expects it to appear out of midair...

Doomsy
2008-11-27, 07:25 PM

Haven't really had much trouble with D&D players, though, surprisingly enough. I had a Dread Necromancer with an army-in-a-bag one time, but that was more just plain funny than it was inconvenient.

That reminds me of the riggers in old editions of SR who would take the million. That always made me sweat as a DM, especially if they were the creative types.

NEO|Phyte
2008-11-27, 07:30 PM
Well, if your Crime Lord can show me where he's getting that income from it might be a different story, but if he expects it to appear out of midair...

He has several highly reputable business ventures throughout the galaxy. It is only natural that some amount of the revenue should go to the owner of such ventures, no?

Kris Strife
2008-11-27, 11:46 PM
A player in GURPS who somehow always had a katana and martial arts training in any campaign setting I ran. Even when there was no orient. Very irritating.

So he was playing Crono then?

If you eat a psionic sandwhich, do you gain its powers?

As to the topic, I let a WoW player make a druid. He didnt go crazy with it though.

Vortling
2008-11-28, 12:10 AM
I let a player play a factotum with FoI. I have a player playing a beguiler as well. I know those aren't broken, those are just the closest to broken my players have come.

Yukitsu
2008-11-28, 12:32 AM
If you eat a psionic sandwhich, do you gain its powers?

Typically no. The sandwich is infinitely more likely to displace your soul, use your body to make a new sandwich and possess that.

Waspinator
2008-11-28, 12:37 AM
Don't forget that psions actually were completely overpowered for a number of editions.

Which is completely unfair to judge newer editions by. Outside of a few specific weird combos, psionics is a really good and balanced system in 3.5. And most of those combos aren't any worse than what a high level wizard or cleric can do with spells anyway.

The biggest problem is when people forget the whole "you can't spend more power points on a power, INCLUDING points for augmenting and whatnot, than your number of manifester levels". That's a big one. Without that, psions can be insane nova-ers who can nuke things into slag if they're willing to burn a days worth of PP.

Heliomance
2008-11-28, 04:30 AM
Alternativel they an pump out a save or die at lower level than a wizard and they can do it around 15 times in a row before running out of PP. Psychic Crush is nice.

Kris Strife
2008-11-28, 04:41 AM
Typically no. The sandwich is infinitely more likely to displace your soul, use your body to make a new sandwich and possess that.

What if you make your saving throw?

Ridureyu
2008-11-28, 04:43 AM
So disallow Darkstalker and have a fun game.

But whatever you do, don't disallow Darkstalkers.

Morrigan. Rawr.

Oslecamo
2008-11-28, 05:39 AM
The biggest problem is when people forget the whole "you can't spend more power points on a power, INCLUDING points for augmenting and whatnot, than your number of manifester levels". That's a big one. Without that, psions can be insane nova-ers who can nuke things into slag if they're willing to burn a days worth of PP.

So true. I had some online players trying to pull that off. Not to mention trying to use that other feat that increases your manifester level by 3, as it actually increased the level of the power you could manifest by 3! Had to bash them with my DM hammer a lot to put them back in line.

Ouch, what to you mean I can't manifest twin maximized quickened 9th level powers at 12th level? Ouch ok I'll stop it!

Thiel
2008-11-28, 07:24 AM
Had a player who tried to get me to OK a human half-dragon half-golem.
Didn't allow it.

Epinephrine
2008-11-28, 08:55 AM
But whatever you do, don't disallow Darkstalkers.

Morrigan. Rawr.

Darkstalker is somewhat overpowered. I'd allow Suppress Presence; that requires first taking the feat "Stealthy", and only applies to blindsense.

brant167
2008-11-28, 10:41 AM
I was running a game with a bunch of first time players. My games focus on rp'ing and stories and has a combat maybe once every three sessions. So, I asked the new players after making their characters to bring in a short character history. Later that week I get a call from one of the new players all excited about the game on Sunday and he ask if his friend who has played a few times can come as well. I only had 4 players so I said sure. Anyway his friend comes in with a monk that has a vow of poverty and a 3 page character history. I sat down in my lazyboy, looked over the character, he had a few 18s but eh he is a monk with a vow of poverty so I didn't say anything. Then after grabbing a sprite I start to read his character history and suddenly realized he had copy and pasted Liu Kang's character history and only replaced Liu Kang's name with the name of his character....once.

