PDA

View Full Version : converting, need work checked

TheThan
2008-11-28, 02:09 AM
Check my work.

Ok I’m converting some things from the starwars revised edition over to the new Star Wars Saga edition.

I’m following the conversion guide presented here (http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloads/SWRPG_Saga_Conversion.pdf) to convert the YT 1930 light freighter from here (http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloads/ships_enhancement.pdf) over to saga edition. I need someone to double check my work and see if I did it right. I’m fairly confident i did it right, though it never hurts to get a extra opinion.

CEC YT 1930 stock light freighter

CEC YT 1930 light freighter
Class: space transport
Size: colossal (-10)
Speed: fly 12 squares (character scale), fly 2 squares (starship scale)
Hit points: 150
DR: 15
threshold: 78
Reflex defense: 13=10-10+13
fortitude defense: 28
armor bonus: 13
Shield rating: 15
Str: 46 (+18), dex: 10 (+0), con: --, int: 14
Cargo capacity: 200 metric tons
Consumables: 4 months
Hyperdrive: x2 (x12 backup)
Crew: 2 passengers: 6
Cost: 135,000 credits
Weapons: laser cannon turret (4d10x2)
Attack bonus: +2=bab + 2(int) + range penalty Grapple: +38

While I’m at it I might go ahead and ask what you think of this modified version (complete with flaws). I pulled the flaws from the old revised edition rulebook and the modifications I thought up (rolled % for both). If you want me to post the modifications I can but the flaws you’re going to have to look up.

Yet to be named freighter (smuggling ship)

Modified Corellian engineering corporation YT 1930 Freighter
Class: space transport
Size: colossal (-10)
Speed: fly 12 squares (character scale), fly 2 squares (starship scale)
Hit points: 135
DR 15
threshold: 77
Reflex defense: 13=10-10+12+1
fortitude: 27
armor bonus: 12
Shield rating: 22
Str: 44 (+17), dex: 12 (+1), con: --, int: 14
Cargo capacity: 200 metric tons +50 metric tons smuggling space, Consumables: 4 months
Hyperdrive: x2 (x12 backup)
Crew: 2 passengers: 6
Cost: 135,000 credits
Weapons: laser cannon turret (4d10x2)
Attack bonus +2= bab+2(int)+ range penalty

Flaws:
Stabilizers damaged: -2 penalty to pilot checks
Sensors damaged: -4 to perception checks made to notice enemy ships
Hull damage: -10% hit points (150-15=135)

Upgrades:
Smuggling compartments: +50 metric tons stowage, DC 20-perception check to find.
Stealth systems: grants stealth roll at –4= 5(training)+1(dex)-10(size)
Upgraded shields: +50% 15+7=22
Improved maneuvering: +2 dex score (10+2)

Note that the ship flaws can be repaired with mechanics checks but the players won’t know about them until they start flying around. In addition to that, I’ve noticed that when they repair the hull, their reflex defense will shoot up one point (going from 13-14). It’ll also have the benefits of increasing their armor bonus.

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-28, 03:09 AM
Work checked. Everything looks fine.

I like the modified version, too. It has a lot of character. You should consider making it 'used', which I believe increases the repair DCs as well as (I think) causing it to move an extra -1 step every time it moves down the condition track. The exact definition is in Starships of the Galaxy. I can look it up if you need. I think you can repair out of the 'used' condition as well, but I can't remember for sure. I'll check my books in the morning. :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2008-11-28, 03:16 AM
The ship is used, which is why I put in the flaws. I don’t have the new starships of the galaxy (only the old one). So I don’t how any of that will work until I get my grubby DM hands on it. a short run down would be helpful though.

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-28, 12:13 PM
Well, it looks like I didn't remember quite right. :smallsigh:

Used Starships
Owning and operating a used starship can be a risky business. Though used starships are cheaper and easier to get hold of, they often develop their own unique quirks that prevent them from operating at full capacity. Whenever a used starship moves -3 steps on the condition track (to the point where the vessel is taking a -5 penalty on attack rolls, skill and ability checks, and defenses) or lower, the used ship's condition becomes persistent. Until the ship receives repairs (using the repair object application of the Mechanics skill), it cannot move up the condition track by means of the reroute power action (although other means, such as jury-rigging, can still be used).

I also couldn't find anything about removing the 'used' condition later on, so I must have just imagined it. I like your specific flaws better, but you could still use this on top of those. Unfortunately, despite the extensive chapter on starship modifications, there isn't much info yet for creating starship flaws. I guess the way you did it is the best, just picking a couple stats and lowering them. I still recommend the book, though. It's got tons of ships, and as I said, the starship modifications chapter is pretty good. It's also got new character options like starship maneuvers and new (starship-centric) uses for various talents. Anyway, I hope this helps!

TheThan
2008-11-28, 01:43 PM
The Millennium Falcon really inspired me. It posses a lot of personality and is somewhat of a pain in the characters’ sides through almost all of Empire Strikes back. I sort of wanted to imitate that feel.

I pulled the flaws out of the old revised edition rulebook, but I like the idea of topping off the initial flaws with the “used trait” it gives the ship that feeling of needing constant attention. As for the modifications, I dreamed those up. I rolled a D% to determine which ones the ship ended up with.

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-28, 01:57 PM
Yeah, it kinda gives you the feeling that, even if they fix these specific debilitating flaws, the ship is still always gonna be a little clunky.