PDA

View Full Version : Pricing an item...

Tyger
2008-11-27, 08:49 PM
The Staff of Defense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm#defense) prices out at 58,250 GP. What would the cost be, if rather than using charges a la that staff, it used a charge system similar to many of the items in Magic Item Compendium.

If for example, you had 5 charges on the item, which refreshed each day. You could cast:

Shield (1 charge)
Shield of Faith (1 charge)
Shield Other (2 charge)
Shield of Law (5 charges).

I can't quite determine what formula to use on this, as its not really easy to fit into the charts, and of course it doesn't really match up to any other items easily. I thought maybe something like the Eternal Wands, which actually cost slightly less than their charged counterparts, but this has potentially five spells per day, or one big one.

Any advice is appreciated.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-27, 09:52 PM
The Staff of Defense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm#defense) prices out at 58,250 GP. What would the cost be, if rather than using charges a la that staff, it used a charge system similar to many of the items in Magic Item Compendium.

If for example, you had 5 charges on the item, which refreshed each day. You could cast:

Shield (1 charge)
Shield of Faith (1 charge)
Shield Other (2 charge)
Shield of Law (5 charges).

I can't quite determine what formula to use on this, as its not really easy to fit into the charts, and of course it doesn't really match up to any other items easily. I thought maybe something like the Eternal Wands, which actually cost slightly less than their charged counterparts, but this has potentially five spells per day, or one big one.

Any advice is appreciated.

Well, it is a staff so minimum caster 8 (but 15 if 8th level spell).
And Shield of Defense uses 3 charges.

Closest comparison is bely of healing?
750 for 5 charges: Each charge heals average 9 hps.
Cure light heaals 1d8+5 average 9.5. So use that as base spell kinda.

Can't fully create the combining feature:
But Price it as a wand with Charges/10. works.... as CLW wand (caster 1) is same as Healting Belt.

If we use that design idea: We must first look at the Staff and how it was priced.
So we do a 375 x highest spell (8th) x caster level used (can use minimum 15 since 8th level spell)= 45K/3 (uses 3 charges)= 15K.
+8437.5 /1 (uses 1 charges) = 8437.5.
+2812.5/1 (uses 1 charge)
+2812.5/1 (uses 1 charge)

Price should be: 29062.75. For some unknown reason: they doubled the price.
Edit: that is marketprice. I was using crafting price, my bad.

Now we know the true price of the staff we can attempt to make this Charges/day MIC price.
I'd say just price it as true price of staff for the Charges thing. 29K is reasonable for its powers and utility if same Charges cost.

With your new charges cost: I'd say 15K should be fine for crafting (as Law is 5 charges instead of 3).

So Markey price as 30K.

Prometheus
2008-11-28, 10:22 AM
You do have to keep in mind that Dungeon Master magic items and Magic Compendium magic items are on two different power/price scales.