Coplantor
2008-11-28, 12:35 PM
You just won the thread.

OK, when I was DMing second edition I actually let a player play a psionic, and 2nd ed psionics were clearly unbalanced.

also, while playing second edition, I rewarded creativity with XP. During a dungeon crawl, a player, the same one who played the psionic, was playing a wild mage, a 2nd ed wild mage. He casted something, I cant remember what, and he accidentally opened a gate to another plane, I tell the players that a gigantic hand comes out from the gat, the wild mages declares that he hides behind a corner, and another player said "I grab the dwarven cleric by the beard and take him with me". He expected me to give him extra XP because he grabbed him by the beard, wich is much more original and creative than just pushing him out of the way.

Also, I once I let a player abuse the bluff skill because I was bored and wanted to see what aould be the result of his actions. For a period of time he tried to bluff about almost almost imposible things, for example, a party member broke into the mayors house, all clues lead to him, and I mean ALL. He opened the door with his OL skill, entered the house and after a while he broke a window FROM THE INSIDE got out and then stabbed himself. Guards found him the next day, he said that kobolds attacked him and broke into the mayor's house, the local ranger who was in charge of security regarding kobolds (with kobolds for FE) found no track of them, but he did found the tracks of the player, even inside the house. There were no signs of fight near the window and again, it was broken from the inside. This plyer and the bluff using one lived toghether, when the guards camed to take the first one to jail, the bluffer said "You have no right to take him away! He said he was attacked by kobolds! Everyone knows that kobolds can use magic! They must have hidden thier tracks using magic!". I didnt allowed a bluff check frr that, because I cant allow the to use the "A sorcerer did it!" defence.

Dragonus45
2008-11-28, 03:26 PM
My players once tried to use magic to take apart a golem by unscrewing its joints. One thought he was being cute and tried to slip Pun Pun past me, hopeing that i didn't know about him. My newest player insists on being Cloud, no matter what he allways has a Battle sorcerer or a warmage with an oversized sword and monkey grip. The one time he didn't he made a rouge with no name called Xero, with an x. :smallfurious:

Ridureyu
2008-11-28, 04:50 PM
Never mind the fact that Liu Kang is essentially a copy-paste of Bruce Lee's character in Enter the Dragon...

Brauron
2008-11-28, 05:32 PM
In the Call of Cthulhu campaign I ran last year...

"OK, I want to challenge myself to not play a tank like I always do, so I'm going to play a complete non-combat character...let's see...looking through the 1920s Investigator's Guide for career ideas, I think I'll make my character a plastic surgeon, since it says that was something new on the scene...oooh! And I'll have connections with the Mafia -- they paid for my medical school since my dad worked for them, and now I do occasional jobs for them. Hmm, since I'm connected to the Mafia, and living in Boston, I need to have a pistol. I won't put any points in it though. Aaand it couldn't hurt to have a rifle -- somebody probably took me hunting at some point. Again, since I'm a non-combat character, I won't put points into it...I'm gonna max out Fencing though -- my character's an A-list sabre fencer. Hmm, the rulebook only has stats for a fencing foil...I don't want that. Hmm, this cavalry sabre sounds about right!"

He had more weapons listed on his character sheet than the rest of the party put together.

He died after putting his arm into an enormous gelatinous monster's mouth (he's a powergamer and a blatant metagamer as well, and he SAID OUT LOUD "This thing probably has damage reduction, but if I shoot down its throat I can probably bypass that"). The monster bit down, severing his arm at the elbow (he complained bitterly about that, since it wasn't the monster's turn in the initiative order) and then died later in the hospital when a Mafia hitman smothered him with a pillow (a one-armed plastic surgeon no longer being of any value to the mob).

