PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Rod of Wonder?

Maerok
2008-11-29, 02:11 PM
Anyone have some ideas to compile into a rod of wonder?

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-29, 02:13 PM
Give it to the party kender.

Maerok
2008-11-29, 02:19 PM
Hehe. Well I was thinking of things a RoW could do. As in making a newer, more devious one.

NEO|Phyte
2008-11-29, 02:20 PM
Replace an important component of some artifact dealy with one.
:edit: Oh. Uhhh, Invisibility, targeting the clothing of the targeted creature?

Collin152
2008-11-29, 03:08 PM
Inverts all color within a 30' radius, permanently.

Melts onto your hand, still functional, but nonremovable.

Teeka
2008-11-29, 03:11 PM
Our party had what we called 'the Rod of Squiggle', which we thought was a more or less ordinary Rod of Wonder until started using it. The DM had about three pages, covered in small writing, detailing what it might do. Some of the things I recall it doing:
- causing every member of the party to change genders
- getting a random chimera to follow us around, eating the remains of any person or monster we killed when it was around
- turning the cleric's armor invisible
- summoning a swarm of explosive butterflies that made it next to impossible for us to see anything
-causing the sorcerer to freak out by making him think that he had been turned into a dragon (the rest of us had no clue why he was panicking)
- turning random things invisible
- making it rain
- making grass grow
- making grass grow on the ranger's head
- summoning a rust monster to eat a cursed item we ended up with (the rust monster stayed with us, we called him Skittles)
- the miniature, multiplying monkeys (don't ask)
- replicating the effects of random spells with a twist (take any spell and make it funny)
- making it ran cupcakes
- causing potatoes to sprout from the fighter's ears

I'm sure there were more, and maybe our DM still has the list. I'll need to ask next time I see him.

Artanis
2008-11-29, 04:19 PM
Use it as a pickup line.

monty
2008-11-29, 04:23 PM
Just to really screw with people:

100: All creatures within a 50 yard radius (including the user) die or are destroyed, no save. Ignores all immunities to death effects and whatnot.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-29, 05:14 PM
Well, if you want to make a lot of options, fast, don't use a d100, and don't think of individual things to do. Instead, come up with portions of options - e.g.,

Effective Target (who is affected - ONLY those included as "effective target" here are directly affected - if you roll a Wish, it happens to the effective target, regardless of what you specifically ask for!): 1d4 (This overrides the area of an effect chosen later - if you roll a Fireball on the rod wielder, it only affects the rod wielder; if you roll Shocking Grasp on all within 1d20*10 feet, everyone in that range gets zapped despite it being a touch spell)
1: Rod Wielder
2: Person/Object rod is pointed at
3: Nearby random individual (excluding rod Wielder and person/object is pointed at)
4: All within 1d20*10 feet of rod wielder (including rod wielder).

Effective Caster (decides variable things, such as what you do if you get a Wish, also the "master" in the case of a Dominate effect or some such): 1d3
1: Rod Wielder
2: Person/Object rod is pointed at
3: Nearby random individual (including rod Wielder and person/object is pointed at)

Effective Caster Level: 1d20 (for dispels and the like)

Duration: 1d10 (does not apply for instantaneous damage spells)
1: Instant
2: Permanent
3: 1d20 rounds
4: 1d20 minutes
5: 1d20 hours
6: 1d20 days
7: 1d20 weeks
8: 1d20 months
9: 1d20 years
10: 1d20 decades

Effect: 1d100
1-10: Minor scroll, Arcane (roll on treasure tables, then activate that scroll's effect)
11-20: Minor scroll, Divine (roll on treasure tables, then activate that scroll's effect)
21-30: Medium Scroll, Arcane (roll on treasure tables, then activate that scroll's effect)
31-40: Medium Scroll, Divine (roll on treasure tables, then activate that scroll's effect)
41-45: Major Scroll, Arcane (roll on treasure tables, then activate that scroll's effect)
46-50: Major Scroll, Divine (roll on treasure tables, then activate that scroll's effect)
51: Changes gender
52: Doubles in size
53: Halves in size
54: Changes Race (as per Reincarnate, using the 3.0 tables)
55: Changes Race (as per Reincarnate, using the 3.5 tables)
56: Colors invert
Eh, I'm out of ideas for the moment, but the scroll effects will generally handle most things.

monty
2008-11-29, 05:18 PM
Not sure about the duration part, but that otherwise looks like a good start.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-29, 05:21 PM
Not sure about the duration part, but that otherwise looks like a good start.
If you don't include something like that on a duration, suddenly the book-standard Rod of Wonder is a Wizard's friend. Use it until you hit the "reduce" option, and you're done... with something like +3 AC, +3 Attack, and +12 to Hide checks. How long does it last? Likewise, the Invisibility the rod gives is not as the spell. When does it go away?

monty
2008-11-29, 05:27 PM
If you don't include something like that on a duration, suddenly the book-standard Rod of Wonder is a Wizard's friend. Use it until you hit the "reduce" option, and you're done... with something like +3 AC, +3 Attack, and +12 to Hide checks. How long does it last? Likewise, the Invisibility the rod gives is not as the spell. When does it go away?

I agree that there should be something, but it would need to be more complicated than that...what happens if you hit "permanent" on a damaging spell, for example?

Jack_Simth
2008-11-29, 05:30 PM
I agree that there should be something, but it would need to be more complicated than that...what happens if you hit "permanent" on a damaging spell, for example?

Good point; edited.

monty
2008-11-29, 05:35 PM
Good point; edited.

I just thought about a permanent Orb of X - stuff flying out of your palm for the rest of your life.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-29, 05:36 PM
I just thought about a permanent Orb of X - stuff flying out of your palm for the rest of your life.

How about a Permanent Orb of X - stuff HITTING YOU for the rest of your (very short) life?

monty
2008-11-29, 05:38 PM
How about a Permanent Orb of X - stuff HITTING YOU for the rest of your (very short) life?

Orb of Electricity on a Shambling Mound. There's an interesting side effect.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-29, 05:40 PM
Orb of Electricity on a Shambling Mound. There's an interesting side effect.
Fortunately, it can still be killed by other means...

But yeah, that would be somewhat nasty.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-29, 05:51 PM

That happened near the end of my last campaign, to the party sorcerer. From that point on, he rode on the fighter's shoulder and shot Scorching Rays at things, calling himself a Predator shoulder-gun.

Epinephrine
2008-11-29, 08:59 PM
Make metal in a 15' cone into clay.
Freeze the target in time for 1d3 rounds (unaffected by anything), followed by 3 rounds of haste.
100' radius reverse cloudburst (water pools out of the soil, flies up into a cloud and then dissipates)
Lemon scented fog covers a 20' radius, interferes with scent; when it disperses all items in it are mended and cleaned.

Bizarrely misspelled spells?
Colon Spray (ewww!)
Lunch Bolt (Umm, turns ammunition into food?)
Mace Hand (haha! I have a weapon now!)
Burping Hands (weird)
Disguise Elf
Obscuring Mast (summons a giant pole, with sails. Really blocks the view)
Tenser's Bloating Dirk (AH! He stabbed me, and now my ankles are swollen!)

Thurbane
2008-11-29, 09:12 PM
I've got a whole list here (http://www.angelfire.com/games/thurbanesdomain/items/wands.htm), but it is for 2nd edition...

Bizarrely misspelled spells?
Don't forget Tasha's Hideous Daughter! :smallbiggrin:

Cheesegear
2008-11-29, 09:22 PM
I've got a whole list here (http://www.angelfire.com/games/thurbanesdomain/items/wands.htm), but it is for 2nd edition...

I much prefer her Hideous Slaughter. It summons a Balor.

Collin152
2008-11-29, 09:47 PM
I much prefer her Hideous Slaughter. It summons a Balor.

"Ooh, a laughter house!"

