PDA

View Full Version : So what is Scruffy's stats?

Akisa
2008-11-28, 03:23 AM
Scruffy is beyond a normal cat's power as it can grapple medium size casters which suggest higher BAB and strength then a normal cat. He can't really be an animal companion as his original owner was an expert not a druid and seeing as she knows the difference between caster and someone else I suspect some sort of intelligence above 2... Or perhaps Belkar pointed to the caster when he said it...

Dalenthas
2008-11-28, 03:29 AM
He was a normal housecat while Shojo had him. When Belkar took over ownership, he became Belkar's animal companion. At least, that's the popular theory on these boards. I'm sure someone over in the Character Level Geekery thread already statted out what a housecat animal companion would look like for a ranger of Belkar's level, though I haven't checked...

Raven Blackwell
2008-11-28, 03:33 AM
<double post- sorry>

Raven Blackwell
2008-11-28, 03:36 AM
That would be me though it was originally in in the main #611 thread. You cna find my updated stats for cats to if you really care to. ;>

And of course…..
Mr. Scruffy

Advanced Animal Companion, Cat (Tiny Animal)
Hit Dice: 2-1/2d8+2 (16 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 18 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +2 natural) touch 16, flat footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+5
Attack: Claw +7 melee finesse (1d2-3)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee finesse (1d4-3) and two claws +7 melee finesse (1d2-3)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 feet/0 reach
Special Attacks: Pounce, Rake (1d2-2)
Special Qualities: Acrobatic Charge, Dexterous, Evasion, Favored Enemy (arcane spellcasters, mice, rats and vermin), Improved Grab, Link, Low Light Vision, Scent, Spirit Sight
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 4, Wis 16, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +8, Bluff +6, Climb +7, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device -1, Escape Artist +8, Hide +8, Intimidate +3, Jump +8, Knowledge (local- Azure City) +2, Listen +8, Move Silently +8, Search +6, Spot +8, Survival +6, Tumble +9
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Feint, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Multiattack, Track, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Finesse (natural weapons), Weapon Focus (claw)

Skills: As a cat, Mr. Scruffy has a +4 racial bonus to Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently and Tumble checks and a +8 bonus to Balance checks. He gains an additional +8 to Tumble checks when reducing damage from falling. The claws of Mr. Scruffy allow him a +4 bonus to Climb checks when climbing a surface he can get a grip on such as cloth or tree bark but only when climbing up due to the curve of their claws. The loose skin of Mr. Scruffy makes it difficult to hold him against his will and it gains a +4 to Escape Artist checks when trying to escape pins and grapples. When frightened or angry, Mr. Scruffy will puff up his fur in order to make him look larger to gain a +1 on Intimidate checks. Mr. Scruffy uses his Dexterity modifier for Climb, Jump and Grapple checks and Wisdom modifier for Search checks. Mr. Scruffy has been taught the Attack and Come tricks by Belkar Bitterleaf.

New Special Abilities

Acrobatic Charge: When making a charge action, Mr Scruffy does not need to charge in a straight line and may go over, under or around objects in his way without penalty.

Dexterous: Mr. Scruffy possess free floating clavicle bones which allow him to flatten his body to pass through small openings. He may pass through small openings as if he was one size category less then his actual size.

Spirit Sight: Mr. Scruffy can perceive astral and ethereal objects such as dematerialized ghosts or the astral form of a traveler on that plane. Due to his time as Lord Shojo’s pet Mr. Scruffy was in the presence of many celestials and other spirits and is not as frightened by them as a normal cat.

Mr. Scruffy was the loyal pet of Lord Shojo, former ruler of Azure City in his later years. In order to avoid assassination by the powerful nobles of that city Lord Shojo feigned senility and often acted as if he consulted Mr. Scruffy for decisions of state. Lord Shojo would often take this behavior to extremes, often delaying official business to allow Mr. Scruffy to choose what to take for his next meal or to force high ranking paladins of the Sapphire Guard to attend to Mr. Scruffy’s litterbox as a mild rebuke.

Following Lord Shojo’s murder by Miko Miyazaki Mr. Scruffy fled the throne room and began wandering the streets bereft and alone. He survived the hobgoblin invasion and occupation of Azure city and took to haunting the lower levels of the warehouses. During a raid by the Azure City resistance Mr. Scruffy was located and adopted by the halfling adventurer Belkar Bitterleaf. The leaders of the various factions of the resistance almost adopted Belkar as their leader due to the presence of Mr. Scruffy at his side briefly until his insane demands forced them to decide the adjacent paladin Thanh was the one ‘chosen’ by Mr. Scruffy.

Mr. Scruffy and Belkar have formed an unlikely relationship and it appears that the cat is the only creature for which Belkar has shown affection. (Belkar would likely be veeeerry upset with anyone who harmed Mr. Scruffy) Mr. Scruffy has become Belkar’s animal companion and has assisted him in battle on more than one occasion. Belkar usually commands Mr. Scruffy to attack enemy spell casters and distract them from casting spells. Mr. Scruffy has to date fought both the necromantic mystic theurge Tsukiko and the arcane trickster of the Greysky Thieves Guild, Chuck.

Mr. Scruffy is more intelligent than the average cat and appears to understand simple commands given to him in Common. (Oddly enough for a cat he even obeys them) The appearance of Lord Shojo in a dream sequence of Belkar Bitterleaf has raised the possibility that Mr. Scruffy may posses some connection with the spirit of Shojo. Whether this is true or not has yet to be determined.

awibs
2008-11-28, 05:43 AM
This is so hi-lariously awesome I don't know what to do with myself :D

Akisa
2008-11-28, 06:10 AM
Being an animal companion wouldn't explain how she's able to grapple so well. He was able to hold on to Tsukiko w/o any problems despite being a tiny creature. As a tiny creature Mr Scruffy would have -8 grapple check and Ms Tsukiko would have minimum caster level of 18 to be able to cast teleport and bring 6 creatures with her. So that would mean she has 3 levels of Cleric giving her 2 Bab, 3 levels of wizard giving her 1 additional Bab, 10 levels of mystic thruge for 5 more Bab. That would leave her caster level 13 and it's reasonable she took practice spell caster to bring her wizard caster level to 16 and since she needed two more caster level it safe to say she also took one or two more levels of wizard providing an additional Bab.

This brings up the sum total of 9 and versus Mr Scruffy's grapple check of +2 it would mean Ms Tsukiko would have a natural +35% chance to beat and this is barring in mind she has strength of 10. A reasonable strength of 8-9 would cause 30% better chance of winning. I count around 7-8 rounds the cat was able maintain the grapple.

1st round was when Belkar threw, Mr Scruffy 2nd when Belkar moved and attacked the undead, 3rd when belkar killed another undead (with haley killing another one) 3-4 when Ms Tsukiko called out for help. 4-5 When the paladin decided to move and help still 4-5 When Haley picked up the sapped and moved into flanking position. 5-6 is when Haley Attacked, and round 6-7 is when they decided to retreat. 8-9 Then open the door and waited for Scruffy to disengage the grapple and fled (which I thought was stupid as they had Ms Tuskiko effectively neutralized in the grapple. And only a single wright was left which belkar has already proven he could take them down in a single round. Personally I would've finished Ms Tsukiko off).

Edit forgot Travel Domain from cleric so here is a second calculation if she cast teleport through her cleric domain and used bead of karma (I'm not counting +1 CL ioun stone because we never see her with one).

+2 from cleric +1 from wizard and +4 for 8 levels of Mystic Thruge which would bring her caster level to 14 and thus allow her to use bead of karma and teleport with 6 medium size creatures. So that Bab's total would be +7 so it's still a natural +20-25% check to beat Mr Scruffy.

evileeyore
2008-11-28, 08:18 AM
Being an animal companion wouldn't explain how she's able to grapple so well.

Two things:

1 - Mr. Scruffy. Not Ms. Scruffy.

2 - Mr. Scruffy might not have been grappling the whole time. And Mr. Scruffy may very well have Improved Grapple, which means it's a bad day for casters.

ZiggyGuy
2008-11-28, 09:31 AM
Or simply forget the rules for a second, and think of a mad cat attacking a face.. you've seen a cat missing that kind of attack, despite not being able to actually grapple? <.<;

And yes, I've seen a cat doing that >.< believe me, is not somethin you want to see... or even less, be victim of.

King of Nowhere
2008-11-28, 09:34 AM
As I posted in other threads, I don't think it is a standard grapple check. I believe it is more like the cat is grappling the poor victim, while the poor victim cannot grab the cat.
It's surely houseruled, because otherwise it would not be possible.

charl
2008-11-28, 10:06 AM
Mr Scruffy is above and beyond the rules and stats.

:smallbiggrin:

//The unofficial founder and supreme leader of the Mr Scruffy unofficial fan club.

silversaraph
2008-11-28, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't exactly be surprised if Belkar has been training Mr. Scruffy,

Because in a bonus comic in no cure for the paladin blues, Haley tries to teach Belkar how to train his dog, with mixed results.

silversaraph
2008-11-28, 11:03 AM
As I posted in other threads, I don't think it is a standard grapple check. I believe it is more like the cat is grappling the poor victim, while the poor victim cannot grab the cat.
It's surely houseruled, because otherwise it would not be possible.

