12-34
2008-11-29, 08:40 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html

Roy refers to him as "V-Man"... :smalleek:
(I'm kinda new and I was curious.)

Just askin' :)

Smiley_
2008-11-29, 08:42 PM
Look through the comic and you will see that V's gender has always and probably will always be ambiguous. Some refer to V as a "he", others as a "she". This has been gone over countless times.

Lira
2008-11-29, 08:43 PM
FAQ:
http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10

Keris
2008-11-29, 08:44 PM
The subject of V's gender is under debate, people arguing their sides quite heatedly at times. This strip only shows Roy's view of V's gender, as do many other comics throughout the series. We may never know the actual gender, and in fact the Giant has stated as much. (FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10))

EDIT: Blasted ninjas....

FoE
2008-11-29, 08:47 PM
Heh. Every couple of months we get another noob trotting out his/her theories on evidence that they suppose everyone has overlooked.

The forum has heard it all. Every piece of evidence has been weighed, and the only way to ever ascertain the truth is Word of God from Rich.

Keris
2008-11-29, 08:51 PM
Heh. Every couple of months we get another noob trotting out his/her theories on evidence that they suppose everyone has overlooked.
That's not entirely fair. It looks to me like the OP was simply curious, having initially thought of V as a girl, and finding conflicting evidence, he/she then asked for confirmation on the forum

The forum has heard it all. Every piece of evidence has been weighed, and the only way to ever ascertain the truth is Word of God from Rich.

Well, all the evidence apart from one small detail in a comic that no-ones noticed till now.:smalltongue:

Trizap
2008-11-29, 08:55 PM
I think V's a girl to balance out the gender ratio as it would make more sense to me that it would 4 to 2 rather than 5 to 1, but I keep quiet about my views, I don't wanna set off an argument

DBJack
2008-11-29, 08:55 PM
Strip 9 is the one that started the 'great debate,' and the one that caused Rich to decide to make it ambiguous.

FoE
2008-11-29, 09:10 PM
Well, all the evidence apart from one small detail in a comic that no-ones noticed till now.

I noticed it. And it has been put into evidence.

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN ARGUED.

Tengu_temp
2008-11-29, 09:10 PM
Strip 9 is the one that started the 'great debate,' and the one that caused Rich to decide to make it ambiguous.

This. V was initially supposed to be male, but since people on the forums had doubts and some thought from the beginning that he's female, Giant decided to play the joke and V officially became Schroedinger's Elf. We'll never learn his/her true gender.

TheSummoner
2008-11-29, 09:31 PM
I personally imagine V as male, mostly because his/her body is square shaped with no noticable curves (even when naked after the whole "turned into a lizard" thing), but it seems most of the jokes seem to go with "V is female" to balance the guy/girl ratio a bit.

I'm sure if we ever see V's mate, he/she will have an equally ambiguous gender.

nosignal
2008-11-29, 09:58 PM
That's not entirely fair. It looks to me like the OP was simply curious, having initially thought of V as a girl, and finding conflicting evidence, he/she then asked for confirmation on the forum

So what's the deal with this monster under the umbrella? Does anyone know which monster likes stew? Discuss.

Thog likes puppies right? He can't be evil. Discuss.

V said [Insert four words spoken by V in hir most recent appearance]. When's hir ultimate arcane power going to manifest?!?!?!11111

I'm simply curious.

Well, all the evidence apart from one small detail in a comic that no-ones noticed till now.:smalltongue:

Right. No one noticed what Roy said in the ninth strip of the comic. Absolutely no one at all. We're all blind; thanks for enlightening us, OP.

Ghastly Epigram
2008-11-29, 10:15 PM
Right. No one noticed what Roy said in the ninth strip of the comic. Absolutely no one at all. We're all blind; thanks for enlightening us, OP.

But this is not the case of the OP making a thread and going: "Hey, in this strip he says V's a guy that means he is I can has cookies for ending debate?" This is the case of the OP thinking V was a girl, then seeing information to the contrary in the comic and coming on to the forums for confirmation. A harmless question to satisfy their curiosity. And now you have probably scared them away forever. :smalltongue:

Flame of Anor
2008-11-29, 11:10 PM
So what's the deal with this monster under the umbrella? Does anyone know which monster likes stew? Discuss.

Thog likes puppies right? He can't be evil. Discuss.

V said [Insert four words spoken by V in hir most recent appearance]. When's hir ultimate arcane power going to manifest?!?!?!11111

I'm simply curious.

4: Belkar's really Chaotic Good, isn't he?

5: Haley/Vaarsuvius/Durkon is secretly pregnant with Elan/Belkar/Redcloak/Miko's baby, didn't everyone know that?

6: Miko/Shojo/Trigak (I just got the joke in that name! Tri+gak=three*gak; cf. last words: "Gak! Gak! Gak!") . isn't dead, it was a clever illusion!

7: RadikalSkippy will not come and add two items to the end of this list!

8: ????

9: PROFIT!!!! (Oh, well, that seventh one was pretty unlikely)

Haruki-kun
2008-11-29, 11:13 PM

Not so sure about that. Even after getting WoG from Rich about Belkar's alignment, people kept arguing he might be Neutral.

And I have friends who argue that Sheik is a guy. It's Zelda! Deal with it!

kerberos
2008-11-29, 11:24 PM
Not so sure about that. Even after getting WoG from Rich about Belkar's alignment, people kept arguing he might be Neutral.
Well we also have WoG that Richs pronouncements on the forum aren't canon, so I supose it's not technically any dumber to argue that Belkar is neutral after Rich said it than before.

Haruki-kun
2008-11-29, 11:32 PM
Well we also have WoG that Richs pronouncements on the forum aren't canon, so I supose it's not technically any dumber to argue that Belkar is neutral after Rich said it than before.

I rest my case.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-29, 11:45 PM
Maybe 'the elf' is a reverse futa.
Or maybe just rather flat chested regular futa. That seemed to be the implication of this guest strip (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/GuestWeek2005/oots9901.gif).

kerberos
2008-11-29, 11:48 PM

I rest my case.

You don't actually think I believe that Belkar is Neutral do you?

Roland St. Jude
2008-11-29, 11:48 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This isn't a V gender debate thread, let alone a "let's list all the crazy debates" thread. Calling people "noobs" is not appropriate on this board.

To the OP, that's a legitimate question, and the answer is that V's gender is apparently unknown - to both the readers and the characters in the comic.