Kris Strife
2008-11-29, 09:57 PM
turns the armor of all women into sensible style of armor.

turns the armor of all females in sensible armor into something skimpy, no loss of AC

Maerok
2008-11-29, 10:21 PM

Spooky, I think I see some THAC0 in there... :smalleek:

Prometheus
2008-11-29, 10:30 PM
I like the idea of basing effects on transmutations (all within a certain radius, maybe with a temporary duration or not):
Oil to Water, Water to Oil, Wood to Metal, Metal to Stone, Stone to Wood, Cloth to Glass, Glass to Cloth, Water to Air, Air to Water, Undead to Constructs, Constructs to Undead, Precious items to Ruined items, Ruined items to Precious items, Merchants to Bandits, Bandits to Priests, Priests to Commoners, Commoners to Merchants,

Pie Guy
2008-11-29, 10:55 PM
The wielder of the rod dies instantly, no save. From around the corner, a replica of the wielder walks up picks up the rod, and must make a will save vs. curiosity to do that again (New effect, DC 15).

Randel
2008-11-30, 02:22 AM
1). Activate the rod of wonder and then on one side a secret compartment opens up to reveal the History Eraser Button.

If someone presses it then it erases history in a 50 foot radius, anyone caught in it gets amnesia and forgets everything they did before that point (they keep their skills and stuff but have to examine their equipment to find out what it does again.) those with ranks in knowledge history can't use it until they start reading in a library or something to regain that knowledge. Unless someone was keeping written records then they may forget their quest.

2). It conjures a cake (there is a 50/50 chance that the cake is an illusion)

3). Summons a future version of the rods wielder, the future version is either elderly and in their bath robe (and has a heart attack upon being brought to the present) or it summons a corpse who has been looted of all its valuables.

4). The rod frees itself from the users hand, turns itself backwards, and then polymorphs into a 'door' of wonders. The door leads to a random location, after a minute the door reverts into a rod and hangs splinched between the two locations. At which point someone can grab it from either the starting point or the destination.

5). Summons a small creature like a frog, mouse, or turtle. Whenever the rods user is alone with it the creature will sing and dance for them, however it stops if anyone else tries to listen in. If abandoned, it will later choose another as its 'owner' and perform the same service to them.

6). Creates a counter-aligned clone of the rods wielder. The clone has a goatee (if the origional has a goatee then the clone does not). The clone knows full well that they are a clone and generally has no desire to kill the origional. They have no magic items, but instead have mundane equipment thats identical to the origionals (thuogh may be colored differently). Any coins the origional had, the double has an equal number of copper pieces.

7). The user is rendered silent for an hour, during that time they blow smoke that forms into the words they would otherwise speak.

8). The nearest cup, mug, or canteen begins overflowing with whatever liquid is in it at the time and continues to do so for several hours.

9). The group is moved 12 hours into the future, effectivly seeing day turn to night (or night to day) in a moment.

10). The rod of wonder glows with power and transforms into a rod of Sunder, it becomes especially good at sundering weapons in combat. It retiurns to normal after 24 hours.

VerdugoExplode
2008-11-30, 02:55 AM
This is all you need
Go to this page (http://gnba.netdemons.com/books/olik/Spells_Magic.html)
Download the net libram of random magical effects
It has a table containing 10,000(yes, 4 zeroes) random magical occurrences
Have a laptop handy as I don't think you want to print all 84 pages

Kris Strife
2008-11-30, 03:11 AM
The copy should have a double goatee and/or wear a chancellors hat.

jcsw
2008-11-30, 03:45 AM
This is all you need
Go to this page (http://gnba.netdemons.com/books/olik/Spells_Magic.html)
Download the net libram of random magical effects
It has a table containing 10,000(yes, 4 zeroes) random magical occurrences
Have a laptop handy as I don't think you want to print all 84 pages

/threadwin.

Aquillion
2008-11-30, 05:39 AM
1). Activate the rod of wonder and then on one side a secret compartment opens up to reveal the History Eraser Button.

If someone presses it then it erases history in a 50 foot radius, anyone caught in it gets amnesia and forgets everything they did before that point (they keep their skills and stuff but have to examine their equipment to find out what it does again.) those with ranks in knowledge history can't use it until they start reading in a library or something to regain that knowledge. Unless someone was keeping written records then they may forget their quest.
You forgot:

Anyone in the presence of the button must make a DC 20 will save or be compelled to push it. Push the beautiful shiny button. The jolly candy-like button.