Khosan
2008-11-28, 10:39 PM
Had a player try to claim that wearing a mask meant his voice was unrecognizable.

Like that had a chance.

KeresM
2008-11-28, 11:18 PM
After acting like a complete ditz in front of an NPC for 3 hours, the player expected an 18 charisma to be sufficient reason for that NPC to hand over a potentially world destroying artifact.

chiasaur11
2008-11-28, 11:51 PM

If you have an Int too low for psychic powers to work, however, the sandvich merely heals 300 health.

Innis Cabal
2008-11-28, 11:53 PM
Wizards are over powered by a step by step format.

Yukitsu
2008-11-28, 11:58 PM
If you have an Int too low for psychic powers to work, however, the sandvich merely heals 300 health.

160, but that's only if the psion was dumb enough to possess the big guys sandvich.

theMycon
2008-11-30, 12:54 AM
160, but that's only if the psion was dumb enough to possess the big guys sandvich.

Unless you're from Dalaam, in which case it heals six. Should've gone with the bowl of rice gruel instead.

Alaxi
2009-02-22, 01:02 PM
In the game I’m currently DMing, the dwarf favored soul in my party carried around a large stone block for a couple days waiting on someone to cast a hail or grease spell, just so he could try to go bowling with the bad guys’ shins. It finally happened, and one failed balance check later and the others were scraping him off of the walls.

The same player also organized the systematic demolition of one of my mini-dungeons, which I allowed only after the party actually managed to succeed on the long, complicated string of high-DC checks that I demanded. A couple of the PCs got blown up in the process as well, though.

The *same* player wanted to find a way to insert a holy water injection system in to his hammer with a complicated mechanical device. I said no, but the request reinforced why I love this guy so much XD

YOU! I was just trying to have fun! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Just kidding! lol

I guess I did look like an idiot for it. :smallbiggrin:

Advocate
2009-02-22, 01:22 PM

Never again... Ever.

...Wait, what?

I can almost understand Psions being on that list, even though the Big Five (three of which are core) are better.

Duskblades are at best average though.

And legacy items? You are literally better off without one. As in having nothing is better than having one of those. Ignore what the lying fluff says, even if you make a perfect custom Legacy item, the penalties still hit you too hard to justify the expense. So how is this bad? Unless you mean bad as in party shot themselves in the foot and all died.

AgentPaper
2009-02-22, 01:38 PM
So far, the worst was in 4E. Fighter goes into a stance (the one that gives HP when you're bloodied) and not long after goes unconscious. (below 0 HP) After getting a quick heal from a teammate, he then tells me that he's still in his stance, despite having gone comatose and fallen to the ground. I eventually let him have it because he just kept whining about it, but that's definitely a house rule for me now, that stances are canceled by loss of consciousness. :smallannoyed:

Narmoth
2009-02-22, 01:45 PM
Player (ranger) tries to jump on a horse from 2nd floor planning to then engage in combat from horseback. Takes a dex check, and fails it critically. So he hits the fence the horse was tied to in stead. I declare that he won't be able to fight the next 2 rounds because of the temporary dmg.
The player then proclaims that he couldn't hit the fence that way, as he was jumping with his legs together.

LordZarth
2009-02-22, 03:19 PM
You can actually get those holy-water injection things.

PrismaticPIA
2009-02-22, 03:42 PM
3.5. 14th-level party of three against a colossal Green Dragon.

Turn one:

Dragon eats the Cleric/RSoP. Cleric has Freedom of movement and Celestial chain. Cleric takes a Decanter of Endless water, sets to 'Geyser', and shoves it down the dragons throat.
Fighter/Lasher 'spidermans' up the Dragon.
Druid/Master of Many Forms turns into a will-o-wisp.

Turn two: Dragon breathes on Cleric. Cleric takes damages and is no longer dragon-food.
Lasher wails on dragon.
MoMF flies up the dragon's nose, and wild shapes into a triceratops. Dragon's head explodes.

Turn three: Cleric caps the dragon's crown with a Sound Lance.

Priceless.

Advocate
2009-02-22, 03:45 PM
Remember kids, always chew your food!