PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Items that negate need to sleep?

arguskos
2008-11-28, 07:27 PM
Just what the title says! I need to know if there are any items in 3.5 that prevent the need for a character to sleep. If so, where can I find them and what do they cost?

Thanks!

Pandaren
2008-11-28, 07:32 PM
One of the ioun stone, it's like 8,000 gp I believe. it's in the DMG. Nevermind, still looking..

But you need to rest/mediate to get spells, if you're a spellcaster.

ColdSepp
2008-11-28, 07:33 PM
Ring of Sustenance lowers it to only 2 hours/night.

Keld Denar
2008-11-28, 07:43 PM
Not so much an item as a ritual, but becoming a Necropolitan has very few drawbacks, and undead traits means no more need to sleep, eat, or breath.

Warforged do not eat, sleep, or breath as well.

Elans don't sleep, but they still have to eat and breath.

Anything that changes your type to Outsiders should remove the need to eat or sleep, but I'd have to check into that a bit more. Still need to breath though, IIRC.

Oh, EUREKA! An eternal Wand of Lesser Restoration. The only penalty for not sleeping is the fatigued state the next day. Well, whenever "morning" technically is, and you feel the fatigued condition setting in, shoot up with some Lesser Restore juice and keep on truckin! Alternately, a regular Wand of Lesser Restoration would probably suffice except in the longest of long campaigns.

Albonor
2008-11-28, 07:47 PM
The Wakeful Mind Graft from Faiths of Eberon negates the need to sleep as well as making you immune to sleep and stunning effects. You still need to rest for 8 hours to gain back your spells.

arguskos
2008-11-28, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. The character in question is a barbarian, so spellcasting isn't relevant here (he's never going caster).

As for changing type, that unfortunately out of the question (Warforged/Elan don't exist in my world, and Necropolitan is very much unknown; besides, the character wishes to keep his race).

I do like the eternal wand of lesser restoration though, great catch.

Tehnar
2008-11-28, 07:57 PM
Beware lesser restoration takes 3 rounds to cast. Unless its a potion.

A lesser restoration is a handy spell to take care of those pesky fatigued conditions of barbarian rage. Keep a potion or two on you just in case a bad thing like your rage ends and combat is still going on.

Keld Denar
2008-11-28, 08:07 PM
Beware lesser restoration takes 3 rounds to cast. Unless its a potion.

Doesn't matter when the only use of the rod is to removed the fatigued condition from not sleeping the night before. As long as you don't get suprise attacked during that 18 second window of weakness!!!!!!!!!

Tehnar
2008-11-28, 08:24 PM
Dawn is generally the best time to strike a armed camp.

Some DMs might hit you with the penalty then. Since 24h is not as fixed time frame (meaning its not so easy for a adventurer to keep track off) as a round or a minute. Actually my players developed a way of measuring 6 seconds without a watch. Its draw weapon, sheathe weapon and take 5 ft step. So when planning a attack on something they say, ok im going to do the draw weapon thing 20 times then im going to charge. At least it beats metagaming the encounters.

Its not something you should worry about, it should very rarely occur. A lot of people miss out the 3 rnd cast time, just wanted to point that out. Its a wonderful spell otherwise.

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-28, 09:55 PM
Oh, EUREKA! An eternal Wand of Lesser Restoration. The only penalty for not sleeping is the fatigued state the next day. Well, whenever "morning" technically is, and you feel the fatigued condition setting in, shoot up with some Lesser Restore juice and keep on truckin! Alternately, a regular Wand of Lesser Restoration would probably suffice except in the longest of long campaigns.

I really wish I'd realized that when I was playing a cleric in my first D&D campaign. I was the only human, and the only one needing 8 hours of sleep (for some reason, the dwarf, half-elf, and gnome were deemed to need only 6 hours :smallconfused:).

And if D&D were RL, I would become a cleric just to abuse the heck out of this. Luckily for those of us who despise having to sleep, it seems that there's new medications that will let you stay up for 40+ hours with no side effects (http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/02/07/modafinil-and-co-the-promises--amp-perils-of-mind-altering-world-changing-drugs-like-modafinil.htm).

Aquillion
2008-11-28, 10:04 PM
Elans don't sleep, but they still have to eat and breath.Technically they can use Repletion to avoid having to eat and drink, at the cost of one power point per day (which they'll recover the next day, so they can do it indefinitely.) And they have two bonus power points.

And as for using Lesser Restoration to remove fatigue: The thing is, by that logic you could just never sleep, and you'd never suffer anything worse than the fatigued status. I don't think the rules are actually clear on what happens from more extended loss of sleep -- but just because it doesn't say anything, doesn't mean that nothing happens. It's a matter of DM call.

jcsw
2008-11-29, 09:10 AM

An eternal wand of ray of resurgence does the same thing, but it's a level one cleric spell. (Lost Empires of Faerun)

Keld Denar
2008-11-29, 12:07 PM
Is that the same Resurgance thats in the Spell Compedium (and CDivine, I think?)? That spell only lets you reroll a save against an ongoing magical effect, like Slow or Paralysis (provided someone else casts it on you). It doesn't cure Fatigue. I don't have LEoF, but I think it would be odd that they print 2 different spells with the same name. WotC editors are bad, but not that bad.

jcsw
2008-11-29, 12:15 PM
Is that the same Resurgance thats in the Spell Compedium (and CDivine, I think?)? That spell only lets you reroll a save against an ongoing magical effect, like Slow or Paralysis (provided someone else casts it on you). It doesn't cure Fatigue. I don't have LEoF, but I think it would be odd that they print 2 different spells with the same name. WotC editors are bad, but not that bad.

Ray of resurgence. Completely different and way better.

An Enemy Spy
2008-11-29, 12:17 PM
Elans

What is an Elan?

Zeful
2008-11-29, 12:20 PM
What is an Elan?

Psionic immortal humans.

jcsw
2008-11-29, 12:25 PM
What is an Elan?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans

Qanael
2008-11-29, 01:19 PM
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll reduces the need to sleep to one hour. It doesn't quite eliminate it, though...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's from the MIC.

Keld Denar
2008-11-29, 02:40 PM
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll reduces the need to sleep to one hour. It doesn't quite eliminate it, though...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's from the MIC.

HFB only works once every other day per character.

Gralamin
2008-11-29, 03:18 PM
Elans don't sleep, but they still have to eat and breath.

Elans have to sleep. Nothing in their racial traits say they do not have to sleep, and Aberrations eat, sleep, and breathe.

NEO|Phyte
2008-11-29, 04:38 PM
Elans have to sleep. Nothing in their racial traits say they do not have to sleep, and Aberrations eat, sleep, and breathe.

XPH, page 9.
"Elans do not sleep as members of most other races do. Instead, an elan meditates in a deep trance for 4 hours a day. An elan resting in this fashion gains the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep."

Gralamin
2008-11-29, 04:39 PM
XPH, page 9.
"Elans do not sleep as members of most other races do. Instead, an elan meditates in a deep trance for 4 hours a day. An elan resting in this fashion gains the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep."

Ah that wasn't in the SRD that I saw. Teaches me for being lazy.

Thurbane
2008-11-29, 10:05 PM
Have some noisy, inconsiderate Generation Y brats move into the flat next door to you. Works for me. Actually, that doesn't remove the need to sleep, only the ability to. :smallfurious: