PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine Body

Scribble
2008-11-30, 03:12 AM
Hello all, I have a conundrum.

I'm making a Warforged Juggernaut and one of the most obvious pre-reqs is the Adamantine Body feat. This only irks me in one respect: I move 20'.

Is there any possible way, through a feat or magic item hopefully, that I can regain my lost 10' of movement? I just want to be able to keep up with everyone else.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

EDIT: Okay.. I feel really stupid now.. most obvious answer: Boots of S&S

mabriss lethe
2008-11-30, 03:41 AM
well, you could take a level of barbarian for a +10 ft untyped bonus. It may or may not work with adamantine body. If I remember correctly there was a clarification somewhere in one of the Eberron books concerning warforged composite plating. Something like this...it acts like armor and takes up the same spot as armor, but for the purposes of most class features, it isn't considered armor. But don't hold me to that, I honestly don't remember all of the quirks involved.

you could go psyforged (or pick a psionic class) and then pick up speed of thought for an Insight bonus. You could pick up bind vestige and practiced binder (or take a level in binder) then bind ronove for a +10 ft enhancement bonus Picking up the Dark Creature template (or having a collar of umbral metamorphosis to get the template) grants a +10 untyped bonus.

There are a ton of ways to boost speed.

Random NPC
2008-11-30, 03:45 AM
you could go psyforged (or pick a psionic class) and then pick up speed of thought for an Insight bonus..
This

I say Fighter 2/Psychic Warrior 2 is quite good over all.

jcsw
2008-11-30, 03:49 AM
Check Tome of Magic for the Tooth of Savnok. I don't have it with me now, so I don't know if it would work for you, but it lets you move at normal speed even when encumbered/armored.

Harp
2008-11-30, 05:40 AM
well, you could take a level of barbarian for a +10 ft untyped bonus. It may or may not work with adamantine body. If I remember correctly there was a clarification somewhere in one of the Eberron books concerning warforged composite plating. Something like this...it acts like armor and takes up the same spot as armor, but for the purposes of most class features, it isn't considered armor.

Not to be a butthead but just meaning to clarify rules by RAW, adamantine body is worded in such a way that the warforged in question is always considered to be wearing heavy armor. This means Barbarian Speed, which only takes effect for characters wearing up to medium armor, cannot apply in this case.

Composite plating (which means you didn't take Adamantine or Mithril Body during creation) doesn't count as wearing armor for some things, as the poster suggested. However, do not confuse compose plating for encompassing all warforged armor types.

RebelRogue
2008-11-30, 06:29 AM
Boots of Striding and Springing could do the trick.

Eloel
2008-11-30, 06:35 AM
Wings of Flying should do the trick.
1- You get 60 ft speed
2- That speed is flight speed.

mabriss lethe
2008-11-30, 12:37 PM
Not to be a butthead but just meaning to clarify rules by RAW, adamantine body is worded in such a way that the warforged in question is always considered to be wearing heavy armor.

That's why I added so many qualifiers. I knew there was something going on, but I honestly couldn't remember exactly how it all worked.(since I don't use eberron material very often.)

Also added: Animal Devotion. Unless you invest heavily in feats or take levels in a turning/rebuking class you'll only have it once per day, but it scales. starting at +5ft at level 1 and capping at +30 feet as a sacred or profane bonus. As an added plus you can use this feat to fly or for a quick strength boost as well.

Deth Muncher
2008-11-30, 12:46 PM
Wings of Flying should do the trick.
1- You get 60 ft speed
2- That speed is flight speed.

"The Flight of the Valkyries" started going through my head as I saw this. He's an effing Warforged Juggernaut, okay? He's huge. And now he's got wings, letting him move 60ft per round. Just think of the busted things he could do if he took some of the flying feats, or if he has a really lenient DM:

Ex.1 - Flying Bull Rush. Using real-world-maths, THAT much dense metal, moving at 10ft/second...unless he's hitting the Tarrasque, it should probably be liquified.

Sinfire Titan
2008-11-30, 02:03 PM
Check Tome of Magic for the Tooth of Savnok. I don't have it with me now, so I don't know if it would work for you, but it lets you move at normal speed even when encumbered/armored.

That doesn't work. As written, the feat actually reduces his base land speed, it doesn't say it encumbers him as though it were heavy armor.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 02:25 PM
"The Flight of the Valkyries" started going through my head as I saw this. He's an effing Warforged Juggernaut, okay? He's huge. And now he's got wings, letting him move 60ft per round. Just think of the busted things he could do if he took some of the flying feats, or if he has a really lenient DM:

Ex.1 - Flying Bull Rush. Using real-world-maths, THAT much dense metal, moving at 10ft/second...unless he's hitting the Tarrasque, it should probably be liquified.

I think all the catgirls in the way that he mows through will slow his momentum quite a bit.

Scribble
2008-11-30, 02:59 PM

Well, Juggernaut doesn't increase your size at all. And none of the game mechanics I know of take your characters own weight into account. Which is something that just occured to me: Although I have all the penalties as though I'm wearing heavy armor, I don't have to calculate the weight of it when doing stuff like encumberance.

On another note... I've tried searching around but could only find one thing on what templates you can apply to a warforged. Sage said templates that can be used on constructs are fine... but I haven't found a single one of those. Sage also said that any of the Half templates from MM are okay as well... but didn't give any other examples. Can anyone help on this?

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-30, 03:21 PM
Well, Juggernaut doesn't increase your size at all. And none of the game mechanics I know of take your characters own weight into account.

There's the falling rules, actually. For every 200 pounds your character weighs / 10 feet your character falls, whatever he lands on takes some extra damage.

Scribble
2008-11-30, 03:25 PM
Good ol' 'Death From Above' attack... too bad I'd take the damage too.

Deth Muncher
2008-11-30, 03:50 PM
Good ol' 'Death From Above' attack... too bad I'd take the damage too.

Contingent Repair Serious Damage?

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 04:02 PM
Well, Juggernaut doesn't increase your size at all. And none of the game mechanics I know of take your characters own weight into account. Which is something that just occured to me: Although I have all the penalties as though I'm wearing heavy armor, I don't have to calculate the weight of it when doing stuff like encumberance.

On another note... I've tried searching around but could only find one thing on what templates you can apply to a warforged. Sage said templates that can be used on constructs are fine... but I haven't found a single one of those. Sage also said that any of the Half templates from MM are okay as well... but didn't give any other examples. Can anyone help on this?

Frankly, Sage quite often doesn't know one body part from another body part, and even if he did, wouldn't be able to find either part with an everburning torch and a map. In this particular case, he happens to be right on the following:

Half-Dragon, Half-Celestial, and Half-Fiend: Any Living, Corporeal creature. If the Living Construct subtype means that warforged do count as living creatures, they qualify.

EDIT: And this seems to hold firm for any Half-template except Half-Golem (duh). There are no templates that can be applied specifically to constructs according to Crystalkeep, which is usually quite reliable.

Bayar
2008-11-30, 04:03 PM
Take the quick trait. It says you get +10 Land speed. It doesnt say that you lose it while wearing heavy armor. heh, I do this with dwarves and get 30 ft while wearing full plate :biggrin:

Scribble
2008-11-30, 04:08 PM
Frankly, Sage quite often doesn't know one body part from another body part, and even if he did, wouldn't be able to find either part with an everburning torch and a map. In this particular case, he happens to be right on the following:

Half-Dragon, Half-Celestial, and Half-Fiend: Any Living, Corporeal creature. If the Living Construct subtype means that warforged do count as living creatures, they qualify.

So, any template that can be used on a Living Corporeal creature is alright to stick on a warforged. Though I'm going to try and keep it to stuff that at least makes a bit of sense.

Are there *any* official d20 templates made to be put on Constructs, other than Incarnate Construct?

Lert, A.
2008-11-30, 04:10 PM
Not to be a butthead but just meaning to clarify rules by RAW, adamantine body is worded in such a way that the warforged in question is always considered to be wearing heavy armor. This means Barbarian Speed, which only takes effect for characters wearing up to medium armor, cannot apply in this case.

Except that on p.23 or Races of Eberron it specifically states: "...and the Adamantine Body feat grants you excellent protection that barbarians cannot normally gain. The barbarian speed bonus offsets the slower speed imposed by that feat..."

RAW provide an exception for Adamantine Body.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-30, 04:35 PM
So, any template that can be used on a Living Corporeal creature is alright to stick on a warforged. Though I'm going to try and keep it to stuff that at least makes a bit of sense.

Are there *any* official d20 templates made to be put on Constructs, other than Incarnate Construct?

None that I've seen, and none in Crystalkeep - which is pretty reliable in listing the existence of things, even if it's quite poor in telling you what they do.

As for stuff that makes sense, it's easier to justify a half template with Warforged than almost any other race, just by excusing it as a result of special materials or a special creation process.

Half-Celestial Warforged? It was built to resemble a celestial, and blessed by a summoned archon during construction.

Half-Fiend Warforged? As above, but built to look like a devil/demon, and probably empowered/awakened during some sort of sacrificial ritual.

Half-Dragon Warforged? Draconic scales instead of plating, and an alchemical/mechanical device that imitates a breath weapon.

Half-Elemental? Warforged are empowered by elemental spirits anyways, this is just a particular spirit gaining more significant influence over its housing.

Warforged may even be unique in that they can be justified with having two Half-Something templates, since they are created and not born.

Scribble
2008-11-30, 04:43 PM
Good points. I didn't think of it that way.

Now I just need to figure out what template to use on a Warforged Crusader who worships Wee Jas.

Waspinator
2008-11-30, 05:02 PM
You know, despite the wisdom penalty, a Warforged Psychic Warrior could be pretty good. The "Hustle" power could be useful for moving faster with that adamantine armor, too.

Mercenary Pen
2008-11-30, 05:14 PM
Ranger 4 or Travel Domain Cleric for Longstrider spell (and Fly as Travel Domain Cleric...)?

Dunno if that's of any use to you because I have no Eberron books or anything...

Harp
2008-12-01, 03:00 AM
Except that on p.23 or Races of Eberron it specifically states: "...and the Adamantine Body feat grants you excellent protection that barbarians cannot normally gain. The barbarian speed bonus offsets the slower speed imposed by that feat..."

RAW provide an exception for Adamantine Body.

Page 50 of the Eberron Campaign Setting, in the Adamantine Body feat. "However, your base land speed is reduced to 20 feet, and you are considered to be wearing heavy armor."

Barbarian Fast Movement Description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#barbarianFastMovement). "This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load."

I'll let everyone else decide if Races of Eberron is right on this one or not, as it is suggesting an exception to a clearly RAW interpretation. If you never bought the book (as I did not), you would undoubtedly be led to the same conclusion I have.

Lert, A.
2008-12-01, 03:04 AM
The only caveat is that Races was published later and is therefore considered to be the more accurate source.

Edit: noticed your addition. I agree that if you did not have RoE then yes, that would be the only rational explanation.