PDA

View Full Version : Story-Adventures

Neithan
2008-11-29, 06:43 AM
One thing always bugged me.

Every so often, you see forum threads and blog entries, that start to praise the awsome great adventures of old. But I tried to read some of these "adventures". They are not adventures, they are just poorly designed dungeons with a big heap of random encounters!
It's all like diablo, except that diablo has a much more complex background story and, well... I don't know at least something resembling a story? Even Diablo 2, one of the most straight-forward hack and slay games, does have a story, which is brief, but entertaining. You kill tonns of monsters in ancient tombs, where old demons are imprisioned, but you do it to prevent the end of the world. Not a very new reason to do it, but at least there is a reason! "Hey, there's a tomb where we can look for treasure for the 27th time." is NOT a reason!

But terrible "adventures" are not really the point here. The point is great ADVENTURES!:smallsmile:
I'm currently working on the background story for a rather long campaign (I know, one game per months for 2 years is not that long for many old-school gamers) and though it's really exciting, it's really not that easily done. So I thought about starting a thread about story-driven campaigns that de-emphasise combat in favour of good planning and investigation. How much do you like it? What's your oppinion about style? How do you structure your campaigns? What have you learned works well and what not? And all the stuff like that.

Anyone read Heroes of Horror? I have to say, even when you don't want to run horror games, it's an awsome source for how to create tension and excitement. And it also dedicates half the pages to adventure and campaign design and wastes only 50% on feats, spells, and prestige classes. I wish there'd be more books like that.
Somehow, I also find Elder Evils quite intriguing. Though I don't run near-epic end of the world games, there are so many really good ideas about creating background stories for longer lasting campaign arcs. Does somebody know of other books, that might come in handy for that purpose?

insecure
2008-11-29, 07:47 AM
Of the top of my head, Heroes of Battle sounds like something you'll like. I know, it's battle focused of course, but the rules for larger-than-average battles and the battle-scripting advice may come in pretty handy.

afroakuma
2008-11-29, 08:12 AM
One thing always bugged me.

Every so often, you see forum threads and blog entries, that start to praise the awsome great adventures of old. But I tried to read some of these "adventures". They are not adventures, they are just poorly designed dungeons with a big heap of random encounters!

And this is bad... why?

Seriously, while a fair number of classic modules were simple dungeon crawl/dungeon stomp, a lot of them had that extra push. For example, the GDQ line, which started with a fight against the giants, then against the drow who had been manipulating them and at last into the greatest drow city and through a portal to protect existence from the evil drow goddess.

Neithan
2008-11-29, 08:44 AM
Well, I'm not saying that it is bad. I just don't like it at all. :smallbiggrin:

True, not every adventure is 100% dungeoncrawl, and if people like combat heavy dungeon crawl, who am I to speak against it? But I don't like it, because I prefer heavy stories and interaction. As I said, this is not for bashing hack and slay, but for an exchange of how to make cool story-driven campaigns.

insecure
2008-11-29, 08:47 AM
Oh, just got another idea. Pick up the Eberron campaign setting and start a game in Sharn, the city of towers. Basically, Sharn is your one stop for magical wonders and political intrigue, and it should be possible to run a campaign in there with almost no combat.

Asheram
2008-11-30, 12:04 PM
Anyone read Heroes of Horror? I have to say, even when you don't want to run horror games, it's an awsome source for how to create tension and excitement. And it also dedicates half the pages to adventure and campaign design and wastes only 50% on feats, spells, and prestige classes. I wish there'd be more books like that.
Somehow, I also find Elder Evils quite intriguing. Though I don't run near-epic end of the world games, there are so many really good ideas about creating background stories for longer lasting campaign arcs. Does somebody know of other books, that might come in handy for that purpose?

Well... No real campaign book, but if you want some good tip on horror, Read alice in wonderland, then play though American Mcgees': Alice
Nothing. NOTHING says horror like surrealism. :D

Neithan
2008-11-30, 01:33 PM
It's a lot more about me than I intended.

But what I *want* is reports about experiences. What kinds of campaign meta-plots have you used or played in? How did it work out, what little tricks did you discover? What do you think is good pacing and storytelling and how do you get the players to really get into the story instead of just experiencing it?
Stuff like that. :smallbiggrin:

I think I could post my main plot-arc, but I really have to finish this uni paper first. :smallsigh: