PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How do you make a weapon that heals? I want to shoot a party member...

newbDM
2008-11-30, 08:11 AM
I have heard healing weapons mentioned on the WotC boards (before the previous edition forums were killed off), and I have just seen them mentioned here in another thread.

I know the idea is mostly jokingly, but I actually want to try getting it past my current DM.

Plus, there is currently a friendly rivalry between my civilized and "snobby" gray elf PC and the "savage" wild elf PC in the group. Since my psion is working as the crowd control, and the makeshift healer (I researched the Healing power from Complete Psionics and I have a dorje of the same power), this would be the perfect excuse to pump arrows into the guy while claiming to be "helping" him. :smallbiggrin:

So, how exactly does one pull this off? I am thinking of using a hand crossbow for this, since his Str score is only a 5. However, I feel it is rather unelf-like. He has a Dex score of 13 if that matters.

jcsw
2008-11-30, 08:15 AM
Spell/Power Storing?

Riffington
2008-11-30, 08:27 AM
his Str score is only a 5.

That's a feature, not a bug - you're trying to do minimum damage if you want the healing to exceed the hurting.

Mephit
2008-11-30, 08:33 AM
Yup. Use thrown weapons. Dex to hit, your strength penalty to the damage.
I'd use Darts, or maybe a boomerang.

Yes, most definitely a boomerang. It deals Nonlethal damage. You can deal at max 1 nonlethal damage to your buddies. It also returns.

newbDM
2008-11-30, 08:48 AM
That's a feature, not a bug - you're trying to do minimum damage if you want the healing to exceed the hurting.

Yup. Use thrown weapons. Dex to hit, your strength penalty to the damage.
I'd use Darts, or maybe a boomerang.

Yes, most definitely a boomerang. It deals Nonlethal damage. You can deal at max 1 nonlethal damage to your buddies. It also returns.

Well, I like the idea of making him a living pincushion...

Also, he often flies around on his giant eagle mount, or goes on walls and such using his monstrous spider mount. So I think I need something with a bit more distance.

mikej
2008-11-30, 09:10 AM
Merciful [ +1 Bonus ] weapon enhancement can be added to bows & crossbows, I believe all damage is dealt is non-lethal. If that works just use spell storing to heal.

newbDM
2008-11-30, 09:40 AM
I like the idea of the Power Storing Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#powerStoring). With it I can theoretically heal 10hp a shot (max 5 power points, and 1 power point = 2hp). There are just a few things I am confused about.

The link above does not say how long it takes to embed a power within the weapon. Does anyone know how long it would take? Is it a free action, which would allow me to reshoot each round?

It says Power Storing is a +1 option for Melee weapons. So can I even use it for a ranged weapon?

Glyde
2008-11-30, 09:54 AM
I think you cast the spell into the weapon with the intention of storing it, and it stores it. It's not for 'on-the-fly' usage I wouldn't think. Just prepare a bunch and have a bag of spell-storing darts with healing already in them. With a big first aid symbol on it.

Hal
2008-11-30, 10:21 AM
I think you cast the spell into the weapon with the intention of storing it, and it stores it. It's not for 'on-the-fly' usage I wouldn't think. Just prepare a bunch and have a bag of spell-storing darts with healing already in them. With a big first aid symbol on it.

Merciful [ +1 Bonus ] weapon enhancement can be added to bows & crossbows, I believe all damage is dealt is non-lethal. If that works just use spell storing to heal.

So . . . Merciful Bow with a bunch of Power Storing (Healing) arrows. Sounds like a very angry heal. Like that school nurse who ripped band-aids off and rubbed iodine into the wounds just a little too hard.

newbDM
2008-11-30, 11:16 AM

Well, so many +2 darts would be too expensive. And again, I need the range of a bow or crossbow, since I tend to stay quite a distance away from combat. Plus with a bow or crossbow the enchantment of the weapon is passed on to the ammunition.

And again I am not sure if you can use power storing on a ranged weapon.

So . . . Merciful Bow with a bunch of Power Storing (Healing) arrows. Sounds like a very angry heal. Like that school nurse who ripped band-aids off and rubbed iodine into the wounds just a little too hard.

A "very angry heal". I like that. :smallbiggrin:

*Pulls out bow*

My PC: "Hey, close your eyes, don't move, and bend over so I can heal you."

But again, to put a +2 enchantment on ammunition would be way too expensive and limited.

AmberVael
2008-11-30, 11:27 AM
And again I am not sure if you can use power storing on a ranged weapon

You can't. It's only for melee weapons.
Also, you'd want Spell Storing anyways (though it is also limited to melee) since it stores spells. Power Storing stores psionic powers.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-30, 12:39 PM
Just hang out with undead folk. Adding negative energy damage is fairly easy.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-30, 01:21 PM
Well, I like the idea of making him a living pincushion...

Also, he often flies around on his giant eagle mount, or goes on walls and such using his monstrous spider mount. So I think I need something with a bit more distance.
Well, you could make a crawling tattoo of a healing power.

You could use the "deliver touch powers" option of your psicrystal, and load your psicrystal into a sling (and if you're at 15th or higher, you could just use Channel Power to do the same once it gets there).

chiasaur11
2008-11-30, 03:06 PM
How about a healing shiv?

Pie Guy
2008-11-30, 03:12 PM

I'm the one that always says that! *gloveslap* Have at you!

But, the touch spellwith psicrystal would probably work.

Epinephrine
2008-11-30, 03:14 PM
Inquisitor Bracers from MIC.

Keld Denar
2008-11-30, 03:18 PM
Cleric4/Warlock1/Eldritch Disciple10 gives you lazer beams that you can shoot at your party to heal them. PEW PEW PEW.

Not a material weapon, but all the fun is still there.

PEW PEW PEW! ELDRITCH CHAINED LAZER HEALZ PEW PEW PEW!!!

Neo
2008-11-30, 03:19 PM
can't really remember as haven't played 3.5 in a while, but you could technically see if you can just make it do positive energy damage, which if I remember it heals living creatures and damages undead ones.

mabriss lethe
2008-11-30, 03:29 PM
Just shoot them anyway, claiming that you're marking them for "after combat healing." And they better not remove that arrow, else they can't redeem it for healing after the battle.

Darrin
2008-11-30, 03:45 PM
So, how exactly does one pull this off? I am thinking of using a hand crossbow for this, since his Str score is only a 5. However, I feel it is rather unelf-like. He has a Dex score of 13 if that matters.

Bard X/Arcane Archer 2 for imbue arrow. Or Arcane Disciple to add some cure spells. Use the fowling/blunt arrows (from Races of the Wild?).

Moriato
2008-11-30, 04:40 PM
If I remember correctly, masters of the wild has magic arrows that do cure light wounds on hit.

Edit: Just looked it up, it's an "Arrow of Cure Light Wounds". How apt. They also have cure moderate, serious, and critical versions, and they do exactly what you think they do. It does stipulate that the arrows do no damage when they hit, except to undead, of course, with a will save, so your strength wont effect them at all.

newbDM
2008-11-30, 08:21 PM
You can't. It's only for melee weapons..

I see. Thank you for clearing that up.

You can't. It's only for melee weapons.
Also, you'd want Spell Storing anyways (though it is also limited to melee) since it stores spells. Power Storing stores psionic powers.

But my current character is a psion.

Well, you could make a crawling tattoo of a healing power.

You could use the "deliver touch powers" option of your psicrystal, and load your psicrystal into a sling (and if you're at 15th or higher, you could just use Channel Power to do the same once it gets there).

I am not a fan of psicyrtals. Plus, that would only give you one shot, it would be risky to the crystal, and it really doesn't give the feel I am after.

I'm the one that always says that! *gloveslap* Have at you!

A what?

Inquisitor Bracers from MIC.

I just looked them up, and they would be great if it wasn't for the same Melee instead of Ranged issue. :smallfrown:

Cleric4/Warlock1/Eldritch Disciple10 gives you lazer beams that you can shoot at your party to heal them. PEW PEW PEW.

Not a material weapon, but all the fun is still there.

PEW PEW PEW! ELDRITCH CHAINED LAZER HEALZ PEW PEW PEW!!!

Well, I am trying to work something out with my current PC, and I am looking for 3.5 material.

can't really remember as haven't played 3.5 in a while, but you could technically see if you can just make it do positive energy damage, which if I remember it heals living creatures and damages undead ones.

Where is the positive energy damage listed?

Just shoot them anyway, claiming that you're marking them for "after combat healing." And they better not remove that arrow, else they can't redeem it for healing after the battle.

If I didn't think the party would turn on him and kill him I'd try it. :smallbiggrin:

If I remember correctly, masters of the wild has magic arrows that do cure light wounds on hit.

Edit: Just looked it up, it's an "Arrow of Cure Light Wounds". How apt. They also have cure moderate, serious, and critical versions, and they do exactly what you think they do. It does stipulate that the arrows do no damage when they hit, except to undead, of course, with a will save, so your strength wont effect them at all.

Thank you for the information. However, that is quite a bit of cash, and with only a Dex of +1 and the BaB of a psion I would probably lose the majority of them. But so far it seems like the only option.

Still, I would like there to be an initial "OUCH!!!". The point of this is as much to poke fun at the other player as it is to actually help.

Squider
2008-11-30, 08:22 PM
There's a dragon magazine that has such a weapon.
I can't remember which, but it has a big article on st. Cuthbert if that helps.
anyway, there are crossbow bolts which are tipped with cure mods, i think, instead of, you know, arrow heads (or would that be bolt heads?)

elliott20
2008-11-30, 10:40 PM
man, the mental image is just priceless.

*THWACK*
"HEY! What the hell was that for?"
"I'm trying to heal you. How do you feel?"
"My head hurts like the dickens but... I guess I do feel a little better..."
*THWACK*
"OUCH! was that also a healing boomerang too?"
"no, that was just to make ME feel better"

FMArthur
2008-12-01, 12:58 AM
What happens on a Coup De Grace with a healing item? Death or fun?

Thurbane
2008-12-01, 01:35 AM
You could use a whip with Inquisitor Bracers, but it's not exactly what you're looking for...

Talic
2008-12-01, 02:03 AM
Cursed Item. Opposite effect. Say, Merciful.

All damage the weapon deals is converted to nonlethal. In addition, the weapon heals 2d6 extra damage.

End effect? Guy has 12 damage. Shoot him with the bow, dealing 5 damage and healing 7.

He takes 5 nonlethal, and then receives 7 points of healing, which erase 7 points of lethal damage, and all 5 points of nonlethal.

JackMage666
2008-12-01, 02:33 AM
I would just homebrew it as a +5 weapon enhancement - Converts damage to healing of equal amounts.

Ellisthion
2008-12-01, 09:49 AM
NB: I note the OP's character in question is a psion, and therefore the method below probably won't work, if my limited knowledge of psionics is correct. This is still handy for anyone else trying the same thing.

Take Smiting Spell, from the PHB II. It allows you to cast a touch spell onto a weapon or piece of ammunition, for +1 Metamagic.

Cast your healing spell onto an arrow, and whip out a composite longbow. Now you have a healing spell with a range of 550 ft. Alternatively, whip out a thrown weapon as everyone else has suggested, but that limits the range. Hmm. I wonder if the damage from the attack or the heal happens first?

It does take a standard action to cast, and another to shoot... but the spell lasts a minute, so you can cast it before combat.

One advantage of this method is the only cost is a single metamagic feat, and Smiting Spell is a really good one.

newbDM
2008-12-02, 02:12 AM
Well, it turns out that according to the Magic Item Compendium Power Storing is also available as an option for Ranged Weapons as well. Spell Storing is not, which is odd.

So, I guess it's pincushion time! :smallbiggrin:

Thank you all for the help. It has been greatly appreciated!

bosssmiley
2008-12-02, 08:00 AM
What happens on a Coup De Grace with a healing item? Death or fun?

x/0 of course. :smalleek:

Serious answer: blunt-headed arrows (Races of Tree-Hugging Sylvan Pastoral Idyll Fantasia) + Spell Arrows with healing magics bound into them. Shoot people full of healing arrow goodness. :smallbiggrin: