PDA

View Full Version : The frosted Earth moans... (PEACH)

SlaadLord
2008-11-27, 12:22 PM
Alalari
Small Elemental (Cold, Earth)
Hit Dice: 3d8 + 6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 17, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 natural, +3 Dex, +1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d4+3 plus 1d6 cold) or Ray of Frost +6 ranged touch (1d3 cold)
Full Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d4+3 plus 1d6 cold) or Ray of Frost +6 ranged touch (1d3 cold)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Stonebreaker Frost, Chilled Earth, Ray of Frost
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., Frosted Transformation, Damage Reduction 5/bludgeoning, Earth Glide, Vulnerability to Fire, Immunity to cold, Elemental traits
Saves: Fort +5, Reflex +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +3*, Spot +7, Listen +7
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Power Attack
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Neutral

The frozen ground before you suddenly cracks...and stands up. It appears to be a halfling-sized humanoid made of frozen earth. Two large, sharp stones project from the end of each arm in the place of hands.

Combat
Stonebreaker Frost (Su): As a standard action, an alalari can cause any stone, dirt, or earth within a fifteen-foot radius to crack and heave and send chunks of earth flying. This renders the area affected into difficult terrain and deals 1d4 points of piercing and bludgeoning damage to all other creatures in the area.
Chilled Earth (Su): An alalari carries the chill of the ground from which it formed with it wherever it goes. Touching an alalari deals 1d6 points of cold damage. This extra damage deals full damage to stone objects.
Ray of Frost (Su): As the spell, at will.
Frosted Transformation (Su): If an alalari is dealt more than 10 points of fire damage (counting vulnerability), it transforms into a medium Earth elemental as a free action.
Earth Glide (Ex): An alalari can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing alalari flings it back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

DracoDei
2008-11-27, 06:57 PM
Could it glide into the middle of a 20' thick castle wall and bring down a section of it (perhaps suicidally...)?

SlaadLord
2008-11-27, 07:36 PM
Conceivably, but it would take quite a while.

SurlySeraph
2008-11-27, 11:31 PM
I like this quite a bit. It seems balanced to me.

DracoDei
2008-11-28, 01:16 AM
Conceivably, but it would take quite a while.

So... the cracks it makes in rocks aren't THAT extensive? Just violent where they appear?

SlaadLord
2008-11-28, 09:21 AM
Thank you, Surlyseraph

Yes.

Baron Corm
2008-11-28, 01:40 PM
If you made Stonebreaker Frost deal just piercing damage, it wouldn't damage the alalari itself, which I think makes sense. If you made it an immediate action, it could also stop a charger in his tracks, but that might increase the CR, just throwing it out there. Also, I see that Frosted Transformation is a (Su) type of thing, but is there a way to turn the earth elemental back into an alalari? Overall another cool creature.

SlaadLord
2008-11-28, 01:48 PM
No, there is no going back from earth elemental form to an alalari.

Magnor Criol
2008-11-29, 04:25 AM
Why does it transform into a Medium earth elemental, as opposed to a Small one?

You should probably define the transformation from Alalari to Earth Elemental a tad more, stating something along the lines of "Use the stats of a Medium earth elemental, except as follows:..."

If you intend (as I think makes sense) for things like the hit points and status effects, and perhaps even ability scores to transfer over to the new earth elemental form, and simply traits and qualities to change, you'd state it right there. Otherwise, simply tell the reader to refer to the stats as-written.

Otherwise, great job, I like this guy. The name's a lot of fun to say. :D

SlaadLord
2008-11-29, 09:19 AM
What I meant by the transformation is that it basically loses all of the alalari's stats and gains those of a medium earth elemental. I made it become a medium one because 1) its challenge rating stays the same and 2) heated water expands, so if the elemental is composed of frozen earth, when it's heated, it will grow.

insecure
2008-11-29, 09:23 AM
What I meant by the transformation is that it basically loses all of the alalari's stats and gains those of a medium earth elemental. I made it become a medium one because 1) its challenge rating stays the same and 2) heated water expands, so if the elemental is composed of frozen earth, when it's heated, it will grow.

About the heated water... Yes, water expands when it's heated, but also when it's frozen, so it'd already have expanded once.

SlaadLord
2008-11-29, 10:44 AM
So it was just a moist tiny-sized pile of earth when it was frozen.
Makes sense, right?

DracoDei
2008-11-29, 07:56 PM
Your physics is questionable I think... but if the water goes to steam as the trigger for the transformation they it could "puff" the elemental to a larger size.

What is there general reaction to the concept of transforming? Seems like a major life decision...

SlaadLord
2008-11-29, 11:05 PM
They are generally hostile to the transformation as they consider it a warping of their natural form.