PDA

View Full Version : What spell was Jenny aboout to cast?

Cizak
2008-11-27, 01:48 PM
When she said "Hideous laugh-"? I'm guessing "Hideous laughter", but what does the spell do?

RTGoodman
2008-11-27, 01:54 PM
Hideous Laughter
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell afflicts the subject with uncontrollable laughter. It collapses into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally.

A creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or lower is not affected. A creature whose type is different from the caster’s receives a +4 bonus on its saving throw, because humor doesn’t “translate” well.

Material Component
Tiny tarts that are thrown at the target and a feather that is waved in the air.

Basically, it completely shuts down a character for 1 round per caster level.

EDIT: Ha-ha! (Second) fastest guns in the Playground! (After Roland, of course. :smallbiggrin:)

Ravens_cry
2008-11-27, 01:56 PM
When she said "Hideous laugh-"? I'm guessing "Hideous laughter", but what does the spell do?

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell afflicts the subject with uncontrollable laughter. It collapses into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally.

A creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or lower is not affected. A creature whose type is different from the caster’s receives a +4 bonus on its saving throw, because humor doesn’t “translate” well.

Material Component

Tiny tarts that are thrown at the target and a feather that is waved in the air.

D20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) is great for looking up spell and effects from your friendly neighborhood geeky gamers comic.
Damn,I hath been ninja'd, And hath no idea what that means aside from context, nor where hast this meme do come from, yet I am duty bound to say it.

Bayar
2008-11-27, 02:02 PM
Wasnt it Tasha's Hideous Laughter ?

TheLogman
2008-11-27, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but the words Tasha's Hideous Laughter is copyrighted by Wizards, so the SRD had no Tahsa/

Mando Knight
2008-11-27, 02:06 PM
Apparently the names used in the normal names of the spells are considered product identity, so instead of "Evard's Black Tentacles" or "Bigby's * Grasp" you've got just "Black Tentacles" and "* Grasp." Thus, Tasha's Hideous Laughter became "Hideous Laughter."

hamishspence
2008-11-27, 02:08 PM
Tasha is in Dragon Magazine (and Expedition to Castle Greyhawk) suggested to be shortening of Natasha, which is the original name of the dreaded Witch Queen of Perrenland Iggwilv.

evileeyore
2008-11-27, 02:08 PM

Google + srd + D&D + Hideous Laughter = Your Answer. (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=srd+D%26D+Hideous+laughter)

Studoku
2008-11-27, 07:41 PM
Google + srd + D&D + Hideous Laughter = Your Answer. (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=srd+D%26D+Hideous+laughter)

The creator of that site wins the internet. Seriously.

evileeyore
2008-11-27, 10:18 PM

I know. I'd buy that guy a beer, or chia-latte, or whatever, should I ever meet them.

NerfTW
2008-11-28, 10:08 AM
Damn,I hath been ninja'd, And hath no idea what that means aside from context, nor where hast this meme do come from, yet I am duty bound to say it.

"Ninja post". Someone sneaks in and posts while you're writing your post, resulting in duplicate answers. Much the way a ninja might sneak in and accomplish a task without anyone knowing.

feltex
2008-11-28, 12:03 PM
Tasha is in Dragon Magazine (and Expedition to Castle Greyhawk) suggested to be shortening of Natasha, which is the original name of the dreaded Witch Queen of Perrenland Iggwilv.

Tasha = Iggwilv!? Really? Which Dragon / Module? What author? I am curious if this is from Gygax or someone after.

Hydro Globus
2008-11-28, 03:03 PM

I agree. That's my favourite website now.

Warlord JK
2008-11-28, 03:11 PM

Officially awesome. It just is.

Anyway, its a lot like Otiuk's Uncontrollable Dance, which I believe is a 7th lvl spell that causes a person to dance uncontrollable for 1 round per caster lvl.

KilltheToy
2008-11-28, 08:39 PM

Awesome. I'd give the creator a cookie cake, as simply giving him a cookie or a mere cake isn't good enough.

John Campbell
2008-11-29, 01:32 AM
Wasnt it Tasha's Hideous Laughter ?

It's Tasha's uncontrollable hideous laughter.

And all you damn kids get offa my lawn!

Dreamthiev
2008-11-29, 08:17 AM
I do wonder what makes the laughter so hideous, though. I mean, does it make the victim snort? Or maybe that high-pitched weezing some people do. Any thoughts?

rayne_dragon
2008-11-29, 09:14 AM
I seem to remember in second edition it explained the spells name. Unfortunately I neither remember nor have my 2nd edition PHB handy.

xelliea
2008-11-29, 09:36 AM
I do wonder what makes the laughter so hideous, though. I mean, does it make the victim snort? Or maybe that high-pitched weezing some people do. Any thoughts?

i think they laugh so much it is hideous

Callos_DeTerran
2008-11-29, 10:20 AM
Tasha = Iggwilv!? Really? Which Dragon / Module? What author? I am curious if this is from Gygax or someone after.

That is the suspicion about Tasha but the only real clue to Iggwilv that has even a little evidence to support it. Try finding Expedition to Castle Greyhawk and Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk for some more information and the Demonmicon of Iggilv article in Dragon that has the mummy woman on the front. (The number escapes me) Oh, the last issue of Dragon would probably help too.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-29, 10:59 AM
Anyway, its a lot like Otiuk's Uncontrollable Dance, which I believe is a 7th lvl spell that causes a person to dance uncontrollable for 1 round per caster lvl.

Otto, not Otyugh (http://yafgc.shipsinker.com/index.php?strip_id=33).

Chronos
2008-12-01, 04:34 PM
Actually, I think that Warlord JK was thinking of Otiluke, he of the Resiliant, Telekinetic, and Freezing Spheres, not an Otyugh (who are only very rarely spellcasters).

Enlong
2008-12-01, 04:43 PM
Awesome. I'd give the creator a cookie cake, as simply giving him a cookie or a mere cake isn't good enough.

Definately. Oh, by the way, you can also have it do "feeling lucky".

And do recursion (http://tinyurl.com/67ntfr)

JaxGaret
2008-12-01, 05:18 PM
Actually, I think that Warlord JK was thinking of Otiluke, he of the Resiliant, Telekinetic, and Freezing Spheres, not an Otyugh (who are only very rarely spellcasters).

Damn you Chronos! Twas s'posed to be I that was destined to utter those very words on this day, not thou, thou swine!

/humor
/not serious

Optimystik
2008-12-02, 01:05 AM

I think it relates to the sound, as seen in other uses of the phrase:

http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/CHK/en-us/Card79204.jpg

It's probably a gibbering and hacking, and is certainly wild enough to prevent the target from doing anything else.

spectralphoenix
2008-12-02, 01:41 AM

It was mentioned in the last issue (real issue, not bizzaro "costs less than an MMO subscription" online issue.) They discussed a lot of the unanswered questions from various campaign settings, including who Tasha was. I don't know if that had Gygax's input or not, though.