PDA

View Full Version : feats that grant darkvision

sleepy
2008-11-29, 08:39 PM
I'm looking for a way to do this that isn't bloody awkward. So far I've only found 2 ways to gain continuous darkvision through feats.

Draconic Senses is way too high an investment, since 99% of characters will have to utterly waste a feat on Dragontouched and it's very likely the third draconic feat neccecary to upgrade Senses will be suboptimal too. The other way I've found is Bind Vestige, which does grant some flexibility, but if you want to use it for continuous darkvision it will give you horns and make you extremely grumpy at least 3 days a week.

Is there anything out there that isn't such a hassle?

(I don't want a wand, class dip, or a wizard cohort. An item might be ok if it's cheap provides a continuous effect but really I want a feat)

Jack_Simth
2008-11-29, 08:44 PM
I'm looking for a way to do this that isn't bloody awkward. So far I've only found 2 ways to gain continuous darkvision through feats.

Draconic Senses is way too high an investment, since 99% of characters will have to utterly waste a feat on Dragontouched and it's very likely the third draconic feat neccecary to upgrade Senses will be suboptimal too. The other way I've found is Bind Vestige, which does grant some flexibility, but if you want to use it for continuous darkvision it will give you horns and make you extremely grumpy at least 3 days a week.

Is there anything out there that isn't such a hassle?

(I don't want a wand, class dip, or a wizard cohort. An item might be ok if it's cheap provides a continuous effect but really I want a feat)

Well, if you're okay with being a mage yourself, Sunlight Eyes (Complete Mage) gives you a one-round Swift-Action ability to see regardless of conditions of illumination - including through magical darkness - with a range based on the level of the spell held in reserve. Umbral Shroud (Complete Champion) gives Darkvision-10 as a secondary benefit.

ColdSepp
2008-11-29, 08:48 PM
Warlock 1 gives you a Least Invocation. Take See the Unseen, you get Darkvision 60 and Continuous See Invisibility. It's At Will, 24 hour Duration.

JeminiZero
2008-11-29, 09:10 PM
If you're a high Wis type, you might invest in Blindfight, and then go into Blindsight 5ft (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Blindsight%2C_5-ft._Radius)

Inhuman Bot
2008-11-29, 09:15 PM
Warlock 1 gives you a Least Invocation. Take See the Unseen, you get Darkvision 60 and Continuous See Invisibility. It's At Will, 24 hour Duration.

he didn't want a dip.

do you need darkvision or light?

For darkvision, just buy goggles of ultravision (?)

if you can accept light, buy a ring of [insert color of choice here]

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-29, 09:23 PM
A scroll of darkvision plus a scroll of permanency would give you permanent darkvision.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-29, 09:25 PM
Bind Vestige (Amon) will give you useless horns and darkvision. Also, it'll make you irritable.

JackMage666
2008-11-29, 09:27 PM
Draconic Senses is a pretty solid feat, if you're a Sorcerer... Other than that, buy a torch or Goggles of Darvision.

Thurbane
2008-11-29, 09:48 PM
Bind Vestige (Amon) will give you useless horns and darkvision. Also, it'll make you irritable.
Bingo! This is probably the easiest 1 feat solution you're going to find...

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-29, 09:53 PM

Irritable cause you're horny all the time?

RTGoodman
2008-11-29, 09:55 PM

Well, there's this whole part of the OP...

The other way I've found is Bind Vestige, which does grant some flexibility, but if you want to use it for continuous darkvision it will give you horns and make you extremely grumpy at least 3 days a week.

:smalltongue:

I don't think there are any feats that GIVE darkvision, but there're a bunch that improve it. The goggles that someone mentioned might be the only way, short of offing yourself a hoping for a good reincarnate. (That should grant darkvision, right?)

Lert, A.
2008-11-29, 10:45 PM
There is another way, but it requires two feats, and making a pact with a devil.