I can vouch for this. There is a friend of our family that owns several cats, and one is viciously evil. I was walking by her, who's name is actually "kitty" when she jumped off of the cabinet she was standing on and swiped me in the face, and her claws actually got latched on to my cheek and took about three minutes to get her off. (I still have a faint scar)

T-O-E
2008-11-28, 11:14 AM
Mr. Scruffy is an epic level barbarian which allows him to grapple low-level casters.

Raven Blackwell
2008-11-28, 11:40 AM
This is so hi-lariously awesome I don't know what to do with myself :D

Thank you. I try- and I'm usually very trying. :smallwink:

Raven Blackwell
2008-11-29, 11:55 AM
As for Mr. Scruffy grappling abilities I think that can be corrected by adding the Improved Grab ability allowing him to initiate a grappling attempt as a free action when he hit with a claw, which makes sense. Cats tends to use the curved nature of their claws to sink in and hold down prey and they can hook onto a larger creature by the flesh. Since like all cats Mr. Scruffy has a high Initiative the order of the round could go like this. Mr Scruffy hits with claws and bite, initiates grapple, rakes for damage. Opponent takes a standard action to break grapple and cannot follow with an attack (as it requires another Standard action) Mr. Scruffy then repeats the action next round forcing the spellcaster to break the grapple again and so on. A never ending repeating feline facehugger of doom. (and as an aside what would the base grapple of an actual Alien facehugger be? Do they just take 20? ;>)

Also don't forget that a wounded spell caster must make a Concentration skill check when wounded so Mr. Scruffy just has to wound them as opposed to grapple them toprevent them from spell casting. Chuck likely has a low Concentration skill and Tsukiiko doesn't seem like she's the most emotional balanced individual either. Depending on how one applies the Favored Opponent increase to damage Mr. Scruffy causes Mr. Scruffy could produce anywhere from 4-8 points of damage a round- as well a grapple- could force the spellcaster to make a DC 14-18 skill check or be unable to cast spells.

As for cats not being able to inflict serious damage this is true for the most part. This due that outside of hunting cats rarely fight intending to inflict injury. 'Cats fights' are more attempts to display dominance than inflict injury and is most noise, aggressive displays, pinning attempts and occasion scratch of a sensitive area like a dog's nose. A cat intent on serious injury can inflict some particularly nasty wounds. Vets have reported injuries where upset cats removed the eye from another cat or dog or wounds requiring large amounts of stitches. The fact Mr. Scruffy always goes for the face may show that he's not kidding around when he's trying to take take down an arcane spell caster. :smallbiggrin:

ErrantMage
2008-11-29, 01:32 PM
Umm...

Shouldn't a cat whose grapple was successful not need to have a recheck until it is broken, and I swear 4 dug-in claws spread out across your face on a flailing cat which means removing all 4 at once is not a normal feat.

Everyone has probably seen the cat to the face move before, its not uncommon to require stitches if the cat takes a few good shots at your lip, nose or even eyes. The sheer brutality and pain must make the circumstance nearly impossible for even high level casters to concentrate.

7-8 rounds is quite fair when you have a cat that doesn't need to redo common grapple checks because it was not broken completely, breaking the grapple to initiate your own (removing the flailing cat and holding it away from your face) is going to start additional attacks by the cat as you terrify him even more.

Scuffy must have something like advanced grapple because of the sheer difficulty in removing a 15-20 pound animal dug into your face is not a normal grapple.

For those of you who have cats, you notice you cannot pull a cat back towards you, up in the air or well.. just about anything when they are dug into the couch, the carpet or curtains? Anything they can sink into is likely going to come WITH them when you pull. You can rend your curtains, tear up the carpet and flay the couch cushions to take that cat off. For anyone dumb enough to actually pull them off, the damage caused is extensive due to your strength allowing the claws to act like a razor and shred.

Now imagine this is happening on your FACE. Scuffy does not need to be buffed to do this, especially when trying to forcefully remove the cat provokes more attack and more fear, making the assault longer and painful.

Lord Zentei
2008-11-29, 03:35 PM
Raven Blackwell:

I think you may actually be underestimating Mr Scruffy there. See Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#animalCompanion).

