PDA

View Full Version : Feats for an Awakened Skeletal Frostwind Virago?

Whiplord
2008-11-28, 10:52 PM
My DM let my Necromancer gain a Skeletal Frostwind Virago, which I am going to awaken, and I get to choose feats for it. What are the best ways to take advantage of its abilities?

So far I'm thinking Weapon Finesse, Flyby Attack, and Improved Natural Attack. What else would be good?

For reference, the Virago is in MM5.

It's got two claw attacks, and a fly speed.

JackMage666
2008-11-28, 11:02 PM
I don't think Awakened skeletons regain any feats, but I could be wrong...

The Glyphstone
2008-11-28, 11:11 PM
The only thing stopping Skeletons from having feats is their Int - and subsequent mindlessness. An Awakened skeleton gains an Int score, and thus qualifies for feats based on its total HD.

JackMage666
2008-11-28, 11:30 PM
My mistake, Spell Compendium says they gain Skills and Feats. The first time I encountered the spell was Libris Mortis, which specifically says they DO NOT regain skills or feats, but I guess they dropped that.

Whiplord
2008-11-28, 11:39 PM
I believe Libris Mortis stated they did not regain skills and feats that they had in life, but that they gained new feats according to HD.

Also, is it worth it taking Imp nat atk, or should I take a weapon proficiency and concentrate on that?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-29, 09:06 PM
Well, does a Skeletal Frostwind Virago keep all of it's supernatural abilities? If so, you want to pump those suckers.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-29, 09:10 PM
There is some interesting metaphysical implications for an awakened unintelligent undead. Does it now have a soul? Is it the same one as before, just it doesn't remember, or is it a brand new one? Could it be raised? What happens when it dies?

Keld Denar
2008-11-29, 09:11 PM
Its got a pair of claws, thus qualifies for Rapid Stike and Improved Rapid Strike from the Draconomicon. Might be worthwhile if you see him full attacking a lot. Then take Improved Natural Attack (claws).

arguskos
2008-11-29, 09:13 PM
There is some interesting metaphysical implications for an awakened unintelligent undead. Does it now have a soul? Is it the same one as before, just it doesn't remember, or is it a brand new one? Could it be raised? What happens when it dies?
I don't think undead have souls, Awakened or not. Just my thoughts, though, if it DID have a soul, I guess you could raise it (technically).

Hmm... I need to play a soul-binding necromancer who binds souls into undead, thus creating new "people" to be his friends, since he's a social outcast... I need to write this down! *skitters off to a Word doc*

Thurbane
2008-11-29, 09:26 PM
Pump up the claw attacks (Weapon Focus, Improved Natural Attack, Improved Critical) and aerial combat (Fly By Attack etc.).

Bear in mind that as per the SRD - "If the creature has more than 20 Hit Dice, it can’t be made into a skeleton by the animate dead spell.".

UserClone
2008-11-29, 09:57 PM
How does it fly without skin? Or is its flight magical, like a Beholder?
*meow-ack*

Edit: @argus, there is an interesting necromancer variant in Dragon 312 you'd probably be interested in, something to do with subjugating souls of the dead.

Whiplord
2008-11-29, 10:12 PM
Oooh, these are all good suggestions. Unfortunately, the virago does not keep it's Su abilities, as the Skeleton template gets rid of all those.

Rapidstrike is a good idea that I hadn't thought of.

As for Skeleton rules, I'm aware of that. Homebrewed exception I guess you could say.

These are all great, but I'm certainly open to more ideas.

Thurbane
2008-11-29, 10:49 PM
Libris Mortis: Improved Turn Resistance, Positive Energy Resistance

Savage Species: Great Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack

...actually, looking again the the MM5 entry, the creature doesn't get claw attacks, it gets Frostbite Touch (Su)?

Whiplord
2008-11-30, 12:55 AM
Skeleton template grants two d4 claw attacks, and removes all Su abilities. So unless there's any way to get those Su abilities back, claws are basically what I have to work with.

Keld Denar
2008-11-30, 01:09 AM
Skeleton template grants two d4 claw attacks, and removes all Su abilities. So unless there's any way to get those Su abilities back, claws are basically what I have to work with.

Eww, only d4 claws? You sure? Do they get adjusted for size? Improved Natural Attack is gonna be a ****ty feat then, because it'll only bump those to a d6...

Whiplord
2008-11-30, 01:16 AM
Yep, it's based on size, and Medium creatures get a d4 damage die. Which does suck terribly. Which is why I brought up the question of weapon proficiency feats.

Thurbane
2008-11-30, 01:22 AM
You are indeed correct, I misread the template.