Fiendish Codex II lets you get Devil's Sight, which grants darkvision 60ft and blindsight 30ft for 5 rounds 1/day per Devil-Touched feat you possess. It does require, Devil's Favor though (+2 on attack save or check 1/day per DT feat, prerequisite pact with a devil. Two feats means 2/day for both blindsight and favor bonus. Penalties for DT feats are 1) cannot take or use exalted feats, and 2) -1 to Cha skill checks to interact with good creatures and animals.

Only other feat chain I could find.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-29, 11:13 PM
Lords of Madness has Inhuman Vision, which has Aberration Blood as a prerequisite. It gives Darkvision to a range of 5 ft. per Aberrant feat you have, many of which are really good for certain characters, or just to spend an extra feat on for more versatility such as Starspawn or Waterspawn.

Darrin
2008-11-29, 11:16 PM
There is another way, but it requires two feats, and making a pact with a devil.

Fiendish Codex II lets you get Devil's Sight, which grants darkvision 60ft and blindsight 30ft for 5 rounds 1/day per Devil-Touched feat you possess.

Eyes of the Abyss + any other Abyssal Heritor feat would also work, but only 5' per abyssal feat. Aberrant Blood + Inhuman Vision might be a bit better.

Otherworldly gives you Darvision 60', +2 on diplomacy, and alter self cheese.

Orc-Blooded (Dragon #315) gives you Darkvision 30' and adds barbarian to your favored classes (good for that pounce dip).

Shape Soulmeld: Basilisk Mask can give you Darkvision 30' per essentia invested, but you'd need a source of essentia... probably from another Incarnum feat. There's another soulmeld you can bind to your brow with Open Lesser Chakra for Darkvision 60'.

Dragonborn of Bahumant only costs 100 gp, doesn't require any feats/templates/LA, and starts with Darkvision 30', goes up to 160' and Blindsense 30'.

Weizegger
2008-11-29, 11:21 PM
Homebrew 'Ebon Eyes' item. Perm'd 60 ft Darkvision and can see through magical darkness. Second Level Spell.

Thurbane
2008-11-29, 11:25 PM
How would that be any cheaper the Goggles of Darkvision?

mabriss lethe
2008-11-30, 12:21 AM
yeah. I'd just go with bind vestige, even though that isn't what you want.

A thought if you change your mind. the best way to use the feat is to keep it empty until the you need a given power. Then go ahead, assuming you have the down time, and bind a vestige normally. If you don't have the time, you can rush a binding attempt as a full round action with a -10 penalty to your check....which means next to nothing when using this feat since, not being a binder, It's pretty likely that you'd fail the check anyway.

AmberVael
2008-11-30, 01:12 AM
Eyes of the Abyss + any other Abyssal Heritor feat would also work, but only 5' per abyssal feat. Aberrant Blood + Inhuman Vision might be a bit better.

Eyes of the Abyss actually grants 30ft darkvision on taking it. The only thing improved by taking other feats is the bonus on spot checks it grants.

One other Abyssal Heritor feat as a prereq for Eyes of the Abyss, then Eyes of the Abyss will net you 30ft darkvision. And there are some GOOD feats in that series.

Thurbane
2008-11-30, 01:19 AM
If the OP isn't thrilled about having a pair of horns, he's probably not that chuffed about being part aberration, demon or dragon, either... :smalltongue:

Wih
2008-11-30, 01:23 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Otherworldy turns you into an Outsider, and all Outsiders have DV 60'...right?

only1doug
2008-11-30, 07:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Otherworldy turns you into an Outsider, and all Outsiders have DV 60'...right?

pre-requisite: deep imaskari, elf (evermeet or sildeyuir) or ashane

UserClone
2008-11-30, 08:04 AM
Incarnum or becoming a Dragonborn is probably your best bet.

Thurbane
2008-11-30, 01:50 PM
I'm guessing the OP can't retcon his race, but for people who want to play (near) humans and get darkvision, there's always Underfolk.