If Belkar has 12 Ranger levels, then his animal companion would be the equivalent of a 6th level Druid's animal companion. This would give Mr Scruffy the following above and beyond normal housecats:
+4 HD (:smalleek:).
+4 AC (natural armour adjustment).
+2 Str.
+2 Dex.
3 Bonus Tricks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm) (so far we have seen "Come" and "Attack").
Link (Belkar can handle Mr Scruffy as a free action, and gains +4 on Wild Empathy and Handle Animal with regards to him).
Share Spells (not applicable).
Evasion (Mr Scruffy takes no damage on a successful Reflex save; demonstrated against Tsukiko's spells).
Devotion (+4 morale bonus on Will save against Enchantment effects).

So: pretty formidable against low level types.

Doglord
2008-11-29, 04:16 PM
I actually made a thread ages and ages ago about why belkar didnt have an animal companion. This thread has now answerwed that question. Thanks for it!:smallbiggrin:

Lord Zentei
2008-11-29, 04:54 PM
Based on the +4 HD, and +2 Dex, he would have a +8 melee attack (+3 for the bite), with 3 attacks on the full attack, an unarmored caster with AC 10 would be hit on a roll of 2+ on the D20 with the claws and 7+ for the bite. This almost guarantees 2-3 points of damage per round, and a DC 12-13 concentration check. The natural armor bonus and extra Dex gives him an AC of 19, more than an average human in full plate armor.

Incidentally, the bonus hit dice also give him more total hit dice than an ogre... albeit with a lower Con and Str... Still, just imagine that opening a can of whop-arse on your face when you are attempting to cast a spell. :smallwink:

EvilRoeSlade
2008-11-29, 05:11 PM
Mr. Scruffy is not initiating a grapple, which is impossible for a tiny creature to do against a medium sized one regardless of its Str or base attack bonus.

But since he's tiny he's able to enter a medium sized creature's space, and must do so in order to attack it. That's what the comic is depicting.

Lord Zentei
2008-11-29, 05:31 PM
Mr. Scruffy is not initiating a grapple, which is impossible for a tiny creature to do against a medium sized one regardless of its Str or base attack bonus.

But since he's tiny he's able to enter a medium sized creature's space, and must do so in order to attack it. That's what the comic is depicting.

Indeed. That is where the DC 12-13 Concentration makes the difference. I doubt that either Chuck or Tsukiko have a good Con bonus, and it is not certain that they have bothered to put ranks in concentration given how often OOTS characters are sub-optimized.

kopout
2008-11-29, 10:41 PM
You fools!
Mr. scruffy is obviously one of the cat gods in disguise and there for far above normal cats we can only pray he is not the dark one himself ,.... Snuggles
link for you dulled fools who have not embraced the truth of Cat5375022

Raven Blackwell
2008-11-29, 11:51 PM
Raven Blackwell:

I think you may actually be underestimating Mr Scruffy there. See Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#animalCompanion).

If Belkar has 12 Ranger levels, then his animal companion would be the equivalent of a 6th level Druid's animal companion. This would give Mr Scruffy the following above and beyond normal housecats:

The problem with this is that we don't know if Belkar took 12 levels in Ranger. We know he has 9 because he has the Evasion ability. Beyond that its speculation if how many of his levels are Ranger and how many are Barbarian. My own estimate is Belkar is Ranger 11/Barbarian 3 or 4 and I stated out Mr. Scruffy accordingly.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-29, 11:55 PM
You fools!
Mr. scruffy is obviously one of the cat gods in disguise and there for far above normal cats we can only pray he is not the dark one himself ,.... Snuggles
link for you dulled fools who have not embraced the truth of Cat5375022
I agree, Mr. Scruffy must be the earthly Avatar of Cat. Not just one of them, but the combined form of all the Cat Pantheon.

Lord Zentei
2008-11-30, 12:43 AM
The problem with this is that we don't know if Belkar took 12 levels in Ranger. We know he has 9 because he has the Evasion ability. Beyond that its speculation if how many of his levels are Ranger and how many are Barbarian. My own estimate is Belkar is Ranger 11/Barbarian 3 or 4 and I stated out Mr. Scruffy accordingly.

There are valid reasons to assume Ranger 12 / Barbarian 2: firstly, the Barbarian class is very front heavy and taking more than a couple of levels in it as a dip class is not terribly useful. Second, Belkar describes himself as a ranger with a "sprinkle of Barbarian". Though that is hardly definitive, it suggests minimal levels in that class.

Most importantly, Ranger 12 Barbarian 2 maximizes Mr Scruffy's potential! Therefore it is to be preferred! :smallamused:

More seriously, until further notice we probably need to express it as a potential range, min-max...

SecondTalon
2008-11-30, 01:35 AM
Mr. Scruffy is an epic level barbarian which allows him to grapple low-level casters.

Over at the XKCD Forums (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=1026644#p1026644), one of our members has an interesting notion.

Scruffy's the Druid from the crew that created the gates. Wouldn't take much for a Druid of that level to just stay wildshaped all the time.

Of course, I think there's absolutely 0 evidence to back that up.

AmberVael
2008-11-30, 02:23 AM
Over at the XKCD Forums (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=1026644#p1026644), one of our members has an interesting notion.

Scruffy's the Druid from the crew that created the gates. Wouldn't take much for a Druid of that level to just stay wildshaped all the time.

Of course, I think there's absolutely 0 evidence to back that up.

Actually, as seen in SoD...

Lirian, the druid, has been killed (her body turned into a zombie) and her soul trapped into a crystal that Xykon keeps. So there is, in fact, heavy evidence against it.

David Argall
2008-11-30, 03:04 AM
1 - Mr. Scruffy. Not Ms. Scruffy.

Now that this is brought up, are we sure about that? Shojo was the type to pad his mad act by calling a female cat Mr. and Belkar is not the most perceptive of observers.
And a male cat having a bunch of kittens is a common joke.

charl
2008-11-30, 07:02 AM
Now that this is brought up, are we sure about that? Shojo was the type to pad his mad act by calling a female cat Mr. and Belkar is not the most perceptive of observers.
And a male cat having a bunch of kittens is a common joke.

I can attest that telling the gender of a cat isn't that easy. My mother's cat had kittens, and we thought one of them was male until she gave birth to her own kittens a year or two later.

Raven Blackwell
2008-11-30, 05:13 PM
I agree, Mr. Scruffy must be the earthly Avatar of Cat. Not just one of them, but the combined form of all the Cat Pantheon.

Raven- Were we separated at birth? :smallbiggrin:

Raven Blackwell
2008-11-30, 05:18 PM
Most importantly, Ranger 12 Barbarian 2 maximizes Mr Scruffy's potential! Therefore it is to be preferred! :smallamused:

Ah, but Belkars' mind it is the maximization of his stats that is most important. and I can see him working hard to get that Rage 2/day ability at 4th Barbarian over the 12th level of Ranger which gets him....nothing.

More seriously, until further notice we probably need to express it as a potential range, min-max...

If you want to pump up the states +2 HD and post it yourself, feel free. I gave you the base to work with. :smallbiggrin:

Lord Zentei
2008-11-30, 06:21 PM
Ah, but Belkars' mind it is the maximization of his stats that is most important. and I can see him working hard to get that Rage 2/day ability at 4th Barbarian over the 12th level of Ranger which gets him....nothing.

Heresy! Mr Scruffy is the brains of the operation, Belkar is his animal companion.

If you want to pump up the states +2 HD and post it yourself, feel free. I gave you the base to work with. :smallbiggrin:

He would have around double the hit points, +1 to BAB and an extra Feat, for starters.... Nah, I'm much too lazy to write it up.

I think in your version he is meant to have a +2 Natural Armour rather than +1, though.

Assassin89
2008-12-01, 12:13 AM

Maybe Mr. Scruffy is a part of the cat who was one of the thirteen gods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac#Zodiac_origin_stories) but disposed by the rat.

Raven Blackwell
2008-12-01, 08:26 PM
Heresy! Mr Scruffy is the brains of the operation, Belkar is his animal companion.

Considering Belkar that wouldn't surprise me....

I think in your version he is meant to have a +2 Natural Armour rather than +1, though.

You are correct. Change made.

Arachu
2008-12-17, 06:41 PM
I declare that Mr. Scruffy in fact a Sorcerer/Fighter, and that he did not, in fact, grapple Tsukiko, but-

I say he paralyzed her! :elan:

Besides, it would make sense. Think about it: Shojo wasn't insane, but he was acting as though he actually heard Mr. Scruffy... Wait, what if Mr. Scruffy is a Psion...:smalleek:

Morchaint
2008-12-17, 06:50 PM
stats be damned I just realized something. Shojo couldnt be rezzed becuase
he put his soul in Mr. Scruffy. hence how when mr scruffy was licking Belkar he could talk to him telepathically!!!!!!

Its BRILLIANT.

but most of you will prolly not agree with me.

Arachu
2008-12-17, 09:15 PM
... AND that would explain why he said he's still loyal to the 'REAL power in Azure City' while referring to Mr. Scruffy! And how Shojo talked to him when he was hallucinating and told him things he didn't know! They don't do that, they twist things you do know!

... GENIUS!

Underground
2008-12-18, 06:08 AM
I know his stats exactly ! :smallbiggrin:

Coolness 17
Awesomness 16
Heroism 15
Wildness 13

:smallwink: